i can't play dolby atmos when i watch movie

Hi there,

i did everything to be able to listen to movie in atmos, i cant seem to be able to do it. I am able to listen to music in atmos but i cant with movies. I dod all the setup on the tv but i still cant. It always say Stereo Pcm. I am out of idea honestly.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just telling us what your problem is, does not help the community to help you. What TV (make and model) do you use? What Sonos gear? How is the Sonos set up connected to your TV? Do you watch using TV apps or an external source like an Apple TV or BD-player?

I have a Hisense 55U78KM the system is connected with the wifi, i have the Arc two era 100 and the sub gen 3. Everything is being listened through the tv app (disney,netflix,apple) Like i said if i want to listen to music through the sonos app, the music that is compatible will be playing in atmos and i will see it on the app. But if i watch a movie i cant seem to be able to do it.

Userlevel 7

I have a Hisense 55U78KM the system is connected with the wifi, i have the Arc two era 100 and the sub gen 3. Everything is being listened through the tv app (disney,netflix,apple) Like i said if i want to listen to music through the sonos app, the music that is compatible will be playing in atmos and i will see it on the app. But if i watch a movie i cant seem to be able to do it.

Set the Digital Audio Out setting on the TV to Pass Through. Then test the film Black Panther on Disney+.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state „the system is connected with the wifi“. There‘s no HDMI from the TV’ eARC Port to the Arc?

I did all the setting required on the tv, it is set auto for the eARC the digital audio out setting is on pass through also but it still dont work, and yes there is a hdmi wired from the earc hdmi outlet to the arc bar. Will it work if i plug a external outlet like an apple tv or something like that ?

Userlevel 7

I did all the setting required on the tv, it is set auto for the eARC the digital audio out setting is on pass through also but it still dont work, and yes there is a hdmi wired from the earc hdmi outlet to the arc bar. Will it work if i plug an external outlet like an apple tv or something like that ?

It’s possible that Dolby Atmos audio isn’t supported on those native apps on your TV. Using an external media device like an Apple TV 4K or Roku Ultra should work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your TV is more than capable of this, so fix its settings. From rtings.com:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When using Netflix for example, does your membership allow for Atmos? Are you using the original English language or a different language setting?

All the setting are correct i watched videos on how to properly set them. When i put on a movie that support atmos, the atmos vision logo appears on the right corner. And yes i have the membership that allows me to listen to atmos, i have the OG version on every movie and it even says (Atmos) beside the language. So maybe a bug in the app ?

Userlevel 7

Hi

Hopefully you can find these in your manual regarding setup for a Dolby Atmos external speaker. Disregard WISA information as that feature is not applicable to Sonos. Make sure you have followed the setup as described.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You state you did all the settings, but do not mention what the settings are. Could you post pictures of these settings, because it seems that’s where the problem lies.

There you go, my setting have are the exact one you sent, but i still am not able to listen to movie in atmos, BUT music i can so the wiring must be ok right ? I really dont get it, could it be just a bug in the app or should i reset the whole system ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is not “a bug in the app”, the speaker just plays what it is sent. The problem is the TV is not sending it in the format you desire.

In that first screenshot, I can’t tell if passthrough is enabled or not (a common problem with chekboxes drawn like this).

Userlevel 7

@PiggyArc What is the Digital Audio Format setting on the TV currently set to? What other options are available?

If i turn off pass through these are the option for the digital audio format

Userlevel 7

With Pass Through disabled and Digital Audio Format set to Auto, what audio format do you get for the following films?

Disney+ - Black Panther

Apple TV+ - Greyhound

Netflix - Don’t Look Up

With Pass Through enabled, what audio format do you get for each film?

It is still stereo PCM for all three movies. What is weird is that, when we were in our old appartment about 1 month ago, i only had the arc connected because i could not make too much noise, and everything worked i was able to listen to EVERYTHING in atmos. But is was also on a different tv so i dont know. I will reset my system play with the wire or something because as far as the tv setting goes i am out of idea.