Answered

Sonos Beam - how to get Netflix 5.1?

I'm looking to add the Sonos Beam to my two Sonos Ones in order to get a surround sound while watching Netflix. It doesn't look like any of the current streaming devices (Chromecast, Roku, Amazon, my Sony x720E TV) allow me to do that, as they output DD+ and the Beam only accepts DD.

To me, this seems like such a basic use case for this device. Do any of you have a suggestion how I could make it work?

Happy to buy the Beam today, but need to know that I can use it for the advertised use case 🙂
icon

Best answer by Paulw123 4 July 2018, 11:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
It’s not really permanent 5.1 sound though, it’s matrixing the stereo signal for a source that is only meant to be stereo. Sonos is doing it the way it was intended.
Badge +1
Great! Thanks for the clarification! Now I only need to know how to activate it... Because yesterday I was fiddling around with the settings but all I could hear was from the Beam... not the back Play 1...
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Is this for all content or just certain things? What are you currently trying to play?
Badge +1
I hear 5.1 movies alright but, contrary to what l was used to with my old Sony amp, news or other OTA DVB-T broadcasts just won't sound as good.. they won't use the back side speakers...
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
That is what I just covered above. That content is meant to be in stereo, and Sonos is presenting it the way it was intended.
Badge +1
Got it to work! It's just dependent on the OTA DVB-T channel.. lol! Some will have Dolby Digital and be heard on all the speakers, others will default to PCM and thus not work with the back speakers.... thanks for your patience with a rookie! 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Not a problem,, glad it's all sorted.