Sonos Surround Speakers crackle/static sound

• 20 March 2017
  • 54 replies

Good day, I have a Playbar and two Play 1s as surround speakers. Coming from my left Play 1, I sometimes hear crackling or static sound coming from it. Anybody have this issue before and if so how did you fix it. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Been with Sonos for 2 1/2 years now. Biggest mistake switching from Bose to Sonos. Never had a single proble with Bose. I am having constant static and pitching sounds from sound bar. I had to return soundbar last year for the same exact reason. Anytime a voice or sound go’s up quickly, the sound bar crackles or gets muffled. Very frustrating! Please advise what to do?
Same issue coming from my play 1 surround speaker

Diagnostic confirmation 8470339
Same issue 1652974714
Hi there. Same issue here with a surround setup using PlayBar plus two Play 1's and a sub. Started as infrequent pop/hum and got louder and more consistent over the course of a couple hours. Tried isolating out the surrounds but it is still coming through the playbar. Submitted diagnostics 1514755941.
Hi. Unfortunately, I have the same issue with my PLAY:5 - non-stop background crackling whilst playing and for a couple of minutes after finishing. Have hooked up directly to router via ethernet, but makes no difference. Also, a pair of PLAY:1s hooked up as a group with the PLAY:5 have no crackling, so I assume that issue is with the latter. I have raised diagnostics report 1102268480 - would you please investigate and advise how to remedy. Thanks
I’m having the same issue; crackling sound at low volume, and a horrendous muffled/echo sound, only when watching cable. I have xfinity x1, been fine for over a year until the day before yesterday.. This noise is infuriating..

Confirmation #1809750241
I am also experiencing this issue. I have had 0 issues with my setup of a play bar and two Play 1's working in conjunction with Xfinixy X1 and a Sony XBR49X900E. Then all of the sudden today I started getting a crackling noise from one of the Play 1's. Diagnostic # 2066599123. Please assist.
I’ve been a Sonos fan until today. I had six Sonos speakers that worked fine until recently. That’s when an older model Play 5 started crackling. I called Sonos a number of times and finally was told to make a video of the cracking speaker and email it to a customer service rep, which I did. Yup, the friendly rep said, your speaker is crackling. The best Sonos could do was to offer me a new speaker at a discount. Not what I wanted to hear. If you spend $500 on a speaker, it should last more than five years. I’ve noticed numerous complaints about crackling speakers, which tells me that Sonos has a built in problem with its speakers that could be an Achilles heel for a company that deals in only one specialty market. Sonos should guarantee its speakers for at least a decade with normal wear and tear. Or, at least, the company should have places where you can take your speakers for repair. They don’t repair defective speakers, which I simply can’t understand. I treat my speakers very well. Never blast them. And yet, Sonos expects me to pay $350 to replace a $500 speaker I bought five years ago and no longer functions. One more complaint: Sonos needs to have a complaint hotline online when customers want to contact managers about their complaints.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're hearing a crackle or static sound on your speakers, try disabling TruePlay, and then tuning the speaker again. If that doesn't help, please give us a call. You can find our phone number and hours in your region here.
Hi, I submitted a diagnostic # 1177242075

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I submitted a diagnostic # 1177242075

Thanks

Hi there,

It looks like you have a Play:1. Are you having a crackling sound come from it? From what audio sources? There isn't a whole lot in your report that would explain why there's an issue. You might try running Trueplay tuning and see if that helps.

I have the same issue started with my 2x play 3’s. I have drop out and crackling.

my diagnostic number is 178701539

I have the same issue and I have no idea what's wrong. Already updated to 7.2 and reconfig the True Play already.
May I suggest that you submit a system diagnostic and post the number here, so that the folks at Sonos can look at the log files for your system, and perhaps help you further? You'd need to run that diagnostic within about 10 minutes of the crackling occurring, I'm sure there's a time limit on how much data they include in the diagnostic submission.
I've submitted a system diagnostic.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I've submitted a system diagnostic.

Hi Cody Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you are having challenges with your play 1. I can definitively say that I have no issue with any of the Sonos products I have including 6 Play 1s... (2 are set up as a 5.1 surround pair) ... so unless static exists on the original audio file... I'm confident something doesn't seem right.

FYI - You need to post the diagnostic number back here so the Sonos Staff can connect it to you and post her after seeing your post, and then reviewing the associated diagnostic. If you don't have/recall the number... submit another within 10 minutes of the problem occurring and post again back here on this thread.
Thanks! I didn't know I had to post the number. Diagnostic number 7232045.
I didn't mean to say this thread was answered by the way. Must of hit the thumbs up by mistake!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thanks! I didn't know I had to post the number. Diagnostic number 7232045.

Hi cody.brian, thanks for posting your diagnostics. One issue I can see is a lot of wireless noise around the PLAYBAR, which may be contributing to the problem. Please try to move anything electrical or wireless as far away as is practical for you from the PLAYBAR. Your router, wireless extenders and Hi-Fi amplifiers are common causes of interference if they are too close. I can see 7 networks sharing the same wireless channel all with a similar name as 'TELUS######-2.4G'. If these are all yours, then they all seem to have quite a strong signal and I would suggest that you do not need so many access points active at once and switching a few off may actually increase performance. If just one of these is yours, then try changing it to channel 6.

Other than wireless interference, the issue could simply be a faulty speaker. You can test this by removing it from the surround sound setup via the Room Settings menu in the app. Connect it directly to the router with Ethernet cable and play some music through it. If you still get the crackle, then we'd have to do a replacement for you.
I have the same issue, submitted diagnostics - Your confirmation number is: 7783178.
Having the same problems. My diagnostics confirmation # 7842710
Same issue here. Diag# 7948200
Same issue Diagnosic #7966848
Badge
Same problem with a gen 1 play 5. Diagnostic 7988204
Connecting to the router directly and also through the bridge when music is played there is increasing crackling on the speaker. When the music is paused the cracklings remains fir a couple of mins in an intermittent way then disappears. It returns as soon as the music starts to play again.
It would seem to be a speaker issue so what can we do to resolve it?
Same cracking issue when using Airplay, even when i change the output to stereo. Diagnostic #78508007. This happens whether the output is a LG Electronics OLED65E6P TV (2016 Model) or an iphone 7.