PS4 Pro outputting PCM via LG CX shows Multichannel PCM 7.1 for Sonos Arc, but rear surrounds have no audio

Show first post

127 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have the Arc, Sub, and Sonos 1 in a surround setup, connected to an LG CX via eArc. Previously I had the PS4 outputting Bitstream (Dolby), and Sonos reported Dolby Digital 5.1.

The fix that added LPCM to Sonos Arc recently went live, so I updated PS4 Pro to output PCM, and the HDMI input on the TV to PCM. (The output remained Passthrough). After doing this, the System Status page for Sonos shows Multichannel PCM 7.1.

However, I now get no rear surround audio in games like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. (It’s not faint, there’s really none.) I get the full surround experience if I change it back to getting Dolby Digital 5.1. On the PS4 Home screen, I do get sound from the rears in PCM 7.1, albeit very faintly, compared to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Does Sonos not downmix the extra channels properly? It’s kinda bad that a higher fidelity signal sounds worse.

It’s counterintuitive but leave the PS4 Pro/PS5 on PCM and change the HDMI Input on the TV to bitstream and the output to Auto. This fixed the issue for me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So yeah for PS5 it’s showing PCM 5.1 ( not Dolby as I said in my previous post) but can also confirm that Apple TV 4K is still showing 7.1.

Could you confirm if you have a Beam2 or an Arc and if you get audio dropouts with pcm 5.1 in your PS5? Thanks (i get dropouts with a Beam2)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

For those having issues with the LG CX outputting MultiChannel 7.1 to the Sonos ARC, have you tried changing the sound output to Auto instead of passthrough? This fixed the issue and changed it to Multichannel 5.1 for me.

Changing it to Auto changes the output to Dolby Multi-channel PCM 5.1, which is not the same as Multichannel PCM (LPCM)  as far as I know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So yeah for PS5 it’s showing PCM 5.1 ( not Dolby as I said in my previous post) but can also confirm that Apple TV 4K is still showing 7.1.

Could you confirm if you have a Beam2 or an Arc and if you get audio dropouts with pcm 5.1 in your PS5? Thanks (i get dropouts with a Beam2)

From a very quick test (Beam 2) I didn’t notice drop outs on the menu music but will try again properly later

Badge

Fix coming when?

Reportedly the July update.

Based on prior software updates, possibly mid-month on a Tuesday.

I have a similar issue but not sure is the same? Got a Beam 2 , LG CX and nvidia shield. When playing a dolby file in Plex i get the correct codec ie: AC3 , i get Dolby Plus in the app, TrueHD, i get Atmos... Plex is set to Passthrough. However, when i play a dts file, i get this Multichannel 7.1. strange thing is that plex is not even transcoding the Audio, it's doing direct play. How is that even possible since my TV does not support dts? I hear sound from the rear speakers but I assume is wrong then?

Hey that’s what I’m wondering too…why is the shield doing that as multichannel 7.1….no idea 

Userlevel 1
Badge

From a very quick test (Beam 2) I didn’t notice drop outs on the menu music but will try again properly later

@ste_ms 

If you have time, could you do the ff:

• Ensure that you are on the latest Beam 2 firmware (14.10) 
  • Under PS5 sound settings, set AV Amplifier, set 5.1ch, set Linear PCM
  • On the Sonos App, ensure that it reads the incoming audio as “Multichannel PCM 5.1”
  • You can stay on the settings menu if you like just make sure your volume is loud enough for you to notice. You should get constant audio dropout every 1-2 minutes.

This weird issue ONLY seems to occur with Beam 2 on 14.10 with Multichannel PCM 5.1. All other audio formats including Multichannel PCM 7.1 work fine. I made a thread about it so if you also suffer from the same issue, perhaps you can post there and maybe someone can file a case haha or maybe with enough people complaining we can make Sonos get off their ass.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

For those having issues with the LG CX outputting MultiChannel 7.1 to the Sonos ARC, have you tried changing the sound output to Auto instead of passthrough? This fixed the issue and changed it to Multichannel 5.1 for me.

Changing it to Auto changes the output to Dolby Multi-channel PCM 5.1, which is not the same as Multichannel PCM (LPCM)  as far as I know.

It shows in the Sonos App as Multichannel PCM 5.1 when playing Dolby 5.1 content and shows as Dolby Atmos when playing Atmos content (Not DD+ Atmos). From my understanding this is what you would expect to see, since Sonos doesn’t do 7.1.

Ok that is nice, unfortunately not in my case. I’m using an Apple TV 4K and not a PS4 so perhaps there is a difference there. Have to do some more experimenting. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@ste_ms

If you have time, could you do the ff:

• Ensure that you are on the latest Beam 2 firmware (14.10) 
  • Under PS5 sound settings, set AV Amplifier, set 5.1ch, set Linear PCM
  • On the Sonos App, ensure that it reads the incoming audio as “Multichannel PCM 5.1”
  • You can stay on the settings menu if you like just make sure your volume is loud enough for you to notice. You should get constant audio dropout every 1-2 minutes.

This weird issue ONLY seems to occur with Beam 2 on 14.10 with Multichannel PCM 5.1. All other audio formats including Multichannel PCM 7.1 work fine. I made a thread about it so if you also suffer from the same issue, perhaps you can post there and maybe someone can file a case haha or maybe with enough people complaining we can make Sonos get off their ass.

Is there no bitstream setting on the PS5, not had one is ages so can’t remember.

I have ARC here and just played some fifa and didn't notice any dropouts, so perhaps a Beam specific issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It shows in the Sonos App as Multichannel PCM 5.1 when playing Dolby 5.1 content and shows as Dolby Atmos when playing Atmos content (Not DD+ Atmos). From my understanding this is what you would expect to see, since Sonos doesn’t do 7.1.

Ok that is nice, unfortunately not in my case. I’m using an Apple TV 4K and not a PS4 so perhaps there is a difference there. Have to do some more experimenting. 

I’m using an Apple TV 4K as well at the moment on an LG CX and getting these results. I’ve left the Apple TV on Auto, Atmos Available for Audio and I have set HDMI Input Audio on the TV to Bitstream and Audio Output to Auto. It’s really weird how so many of us are getting different results.

Yes extremely weird. What is your source? I’m playing a blu-ray rip with DTS-HD 5.1 with Infuse. But I get the same with all Non-Atmos content from Netflix. I get Atmos with Netflix Atmos content. Below is what I get with audio output on Auto

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I am having this same issue on the PS5.  I tried selecting the PS5 option of connecting to an AV receiver and using a 5.1 setup but I am still missing audio channels.  Anyone know what the exact issue is?

Strange, I need to double check my settings but off the top of my head my LG OLED is set to passthrough and PS5 set to Output Type: AV Amplifier, Audio Type: LPCM, Channel setup: 5.1

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Ive also got a PC and Nintendo Switch. The Switch asked me if I'd like 5.1 or 7.1 so I selected 5.1. The PC was a little tricky, on the PC I can output Lpcm or Atmos but it was defaulting to 7.1.2 or 7.1 for both - I found an option in Windows that let me disabled the SR and LR channel so now the PC outputs 5.1.2 or 5.1 only 

I’ve seen you mention this, but no-one else (Myself included) has been able to do it. The Nintendo Switch only gives an option for TV Sound Output of Surround, Auto or Stereo. You cannot choose 5.1 or 7.1 on the Switch.

If you somehow know a way, please teach the rest of us.

Userlevel 2
Badge

LG CX and PS5 with Sonos Arc here. I’m using the settings below and getting some pretty solid sound with Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1. So far any other setting results in Stereo PCM 2.0 and sounds worse. I know it’s not LPCM, but so far I can’t get anything else to work.

LG CX:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Auto

PS5: 

Audio Format (Priority): Bitstream (Dolby)

HDMI Device Type: AV Ampoifier

Number of Channels: 5.1ch

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @ledzep1 & @Shadylane 

At present, we have no time scale to share, I’m afraid.

Hi

Was this fixed in recent 13.2 update?

Release notes don’t give any useful information, and I have seen a few mention this firmware has sorted the issue, can you confirm please.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Update from Sonos’ CEO on Twitter that they’re working on it:

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Spence/status/1334844832871682049?s=20

Brilliant, this fixed along with the drop outs fixed will be all I want for Christmas:wink:

I have a different “issue” I’m not sure it’s an issue I never had the LPCM 7.1 but mine always reports 5.1 multichannel on the PS4 and when I turn a character around like in resident evil 2 remake and there’s water dropping it’s coming out from all channels, BUT on the settings on the TV the LG C9 I have the output to Bitstream, if I put to PCM I only get PCM 2.0 on the PS4….it’s weird if my TV is set to bitstream I can set everything to hdmi and PCM on the PS4 and get 5.1 audio I never got any option for 7.1, which is correct, but it changes it to 2.0 if I select PCM on the TV settings no matter if I set it to auto or passthrough I have the same thing

Not Sonos related but PS4 Pro related- I’m having an issue with my receiver and PlayStation. I’m always seeing Multichannel pcm 7.1 regardless of source content and I don’t hear anything out of my center channel and/or surrounds at times. Seems like a PlayStation issue…

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have a different “issue” I’m not sure it’s an issue I never had the LPCM 7.1 but mine always reports 5.1 multichannel on the PS4 and when I turn a character around like in resident evil 2 remake and there’s water dropping it’s coming out from all channels, BUT on the settings on the TV the LG C9 I have the output to Bitstream, if I put to PCM I only get PCM 2.0 on the PS4….it’s weird if my TV is set to bitstream I can set everything to hdmi and PCM on the PS4 and get 5.1 audio I never got any option for 7.1, which is correct, but it changes it to 2.0 if I select PCM on the TV settings no matter if I set it to auto or passthrough I have the same thing

do you have any other games to test? With water the sound can sometimes come out all around you if that's what the developer intended, especially if the source of water is from a roof/fixture/waterfall that's above your characters head in the game. For example when it's a waterfall like in uncharted 4 you'll notice the sound everywhere if you stand close to the waterfall but if you stand far a enough away you only hear the sound based on your direction to the waterfall 

as for bitstream and pcm, use bitstream - as confusing as the names are, pcm is for 2.0 sound and bitstream is for higher quality surround audio 

I thought Multichannel PCM or LPCM was the better audio quality and that’s the new codec Sonos supports or maybe LPCM is different….as for the water it was coming specifically from a window and would only play on the channel I was facing that’s how I tested it, and yeah I tested it with horizon zero dawn and the last of us 2 to name a few

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Still no LPCM improvement on my CX with the latest 03.21.09 fw gents

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Still no LPCM improvement on my CX with the latest 03.21.09 fw gents

Isn't Sonos working on the fix?

A few posts above mentions this.

*I see you tweeted the CEO for an update.:thumbsup:

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Any updates on this, they said they were aware of it at the beginning of December.

Userlevel 1

How long can it take to correct this bug?

In my believe it should be enough to correct the channel mapping in the ARC, which is obviously wrong at the moment. Shouldn’t that only be a matter of days??

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Anyone able to tell if this has been resolved in the 12.2.3 update? Can’t find any release notes 

Userlevel 1

Anyone able to tell if this has been resolved in the 12.2.3 update? Can’t find any release notes 

12.2.3 is not a system update. 
Only app (at least for me).