Video Streaming

• 30 July 2006
  • 42 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
If SONOS had a product that provided the same features for Video as they do for audio then yes I'd certainly consider it because of the quality and features of their current solution.

They don't, so I currently have a Buffalo LinkTheatre for streaming video (and photos, and audio ... but of course I don't use the latter!) In fact for non-HD media the (802.11g) wireless network in my home is sufficient to stream video despite what is said in the bbc article. Though I do now have HD media, so have moved to a wired setup for it.

For less than 150ukp, with an upscanning progressive DVD player included, these media players are almost commodity items already. The LinkTheatre is excellent, though don't necessarily take that as a recommendation as there may be better options available now - I haven't looked at the market place for a few months.

But, there is a 40% market out there, users that really want to explore this market and have an active interest.

That's just not true. There's around 17% who really want this, and another 17% who say "would be nice".

I also agree that this forum doesn't make a good market indicator.

I woould also say that market interest isn't always that useful anyway. Sure people want a streaming video solution, but what form factor? What price point? etc. These things make a big difference to what a product is like and whether people actually buy it.

Take audio streaming: it's been around for at least 10 years, but it took the likes of Sonos to package it appropriately to make it popular and desirable to non-techies. It also required the supporting technology (home networks, decent spec hardware, etc.) to be available.

The world already has good video streaming solutions in WME, MythTV, Apple, etc. which some on this forum already use.

Is it ready for primetime? My view is not yet. Should Sonos do something in this space. I would say a resounding YES, but only when the time (and the market, and the technology) is right and I'm not convinced that is now.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure the escient products don't rip DVDs but they do control DVD changers.I meant to link to the kaleidescape... http://www.kaleidascape.com/products/server.html as it stores up to 825 DVDs. Here is an overview of the entire system... http://www.kaleidascape.com/products/ or http://www.kaleidascape.com/files/datasheets/Kaleidescape-Overview.pdf.
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure the escient products don't rip DVDs but they do control DVD changers.

I would like to have video centrally managed and accessible via a remote similar to the current Sonos remote. Even if it was via a DVD changer, the ability to access any of my titles either in the Home Theater, living room, or bed room would be very cool.
Userlevel 2
But, there is a 40% market out there, users that really want to explore this market and have an active interest.I'm not sure I would take 31 votes at a techie forum to equal any market.
7. If Sonos can figure out a way to allow users to legally rip (or download) DVDs and other video content to a central storage location and then conveniently view it in any room, the product would be a huge hit.It's been done for a quite a while now... http://www.escient.com/products/dvdm552.php.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
1. To my mind, the Sonos audio product is practically perfect.

2. I would like Sonos to be a great commercial success. Anybody who makes a product this good deserves that success.

3. The current market for Sonos products is limited to a relatively small slice of the market.

4. If I were managing Sonos, I would be trying to expand my addressable market.

5. Video seems like a potentially large market.

6. Just streaming cable to mulitiple rooms does not strike me as a barn burner.

7. If Sonos can figure out a way to allow users to legally rip (or download) DVDs and other video content to a central storage location and then conveniently view it in any room, the product would be a huge hit.
Userlevel 2
As you can see about 60% of the market interest is in the don't care or no thanks category. And, if you look at the explanations, most people are concerned that you would modify the existing Sonos -- which was not my original thought when I started this poll. I was proposing a separate product. Plus, there aren't enough providers in terms of videos that can be streamed. This is changing of course.

But, there is a 40% market out there, users that really want to explore this market and have an active interest.

Does this "new product" qualify as something for the emerging market then?

Should Sonos build a separate product and test this market?

If implemented how much would people be willing to pay for it?

I guess its time to run a separate poll to answer these questions.

Very interesting discussion .. I'm impressed that people are afraid to overload Sonos, shows your dedication to the company.
Userlevel 2
The term "one-trick pony" is usually very negative

So is the term "jack of all trades..."

Personally, I'd like to have video streaming (so i could watch a good quality picture from my satellite box in another room) but I don't think I would want it in my Sonos system at the moment. It would be better off being a dedicated system, and with current technology would require wired rather than wireless connection.
I voted I don't care... I almost voted it would be nice... but I have no video I plan to stream.

If there was some and it all integrated nice maybe I would. Not something I'm excited about at this time.
Badge +2
Hey cool, a poll! 😃 My gut reaction to this poll is that I do NOT want video features to be added to the Sonos. The term "one-trick pony" is usually very negative, but in the case of Sonos I am ever appreciative of it!
Badge +20
Perhaps in another product - but not in "my Sonos" thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I vote no too and, it seems, so does the boss of Sonos who reckons it's 10years away:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5187382.stm
Userlevel 2
I votes no thanks for pretty much the same reasons as Charles. A separate component would be a cool thing... but I don't see myself having as many rooms having video in the same way as audio. Granted, there would like be more than one though!
Userlevel 2
I completely disagree. I believe that there is a market out there that is just waiting to be explored.

The only popular service out there that sells videos right now is Apple and the video quality really sucks. Inspite of this limitation, the very small video iPod is selling a lot.

I am not proposing that Sonos build a HD quality video product .. all I am saying is that they look into it and see how far they can take it. The least they can do is build a video screen right on the controller, they've got the Apple's scrollwheel, it's one more step to get the video piece integrated and another step to get the video output from it.

One year from now, I predict this market will be saturated with products from Sony, Roku and several other small players.

My 2 cents.
-Anil
Userlevel 2
I voted no thanks. Not that I wouldn't want to be able to stream HD throughout my house but I would want it to be a separate product. I just see combining both into one product bringing about too many compromises across the board regarding hardware, installation, software implementation, and daily usage.
I've added an option to cater for those who feel that adding video streaming to the system isn't desirable.

Cheers,

Keith