Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey there,

I have not read every reply in this thread but I have an LG BX 65” OLED (2020), Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc. Apple TV Atmos content is silent for me, dead silent. All other audio types worked perfectly. I thought it was an Arc+Apple TV issue because because Atmos worked perfectly from other sources, the built in TV apps, a Sony 4K Blu-ray player, Xbox. 

But then, I unplugged the Arc from the TV and switched the audio to the TV’s own built in “atmos” speakers. Apple TV 4K Atmos tracks also did not work here, once again it was silence and all other audio types from all sources worked perfectly.

The Television is the problem here, right?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Is this future update more beneficial for people that use external devices?

I’m using internal apps on my LG CX to the Sonos ARC and seem to get the best audio possible I think.

Netflix I get atmos (dd+) and dolby digital plus 5.1 

Apple tv app purchased movies I get atmos as above and dolby digital 5.1 

Have an Oppo 203 as well which I presume I willl get atmos (true HD) for UHD atmos discs, but not tested that as yet.

So where does this future LPCM update come into play?

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Don’t forget, these expanded Apple menus only appear IF you are plugged into the ARC (eARC) port on your TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Same here.  I appreciate the photos, but those settings are not allowing any sound through my Nano91. 

You guys aren’t getting Atmos or any sound at all?

No sound at all unless I force 5.1 from Apple TV or use LG built in apps. Just have to wait for Sonos or LG to release a fix I guess.

Yep no sound if using Atmos turned on (on the Apple TV 4K) as in your screen grabs.  Using the same settings and ZERO sound.  Have to turn off Atmos on the Apple TV 4K and then it works with Dolby Digital 5.1.

With the built-in LG apps it does work for Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney i.e., Atmos with Sonos Arc.   So for now I have stopped using the Apple TV 4K.

On the 2020 75 Nano it also has no sound on the internal tv speakers with Atmos on when using the Apple TV 4K.   So this must be related to the update LG made to the way they handle LPCM.  I verified this others owners of the 2020 Nano and they have the same issue as well..different threads.

I almost considered changing to the new LG soundbar 7.1 channel setup but I am too far invested in Sonos so I decided not too.  I have Sonos speakers throughout my household and I use airplay 2 so it doesn’t make sense.

And its too late to return the New TV.   Not really a deal breaker as I don’t listen to the tv speakers, always had a Playbar or beam and now the Sonos Arc.  I am hoping the update that Sonos is working on for LPCM will fix it., and if that fails to see how everyone does with the HD Fury Arcana adapter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

You guys aren’t getting Atmos or any sound at all?

Yes I have 03.01.15 as well Lg 75 Nano 906  2020 eARC and it doesn’t work.   Sorry I manually updated to 03.01.30 from .15 and no change.  This update is on LG support page for my model.  Automatic update didn’t detect it.   It works for internal apps Apple TV+, Netflix and Disney.  But does not work on Apple TV 4K with this brand new model with eARC.

I followed all of these steps but still won’t get any sound through my Arc. Can you confirm the firmware you’re running in your LG?

Thanks! My BX is running 03.01.15 and won’t update any further than that, so maybe it’s a model specific issue as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I followed all of these steps but still won’t get any sound through my Arc. Can you confirm the firmware you’re running in your LG?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

SoCal - I don’t think that’s correct.

As for the rest of this thread, I can report that I am running the latest firmware on an LG E9 and do not have this issue.  My Apple TV is playing Atmos without having to do anything in the audio settings.  Just make sure your audio setting is set to “Auto” rather than “Pass Through” or PCM.

But what about when you’re trying to play DD5.1 content? On my system (Apple TV, LG C9, Sonos Arc, it plays Atmos content perfectly but the Sonos Arc sees DD5.1 content as Stereo 2.0.

You are right.  That is an issue for me too. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As for the rest of this thread, I can report that I am running the latest firmware on an LG E9 and do not have this issue.  My Apple TV is playing Atmos without having to do anything in the audio settings.  Just make sure your audio setting is set to “Auto” rather than “Pass Through” or PCM.

But what about when you’re trying to play DD5.1 content? On my system (Apple TV, LG C9, Sonos Arc, it plays Atmos content perfectly but the Sonos Arc sees DD5.1 content as Stereo 2.0.

Super helpful. Thanks, ewolkoff.

Also, power move with the fireplace in the bedroom!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks - that’s interesting. 

This could not get more complicated if they tried.

When you say you’re getting atmos - is that through an external Apple TV 4K console, or the LG Apple app?

Apple TV 4K.  You can’t get Atmos through the LG Apple app (or any Apple app).  Apple only allows Atmos through their own hardware (not their Apple TV apps).  That’s true on all brands of TVs that have Apple apps.  And they only allow Atmos through their own hardware with an eARC connection (no ARC).  Why?  Because they are Apple and Apple does stuff like that.

I am very curious how you have been able to receive Atmos through your Apple TV 4k?  I have this setup and am unable to receive any audio when ATV is set to auto.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

When you say you’re getting atmos - is that through an external Apple TV 4K console, or the LG Apple app?

Apple TV 4K.  You can’t get Atmos through the LG Apple app (or any Apple app).  Apple only allows Atmos through their own hardware (not their Apple TV apps).  That’s true on all brands of TVs that have Apple apps.  And they only allow Atmos through their own hardware with an eARC connection (no ARC).  Why?  Because they are Apple and Apple does stuff like that.

This is not correct.  The internal Apple TV app on my LG CX has recently been updated. It now plays Atmos tracks. I believe LG tv’s are the first devices to be able to play atmos tracks via the Apple TV app.

I stand corrected.  Just released: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/30/lg-smart-tv-dolby-atmos-support-apple-tv-app/

Can confirm it works on an E9. 

This is not correct.  The internal Apple TV app on my LG CX has recently been updated. It now plays Atmos tracks. I believe LG tv’s are the first devices to be able to play atmos tracks via the Apple TV app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you very much for the clarity here.

I purchased the Sonos ARC and connected it do an older Samsung through an ARC port and haven’t been able to get Atmos through my Apple TV 4k (or any other source for that matter).

Your comments confirming new LG’s with an eARC connection pass through atmos are steering me in the direction of picking up a new LG  GX.

Yeah I have an Apple 4K TV connected to a 2018 Samsung QLED 60 and no dice on Atmos (though I get it through Roku, Firestick and some Samsung TV apps).  LG GX is a nice TV.   I recommend buying through Greentoe.  You’ll save a bunch of money.   Just got my E9 a couple of weeks ago (wanted a 2019 for the full HDMI 2.1 ports and the better price). 

Thank you very much for the clarity here.

I purchased the Sonos ARC and connected it do an older Samsung through an ARC port and haven’t been able to get Atmos through my Apple TV 4k (or any other source for that matter).

Your comments confirming new LG’s with an eARC connection pass through atmos are steering me in the direction of picking up a new LG  GX.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If you’re using a standard ARC port (no eARC) - you’re getting “lossy” atmos through Dolby Digital Plus

From Sonos website:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

“Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.”

There is no such thing as TrueHD over a streaming service or device (e.g. Apple TV).  So he’s definitely getting DD+ Atmos.  You can only get TrueHD via a 4K Blu-ray player with an eARC connection.  Note however, that Apple TV requires an eARC connection to get Dolby Atmos at all (it will not pass DD+ Atmos via ARC).  Apple has imposed that requirement.  

If you’re using a standard ARC port (no eARC) - you’re getting “lossy” atmos through Dolby Digital Plus

From Sonos website:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

“Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Looks like this thread is over other tvs too as I did read the entire thing.