Sonos Beam and Bose QC headphones in Samsung TV

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I have the Beam working via HDMI on my TV and when I switch in my headphones to connect to the TV via Bluetooth, it works initially and TV says disconnecting Anynet+ device (the Beam) but then it seems to immediately reconnect the Beam and so not allowing me to switch to the Bluetooth headphones. Any ideas on how to get this working without having to switch Anynet off and on in the menu all the time? My Samsung is a 2015 UHD model.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

154 replies

Adding my +1. Same problem 😠
Hi,

I am glad, to find this thread:
Of course do I have the same problem:
My setup:
- Samsung TV UE49KU6519U
- Sonos Beam (1 day old)
- Bose QC 35 (paired to the TV)

My Problems:
a) same as yours
HDMI ARC connections steals audio back whenever I want to use the Bluetooth Headset.
b) can't listen with the Bluetooth Headset and the TV at once

Question:
I read, that a "TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver" connected to the Digital Out
of the TV and the Bluetooth Headset paired to it may solve problem "a".
Will this also enable me to use and listen with headset and the Beam at once?

Any help and advice is very welcome!

Kind Regards,

Jens
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Same Problem and hoping this is will be fixed soon!
+1... Disappointing Sonos, I just purchased expensive Bluetooth headphones for the purpose of watching TV at night to not disturb my young daughter, only to find this bug on my overpriced TV soundbar (beam) please sort it out!
There was official response here and here.

If you have good Bluetooth headphones, presumably they support aptX-LL or at least aptX. TVs tend to use only SBC. In that case you're only likely to do justice to the expensive cans by using a compatible BT transmitter. Many take an optical feed, for example the Avantree Audikast. Mute the Beam when listening through headphones. Problem solved.
Yes, I ordered this setup to get both (Sonos Beam and the Bose QC35) working together:
- NEXTANY® 1 in 2 Out Digital Toslink Fiber Audio Optical Splitter Cable (Black)
- TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, Digital Optical TOSLINK
and 3.5mm Wireless Audio Adapter for TV/Home Stereo System - aptX Low Latency
Sorry, these are the exact description, if you like to search and find them.

Samsung TV (Optical Out) > Toslink Optical Splitter > Bluetooth Transmitter > Bose QC35
> Sonos Beam

Unfortunately the Transmitter is not able to accept the Bose QC35 after a day without
power. Such I have to drop the paired device. Reset the TaoTronics and repair again.
But this has nothing to do with Sonos.
Unfortunately the Transmitter is not able to accept the Bose QC35 after a day without
power. Such I have to drop the paired device. Reset the TaoTronics and repair again.
But this has nothing to do with Sonos.

I've found the TaoTronics kit to be somewhat capricious. Sometimes it helps to power up the receiver end first. Avantree is generally more dependable (and more expensive).
Same problem here. Cannot use BT headphones when watching tv if the Beam is connected using HDMI. Basic stuff not working. Can we get a fix?

Samsung QLED + Beam + QC35 (also use Avantree headset)

😠
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Are we there yet?
I was very interested in adding the the new Amp to my equipment, but until this issue is resolved, no. Not a chance.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I’m having the same problem here. Been using Sony Bluetooth headphones with my Sony A1 E without problems. I recently purchased the Sonos Beam and now can’t use the headphones without disconnecting the Beam from the TV. This really is unacceptable. I use my headphones several times a week so may have to return the beam.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Can someone from Sonos please provide an update for this issue? I see it's been 7 months since the original post was made.
I found out I can't even return my beam as the the returns policy in my country will only allow exchange like for like. Unplugging the Beam everyday to use headphones is getting old fast.
+1 same issue. hope that after spending 450 euro for a soundbar a fix is available, not just unplug HDMI.
I noticed this 'feature' the first day I connected my new Beam. I like my Bose QuietComfort headphones a lot more than this soundbar. I'll try turning off the CEC controll on the LG SIMPLINK settings for a few more days, and if it's too much of a pain I'll be taking it back to the retailer.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
+1 have to unplug Beam to use Bose qc 35 ii headphones
For all the angst being expressed, I do wish people would read the earlier posts in this thread.

As per this post, the simplest solution as it stands is to use an external Bluetooth transmitter, wired to the TV's optical output. Completely independent of the Beam, and moreover capable of delivering better quality/latency than the TV's internal Bluetooth.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
For all the angst being expressed, I do wish people would read the earlier posts in this thread.

As per this post, the simplest solution as it stands is to use an external Bluetooth transmitter, wired to the TV's optical output. Completely independent of the Beam, and moreover capable of delivering better quality/latency than the TV's internal Bluetooth.

The response from the user below your post states that this did not work for him. Also, I do not regard the purchase of an external blutooth transmitter to be a reasonable solution to what seems to be a fundamental design flaw in the Beam.

The response from the user below your post states that this did not work for him. Also, I do not regard the purchase of an external blutooth transmitter to be a reasonable solution to what seems to be a fundamental design flaw in the Beam.

What makes you think that there isn't an issue with the Samsung TV? That's also a common factor here.

As for the user below my original post, he chose to try one of the cheaper Bluetooth transmitters. In my experience you get what you pay for, and a more dependable solution from a brand such as Avantree in fact costs only a few dollars more.

But if you'd rather stick to your principles than consider a solution which is not only inexpensive but also actually offers better audio performance and user flexibility, that's entirely your choice.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

What makes you think that there isn't an issue with the Samsung TV? That's also a common factor here.

As for the user below my original post, he chose to try one of the cheaper Bluetooth transmitters. In my experience you get what you pay for, and a more dependable solution from a brand such as Avantree in fact costs only a few dollars more.

But if you'd rather stick to your principles than consider a solution which is not only inexpensive but also actually offers better audio performance and user flexibility, that's entirely your choice.

As I mentioned in my post further up, I'm using a Sony A1E TV and Sony headphones and having this problem. Also, there is another user who reported the same problem with an LG tv. So yes this seems to be a problem with the Beam.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask Sonos to provide a fix for what is something that has been overlooked in the design. At the very least an update on whether they are still working on this issue would be appreciated.

The Sonos Beam is not a cheap soundbar and we should not have to purchase an external transmitter (that may or may not work) in order to restore functionality of the blutooth headphones that were working perfectly fine with the TV previously.
SAME PROBLEM WITH NEW SONOS AMP.

Paid £599 pounds for asmall, low power amp and it wont let me connect my Sennheisser PXC550 headphones at night.

They released the AMP with the marketing giving its main USP that it had been set up for TV, except they knew it disabled a core functionality.

Outrageous.

I expect a full refund, inuding my speakers and speaker cables if an update isnt rushed out. This is really pathetic and what one would expect of apple, come on Sonos, the Venn diagram of the type of people who would buy a Sonos AMP / Soundbar and who also listen to wireless headphones in the evening is pretty large.

Either Sonos dont know their customers, dont care about their customers or their beta testing program involves me, in which case I require a refund and asalary thanks.

Very upset the apparent market leader released a new product without mentioning a known fault.

PLEASE FIX!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Interesting bit from the Samsung Q60 manual which kind of jives with Sonos recommendation.

“When the TV is connected to an external device such as a DVD/BD player or a set-top box via HDMI, power sync mode will be automatically activated. In the power sync mode, the TV continues to detect and connect external devices via HDMI cable. This function can be deactivated by removing the HDMI cable of the connected device.”
SAME PROBLEM WITH NEW SONOS AMP.

Paid £599 pounds for asmall, low power amp and it wont let me connect my Sennheisser PXC550 headphones at night.

They released the AMP with the marketing giving its main USP that it had been set up for TV, except they knew it disabled a core functionality.

Outrageous.

I think in comparison to the general amp market, it's a stretch to call the amp low powered, but I suppose it's a matter of opinion. As far as being able to connect headphones and the Beam at the same time, I wouldn't call it core functionality, but again opinions vary.

I would absolutely agree though that Sonos should do a better job of communicating this issue in their support/troubleshooting section, as I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

I expect a full refund, inuding my speakers and speaker cables if an update isnt rushed out.

Sonos can refund anything you purchase from them, and the policy is fully stated, but you know they can't refund what you purchased from some other vendor. Why would you expect something like this?

This is really pathetic and what one would expect of apple, come on Sonos, the Venn diagram of the type of people who would buy a Sonos AMP / Soundbar and who also listen to wireless headphones in the evening is pretty large.

I'd be curious to see where you're getting your data from.

Either Sonos dont know their customers, dont care about their customers or their beta testing program involves me, in which case I require a refund and asalary thanks.

Clearly a miss though, but I don't think it's too hard to see how this could have been missed in testing and beta testing. It's the sort of thing I've seen missed in testing due to degrees of separation from your actual produc

Very upset the apparent market leader released a new product without mentioning a known fault.

Again, agree. Sonos should do a better job of mentioning this. I don't think it needs to be on the product packaging or in website ads and such, but it really should be mentioned in support troubleshooting as a known issue, IMO.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So can we assume, due to the lack of any update, that Sonos has given up trying to solve this issue?
+1
I just recently bought a beam and have the same problem with a SamsungTV, Bluetooth headphones and the beam. A fix (other than the proposed clunky workarounds) would be appreciated.
A small external Bluetooth transmitter fed from the TV's optical output offers more flexibility, better codec quality, and improved lip-sync. Clunky workaround? It's in fact an upgrade.