Television Audio on new Sonos Beam Cuts Out Periodically

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

I'm having similar problem here.
Sonos Beam cuts out randomly, white light on top of the Beam flashes for about a minute.
Audio comes back when the light is solid again.

Diagnostic confirmation number: 1357115958.
Same problem. Watching TV, Sonos beam connected via ARC with HDMI cable, audio cuts out. I have to switch the TV off/on again to restore the audio. Very frustrated. I admit I havent noticed what the white light on the Beam is doing during these problems, will check next time.
Hey there. I’m having the same issue. Seems to only happen when playing on the PS4. I tried changing cables and it didn’t work. The TV is a brand new Sony too.

The diagnotic number is 570026208

Thanks and speak soon,

George
Hey there. I’m having the same issue. Seems to only happen when playing on the PS4. I tried changing cables and it didn’t work. The TV is a brand new Sony too.

The diagnotic number is 570026208

Thanks and speak soon,

George

It's possibly the 'Bravia control for HDMI'. Perhaps see what happens when you switch that off for the PlayStation in the TV settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem. Diagnostic number 206123009

the Beam connects to Play1 normally on music or thru airplay. However voice drops intermittently on Play1 while signal inputs from HDMI thru Beam

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I see that your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely the cause of the audio issues. There are many wireless networks in your area, and they're running on a variety of channels. I'd recommend trying out a few to see which is best. Try changing your router's wireless channel to 6, and 11 to start, and see if that helps.

Also, you might try some of the above suggestions of swapping out the HDMI cable, or unplugging your other HDMI devices, and reconnecting them one by one.
Hey Ken,

thanks for the response. Yeh, I wondered if it was that but it doesn’t make a difference. I’ve played with all the audio output settings but it just seems to happen with the PS4. It happens really sporadically, but it throws up the input device name (HDMI 2, etc.) on screen as if it’s lost connection. The audio drops out for a moment and then returns.

Apple TV and normal TV don’t seem to be affected at all.

Thanks again,

George
Same problem here. Samsung TV. Probably 10 dropouts an hour- driving me crazy. 936615404
Same problem here. Samsung TV. Probably 10 dropouts an hour- driving me crazy. 936615404
Is it just happening with your PS4? If so, I changed the audio output type on the PS4 itself (audio menu somewhere) from the default. It hasn’t dropped out since.
Same issue here. Was fine for a couple of months now it cuts out. Same cable as before. This same cable works with a Panasonic sound bar just fine. Same issue on two TVs and those TVs are both fine with the Panasonic soundbar. When the sound cuts out with my Panasonic tv I lose picture as well until it reconnects. While it is disconnected the light on the beam flashes white. My diagnostic number is

2055577621, same issue started a few days ago, sound cuts out for a few milliseconds every minute or so. Sonos Beam connected via ARC to Philips 50" 7303 TV then TV to Xbox one X. Becoming increasingly frustraiting this speaker. Also tried factory reset which didnt solve the problem. Now I cant even connect to the app without having ethernet cable plugged into the back of the beam, nightmare. 

This is driving me insane... 

I am so close to saying goodbye to Sonos as there just seems to be so many things wrong with it... 

here is my diagnostics confirmation code for this one of many problems…

I have re seated all HDMI cables since and the same issue persists. However, I have managed to link the app to the speaker and I no longer need the ethernet cable plugged into the beam. I have spent all day going through a process of elimination and I have narrowed it down to possibly being a software issue on my 50PUS7383/12 Philips Tv, I have emailed them with the issue. Its so bizzare why it would suddenly start doing this. 

Rather than depending on the Community to assist you, why don’t you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

Update:
Brand new 4K hdmi cable arrived. Same issue.
also tried optical out of tv using the Sonos supplied adapter with a variety of hdmi cables. Same result every time.

so, either the beam has developed a hardware fault or a firmware change has caused the issue. From viewing this forum it’s clear that a number of owners have had this issue spanning the last year. What should I do? Device is currently not fit for purpose.
Update:
Brand new 4K hdmi cable arrived. Same issue.
also tried optical out of tv using the Sonos supplied adapter with a variety of hdmi cables. Same result every time.

so, either the beam has developed a hardware fault or a firmware change has caused the issue. From viewing this forum it’s clear that a number of owners have had this issue spanning the last year. What should I do? Device is currently not fit for purpose.

I would perhaps now contact your local Sonos Customer Care direct by phone, explaining all you have done so far.

I have re seated all HDMI cables since and the same issue persists. However, I have managed to link the app to the speaker and I no longer need the ethernet cable plugged into the beam. I have spent all day going through a process of elimination and I have narrowed it down to possibly being a software issue on my 50PUS7383/12 Philips Tv, I have emailed them with the issue. Its so bizzare why it would suddenly start doing this. 

At least it appears you’re getting to the root of the problem. Have you checked the Philips website to see if there perhaps is a software update for your model of TV?

This is driving me insane... 

I am so close to saying goodbye to Sonos as there just seems to be so many things wrong with it... 

So did you perhaps try the suggestion of using an audio extractor/splitter, as mentioned to you earlier in this thread?

Sometimes the path inside the TV is different for outputted data than it is for internal data. See all of the various posts about Samsung and LG TV’s that can’t send out Dolby Digital data via either optical or HDMI-ARC without a certain amount of delay. Some of those TVs have been “fixed” with software updates by the TV manufacturer, but apparently not all.

Ok this is resolved. The cause was bizarre:

My Sonos Connect was faulty. I tried to play some music but the music kept stopping on all my speakers and I noticed a flashing white light. I unplugged everything with the idea of resetting it all. However, the Connect would not give me an orange setup light no matter what I did. I suspected the Connect at this point and unplugged it and tried the beam out with some Netflix through my PS4: no dropouts.

took Connect back to richer sounds (my retailer). They failed to get it to reset and gave me a replacement and all working fine now.

as an aside, the setup app is awesome for new installations and adding new speakers but it is entirely useless for setting things up in my situation. It is not clear what you are supposed to do at all. The correct route is to choose new setup and add new speaker options but it does not tell you to reset them first to put them into flashing orange light mode. In short app could be enhanced.
Ok this is resolved. The cause was bizarre:

My Sonos Connect was faulty. I tried to play some music but the music kept stopping on all my speakers and I noticed a flashing white light. I unplugged everything with the idea of resetting it all. However, the Connect would not give me an orange setup light no matter what I did. I suspected the Connect at this point and unplugged it and tried the beam out with some Netflix through my PS4: no dropouts.

took Connect back to richer sounds (my retailer). They failed to get it to reset and gave me a replacement and all working fine now.

as an aside, the setup app is awesome for new installations and adding new speakers but it is entirely useless for setting things up in my situation. It is not clear what you are supposed to do at all. The correct route is to choose new setup and add new speaker options but it does not tell you to reset them first to put them into flashing orange light mode. In short app could be enhanced.

Glad to hear that you have resolved all your Sonos issues.

I will just briefly mention that it is 'rare' that a user should ever need to reset any Sonos product and quite often a simple network reboot and/or product reboot solves a majority of user issues. I struggle to think of any case whatsoever, where a user needs to reset ALL their Sonos products, at the same time, where they perhaps have multiple Sonos Speakers/devices. That would only likely ever need to happen after some 'freak' total system failure (never seen that ever with multiple Sonos products within same Household), but maybe it could happen due to multiple Theft/Damage of every Sonos product in the home, via crime/flooding etc. and/or an entire system replacement with brand new devices, otherwise I’m struggling to see a case where a user would ever need to start over and create a new system from scratch by resetting all products simultaneously and then creating a new Sonos Household.
Same problem. Diagnostic number 206123009

the Beam connects to Play1 normally on music or thru airplay. However voice drops intermittently on Play1 while signal inputs from HDMI thru Beam
Well now you have one. After getting my replacement Connect the app would not find any of my existing equipment. When going down the “find my missing speakers” route it would say it had found something, not specifying what, and then fail. I did manage to get it to detect something and then it wanted me to put my phone on a makeshift Sonos network which got me to the next stage which was to put the speaker onto my own Wi-Fi network but it didn’t offer me my network in the list of available networks. I was allowed to type in my SSID manually, which I did, and when it asked for the network password it would tell me I’d got it wrong (I hadn’t, it lets you see the password you’re typing in so it was definitely correct) so that route - find missing speakers- could not be used.

I have a mesh network at home, 3 nodes that all report the same SSID. I wonder if that confused it. Interesting that it would not offer the strongest Wi-Fi network to choose from.

Anyway, I knew that starting from scratch worked because I’d done it before so that’s what I wanted to do. More importantly it worked, whereas none of the other options suggested by the app did. So, I continue to suggest that a “I want to set everything up from scratch again” option is provided.
For future reference, you didn’t need to go through any of that process. Just power off all Sonos devices.

Temporarily cable any remaining Sonos speaker to the main router/hub and then power on your remaining Sonos devices, one at a time. let each one settle before moving onto the next.

Your system will connect and then run on its own internal SonosNet signal. Open the Sonos App and add your new Connect in the usual way and just for good measure enter the WiFi SSID/Password (case sensitive) in “Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup”

Uncable the wired speaker and return it to where you had it before.

No need to reset any devices at all by doing it that way.
Thanks, wish I’d known that yesterday 🙂
Diagnostics: 1595877963