Answered

Sonos Arc - Metallic Sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1017 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

New app version and system update just dropped. 
Could it be addressing this issue? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It’s so strange, why some have issues and some find it good.

Some people have ‘issues’ with soft sweet wine, and prefer a crisp dry. Some prefer processed cheese, others a mature Stilton. Apply same logic to sound. 

True, but people have these harsh bright issues, my yamaha ysp2700 was I would say, warm sounding, the ARC to me is warm sounding as well.

For about a month it sounded fantastic to me… then earlier this week I performed a Trueplay after updating to the latest version and suddenly it sounded tinny, weak, and metallic to me.  I did another trueplay and suddenly it sounded fantastic again - warm with a nice middle.

I think this is not a simple answer.  The performance of the Arc is especially sensitive to position and shape of the room, and in addition trueplay obviously is sensitive to the device perception of what it’s hearing (a complex speaker array may be adding to this sensitivity, along with device mic characteristics).

There was a video posted above where a reviewer showed how much better the bass performance is with the arc without the sub when using the wall to push the sound back towards the listener… but many have the arc in front of the TV and so aren’t using the wall.  Bass may be dissipating. 

It would be great if the results of trueplay were displayed, and then the user had a band equalizer to make fine adjustments.  It doesn’t go along with Sonos ‘simple’ philosophy, however it would alleviate confusion.

I was told you don’t need to do a Retune after every update.ln fact you only need to retune when you move your set-up around (apparently)!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Updated, let’s see.

hopefully a “what’s new” will be released

App store did not say very much in the release notes

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Interesting I can’t listen now as it’s late but intrigued o compare in the morning! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXBHZAPA5uQi2H3wpYD8gHJkS5IwCcVL/view?usp=drivesdk

here is the drive movie one. I expect you to venmo me for ruining my newtflix algorithm;) haha

oh well This one I did turn up higher had to disable limit 60 percent I had. I can’t hear anything awful the bass like sounds a bit weird like clubby. But in the sonos one it sounded similar. 
I do agree it’s not the strongest bass or like as thumpy as you’d like wirh this type of club music.  But it certainly doesn’t sound like shit 

That’s so not how this song should sound like lol. I do listen to this song quite often ( Being an Indian). Balance is off by miles. But hey, this is a $799 soundbar that’s not made for Music. So it’s fine.

The netflix song you mean? I mean obviously this is the first time I’ve heard this song but having the “balance off” doesn’t mean the speaker is broken. If you can give me the name of the song I can try playing it on my sonos one to check “what it is supposed to sound like” then again, maybe to you the sonos one is also not good? Not sure. I do have a homepod but I boxed it since I’m gifting it.

I didn’t love the homepod music performance as I said before, but I recognize the bass is punchier.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

On 7 July, I ordered Sonos entertainment set comprising of Arc + Sub Gen 3 + pair of Play one SL through SONOS. 10 July, received the sub gen 3. On 13 July received the Arc and pair of Play One SL. 

I came from Playbar + Sub gen 2 (sold) + pair of Play:1 (sold).

Today (13 July), I tested the Sonos ARC on its own.

Connect Sonos ARC through HDMI-ARC on my Sony Bravia KDL-EX55-720 (10 years old TV).

Impressive is all I can say. Loving it. :kissing_heart:

Dolby Digital 5.1 is the best I can get due to age of TV. 

Will add in surround and sub gen 3 tomorrow. 

Can’t wait. 

These types of reports make me think more and more that these MUST be some defective Arc hardware out there!

Also possible that different people have different expectations. Not everybody is a critical listener. If Sonos knew something we don’t (like a hardware problem), they would have stopped the shipment of Arcs to prevent further damage. Who knows? 

It is for sure Sonos dropped the ball with Arc release.

Different people definitely has different expectations. 

I like 2 doors car. Wife likes 7 seat car/van. :joy: 

I am not a critical listener, if I am one, I would setup a proper theater environment to properly enjoy the sound system.  

Just by watching movie with Sonos Arc on its own, I can hear the sound bouncing off my left and right. That in itself is already better than Playbar. 

It’s going to get better tomorrow when I connect up the surround and Sub. 

Looking forward to get a Sony X95H…. that will elevate it further with Dolby Atmos…. 

Glad it worked out for you. Have fun !

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Paul A @Kyle A @Krishma M 

Hello could one of you give us an update on this thread, we need to know if this issue is being worked on? When we could see an update etc etc ?

thanks

Hi folks! Just to let you know that we have received the reports and working on resolving this. We’ll surely let you know once the fix has been done. Appreciate all your patience. If you any other concerns, please let us know. Thanks! 

Thanks for the update. It's assuring to know that this issue is acknowledged and the team is already working on it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello all,

While we are aware that some are experiencing or have experienced audio issues with their Arc,we are working on it but I do not have an update for you at this time.

If you are experiencing a thin, tinny quality in your audio that I see that some are describing as “cheap radio” sound, I would encourage you to test playback through a streaming music service of your choice and then make an audio or recording on your mobile phone or camera. Then reach out to us directly so that we can log the issue and evaluate the units on an individual level.

For those that have already exchanged your units, did this resolve the audio quality issue? 

@Jean C. - I chatted with support this afternoon, submitted diagnostics, and was told there were no problems they could detect and I should contact Sales via phone. I mostly hear the tinny audio with dialogue. What should I do since chat support didn’t ask for any more information.

Mine is going back soon I’ve bought a full 7.2.4 system with proper speakers so this arc is going back 😁

Could you let me know what system did you go with? I am also planning to go with the traditional route of receiver + speakers. I am pretty novice with this setup. Any input and suggestions would be great. I know this is not the correct forum but still throwing it out here since Sonos doesn't seem to help in anyways here.

If it helps- I live in an apartment and I am going with KEF Q150s bookshelves as R/L, Q650C center, and Denon X1600H receiver. It will be a 3.0 system. I need to wait till the sale drops though as you can get those at the cost of Arc. 

Cool great, thank you. I was looking at the KEF Q series, B&W 606, or 607 series or ELAC debut 2.0 B6(read good reviews of ELAC and a pair cost only about $300) bookshelf to pair with a receiver. Just waiting for some deal and probably add a SVS sub later when it goes on the deal. Probably need to spend over the ARC but getting rid of ARC + Sub I should be good to use that money for this setup. Let me know what do you think?

Given the disparity between owners about the sound quality was racking my brain for other variables and wondered about the wall mount. We know that the arc adjusts it's output/eq based on being wall mounted. Out of curiosity are any of the people struggling with this using their device freestanding? 

Yes, plenty of people reporting this issue are not using the wall mount, including myself. I think the disparity is more about personal taste, expectations, experience/knowledge, and environment. Trueplay is primarily meant for room correction, and it very well may be working better in some environments vs. others. It definitely does not seem to be striking a good balance. 

I continue to think the Arc has a naturally ‘bright’ sound signature, which can allow it to be more detailed and precise, but it should not need to come at the cost of midrange. Many people, especially as they age, are less sensitive to the higher frequency ranges that this thread is most concerned with, so that can account for some of the difference in opinions. That said, I think it’s less about overemphasised highs, and more about a lack of midrange that the eq isn’t helping with at all.  And some people just don’t know what they’re missing, imo.

After seeing some of Peter Pee's recent YT videos on the wall mount magnet I came back to this and decided to experiment a bit for myself.

Sure enough with content playing I lifted the right side of the arc out of the mount and after a couple of seconds much fuller and warmer dialogue was obvious. I then let the arc slide back into the mount, and as soon as the arc registered the magnet the eq went back to tinny. Checked with the wife (who is nowhere near as obsessive) and she agreed it was like a switch being turned on and off. 

I'm not saying this is the overall solution, as there are users without wall mount who are unhappy. But I would urge any wall mount users to experiment and report back. My feeling is that this EQ/magnet feature is a bit of a dud and hopefully Sonos will consider building an override into the app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Been following this topic for a while, as it took a couple of weeks before my Arc + Sub arrived.

The posts made me quite nervous, but now after 2-3 weeks of using the setup with my LG 55 C9 i can honestly say that i am extremely satisfied with the sound! There is no metallic sounds or harsh voices at all. Music is warm and clear, movies and series sound amazing, especially those with atmos.

My dad has a Playbar, and i currently feel that one is slightly warmer/nicer for music, but the Arc blows the playbar out of the water with movies and series.

Config details: Trueplayed with an Ipad Air (2019). EQ settings are -3 (Bass) and -3 (Treble) with Sub audio volume at -4 (yes i live in an appartment building)

Edit: I know this topic discusses a problem with the Arc, but i feel it is important to highlight that not all Arc’s have this issue, as this topic made me extremely nervous for no reason in the end.

I think this is a person to person problem. I used to say what are people talking about? But tried going to some content suggested and I hear the issue mentioend here the thing is it doesnt bother me much.  I also dont listen to a ton of music on my 5.1 system. But for example, yesterday listening to the new taylor swift songs I can tell how her voice sounds weird. Like a bit harsh. Honestly itdoesnt bother me and if you add the sonos ones in surround full mode they basically mask this.

But I can tell how some people would dislike the sound signature of the bar alone due to it being a bit harsh. I only tuned with iphone XR. Also, for movies or TV it really sounds good and I dont have complaints

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Updated, let’s see.

What version? The app wont really fix anything besides the possible supposed trueplay issues.

But I don’t see any updates. I see 12.0.2 as 3w ago. And also, the fix would be a firmware fix so check updates in the app

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m still not happy with trueplay. It improves some things for sure (less reverb, balances audio for seating position, boosts bass to my liking) but the mids still disappear and the metallic treble and harsh sibilant sound still exists. I get better results using an old iPad mini vs. newer iPhones but still not totally satisfied. 

At this point I’ve just resorted to turning trueplay off and I just boost sub and bass eq a smidge and I call it a day. I personally don’t think the Arc sounds too bright without trueplay. But trueplay still ruins it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Random but anyone in the uk was just watching panorama (on iplayer too) today’s episode and Richard biltons voice at around 30% sound horrific others aren’t so bad. It seems marginally better with trueplay off

Userlevel 3
Badge

Updated, let’s see.

What version? The app wont really fix anything besides the possible supposed trueplay issues.

But I don’t see any updates. I see 12.0.2 as 3w ago. And also, the fix would be a firmware fix so check updates in the app

After you update the app it says a system update is available and asks you to update your system. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m not really noticing a difference after installing 12.0.1 and then re-tuning. But I’ve got Subs and a surround. Still the same, versus the Playbar, the Arc has a pretty significant surround sound effect for playing music that makes it feel less rich and center-stage than the Playbar.

Same here, its really annoying now 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Version 12.0.3

App and System updates

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Just got my arc and sub to replace my beam (also have two one sls for surrounds) and this thing just sounds awful compared to the beam to me. 

playing music from my phone over AirPlay is just is so thin. No punch at all. Take the song hysteria by muse and when the kick drum comes in there is just no thud at all. Interestingly though if I play the exact same track through my tv via iTunes Apple TV app it sounds much better. Much fuller and more rounded however in my opinion still slightly lacking. 

free to air tv is sounds average and has a lot sibilance issues. 

im wondering if it has something to do with when the arc is sent a 5.1 Dolby signal it performs as intended but anything else it’s just trash. 

multiple tunings tried and eq configurations and some sound better but just not right. I’m a sound engineer so I know what a good system sounds like. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Krishma M @Scott - Sonos @Ryan S 

Krishma, Scott, we didn't seem to get a reply from our last comment. Could you please find out for us if this metallic sound issue is likely to be fixed anytime soon or even at all? The bass issue was fixed very promptly after it was reported and this is certainly not the case for this issue, i understand different problems can take longer to rectify, but i want to know if im pointlessly hanging onto my arc in the hope of a fix and it never comes or is not expected for months, my return window is soon about to end so a prompt response would be great.

i understand it may take some time to chase this with the relevant people but on behalf of everyone with this issue we would really appreciate if you could find out what is going on. This soundbar does not sound right to me at all.

Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I find conversations regarding Trueplay and retuning etc. bizarre to be honest.  With it switched off (like it has to be for a huge amount of users who use Android), the Arc should not be exhibiting any of the issues being so widely reported.

Trueplay is to adjust the sound according to the room/environment it is in, not to fix fundamental problems.  There may be issues with tuning on specific devices’ microphones (quite ironic given the reasons for Trueplay only being supported on Apple devices) - but with it switched off these sorts of issues with bass etc. really shouldn't be there.

If you switch it off and have the problem then there is a huge issue.

And I am in this category of being an android user. I was disappointed from the very start with the sound of my Arc. I had tried adjusting the bass/treble with undesirable effects and then by borrowing my nephews iPhone to 'trueplay' the bar it did improve the sound quite dramatically. Unfortunately though it remains  hardly any better than my old 5 year old, £130, samsung 2.1 system it replaces, in fact for growling bass and loudness the Samsung was way better! 

This is my first dive in to the Sonos ocean and after glowing reviews I believed I was going to get a cinema experience and so I should at £800! All the Sonos fans seem to think it is okay to have a broken speaker, perhaps you may have a sub and play 1s and you believe, maybe because you have invested so much time and money in to their ecosystem, that Sonos will repair this broken soundbar. For me spending another £1000 to get that (and still some lambast the Arc with that setup) is crazy. It would be like buying a Ferrari with a 1.0 litre eco engine and saying but to get the best from it you need to upgrade and spend over double what you paid for it in the first place to make it what it should be (Actual costs exaggerated)! 

From what I'm reading everyone was happy with their previous Sonos products and I have heard some that sound great, that's what I was expecting (and more) from the Arc, how underwhelmed and disappointed I am. Yes I can send it back, but before I do I want to make sure the next £800 I spend on a soundbar isn't broken. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is such a joke people are bored of posting now on here and Sonos will probably just accept everyone is putting up with it… we need updates!

I think by now if one wants to return they have already done so.  The rest are accepting the shortcomings and learning to live with it.  With 99% all positive reviews plus a few fanboys out there raving about the ARC, the Arc is mostly sold out.  So why should they care?

They already said here theyre workin gon a fix and investigating the issue. They provided a form to submit problematic content. I do agree it is frustrating they haven’t provided any updates. But sayihng they dont care and are doing  nothing is just not right. Just speculation and doesn’t really contribute.

Also, many have said their setups are sounding good and theyre enjoying it. So “living with it” doesnt quite fit it. 

AGAIN there is an issue for some people, it seems this group isn’t small and many have complaints. SONOS said theyure working on it and theywentr quiet (dont know why or try to defend that). But let’s have accurate posts here for those who come here looking to check progress. Your post just isn’t right at no point SONOS has said “most users are happy, there is no issue,if you dont like it Arc is not for you, we plan on not investigating or working on this” so don’t be misleading.

Relax there just my opinion, we will see how much they care like u said.  

Been following this topic for a while, as it took a couple of weeks before my Arc + Sub arrived.

The posts made me quite nervous, but now after 2-3 weeks of using the setup with my LG 55 C9 i can honestly say that i am extremely satisfied with the sound! There is no metallic sounds or harsh voices at all. Music is warm and clear, movies and series sound amazing, especially those with atmos.

My dad has a Playbar, and i currently feel that one is slightly warmer/nicer for music, but the Arc blows the playbar out of the water with movies and series.

Config details: Trueplayed with an Ipad Air (2019). EQ settings are -3 (Bass) and -3 (Treble) with Sub audio volume at -4 (yes i live in an appartment building)

Edit: I know this topic discusses a problem with the Arc, but i feel it is important to highlight that not all Arc’s have this issue, as this topic made me extremely nervous for no reason in the end.

I think this is a person to person problem. I used to say what are people talking about? But tried going to some content suggested and I hear the issue mentioend here the thing is it doesnt bother me much.  I also dont listen to a ton of music on my 5.1 system. But for example, yesterday listening to the new taylor swift songs I can tell how her voice sounds weird. Like a bit harsh. Honestly itdoesnt bother me and if you add the sonos ones in surround full mode they basically mask this.

But I can tell how some people would dislike the sound signature of the bar alone due to it being a bit harsh. I only tuned with iphone XR. Also, for movies or TV it really sounds good and I dont have complaints

Well i have also been listening to the new Taylor Swift album quite alot, and also here i do not find her voice weird or harsh at all. Maybe it's because my Treble is at -3? Or the combination with the Sub?

I'm so glad this thread exists. I thought I was going crazy. Just spent an hour with support, and they're going to send me a replacement. Has anyone actually had success with a replacement or is the product just bad?

I got 2 replacements from Sonos in last few months. All sounded same. Then bought newly built one(Feb-22) from Bestbuy to just test the new built. Same metallic sound and painful sssh sound with vocals from certain streaming content.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Having moved from the Playbar, that has a warmth, especially with the dialogue/centre, that the Arc just can’t be adjusted to reproduce at the moment and it seems to struggle even more as the volume increases.

No amount of playing with the EQ or Trueplay tuning with difference devices can sort this right now, even with a Sub in tow. 

I just hope that isn't a physical “limitation” of the Arc

Badge

in my opinion it is the fault Truplay. I have 2x sonos play 1 and sub and after truplay on my iPhone xs the sound in Music is thin too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Krishma M @Scott - Sonos  please give us an update we haven’t heard anything in weeks. Have you confirmed this issue?

is there an update coming! When? Weeks?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
  1. Best Buy Arc sounds better than Amazon Arc
  2. Called Sonos support- wasn’t happy and but, the Arc fixed itself the next morning.
  3. Electricity went off and Arc is fixed when it came back on.
  4. Disabled wifi and now, the Arc sounds good now.

Please tell me you people are joking, right? 

Maybe you should read the whole text. Then you wouldn't write point number 4 :-)

Nice use of the edit button right there, mate. Saved the day.