Sonos doesn’t really do “5.1”

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

150 replies

Related and happy to split this off but does Sonos’ recent release of its Amp with HDMI ARC and a sub jack change this discussion at all? Obviously you’re buying or using additional speakers at that point but does it change things in terms of Sonos’ ability to deliver 5.1? I wasn’t clear on where the other 3 come from in that setup.

I'd say that is not the best thread on the subject by a long shot. There is some true statements made regarding what Sonos does with home theatre, but a lot of opinions and garbabe as well.

Regarding the Amp though, it doesn't really change the 'maximum' home theatre setup you can achieve in terms of what audio formats are supported, it just changes how you arrange different products and speakers to get there...if that makes sense. The HDMI ARC connection on the Beam and the Sonos Amp is an improvement over the optical connection in terms of CEC controls and allowing the TV to send the best audio format to be sent to Sonos. So if the video source has dolby digital 5.1 for example, the TV will pass the audio in that format. If the source is DD+ or Dolby Atmos, the TV will pass dolby digital 5.1 to Sonos. If the source is stereo PCM, Sonos will get stereo. If the source is DTS, some TVs (few) could transcode the signal to DD 5.1, but I doubt it. (There are some game consoles, blue ray players, cable boxes etc that will transcode).. So essentially, Sonos is still DD 5.1 as a result, but the posslbie sources is a bit broader.

As a general rule, most of what you would stream is going to be stereo or one of the dolby formats. Blu-ray is likely going to be in DTS formats. So if you get a blu ray player that can covert DTS to dolby, you're covered for most everything. I use an xbox one for this.

Regarding your 'other 3' comment, the Amp itself will produce stereo left and right and phantom center channel. That gives you '3' (you get the same if use a Beam/Playbar/Playbase). You can attach or sub, or wireless connect a Sonos Sub for the '.1'. So the most you can get with just the Sonos Amp and your other speakers is 3.1. To add the rear surrounds to get the remaining 2, you can use a pair of Sonos speakers, or bond a second Amp to drive your own speakers for surround.

There are also audio formats that allow for a greater number of speakers than 5 plus a sub. 7.1, 9.1, 9.2.2, etc. Sonos does not go beyond 5.1.

These are ridiculous reasons. Firstly cheaper products than Sonos support more codecs. Secondly Sonos only supports Dolby Digital 5.1. A 30 year old standard. Sonos does not even support Dolby Digital 5.1 plus.

So since the introduction of DD 5.1, maybe 3 generations of new audio codecs have been released by Dolby: DD+, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos. None of which is supported by Sonos. I don't even need to mention DTS, the de facto standard for Blurays/DVDs.

50% of Sonos costs are marketing. Maybe they should spend less money on marketing and a bit more on making great products.

I see by your history that you've been posting this type of complaint for over 2 years, which begs the question: Why would you keep a product that is clearly unfit for your purpose over 2 years? Do you seriously think Sonos is going to suddenly release DTS support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I see by your history that you've been posting this type of complaint for over 2 years, which begs the question: Why would you keep a product that is clearly unfit for your purpose over 2 years? Do you seriously think Sonos is going to suddenly release DTS support?

Hey - they might!

But not because of this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I'd say that is not the best thread on the subject by a long shot. There is some true statements made regarding what Sonos does with home theatre, but a lot of opinions and garbabe as well.

Yea, i gathered that after reading through it a bit.

Regarding the Amp though, it doesn't really change the 'maximum' home theatre setup you can achieve in terms of what audio formats are supported, it just changes how you arrange different products and speakers to get there...if that makes sense. The HDMI ARC connection on the Beam and the Sonos Amp is an improvement over the optical connection in terms of CEC controls and allowing the TV to send the best audio format to be sent to Sonos.

I see. So better than just an optical connection.

So if the video source has dolby digital 5.1 for example, the TV will pass the audio in that format. If the source is DD+ or Dolby Atmos, the TV will pass dolby digital 5.1 to Sonos. If the source is stereo PCM, Sonos will get stereo. If the source is DTS, some TVs (few) could transcode the signal to DD 5.1, but I doubt it. (There are some game consoles, blue ray players, cable boxes etc that will transcode).. So essentially, Sonos is still DD 5.1 as a result, but the posslbie sources is a bit broader.

As a general rule, most of what you would stream is going to be stereo or one of the dolby formats. Blu-ray is likely going to be in DTS formats. So if you get a blu ray player that can covert DTS to dolby, you're covered for most everything. I use an xbox one for this.

I think I'm following that. I have a PS3 for blu-ray. Would assume it delivers audio similar to Xbox one?

Regarding your 'other 3' comment, the Amp itself will produce stereo left and right and phantom center channel. That gives you '3' (you get the same if use a Beam/Playbar/Playbase).

Ah ok. Is that something has to be enabled or does SOnos just do that on its own with any 5.1 signal?

You can attach or sub, or wireless connect a Sonos Sub for the '.1'. So the most you can get with just the Sonos Amp and your other speakers is 3.1. To add the rear surrounds to get the remaining 2, you can use a pair of Sonos speakers, or bond a second Amp to drive your own speakers for surround.

I see. I was leaning towards the latter. Would a pair of Sonos Play:1s handle that? Does Sonos actually do 5.1 at that point or is it more of an approximation?

There are also audio formats that allow for a greater number of speakers than 5 plus a sub. 7.1, 9.1, 9.2.2, etc. Sonos does not go beyond 5.1.

Right, that makes sense. Thanks!

These are ridiculous reasons. Firstly cheaper products than Sonos support more codecs. Secondly Sonos only supports Dolby Digital 5.1. A 30 year old standard. Sonos does not even support Dolby Digital 5.1 plus.

I did say that they weren't the strongest reasons, however many months ago I said it. But I don't see the relevance of cheaper products supporting more codecs. Cheaper products also are not multiroom, make with cheaper material, not engineered as well, not as well supported, etc to various degrees. If codec support is more important than speaker quality, or in general you see a better speaker that meets your requirements and budget, then that's the speaker you should get.

So since the introduction of DD 5.1, maybe 3 generations of new audio codecs have been released by Dolby: DD+, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Atmos. None of which is supported by Sonos. I don't even need to mention DTS, the de facto standard for Blurays/DVDs.

50% of Sonos costs are marketing. Maybe they should spend less money on marketing and a bit more on making great products.

I have no idea what their marketing cost are, where did you get that 50% number from? Regardless, I can't say that I'd be happier with Sonos if they supported more codecs. Atmos perhaps, but I'm not sure I want to spend on the extra speakers, that adding more speakers wouldn't add instability, or that I have the right room in my house for it.

I think I'm following that. I have a PS3 for blu-ray. Would assume it delivers audio similar to Xbox one?

I can't say. Check the audio setting for your PS3 and see if output in dolby digital is an option.

Ah ok. Is that something has to be enabled or does SOnos just do that on its own with any 5.1 signal?

The phantom channel speaker is the standard, and as it understand it, can't be turned off. I haven't had a chance to set mine up yet, but this is what I was told when it was introduced on this forum (I asked)

I see. I was leaning towards the latter. Would a pair of Sonos Play:1s handle that? Does Sonos actually do 5.1 at that point or is it more of an approximation?

The play:1s are excellent for surround speakers. It's technically 4.1, because of the phantom center channel, but nothing of the channels are simulated (programmatically generated) when you receive dolby digital, of that's what you mean by an approximation.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The play:1s are excellent for surround speakers. It's technically 4.1, because of the phantom center channel, but nothing of the channels are simulated (programmatically generated) when you receive dolby digital, of that's what you mean by an approximation.

I see. I just noticed in the Room Settings that you can specifically add rear speaker as opposed to just additional speakers in a group. Thanks for the help! It doesn't sound like this settles this thread or anything but I'm excited to try out this configuration with the new Amp.

One more question here: is it possible to add a Playbar for the front-center channel explicitly? I guess at that point, you would want to turn off the phantom channel on the Amp if such a thing is possible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Just to break down a few more of the bombs thrown in this thread:

"They are late to the market with Alexa, Siri etc"

They were the first 3rd party multi-room speaker to use Alexa, and the first to use Airplay 2 (which can be activated by Siri).

"no HDMI"

The Beam not only has HDMI, it has HDMI-ARC and CEC.

When I started this thread the Beam hadn’t been announced so there was no HDMI.

Yes it was. The thread was started 4 months ago, probably early August. The Beam started selling in late June.

The Beam was mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread. You referred to the Beam yourself in your 3rd post in this thread, also dated 4 months ago. The post you're currently replying to is also 4 months ago.

I agree with the general sentiment though. This thread is old and really shouldn't be considered to be current information anymore.

First post in this thread - 4 months ago, at max that means August 2018,

Beam released - June 6th, 2018.

Care to try again?

How about your claim "They are late to the market with Alexa, Siri etc"? When they are the very first to the market, exactly how late is that?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Pointless discussion. Buy what you like.

So you joined it why???
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Care to try again?

How about your claim "They are late to the market with Alexa, Siri etc"? When they are the very first to the market, exactly how late is that?

Wow, pedant city!!! My apologies I got my months mixed up, Makes no blooming difference, the HDMI that came out of the back of the Beam was as much use as a one legged man at a backside kicking contest. The entire discussion was build around the Base and Bar as part of 5.1. Not many people were using the Beam for that at the time. You will no doubt provide a figure?

As for late to the party with Alexa and Siri (not that I remember mentioning SIRI though I’m sure you will correct me if I am wrong) that is a matter of fact. I’ve had my SONOS kit for years and it still doesn’t have google home compatibility without a workaround with 3rd party apps and it was an age before it was Alexa ready.

Typical SONOS owners, have to keep justifying their purchases and never acknowledging any weaknesses in the product. How will that ever see things improved?

For the rest of the bandwagon jumpers on this series of comments may I politely suggest you read the first question posed back at the beginning of August which was only asking what fellow SONOS owners thought of SONOS’s 5.1 claims which were grossly over exaggerated and their poor attitude to their customer base.

They were initially set to ambient but I changed it to full early on.

Even if i cant use the play bar with the amp, will I be able to add additional speakers to my setup?

The amp is such a mystery to me. I've read so much on it and I figured since I've already spent all this money already, why not pay a little more if it'll improve the experience by adding more speakers.

But you're saying thats not possible?

Sorry to be annoying but can you walk me through what you did with the am and the speakers you said you connected to them?

I just feel like if I can add two more front speakers I'll have a true 5.1. The playbar is absolutely badass bit I don't believe it simulates a center, left and right as everyone is saying. I only hear this if I'm Inches away from it.

I think we all know who the one legged man at the backside kicking contest is in this thread. 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I think we all know who the one legged man at the backside kicking contest is in this thread. :D

Nice of you to take responsibility...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Care to try again?

PS If you live in some parts of the world like Denmark there still isn’t Alexa integration never mind google play so yes, late to the market.

Look all I am saying is that SONOS has issues. They are fantastic for music but they have not nailed the TV stuff and there is no reason for that other than shear bloody mindedness from SONOS i.e. refusing point blank to adopt fully functioning HDMI. You can get that in a £80 soundbar from Currys. I don’t want wires all over my living room either but paying £200 to have them concealed and having the flexibility of an AV Amp with all the codecs etc I want is a better and much cheaper alternative. It also delivers better TV sound and proper 5.1. Not for everyone I know, you might want to move house etc although I would argue it adds value.

Sonos TV Speakers are for rich people for use in kitchens, bedrooms and play rooms and their products are great for that. To use it as a primary “proper” 5.1 system is just not possible. Let’s not even go into 7.1 or Atmos etc etc.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I just bought that and it sounded terrible till I:
1. Tru tuned it
2. changed the surrounds to full audio in the app
I had a Marantz 5.1 with Paradigm speakers before and they were amazing, however, after tuning and tweaking the Sonos, it gives great surround, with Netflix- that sounds almost as good
I love my Blu-rays, but more and more people need their audio from Netlfix or some other streaming service these days and the Sonos Beam with two Play 1 surrounds more than adequately provide 5.0 sound with enough bass, and the cost isnt too bad. If you must have more bass or if your room is larger than my 20x15, a subwoofer might be great, but costs a lot more
Try the 5.0 first and hear how it sounds.
So, I don't think Sonos is "stealing" anyones money
Their 5.1 solution works just fine for most people, IMO
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I just bought that and it sounded terrible till I:
1. Tru tuned it
2. changed the surrounds to full audio in the app
I had a Marantz 5.1 with Paradigm speakers before and they were amazing, however, after tuning and tweaking the Sonos, it gives great surround, with Netflix- that sounds almost as good
I love my Blu-rays, but more and more people need their audio from Netlfix or some other streaming service these days and the Sonos Beam with two Play 1 surrounds more than adequately provide 5.0 sound with enough bass, and the cost isnt too bad. If you must have more bass or if your room is larger than my 20x15, a subwoofer might be great, but costs a lot more
Try the 5.0 first and hear how it sounds.
So, I don't think Sonos is "stealing" anyones money
Their 5.1 solution works just fine for most people, IMO

Hi,

It’s great that you are happy with your sound, that’s all that matters. If you read my original post however my point is that it does not do 5.1 or 5.0 with most of your DVDs and blu-rays, it just can’t do it. I can’t stream Netflix where I live as the is no fibre broadband also, I like collecting DVD’s. When it works, SONOS speakers are a thing of beauty, sadly it doesn’t work for all the people all of the time. It is meant to be plug in and play not something that requires workarounds etc. Have a great new year and keep enjoying your SONOS kit, as will I but for me unfortunately, only for music.
Well stated Driver28. Expectations would be severely curtailed if one shopped according to what a product is, instead of what they wished it would be. Regardless of how they are marketed, Sonos' surround sound offerings are not cutting edge, nor are they cinephile worthy. Expecting them to be in the future is setting oneself up for disappointment.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I would argue that what constitutes true 5.1 is less limited than you make it out to be. For YOU 5.1 is DTS, ATMOS, DD 5.1/+ and whatever sound codecs are out there, and of course discreet front L R and Center.

But for most people SONOS. Delivers exactly what they want. A 1st class multi room audio system that also doubles as wireless 5.1 surround sound with support for the most used surround codec for tv and streaming services, DD 5.1. If you are an audiophile or movie perfectionist with massive LD or Blue-ray collections you probably won’t settle for 5.1 at all but go for a 7.1 or better system, right? Maybe gold plated thick cables? Thirèn vinyl player and good knows what speakers with analogue receiver.

The SONOS crowd aren’t into all that. They want nice looking and sounding speakers that like Apple used to, just works. Cable free and modern app driven.

The SONOS playbase/bar/beam does have L R and Center albeit not with the spatial separation you’d get with separate front speakers, but it’s still a home theater speaker. Coupled with 2 satellites and Sub it constitutes a true 5.1 system limited to DD 5.1 without the extra bells and whistles of your setup. But for most it’s good enough. Especiallly when invested in the rest of the echo system. I already ripped all my movies to 1080p/4K with DD 5.1 + a Stereo 2.0 track for portable devices so my SONOS setup does exactly what I want.

As a side note Apple will most likely also let you choose DD 5.1 in the future when movies are upgraded to Atmos

What I want more than anything is for SONOS to give me the beautiful sounding system that gives me 5.1, proper 5.1 not limited to DD. It is hardly beyond their technical abilities. I hate having a wired system and I don’t have Atomos or 7.1 or any vinyl or any HiFi separates does that mean I have to compromise on my film and TV watching. I have said throughout this thread that if the SONOS system rocks your boat then great and there is no doubt that covers many SONOS users. I have also invested heavily in SONOS for music and I am perfectly happy with it so I am not knocking the brand. They did however promise me 5.1, look at the ads, the still do it, and I maintain they don’t deliver and I think that is a great pity as this would be the Holly Grail of TV for me.

As for Apple changing to DD? They may, but not because of SONOS. Companies like SONOS need to follow Apple’s lead not the other way about.

Have a happy and prosperous New Year whenever it arrives where you are.

What I want more than anything is for SONOS to give me the beautiful sounding system that gives me 5.1, proper 5.1 not limited to DD.

Your instance on redefining what "5.1" means is not helping your cause any. It does not mean that Sonos, or any other vendor, needs to support every commercial codec that operates under 5.1 You actually have a good point underneath that, that Sonos doesn't cover all popular codecs and that it would make a better product and better for consumers if it did. I don't think anyone could really argue against that.

It is hardly beyond their technical abilities.

We don't really know that for sure. Since it's not a matter of meeting consumer needs, it must either be a cost or a technical issue.

I hate having a wired system and I don’t have Atomos or 7.1 or any vinyl or any HiFi separates does that mean I have to compromise on my film and TV watching. I have said throughout this thread that if the SONOS system rocks your boat then great and there is no doubt that covers many SONOS users. I have also invested heavily in SONOS for music and I am perfectly happy with it so I am not knocking the brand. They did however promise me 5.1, look at the ads, the still do it, and I maintain they don’t deliver and I think that is a great pity as this would be the Holly Grail of TV for me.

Again, you'd be better off if you stopped trying to redefine words. Completely unnecessary to your argument. A/V receivers have been supporting every possible codec they could since surround sound first came out, so it's not at all surprising for consumers to assume Sonos would as well. There is a clear gap between what consumers typically watch (including blu-rays) and what Sonos supports. Enough said right there.

Sonos isn't wrong for saying it's 5.1, because it is. I don't blame Sonos for advertising all the things it's not, because negativity in advertising doesn't sell products. I personally don't need DTS, but I do have disappointment in Sonos for not supporting it. And I leave at just that, disappointment. Not the only thing I'm disappointed about, but I still like their products much better than the competition's for my needs.

As for Apple changing to DD? They may, but not because of SONOS. Companies like SONOS need to follow Apple’s lead not the other way about.

Eh, I disagree on this. Sonos is what it is today because they didn't follow someone else's lead. They shouldn't start now. I also think that Apple (and others) has resources to do quite a few things that Sonos cannot (completely unfair, but another topic) and thus they need to make different decisions. And lastly, the idea of tech world where the little guys just follow the giants is not very pleasing to me. I've never really seen it as a good thing when a these giant companies are able the dictate the market by their sheer weight. All that's a matter of opinion though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
In what way are you not getting 5.1 as promised? Dolby Digital 5.1 is 5.1. Sonos plays it. End of story.

OMG, if you are going to comment please read the thread. I can’t stream Netflix etc as there is no fast broadband in my area. My media is therefore mainly DVD nearly all of which are mostly DTS so I get stereo only. That is why I don’t get 5.1 as promised.

It would also improve the thread if you were a little less supercilious, everybody’s opinion is equally important and as this thread is about users opinions there is no definitive answer. Driver28 is happy with his setup, I required something different so comments such as “end of story” are uncalled for.
Badge +2
What i meant about Apple is that when they start upgrading movies to Atmos DD 5.1 will still be available as fallback, a selectable soundtrack for devices not supportingAtmks much like they still offer 4K movies in 1080p for compatibly. Default soundtrack IS DD 5.1 with stereo fallback now and has been for years in iTunes movies.

What I want more than anything is for SONOS to give me the beautiful sounding system that gives me 5.1, proper 5.1 not limited to DD.

Your instance on redefining what "5.1" means is not helping your cause any. It does not mean that Sonos, or any other vendor, needs to support every commercial codec that operates under 5.1 You actually have a good point underneath that, that Sonos doesn't cover all popular codecs and that it would make a better product and better for consumers if it did. I don't think anyone could really argue against that.

We don't really know that for sure. Since it's not a matter of meeting consumer needs, it must either be a cost or a technical issue.

I hate having a wired system and I don’t have Atomos or 7.1 or any vinyl or any HiFi separates does that mean I have to compromise on my film and TV watching. I have said throughout this thread that if the SONOS system rocks your boat then great and there is no doubt that covers many SONOS users. I have also invested heavily in SONOS for music and I am perfectly happy with it so I am not knocking the brand. They did however promise me 5.1, look at the ads, the still do it, and I maintain they don’t deliver and I think that is a great pity as this would be the Holly Grail of TV for me.

Again, you'd be better off if you stopped trying to redefine words. Completely unnecessary to your argument. A/V receivers have been supporting every possible codec they could since surround sound first came out, so it's not at all surprising for consumers to assume Sonos would as well. There is a clear gap between what consumers typically watch (including blu-rays) and what Sonos supports. Enough said right there.

Sonos isn't wrong for saying it's 5.1, because it is. I don't blame Sonos for advertising all the things it's not, because negativity in advertising doesn't sell products. I personally don't need DTS, but I do have disappointment in Sonos for not supporting it. And I leave at just that, disappointment. Not the only thing I'm disappointed about, but I still like their products much better than the competition's for my needs.

Eh, I disagree on this. Sonos is what it is today because they didn't follow someone else's lead. They shouldn't start now. I also think that Apple (and others) has resources to do quite a few things that Sonos cannot (completely unfair, but another topic) and thus they need to make different decisions. And lastly, the idea of tech world where the little guys just follow the giants is not very pleasing to me. I've never really seen it as a good thing when a these giant companies are able the dictate the market by their sheer weight. All that's a matter of opinion though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
What i meant about Apple is that when they start upgrading movies to Atmos DD 5.1 will still be available as fallback, a selectable soundtrack for devices not supportingAtmks much like they still offer 4K movies in 1080p for compatibly. Default soundtrack IS DD 5.1 with stereo fallback now and has been for years in iTunes movies.

I think you have just completely agreeded with me however you have done it in a slightly more eloquent manner. I stand by SONOS for my music listening but find their AV equipment a disappointment due to its lack of compatibility. That is my fault for not doing the research properly before purchasing the Playbase etc. By the way, the PB is the only speaker I returned, I have no issues with my other SONOS kit. You yourself state that it is a disappointment that DTS is not supported. There are arguments about what 5.1 is and isn’t on these pages. That kind of makes my point; SONOS should have just made it work out of the box for more people. Why should I spend another £200 on a DVD player, which is inferior to my existing machine, to do SONOS’ work for them. I thought less boxes, less cables is what we were after?

Let’s look at the argument another way: Can anyone please tell me why SONOS providing a soundbar/base with a HDMI that has the ability to reproduce DTS is a bad thing? I am not a lone voice on these forums asking for this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
maybe this changes things for the future "New Sonos Satellite Speaker Pops Up in FCC Filing"