Answered

Sonos Beam - how to get Netflix 5.1?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Badge +1
Basically my previous amp had a mode where it took a stereo signal from the TV and reproduced it over all the speakers (5 and the sub).... I was wondering if that behaviour could be replicated in the Sonos Beam ecosystem.... 🙂
Badge +1
Understood... That's a step back for me though.. lol! even though the quality of the sound has improved... the experience of having permanent 5.1 sound... even in 2.0 news broadcasts... is something I'll miss... lol!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It’s not really permanent 5.1 sound though, it’s matrixing the stereo signal for a source that is only meant to be stereo. Sonos is doing it the way it was intended.
Badge +1
Great! Thanks for the clarification! Now I only need to know how to activate it... Because yesterday I was fiddling around with the settings but all I could hear was from the Beam... not the back Play 1...
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Is this for all content or just certain things? What are you currently trying to play?
Badge +1
I hear 5.1 movies alright but, contrary to what l was used to with my old Sony amp, news or other OTA DVB-T broadcasts just won't sound as good.. they won't use the back side speakers...
Badge +1
Got it to work! It's just dependent on the OTA DVB-T channel.. lol! Some will have Dolby Digital and be heard on all the speakers, others will default to PCM and thus not work with the back speakers.... thanks for your patience with a rookie! 😃