Onkyo "Works with Sonos" issue - Please help

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Definitely broken integration between Onkyo and Sonos with new Sonos update
Same here, official reaction/support/fix would be much appreciated!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not yet. Waiting for a firmware update from either Sonos or Onkyo. I’m still using the workaround solution.
Did you ever find a solution to get "Works with SONOS" to find your Sonos Connect?

I have the same problem here with an Onkyo TX-NR686.

All settings are according to the manual, but the receiver can't find the Sonos Connect.

I'm pretty sure my network is setup correctly, as both devices have a pingable IP from my local router and I can see and select the Sonos Connect and my Sonos Speakers as a music server from the NET-Input of the receiver.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I actually figure it out just with Samsung Smartthings Hub. The hub connects to my Sonos speakers and also to my Harmony Hub. I have an activity in my Harmony Hub that turns my Onkyo on and changes input to CD (Sonos).

I created an automation within Smartthings that when my Connect powers on it runs my Harmony activity. Then when my connect powers off it turns off the activity. The nice thing is that Smartthings uses the state of resume/play and pause as power on and power off. By doing this then I can use either my Lutron Caseta Audo Pico remotes or my iPort Xpress remote or any iphone/ipad to play sonos and as long as the connect is part of the group being played it runs the Harmony activities.

I first was able to achieve this using IFTTT because the Smartthings Hub could not find my sonos speakers but after doing some research I reserved a fixed ip address for each sonos device and used the Classic Smartthings app to find my Sonos devices. Worked like a charm.

I no longer need Sonos or Onkyo to fix the issue. It is actually better anyways because my onkyo now turns off when pausing sonos. With the integration the onkyo would stay on.
Badge
@bs49 - As long as you're comfortable with YAML and perhaps a little Python you'll be more than good-to-go.
Badge
I just got off the phone with Onkyo support and they finally acknowledged that the new Sonos 10.0 update broke the Works With Sonos Onkyo integration. They told me they had a few other similar calls about it and that they were going to escalate the issue and will roll out a new firmware in the future. No timeline was given and they told me to manually turn on and switch input for now. I am fine with that if it will be fixed eventually.

In the meantime I learned how to use IFTTT to integrate multiple Zwave and WiFi devices. I was able to place a widget button on my phone that will turn on the receiver and switch the input to CD via Harmony Hub and also start playing a specific Sonos Favorite list on a specific Sonos group at a specific volume level just by pressing the button widget. My next step is to somehow do the same by pressing the Play/Pause hardware button on the Lutron Caseta Audio Pico remote. If I can achieve this then it would be better than Works With Sonos because it would also turn off my Onkyo when I pause the music. I have been able to achieve this already by sending email alerts to IFTTT which in turn triggers multiple applets to achieve this. I just need to find a way to integrate Lutron Caseta Smart controller in. It is compatible with IFTTT but has no triggers on the Audio remote.

It's relatively easy to do with Home Assistant, although HA itself requires a bit of a learning curve and about a $40 outlay to buy a RasberryPi 3B+ so to run it. Once you get HA up and running on the RPi (or NAS or some other type of always-on home server), you can set a listener in HA that listens for a "state" change of your Sonos to "play". And once HA detects the state change you can have HA automatically trigger the Onkyo to turn on, change inputs (to CD or whatever input you use for your Sonos) and set the Onkyo to a specific volume. A similar listenser would turn the Onkyo off on a change of the Sonos' state to "pause".

In general, Home Assistant is super powerful . . . far more so than other solutions out there, and it can be operated without any cloud-based connections so to insure higher security than other solutions. If you are into home automation you really should check it out at: https://www.home-assistant.io/

I really appreciate the info. I am a software developer and am sure I can figure it out. Just needed the initial guidance. I will start reviewing Home assistant.

As long as you're comfortable with YAML and perhaps a little Python you'll be more than good-to-go.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just got off the phone with Onkyo support and they finally acknowledged that the new Sonos 10.0 update broke the Works With Sonos Onkyo integration. They told me they had a few other similar calls about it and that they were going to escalate the issue and will roll out a new firmware in the future. No timeline was given and they told me to manually turn on and switch input for now. I am fine with that if it will be fixed eventually.

In the meantime I learned how to use IFTTT to integrate multiple Zwave and WiFi devices. I was able to place a widget button on my phone that will turn on the receiver and switch the input to CD via Harmony Hub and also start playing a specific Sonos Favorite list on a specific Sonos group at a specific volume level just by pressing the button widget. My next step is to somehow do the same by pressing the Play/Pause hardware button on the Lutron Caseta Audio Pico remote. If I can achieve this then it would be better than Works With Sonos because it would also turn off my Onkyo when I pause the music. I have been able to achieve this already by sending email alerts to IFTTT which in turn triggers multiple applets to achieve this. I just need to find a way to integrate Lutron Caseta Smart controller in. It is compatible with IFTTT but has no triggers on the Audio remote.

It's relatively easy to do with Home Assistant, although HA itself requires a bit of a learning curve and about a $40 outlay to buy a RasberryPi 3B+ so to run it. Once you get HA up and running on the RPi (or NAS or some other type of always-on home server), you can set a listener in HA that listens for a "state" change of your Sonos to "play". And once HA detects the state change you can have HA automatically trigger the Onkyo to turn on, change inputs (to CD or whatever input you use for your Sonos) and set the Onkyo to a specific volume. A similar listenser would turn the Onkyo off on a change of the Sonos' state to "pause".

In general, Home Assistant is super powerful . . . far more so than other solutions out there, and it can be operated without any cloud-based connections so to insure higher security than other solutions. If you are into home automation you really should check it out at: https://www.home-assistant.io/

I really appreciate the info. I am a software developer and am sure I can figure it out. Just needed the initial guidance. I will start reviewing Home assistant.
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge
strange, but there is absolutely no support for this issue! Hey Sonos!

Right! I am going to call both Sonos and Onkyo again today to see if they have any updates. If I can't resolve it by tomorrow I will either return both items to Amazon or figure another smart home way of turning on my Onkyo and changing the input to CD when I press play on either my Lutron Caseta Audio Pico or my iPort Xpress.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve this? I have a Harmony Hub that can control my Onkyo but I cannot find a way for either the Xpress or the Lutron Caseta to send a control command to my Harmony Hub. I may need to use a middle smart hub that can work with both. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. It is frustrating that I may need to resort to this considering the supposed integration feature being pushed and advertised by both companies. And I do not want to use Alexa (staying away for privacy reasons).
strange, but there is absolutely no support for this issue! Hey Sonos!
Userlevel 2
Badge
It is frustrating that they both advertise this feature and no support rep at either company has any idea about it and that it may be broken. I suspect the latest Sonos update is the issue. Are there any Sonos reps in these forums that can look into this for us?
Badge
Just got off the phone with Onkyo re this same problem. They couldn't solve the issue. Tried updating the Sonos system software, soft-resets, hard-resets, etc., etc. This is getting really old!