Question

Intermittent Atmos - Samsung Q90R

Badge

Set up the Arc on Friday. Played Atmos on both Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Saturday morning the Atmos had switched to 5.1. I’m in the UK and thought perhaps it was due to lower bit rates due to Covid-19. Saturday night Atmos was back. Sunday and today, just getting 5.1.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues or perhaps has an idea why this might be happening? Very frustrating.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@John76, eARC is not an absolute requirement for Atmos. Atmos can be carried on a normal ARC connection using DD+. there are definitely issues with older ARC-equipped TVs not being able to pass through the DD+/Atmos stream though - my 2014 Vizio P series was able to pass DD+ but not DD+ w/ Atmos so it was upgraded to an LG C9. there are multiple reports (like @eugeneclh here and @Geoffa30 original post) of newer ARC-equipped sets working with Atmos to the Arc.

@Geoffa30, sorry i can’t add direct experience for your Q90R but have found my best overall experience when all of the HDMI related settings are set to Auto and Bitstream where possible so the apps and, if you have them, external inputs can detect the capabilities when each powers up or is activated. Currently, the Arc doesn’t support LPCM so Bitstream is necessary.

I have a Samsung Q90R - it passes through Dolby Atmos through DD+ . Netflix and Prime should give you Atmos

I don’t believe that, the Q90R does not support eARC.

This chart is helpful:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

As people have been trying to tell you, Atmos can be carried via TrueHD/MAT/LPCM (requires eARC) or via Dolby DIgital+ (requires ARC or above).  You can most certainly can get Atmos over ARC via DD+.  Matter of fact, most streaming sites only offer Atmos via DD+.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@John76 , I have a 2019 Samsung Q60R, no eARC. But I can use the internal Netflix and Amazon apps to get Atmos on the Sonos Arc. The “about my system” shows Dolby Atmos (DD+), it is lossy Atmos though.

@Geoffa30 , I get Season 1 of Jack Ryan in Atmos from Prime. But for season 2 , Carnival Row and the other one content that are supposed to have Atmos, I can only get 5.1. Don’t understand why.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Bdubs, I am on the same FW but I get DD+ and Atmos. Q60R

Badge

Factory reset of the TV solved the problem. Now getting ATMOS on native TV apps Netflix and Prime!

Badge

Factory reset of the TV solved the problem. Now getting ATMOS on native TV apps Netflix and Prime!

Thinking about it, we did a factory reset last week too because of the Atmos being intermittent. Glad you’ve got it sorted.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

My mistake, good to hear certain TVs can pass compressed Dolby Atmos using ARC.

I have a Samsung Q90R - it passes through Dolby Atmos through DD+ . Netflix and Prime should give you Atmos

Badge

Seems we were having internet issues at the weekend. Finally sorted last night. Now both Netflix and Amazon native apps on our Q90R are showing Atmos. 

Badge

@John76 , I have a 2019 Samsung Q60R, no eARC. But I can use the internal Netflix and Amazon apps to get Atmos on the Sonos Arc. The “about my system” shows Dolby Atmos (DD+), it is lossy Atmos though.

@Geoffa30 , I get Season 1 of Jack Ryan in Atmos from Prime. But for season 2 , Carnival Row and the other one content that are supposed to have Atmos, I can only get 5.1. Don’t understand why.

Thank you so much for the reply….i was able to get Dolby Digital Plus from Amazon on my Samsung TV 

Badge

You might want to compare the firmware versions of the TV that works, and the TV that does not.

We’re on version 1356.

Badge

I can’t get ATMOS on my Q90R, Dolby digital plus option is grayed out in settings.  Is the ARC HDMI connected to the one connect box or straight to the tv?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Bdubs, have you tried changing the setting when the Prime app is on screen?

I have a Q60R so I don’t have the One connect box. 

Badge

Yes, I’ve tried changing the setting while watching Netflix and Amazon. 

Badge

I’m on version 1356.2 and not getting Dolby Digital plus or Atmos.  Contacted Samsung support and they sent me a link to the manual to troubleshoot. Sheesh. Thanks Samsung.  I read on one of the forums that the 1356 FW update broke Dolby.

Badge

Curious...are you using the TV apps and how did you know you were getting Atmos? 

Thanks. 

Badge

Arc is connected to HDMI 3 of the One Connect. Selected DD+ when connected to Netflix. Also have the Atmos option ticked in sound settings on the TV.

Badge

geoffa30, Apart from Jack Ryan Season 1, what other contents in Prime are you getting Atmos from?

I also have Season 2 showing as Atmos. Cannot find anything else but it seems there aren’t many Atmos titles on Prime.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I also have Season 2 showing as Atmos. Cannot find anything else but it seems there aren’t many Atmos titles on Prime.

try searching for “Atmos” on both prime and netflix to get a list.

Badge

Curious...are you using the TV apps and how did you know you were getting Atmos? 

Thanks. 

Yes was using inbuilt apps. Netflix said Atmos on the screen on the title page of the show. Also said Atmos in the Sonos app on my iPad.

Badge

Sweet...let me try this on my Q80, I tried it though the Apple TV but only saw Dolby Digital 5.1. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I don’t see how the Samsung Q90R can pass Dolby Atmos as it doesn’t support HDMI 2.1, eARC.  You will only get Dolby Digital 5.1 with that TV.

Badge

I don’t see how the Samsung Q90R can pass Dolby Atmos as it doesn’t support HDMI 2.1, eARC.  You will only get Dolby Digital 5.1 with that TV.

I think you are right….but shouldn’t it also get Dolby Digital +? I think I read somewhere that it is capable of that 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

No, the best you’ll get is Dolby Digital 5.1 which dates back to DVD technology.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just setup Sonos Arc with Apple TV 4K and Samsung Q7D 85” w/ ARC.  Native Netflix and Prime apps from Samsung hub display Dolby Atmos through DD+.  My Sonos app also displays Dolby Atmos.

When streaming through Apple TV, I only get DD 5.1.  Wish apple would come up w/ an update.

If there is a streaming device that has 2 HDMI outputs, one w/ eARC out and 1 regular HDMI output, can  the eARC connect to Sonos Arc and the other HDMI connect to the TV to get lossless Atmos TrueHD?  Will something like this ever work to take advantage of Sonos Arc to output full Dolby Atmos?