Answered

Sonos turning off Bravia TV

• 2 January 2020
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 1

Just got a Sonos Beam. Connected it to a Sony Bravia TV using HDMI ARC and set up Bravia Sync. Audio is playing great. The TV remote, Apple TV remote, etc can control the Beam volume just fine.

However, I’ve noticed that lately the TV is doing what I might call a “hard power down” after sleeping, but only after having slept for some time. By hard power down I mean that next time I try to turn the TV on by waking a Bravia Sync device (like the Apple TV), the TV won’t turn on like it did before the Beam was added. And when the TV does turn on (which requires using the TV remote), it shows the Sony logo, the Android logo, the four rotating color block animations, etc and takes a minute or so to load.

My hunch is that the Beam is somehow sending a CEC power down signal to the TV, and the TV is interpreting it as a hard power down. 

This only happens after the TV is off for an extended amount of time (an hour or two).

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by loodaddy 5 January 2020, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The exact same thing is happening to me too. I have a Sony Bravia KD55X8500F.

I notice that after an extended period of time when I switch the television on it has to completely reboot. So I get the Sony logo etc and it goes through a reboot.

I theorised  that maybe I need to wake the Sonos unit before switching the TV on, So I tried saying  Alexa to wake up the beam then switching on the TV. At first I thought that worked but then I came back after a few hours and sure enough it rebooted again when I switched it on.

So then I disconnected the beam entirely and the TV by itself didn’t exhibit the behaviour. So I can’t work out if it’s the Sony Bravia or the Beam.

I wouldn’t think the Beam knows a hard power down command, unless it is receiving it as the result of a voice command, going to the “cloud” and receiving the appropriate information to then send to the TV. It’s not a function that would make any sense for Sonos to build in to the device.

My guess is there is some sort of conflict/issue in the HDMI-CEC connection. I would first check for updates for the TV from Sony, and then contact Sony directly, since there are no reports of this behavior on other TV manufacturers. 

Userlevel 1

@Thumbpicker, glad I’m not going crazy :) 

Posted a thread at Sony just now, but hopefully somebody from Sonos can comment here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks - my warranty on TV runs out in like 5 days - so I’d like to work it out as quickly as possible lol

Can you send me a link to your thread?

Userlevel 1

http://bit.ly/35ojSCu

Userlevel 1

Ok so I switched to connecting the Beam to the TV with the optical adapter. The rebooting problem stopped (since Beam can’t access the TV using CEC). After playing with a few settings, it seems like this works just fine with only one major downside vs. using ARC/CEC.

For the settings changes:

• For each input and the built-in Apps, turn off Clear Audio, set output to Dolby Digital, and set Speakers to Audio System
  • Make sure “Use IR” in on in the Sonos app
  • For me, the TV remote and Apple TV remote could control Sonos volume using IR (not sure if this will take extra steps for you), and the DVR remote controls Sonos volume using IR when you press the TV button first (assuming it’s already set up with the TV remote code as a universal remote).
  • Set up Sony’s Android TV skill in Alexa since Sonos can’t control the TV directly over optical (but since Sonos acts as an Echo it works just fine indirectly)

EDIT: See below for fix on this. The only weirdness seams to be that the on-screen volume meter doesn’t stay synced with the actual Sonos volume. So while up and down always effectively work to increase/decrease Sonos volume, and anything that moves the TV volume meter up/down will increase/decrease volume Sonos volume, you could get into situations where the TV says “0” and you aren’t at minimum Sonos volume (but you can keep pressing down to decrease volume), the TV says “100” and you aren’t at maximum Sonos volume, (but you can keep pressing up to increase volume), and things in between won’t consistently match to an actual Sonos volume (so “25” on the TV may be really quiet, or really loud).

Userlevel 1

I think this thread might be able to help with the volume sync issues, I’ll try it and report back:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/xfinity-remote-and-sonos-app-volume-synchronization-6833277

Userlevel 1

Ok, I set Bravia output to be Fixed (see https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-55x900f/articles/00032051?model=XBR-55X900F&category=televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-).

This locks Bravia output to a certain avg. volume so Sonos is always in full control of volume, and they don’t get out of sync. The TV volume meter doesn’t show up when you change volume, but it does show a “TV Volume is Fixed” message. To me this is preferable to a misleading volume meter. This seems to be a common issue (https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbase-turn-off-sony-message-tv-volume-is-fixed-6803203). Since changing back to variable isn’t desirable, and Sonos can only be trained to one IR remote format, I think this is a dead end.

Badge

same issue, reboots on start up after in standby for a few hours, but doesn't happen every time, very strange. no help from sony or sonos, they don't know. never heppended with my old soundbar. using sony x900e

Same problem here! This is really annoying. Please someone help to solve this problem...

Badge

I have changed a setting on my tv that I read on a forum was working for someone, and my tv hasn't rebooted in days now. Go to settings>sound> turn off audio system prioritization.

dont know why that would help but it seems to be. someone try this out and let me know if it works for you too.

Badge

I have changed a setting on my tv that I read on a forum was working for someone, and my tv hasn't rebooted in days now. Go to settings>sound> turn off audio system prioritization.

dont know why that would help but it seems to be. someone try this out and let me know if it works for you too.

Scratch that, was good for three days and just rebooted today.

Full disclosure: I’m not a BRVIA user.

This article may lead somewhere.

Badge

Badge

Ok so I switched to connecting the Beam to the TV with the optical adapter. The rebooting problem stopped (since Beam can’t access the TV using CEC). After playing with a few settings, it seems like this works just fine with only one major downside vs. using ARC/CEC.

For the settings changes:

• For each input and the built-in Apps, turn off Clear Audio, set output to Dolby Digital, and set Speakers to Audio System
  • Make sure “Use IR” in on in the Sonos app
  • For me, the TV remote and Apple TV remote could control Sonos volume using IR (not sure if this will take extra steps for you), and the DVR remote controls Sonos volume using IR when you press the TV button first (assuming it’s already set up with the TV remote code as a universal remote).
  • Set up Sony’s Android TV skill in Alexa since Sonos can’t control the TV directly over optical (but since Sonos acts as an Echo it works just fine indirectly)

EDIT: See below for fix on this. The only weirdness seams to be that the on-screen volume meter doesn’t stay synced with the actual Sonos volume. So while up and down always effectively work to increase/decrease Sonos volume, and anything that moves the TV volume meter up/down will increase/decrease volume Sonos volume, you could get into situations where the TV says “0” and you aren’t at minimum Sonos volume (but you can keep pressing down to decrease volume), the TV says “100” and you aren’t at maximum Sonos volume, (but you can keep pressing up to increase volume), and things in between won’t consistently match to an actual Sonos volume (so “25” on the TV may be really quiet, or really loud).

This still doesn’t fix the HDMI arc issue, we should be able to use that without the tv rebooting randomly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This question isn’t resolved as far as I’m concerned. Using the optical method isn’t a solution - it’s a workaround.

Yes there is no resolution here.  Do we have any word from Sonos?

Badge

What model Sony tv everyone have? I’m on x900e. I can’t believe there isn’t more complaints about this online, I could only imagine how many people have a song tv and a beam.

X850e

I was just told by Sonos support that it’s Sony’s issue so deal with them or use optical..  sigh.

Badge

I was just told by Sonos support that it’s Sony’s issue so deal with them or use optical..  sigh.

The beam is the thing causing it though. Doesn’t happen when the beam is removed. Doesn’t happen with a different sound bar. Returning this weekend even though I really want to keep it.

I totally agree.  It seems like the issue started a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder if there was a beam update around that time.

Badge

I totally agree.  It seems like the issue started a couple of weeks ago.  I wonder if there was a beam update around that time.

How long you had the tv and beam set up? Was fine before a couple weeks ago? Could be either a Sony or Sonos update that changed something.

Just a few days- however I’ve noticed that this thread and the thread on the Sony website both started a couple of weeks ago

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Did they say why it’s Sony’s issue? If I have to go back to Sony it’d be great to explain what the problem seems to be so they can address it.