Answered

No surround with toshiba

• 10 December 2018
  • 12 replies

Badge
Hi every one!! I run a playbase 5.1 sonos system with an Apple TV gen 4 on my Toshiba 46XV645U and I can’t have the surround sound... the toslink setup can’t be select as something esle than pcm ... can some one help me with that?
icon

Best answer by Chris 11 December 2018, 01:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You using the optical out from Toshiba and in Toshiba sound settings you dont' have Dolby Digital or Bitstream as a selection type.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
According to page 43 of your manual you set it to Auto (Auto will output Dolby Digital if your source video is outputting that and will output PCM otherwise).

So set the TV to auto and set the AppleTV to output Dolby Digital (not plus)
Badge
When i’m In auto and Dolby from the Apple TV I have absoulutly no sound
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The setting in the AppleTV needs to be set to "Dolby Surround". Make sure the AppleTV is not set to Auto.
Badge
Am I wrong?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Set the HDMI audio from Auto to Digital and see what happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I see a spot in your TV manual that says "Dolby Digital only available when tuned to a Digital RF channel".

that makes me think that the TV won't pass Dolby Digital (common in some older TVs).

The option to fix this is pull the optical direct from the HDMI instead of the TV.

Adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B00KBHX072

Then you can connect the optical cable there instead of to the TV itself.

If you have more than one HDMI device you would need a switch so you can hook all your HDMI devices to it.

Like this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15375
Badge
Not sound yet...
Badge
My playbase was connected to my Samsung in the living room but I just bought a beam and wanna try the playbase in the basement and my deception was judge when I ear absolutely no sound haha I think I try every thing ... so if anyone have other solutions... if I place my Apple TV in auto I have a cheep stereo sound but in Dolby digital 5.1 nothing
Badge
With the Samsung and the Apple TV I have no problem for the Dolby 5.1
Badge
Ok thank you for your time!! Do you know if I buy the new sonos amp and I plug my focal 736s tower as front speakers for my "LCR " simulated. Can I put sonos play 5 hen 2 as surround plus the sub?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you can have a Sonos Amp setup as the LCR and then pair 2 (Play:5 gen2) as surrounds and a Sonos sub. You can't use the wired Sub out of the Sonos Amp to wire a sub to be the LFE channel (so it would only be 5.0 unless using a Sonos Sub). The wired sub out is always just a crossover low pass of the sound from the 2 speakers attached. Hopefully that makes sense.

Your TV doesn't have HDMI ARC (arc output) so you would be in same situation with the optical output from that TV. Having also then to use the converter for HDMI to Optical to input into the Sonos Amp. I don't think the adapter comes with the Amp (it does with beam) but is available on sonos.com seperate.