Answered

PS5/SONOS ARC/X900. lpcm not loud enough

Show first post

126 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @giandoblues 

I am sticking with Dolby 5.1, and it is fine; regarding the delay, I can hear it also when scrolling in the interface of PlayStation, so it is not an issue of the game engine, it is a “global” situation that happens during the whole experience. Nevertheless, I am already used to it, but I really look forward for a fix!!

Sonos Home Theatre products play TV audio as soon as they get it - it’s up to the XBox to make sure video and audio are synced in the first place, but it is also the TV’s job to keep them in sync. If you check your TV’s sound settings, there’ll be an option along the lines of Digital Audio Output Format (usually, any one of these words will be missing which is weird because with any three of them, it still makes sense) - try changing this to Passthrough or Bitstream. Hopefully, one of those settings will help.

I’m afraid not - but we’re sure to mention it here on the Community.

But I’m guessing it will be listed in the update notes in the Sonos app, so we’ll know that a particular update should fix the issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

is multichanel 7.1 best can i get on ps5?

arc+sub+ 2Xgen5

sony x9000h

ps5

?

please advise

I have the PS5, ARC, and 900H as well. After reading the thread I still can’t tell the best setting to use at the current moment (until more updates hit). Beside lcpm needing higher volumes is it still the best sound?  For 4K blu rays with dtsx tracks does anyone have the current optimal setting?  I only get 5.1 DD+ if I turn OFF my eArc and just use ARC pass through which I find odd. 

For DTS-encoded Blu-rays, turn eARC on and set the PS5 audio format to Linear PCM so the Arc will play DTS audio as multichannel PCM 5.1/7.1.

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation! That is what I have been doing. 

@Corry P 

I was referring to the description of a Sonos device update within the iOS app before installing it (not the Sonos app release notes in the iOS App Store). But it looks like said description is the same as the notes in the link you just posted (at least that was the case for the last update).

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

A lot of this is because everyone wants to handle differenr formats in a different way. So many of us use Apple TV. If Apple TV would stop insisting on turning off Dolby Digital if you turn on Dolby Atmos, then half of us wouldn't be talking about this anyhow.

Badge

Hi there :)

I am having more or less the same issues with my PS5.

TV: Samsung RU7090 65”

Sonos system: Arc + 2 Synfonisk as rear speakers (I hope I will get the Sub soon!)

The Arc is linked to TV via HDMI 3 ARC slot. When I set PS5 audio to LPCM (settings: AV Receiver, 5.1channels), the sound is stereo only, and if I check my TV settings the audio is set to PCM and I cannot select Dolby or Dolby+ options. The Sonos app too tells me that the source is Stereo PCM. 

If I change the sound to Dolby on the PS5, I get an actual surround with louder sound, and the app says I’m in Dolby 5.1. The TV settings are now changed to Dolby (not Dolby+).

If I open the TV’s Netflix app, I can get Atmos with some tvshows (The Witcher), and the TV settings changes to Dolby+. The Sonos App tells me I’m in Atmos mode (cool!)

Do you think I can change something within the PS5 (or else) to get actual surround with LPCM settings or do I have to stick with Dolby? I have no issues with Dolby sound, except for a very subtle delay with the sound, noticeable for example during cutscenes with dialogues.

Thanks! :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

It looks like the latest update has improved the 7.1 → 5.1 down-mixing issue, but the volume issue still remains.

I understand the idea that lpcm is just passed through to the dsp/amplifier without decoding, but there has to be something going on that is incorrect. I shouldn’t have to raise the volume 2x/2.5x on lpcm when compared to a dolby-encoded track. Almost to the point of the track clipping in order to output the same audible magnitude.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For example if i want use DD 5.1 Plus on ps5 i have to switch off earc in tv settings , look strange for me 

Anyone else experience that ?

Thanks in Advance 

DT

Userlevel 3
Badge

So for now, should i set my ps5 to bitstream (dolby) with 5.1 for gaming? I have a lgc9 set up with my arc and 2 play one’s plus a sub. My tv is would then be set to bitstream and pasthrough for the audio settings. 

@Grynn. Yes, unless you can select 5.1 sound with LPCM on your PS5.

This mostly makes sense - except that it doesn’t explain why if you are starting with a 5.1 source it would still sound quiet, as then no conversion from 7.1 to 5.1 is even happening.  I can experiment with a few sources.  And while I would grant there is variability across sources, I think the low volume problem is pretty consistent across the board, hence this thread.

@Snorf. All I can say is if it’s currently unsupported, expect anything (that you get sound at all is more than I would have expected). If this still happens once we do support 7.1 LPCM, then it’s likely due to the technicalities explained above, and perhaps a feature will be added or a change made that addresses the issue.

This is a pretty disappointing response. I understand that LPCM 7.1 is not supported, but LPCM 5.1 is supported. If sending a 5.1 LPCM signal, there should be no down-mixing required.

If LPCM 5.1 is not supported, then what functionality was actually released in the 12.2 release 7 months ago?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve got to say when Sonos implemented LPCM I tried it out via my Xbox series x and noticed it to be not load enough. So I reverted back to bitstream.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jkossis 

So for now, should i set my ps5 to bitstream (dolby) with 5.1 for gaming? I have a lgc9 set up with my arc and 2 play one’s plus a sub. My tv is would then be set to bitstream and pasthrough for the audio settings. 

This mostly makes sense - except that it doesn’t explain why if you are starting with a 5.1 source it would still sound quiet, as then no conversion from 7.1 to 5.1 is even happening.  I can experiment with a few sources.  And while I would grant there is variability across sources, I think the low volume problem is pretty consistent across the board, hence this thread.

@Snorf. All I can say is if it’s currently unsupported, expect anything (that you get sound at all is more than I would have expected). If this still happens once we do support 7.1 LPCM, then it’s likely due to the technicalities explained above, and perhaps a feature will be added or a change made that addresses the issue.

This is a pretty disappointing response. I understand that LPCM 7.1 is not supported, but LPCM 5.1 is supported. If sending a 5.1 LPCM signal, there should be no down-mixing required.

If LPCM 5.1 is not supported, then what functionality was actually released in the 12.2 release 7 months ago?

5.1 Multichannel LPCM is supported on the Arc, and you are correct - if a 5.1 LPCM stream is sent to the Arc, there won’t be any downmixing. I think I must have mis-read @Snorf’s question. In general, LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital (for example) as there’s less processing happening, as the normal stage in which processing is done will be skipped altogether.

Hi All.

Sonos currently only supports 5.1 multichannel LCPM, though we are currently working on supporting 7.1 - downmixing to 5.1, not full 7.1 reproduction. So right now, 7.1 LPCM is not supported and your sources should be set to 5.1 LPCM, where possible, or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ for Atmos).

In time (I have no details to share as to when), 7.1 LPCM will be downmixed to 5.1.0 on the Arc.

Differing content can often be mastered to different volume levels, and when a change in encoding is involved, this is even more likely as the sound track will be adjusted to best fit the parameters and abilities of the codec. Technically, however, LPCM isn’t a codec (it’s uncompressed) and is in fact how all digital equipment handles sound internally - at some point, regardless of any formats/codecs/channels being used, everything is converted to LPCM before being passed to the digital amplifiers inside all Sonos speakers/Amps. Included in the decoding process of Dolby Digital and Atmos to LPCM is a volume boost/range compression. As LPCM isn’t processed (decompressed) like a codec, there isn’t the same opportunity for this to happen. When LPCM is played, you get the closest to the original track possible - the data on the source is relayed directly to the amplifier after mixing.

Therefore, varying volume levels are normal, or they may be an artifact of 7.1 currently being mishandled.

Thanks a lot for the nice write up and update.

Looking forward to seeing this resolved.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @jkossis 

5.1 Multichannel LPCM is supported on the Arc, and you are correct - if a 5.1 LPCM stream is sent to the Arc, there won’t be any downmixing. I think I must have mis-read @Snorf’s question. In general, LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital (for example) as there’s less processing happening, as the normal stage in which processing is done will be skipped altogether.

What are you basing your statement that LPCM will be quieter than Dolby Digital off of? If anything, LPCM is more likely to have greater depth/fullness/loudness, as it is a lossless format (Dolby Digital is lossy).

It feels like Sonos is trying to justify their rushed, incomplete, and poor LPCM implementation with information that is simply not true.

Hi @bignicknicknick 

I appreciate the sentiment, and I will try, but please don’t expect much - this has been requested many times, and the answer is the same each time.

Please also note that it is considered normal, which is why it gets “brushed off” as such.

Hi @Corry P - Any update on this?

If it has been “requested many times” why can’t the engineers properly fix it? This thread is over 2 years old and it’s unfortunate that we have either…

A. Leave eArc on and get great Atmos, but SOFT LPCM.

B. Disable eArc because we don’t want to deal with the muddy/soft LPCM sound format when dealing with non-Atmos content. 

Other soundbars appear to handle LPCM just fine…all we’re asking for is that LPCM and Dolby Digital sound relatively similar volume wise. There’s no reason that uncompressed LPCM should sound softer that Dolby Digital. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

You don't want to set to 7.1 as Sonos Arc with sub is a 5.1.2 set up

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why would you use lpcm when you can use Atmos? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Plus 2 play 5 /ps5

Which audio is best i can get to ps5?

atmos on streaming services working Fine.

Badge +2

Hi All.

Sonos currently only supports 5.1 multichannel LCPM, though we are currently working on supporting 7.1 - by downmixing to 5.1, not full 7.1 reproduction. So right now, 7.1 LPCM is not supported and your sources should be set to 5.1 LPCM, where possible, or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ for Atmos).

In time (I have no details to share as to when), 7.1 LPCM will be downmixed to 5.1.0 on the Arc.

Differing content can often be mastered to different volume levels, and when a change in encoding is involved, this is even more likely as the sound track will be adjusted to best fit the parameters and abilities of the codec. Technically, however, LPCM isn’t a codec (it’s uncompressed) and is in fact how all digital equipment handles sound internally - at some point, regardless of any formats/codecs/channels being used, everything is converted to LPCM before being passed to the digital amplifiers inside all Sonos speakers/Amps. Included in the decoding process of Dolby Digital and Atmos to LPCM is a volume boost/range compression. As LPCM isn’t processed (decompressed) like a codec, there isn’t the same opportunity for this to happen. When LPCM is played, you get the closest to the original track possible - the data on the source is relayed directly to the amplifier after mixing.

Therefore, varying volume levels are normal, or they may be an artifact of 7.1 currently being mishandled.

@Corry P Hi Corry,

4 months on is there any update as to when this will be fixed? I am starting to get really annoyed with having to constantly change my ATV to send DD 5.1 for most shows (because LPCM just doesn’t sound right probably because it is 7.1 being mishandled), and LPCM (ATMOS) when I am watching an ATMOS film/show.

Surely we are close to this update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JiminLondon 

Nothing further to share at the moment, though some users have reported noticing an improvement in 7.1 LPCM handling since the last update.

Badge +2

@Corry P Thanks, that’s good for them but I am yet to notice an improvement. It is clear that the ATV 4K is sending the 7.1 LPCM track to my Sonos Arc based 5.1 set up and not knowing how to properly handle it. The result is a much softer and muffled LPCM (as opposed to forcing 5.1) and deteriorated surround performance.

Are we talking weeks or months until this is finally resolved? I have been waiting patiently for months but may need to speak to your team to get some kind of refund if I can’t see light at the end of the tunnel.

Badge

Is there an update on this lpcm 7.1 issue?

The Sonos app reports lpcm 7.1 on my blu rays from the Panasonic ub820 (which also reports it is outputting lpcm 7.1). However there is clearly an issue with the arc+sub+surrounds beyond just volume (which I don’t find to be a major issue). There is something being lost in the surrounds and there also appears to be clipping of some sounds.

I tested the 1999 Mummy on 4K uhd with DTS converted to lpcm 7.1 and on iTunes in Dolby digital 5.1. The iTunes version at a similar volume level appeared to have more active surrounds. (Spoiler for the Mummy!) Additionally, in the scene where the ruins collapse into the sands near the end, there’s plenty of bass but horrible clipping sounds that are not present at all on the iTunes version. It’s immediately recognisable as something sounding “wrong” to even a layperson with no interest in any of this stuff, as people watching with me thought my speakers were bust!

All the LPCM 7.1 tracks that I’ve heard sound poor compared to Atmos or even DD5.1, and it’s not due to the volume. It all appears to be working but something is off.  

Is there anyone who can test out the Mummy and confirm if this is reproduce-able on other setups?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Use LPCM

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@JiminLondon 

I don’t have that information.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

7.1 ?

But the volume will be lower