PS4 Pro outputting PCM via LG CX shows Multichannel PCM 7.1 for Sonos Arc, but rear surrounds have no audio

Show first post

127 replies

Add me to the list with this issue: LG CX, apple tv 4k 2021, sonos arc, sub, ones.

Still not understanding if lg or sonos issue, but who am I to figure this out. I just want a proper working setup...

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @billiejoe87 

I completely get your point, but I cannot communicate an issue that we aren’t officially aware of, especially if the issue is on a partner’s hardware.

With all due respect, this issue has been talked about in multiple threads on here and from what I’ve read elsewhere, people were re-directed to this thread. This has led people to believe the fix was coming from Sonos.

Have a look at this thread which is one amongst a few. It discusses exactly what I’m talking about with LG TV’s: 

When the 2nd biggest TV maker in the world and manufacturer of the most premium TV’s on the market doesn’t support your product properly, it isn’t going to end well. Especially when there are people all over other forums linking here as evidence it was going to be fixed and who held onto the Sonos ARC’s under the promise there was a fix coming.

I think Sonos owe it to the community to get hold of one of these TV’s and work out who’s end the problem is on, as I haven’t seen this same issue with other eARC soundbars and LG TV’s. Or at minimum, make it very clear in this thread (using a stickied post) advising people to contact LG as the issue is not a Sonos one. Something similar to what you guys did with the old LG Lip Sync issue threads.

Right now, you are in the unenviable position of potentially accidentally misleading people for months about an upcoming fix for an issue which is unfortunately out of your control to fix, and this thread is what people in many other forums are linking to as evidence that the issue is a Sonos one and not LG.

I say this, as I have mentioned in a few forums the issue not being caused by Sonos, and almost always get linked back here to tell me I’m wrong, and you guys are fixing it! LG support have even used it to tell one guy on AVForums that the issue is a Sonos one due to this thread! LG clearly have no intention of fixing anything, as the LG CX which was last years TV suffered with the same issue and still isn’t fixed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Another new Arc owner here with a 5.1 setup, and an LGC1 having this issue. 

I’m kind of amazed scrolling back how long this has gone on without a fix. Somewhat disheartening. 

Lgc1 does not support dts pass through 

Only c9 or older does

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @billiejoe87 

I really strongly believe that Sonos is unintentionally misleading us with their supposed fix for this issue.

Sonos will add downconversion for LPCM 7.1 to LPCM 5.1, however I think the issue with LG TV’s incorrectly sending all LPCM audio as LPCM 7.1 won’t be fixed as it’s an LG problem. The LG’s wrongly send all LPCM as LPCM 7.1 even if it’s only LPCM 5.1 audio.

I really hope I’m wrong, but I feel Sonos announcement that the issue was on their own end has made everyone not put pressure on LG to fix their own issue with incorrectly sending the wrong audio. As someone else here said, if you use a HDFury device or a Sony TV the issue goes away. 

To be clear, I was addressing the original post, in which PCM was being selected as the output format on the source device.

If your LG TV is converting another format to 7.1 LPCM without being told to, then that is indeed an issue with the TV.

Is it really asking much for Sonos to contact LG and make them aware of the issue for all LG owners that own the Sonos Arc?

No, but it would not count as much as numerous LG TV owners getting in touch and doing the same. If we were to inform them (and perhaps we have already), but there wasn’t a significant volume of LG customers getting in touch with LG about the same issue, they wouldn’t take it as a priority. Customer contact volume is the only thing that will drive them assign the problem with a higher priority. I therefore recommend that you do get in touch with LG.

I agree, but as I said LG 1st line support are beyond useless, I have contacted them numerous times and get some obscure response not at all to do with the issue I told them about, how are we supposed to get it fixed if they don’t have a clue. 

That is why I was hoping Sonos would have a better line of contact to LG to help get the issue across.

I understand it’s not really Sonos job to do this though.

It looks like we will just have to live with it.

Crazy as it should be an easy fix I would hope

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Another new Arc owner here with a 5.1 setup, and an LGC1 having this issue. 

I’m kind of amazed scrolling back how long this has gone on without a fix. Somewhat disheartening. 

Lgc1 does not support dts pass through 

Only c9 or older does

Also the newer lg TVs have this problem with games waiting on a firmware fix

There's a video on YouTube by hdtv test detailing most of the issues in this thread 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

LG G1

Apple tv 4k

Sonos Beam 2

also still waiting for downmixing 7.1 to 5.1 bug to be input to use pas trough on my tv….

one year…. Still nothing 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve raised this again in another thread and had a response from Sonos that this is not a bug apparently

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-7-1-downmix-to-5-1-6863804

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

That is correct it is not a bug. What is is poor design choices and poor quality assurance during testing on Sonos part, knowingly and or unknowingly releasing a feature that would inherently lead to push back from users - whether they had anticipated this or not is irrelevant, the fact is it happened. 

The reason it's not a bug is because the feature claims to work with 5.1 lpcm and it does; the thing is Sonos never bother actually testing the feature using consumer products that users would have to use, they either used some in-house custom audio equipment or just did all work in virtual environments. If they had tested this feature using consumer audio visual equipment they would have seen that they had a big problem with the way lpcm is handled by audio equipment.

Sonos has designed its LPCM support using a fairy tale lalaland idea of how its speakers would interact with other audio visual equipment and this is the outcome. It's still not bug though. I don't know how LPCM support is advertised for the Arc’s product page I haven't checked the main Sonos site in a while but they should possibly just remove all mention of LPCM and stop selling the ARC to people who expect flawless LPCM playback; it's reasonable for users who spend lots of money to expect something to just work without excuses so if they can't deliver that then stop advertising it that's my opinion 

Currently, Sonos does support multichannel LPCM in 5.1 mode on the Arc, but does not support multichannel LPCM in 7.1 mode - Downmixing LPCM 7.1 to 5.1 is a feature we are currently working on, however; we do not have any further information to share with you at this time. Rest assured, we will address this in a forthcoming update.

Hi Corry,

thanks for chiming in. Can you confirm that a fix will for sure be coming, and that it’s only a matter of time? Or are you still in the process of figuring out how and if it can be fixed?

I’m asking because with the time it’s taking to fix this, I fear I might be over the 100 days return window with still no fix available.

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

LG G1

Apple tv 4k

Sonos Beam 2

also still waiting for downmixing 7.1 to 5.1 bug to be input to use pas trough on my tv….

one year…. Still nothing 

There was an update today, version 14.0, not had chance to check it out yet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @Corry P, I must admit on my quick look over the forum, I can so far only see other users linking here, not Sonos staff.

You however, I believe added to the confusion by posting this earlier in this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/ps4-pro-outputting-pcm-via-lg-cx-shows-multichannel-pcm-7-1-for-sonos-arc-but-rear-surrounds-have-no-audio-6850771?postid=16528488#post16528488

Your post was after a string of messages in this thread including the following 2, along with being almost directly after Ledzep asked for a follow up from Sonos about the problem:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/ps4-pro-outputting-pcm-via-lg-cx-shows-multichannel-pcm-7-1-for-sonos-arc-but-rear-surrounds-have-no-audio-6850771?postid=16516418#post16516418

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/ps4-pro-outputting-pcm-via-lg-cx-shows-multichannel-pcm-7-1-for-sonos-arc-but-rear-surrounds-have-no-audio-6850771?postid=16516779#post16516779

Hopefully you can see where the confusion set in. As you didn’t quote anyone in particular in your message, I assume now you were replying to the title of the thread, but originally it looked like you were responding to the question about the LG bug.

Let’s hope that like you said, your own update helps with the LG bug anyway. For me I’m moving to the Sony A90J anyway, as I know that works well right now.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

LG G1

Apple tv 4k

Sonos Beam 2

one year…. Still nothing 

There was an update today, version 14.0, not had chance to check it out yet.

Yep
Tested yesterday and problem still here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you confirm that a fix will for sure be coming, and that it’s only a matter of time? Or are you still in the process of figuring out how and if it can be fixed?

I’m asking because with the time it’s taking to fix this, I fear I might be over the 100 days return window with still no fix available.

Thanks.

It’s really just a software issue, so I see no reason for 7.1 downmixing support not to arrive on the Arc. As for how long it will take, I don’t have that information.

Generally, Sonos will not say anything about a feature until it’s already ready. As we’re already confirming we’re working on this, we’re committed and the Arc will downmix 7.1 LPCM at some point. The official line is “This is a feature we are currently working on, however; we do not have any further information to share with you at this time. Rest assured, we will address this in a forthcoming update.”

So, you should be good to keep your Arc beyond the return period.

I recently bought a Beam 2 and have it hooked up to a new LG CX and an Apple TV. I am seeing the same behavior as others with Multichannel 7.1 being displayed in the Sonos app when watching non-Atmos content with eARC enabled and pass through on the ATV. 

However using the native Smart TV apps on the LG for Netflix, Prime and YouTube TV i get different results. With eARC enabled and output set to pass through everything works - I get DD 5.1 when watching Netflix/Prime/YouTube TV 5.1 content and Atmos when watching Atmos content. Everything actually sounds great.

On my Shield the only issue I get is with DTS content and since I know LG will not pass through DTS - Sonos outputs Multichannel PCM 7.1 through Kodi. This is less of a concern as i rarely use Kodi on this TV. Either way, this is somewhat expected given LG’s inability to pass DTS.

So at this point I guess my ATV is a doorstop until someone fixes this. Which is a shame as I love it. I can’t be bothered constantly switching between Auto/passthrough or toggling eARC on/off. I’ll use the native LG apps for now. This thread is more than a year old so I’m guessing that may never happen.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Perhaps its not an issue as such, and just how the lg and sonos arc report everything in LPCM as 7.1.

I must admit when the sonos arc reports something as multichannel pcm 7.1 it sounds fine to me.

i don’t have any rears though, just the ARC and Sub here.

In any case It would be nice if someone from support could respond, as much as I love sonos, I think their communication could be a lot better.

So this down mixing feature/fix do you have any update sonos support?

I’m sure even the sonos ceo tweeted a long while ago that its in the works and in active testing. I can’t find the tweet now though. Please respond sonos, silence is not a good approach.

I got the latest Sonos update yesterday (version 13) and I am still experiencing the same issue where the sound is muffled when I set my Ps5 audio output to lpcm. I have a Ps5, lg cx , and Sonos arc + sub + two SL ones. I am setting my Ps5 to use bitstream Dolby for now. Also I would like to note that I am setting my Ps5 to 5.1 channels instead 7.1 as I am aware the Sonos arc supports 5.1. 

Badge

Is this issue only with the LG CX?

Anything in DD 5.1 on apple4k tv is output as multichannel pcm 7.1

Blurays on my oppo203 in 5.1  output as 7.1

setting series x to uncompressed 5.1 outputs as multichannel pcm 7.1

Unsure if this topic relates to the same issue, can someone from Sonos please confirm, I have had this issue since the LPCM update you released, and it would be nice to know if it is indeed an issue with the Sonos?

Thank you

Yes it is only with the LG BX/CX/GX from what I can tell.

My Sony A8H with eARC passes 5.1 PCM without any issues from the Apple TV, Nintendo Switch etc. My LG CX always had the 7.1 PCM issue.

Add it to the list of issues with the LG CX. Thankfully, generally LG end up patching their issues eventually even though they often break other things in the process.

For me, I’d rather not deal with the level of incompetence LG brings to such expensive products. They’ve always had issues with Sonos equipment in terms of dropouts, lip sync etc.

I have a LG GX on firmware 03.21.18 and connecting the Sonos Arc directly with the eArc port of the LG GX and using the Apple TV 4k on tvOS 14.5, i have the same problem. However, after connecting the Sonos Arc via the HDfury Arcana, the output is correctly multichannel pcm 5.1 again.

So i think it’s an issue in combination with the LG. For me the learning is clear - i’ll never be not using an HDfury product from now on. ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So as a welcome update this appears to be fixed with the latest LG CX firmware update 04.40.10. I had to turn eARC on and off after the software had updated but I am now seeing Dolby Digital 5.1 rather than Multichannel PCM 7.1. Not had chance to check for any sound change/improvement but glad it’s now sorted.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

So as a welcome update this appears to be fixed with the latest LG CX firmware update 04.40.10. I had to turn eARC on and off after the software had updated but I am now seeing Dolby Digital 5.1 rather than Multichannel PCM 7.1. Not had chance to check for any sound change/improvement but glad it’s now sorted.

Yeah same on Xbox, set to uncompressed 5.1 outputs in Multichannel pcm 5.1 , used to say 7.1.

Still doesn't display correctly for 5.1 audio on the apple tv 4k though, everything is still in multichannel pcm 7.1, but Im sure its outputting correctly still as it sounds ok to me.

Just weird that some devices match up and others don’t.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Confirmed working as well with PS5, however selecting pcm 5.1 causes audio dropouts every 1-2 minutes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What’s the news on any update to fix this issue?

Was it this month we were potentially getting a update to fix it, I get they like to test things but it seems to be taking for ever.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

So yeah for PS5 it’s showing PCM 5.1 ( not Dolby as I said in my previous post) but can also confirm that Apple TV 4K is still showing 7.1.

It’s weird isn't it, how can one display correctly and the other not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

So, it looks like this might be the reason: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/lpcm-eta-for-arc-6842558?postid=16488286#post16488286

TL:DR, it looks like LPCM 7.1 is downmixed incorrectly with side channels coming out the rear and rear channels not coming out at all. Back to Dolby Bitstream it is. (And back to having to switch modes between Atmos and non-Atmos on Apple TV 4k too.) Sigh.

I know Sonos doesn’t do ETAs, but can we at least get an official acknowledgement of this problem?

can you make the PS4 output lpcm 5.? 

When I first started the ps5 it was set to “TV sound” lpcm 7.1 and while the number of channels can be changed it was greyed out. I changed the output type to “AV Receiver” and then it let me change the channel to 5.1. After doing that I confirmed in the Sonos app that the Arc was getting “Multichannel 5.1”. After doing this the sound output is correct.

Unfortunately i no longer have a PS4 to test but hopefully it has the same options.

Ive also got a PC and Nintendo Switch. The Switch asked me if I'd like 5.1 or 7.1 so I selected 5.1. The PC was a little tricky, on the PC I can output Lpcm or Atmos but it was defaulting to 7.1.2 or 7.1 for both - I found an option in Windows that let me disabled the SR and LR channel so now the PC outputs 5.1.2 or 5.1 only 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

For those having issues with the LG CX outputting MultiChannel 7.1 to the Sonos ARC, have you tried changing the sound output to Auto instead of passthrough? This fixed the issue and changed it to Multichannel 5.1 for me.