HD Fury is working on an eARC solution for Sonos Arc - Full Audio & Atmos from any HDMI sources

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

From Sonos reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/h7z9gv/hd_fury_is_working_on_an_earc_solution_for_sonos/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

160 replies

Edit - Turns out it was the new HDMI cable I bought which claimed to be Arc compatible. I switched the set up in the room so I use the Sonos provided cable to run into the arc and this made the difference. The Arcana does indeed work. Need to test some modern films now for atmos effect... 

The HDFury Arcana is not working for me with the Sonos Arc.

I have an optoma HD142x projector with a PS4 for a blu ray player. I rigged everything together with the correct wiring going to the right ports etc, with a new HDMI cable which supports Dolby Atmos. But it doesn’t work.

I contacted the HDFury support email but got nothing back. I tried they’re chat room support and was very briefly told that you can’t set up the Arc without having a “CEC” supported TV install it all first. I didn’t get any more explanation than that. Well I don’t have a CEC TV or any TV. None of my friends have a modern TV in their house either.

So is my only option to buy a TV to set the Arc up? What happens then? Can I simply switch everything to back to the projector set up and from then on the Arc will eternally work without a TV? What happens if the Arc system resets? Do I need to have a TV too on standby?

I’m not considering buying a TV on top of the 1200 EUR or so I’ve spent on the Arc, Arcana, wall mount and cable. So it looks as though I have to send everything back.

If anyone has a fix for me I would be most grateful to hear it. But I thought I better post this because surely there must be a lot of potential disappointed buyers out there with a projector setup who should know that you need a modern CEC TV to set all this up.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might have any answers to the questions above :)

Hi everybody;

Looking for some help and advices.

Setup:

Sonos ARC + Sub + 2 Ones

Epson LS100 Projector

Chromecast

PC

What is the best setup to get my Sonos system giving its best output and Dolby Atmos from my sources while projecting on the Epson projector.

I’m a bit unexperienced in the A/V and would like to setup a home theater.

Thanks everyone.

Assuming your projector doesn’t have ARC or eARC capabilities, then you will need to get an Arcana.  Follow the link(s) in this thread to the HD Fury site, and take look at the Getting started tab for the Arcana.  Lots of good diagrams for how you would want to set this up with a projector.

Hello everyone ,

Not been on here for a good while , i have ordered the Sonos Arc to replace my Playbar in my 5.1 set up .

Set up is or will be Sonos Arc with sub and 2 play 1s rears , Samsung JS9000 with one connect box , Sky Q , Xbox one s , Amazon Fire TV 4k .

I am thinking i will need the HD Fury Arcana ? for the best sound as i only have HDMI ARC , any help appreciated .

You don’t need Arcana to get Atmos from your streaming sources, however if you have Dolby True HD w/atmos bluray discs you want to play through the xbox one s, then you will need Arcana.  You would likely want to get an HDMI switch as well to keep things simple.

Badge +1

Hello everyone ,

Not been on here for a good while , i have ordered the Sonos Arc to replace my Playbar in my 5.1 set up .

Set up is or will be Sonos Arc with sub and 2 play 1s rears , Samsung JS9000 with one connect box , Sky Q , Xbox one s , Amazon Fire TV 4k .

I am thinking i will need the HD Fury Arcana ? for the best sound as i only have HDMI ARC , any help appreciated .

Hi everybody;

Looking for some help and advices.

Setup:

Sonos ARC + Sub + 2 Ones

Epson LS100 Projector

Chromecast

PC

What is the best setup to get my Sonos system giving its best output and Dolby Atmos from my sources while projecting on the Epson projector.

I’m a bit unexperienced in the A/V and would like to setup a home theater.

Thanks everyone.

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a similar set-up to @markcdodd. I’m also in the UK anbd my set-up is as follows:

• Sonos Arc + 2 Sonos One SL’s as rears
  • 2017 Sony KD-XE9005 TV which has DD+ (which is passed to the Arc when playing native apps from the TV like Netflix in UHD with DD+, but obviously no Atmos as the TV only has an HDMI Arc, not eArc)

An ARC connection actually is capable of passing an Atmos signal, as Atmos channels can be in the DD+ codec.  In fact, if your using a streaming source, the only way you’re going to get Atmos is through DD+.  If you’re watching from a disc or downloaded source, then you can get lossless TrueHD w/atmos, and that requires an eARC connection.

• Apple 4kTV latest generation
  • Virgin V6 box
  • Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player
  • All external sources connected to TV via 2.0 HDMI cables, and I can’t get more than DD 5.1 through any of these sources as I don’t believe the TV is capable of DD+ pass through

So, would the HD Fury Arcana with suitable HDMI switch (can anyone recommend a good one?) work for me to get true Dolby Atmos through all external sources? (& even the TV?)

Thanks

Paul

Yes, Arcana should work for you.  Personally, I would not really try and use your TVs internal apps, as I believe there have been a few issues here and there.  Since you have an ATV, I doubt there’s any streaming services you can’t get there that you can through your TVs apps.  Even if does work without issue, I doubt it will be more user friendly than the ATV.

As for what switcher to get, there a ton of good ones out there.  Probably the most important thing is that you make sure that the video specs match or beat what you’re TV is capable of.  You don’t want a switch that can only handle 1080p if your TV is 4K, for example.  Similar on the audio side of things.  To be future proof, not a bad idea to look for switches that are 18Gbps, even if you may not need it right now, and these don’t seem to cost much more.

Below is an example, but certainly not the only option.

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-True-Switch-Switcher-18Gbps/dp/B07M7DC4VN/

That’s great, thanks very much Danny!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a similar set-up to @markcdodd. I’m also in the UK anbd my set-up is as follows:

• 2017 Sony KD-XE9005 TV which has DD+ (which is passed to the Arc when playing native apps from the TV like Netflix in UHD with DD+, but obviously no Atmos as the TV only has an HDMI Arc, not eArc)
  • Virgin V6 box
  • All external sources connected to TV via 2.0 HDMI cables, and I can’t get more than DD 5.1 through any of these sources as I don’t believe the TV is capable of DD+ pass through

So, would the HD Fury Arcana with suitable HDMI switch (can anyone recommend a good one?) work for me to get true Dolby Atmos through all external sources? (& even the TV?)

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

In my situation Sony confirmed that while my TV could pass through DD+ it couldn’t downgrade Dolby Atmos to DD+ so I wouldn’t be able to get Atmos by going through the TV.  

I took the plunge and decided to order the HD Fury Arcana which arrived recently.  

It worked pretty much straight out the box, but for now I’ve kept things simple by just hooking it up to my Xbox One S (bypassing the TV) and playing Atmos content straight to the Arc from apps on the Xbox (Netflix, Amazon and UHD Blurays).  

I may look at a switch later to incorporate the other devices, but for now I’m just happy to be enjoying Atmos through the Xbox.

Mark

Hi

An ARC connection actually is capable of passing an Atmos signal, as Atmos channels can be in the DD+ codec.  In fact, if your using a streaming source, the only way you’re going to get Atmos is through DD+.  If you’re watching from a disc or downloaded source, then you can get lossless TrueHD w/atmos, and that requires an eARC connection.

• Virgin V6 box

Thanks

Paul

Yes, Arcana should work for you.  Personally, I would not really try and use your TVs internal apps, as I believe there have been a few issues here and there.  Since you have an ATV, I doubt there’s any streaming services you can’t get there that you can through your TVs apps.  Even if does work without issue, I doubt it will be more user friendly than the ATV.

As for what switcher to get, there a ton of good ones out there.  Probably the most important thing is that you make sure that the video specs match or beat what you’re TV is capable of.  You don’t want a switch that can only handle 1080p if your TV is 4K, for example.  Similar on the audio side of things.  To be future proof, not a bad idea to look for switches that are 18Gbps, even if you may not need it right now, and these don’t seem to cost much more.

Below is an example, but certainly not the only option.

https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-True-Switch-Switcher-18Gbps/dp/B07M7DC4VN/

Hi

I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a similar set-up to @markcdodd. I’m also in the UK anbd my set-up is as follows:

• Virgin V6 box

Thanks

Paul

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just wanted to say I have received my Arcana and have attached it to my Vertex two.

At first was not getting sound from the Tv but I switched to earc only and then it was ok.

Have now updated firmware to .71 without any issue

Watched Transformers  via the OPPO and got full fat Dolby Atmos -absolutely awesome!!

I have noticed that if I try a downloaded movie from a hdd via the OPPO the Sonos doesn't like it and seems to only play the background music and speech, all the main speech etc is missing even if it is 5.1. I didn't get this before. so will keep trying it out.It did happen once when watching Punisher on Netflix but it was ok after turning everything off and then back on. 

Has anyone else had this issue at all ?

Have to thank all the People at HD Fury for there help and advice also the superb bit of kit that will no doubt improve with time that has stopped me needing to buy a new TV. I am sure you are all shattered from all your hard work but it is very much appreciated by a lot of people.

Userlevel 1

just plugged my new hdfury arcana eArc adapter in to my Apple TV, projector, and Sonos Arc. Worked straight out of the box delivering 4k HDR to the screen and Dolby Atmos to the Sonos Arc. 

Amazing product. worth having regardless of your tv/projector set up just so you don’t have to mess around with settings.

Yes. This is for a projector setup in an outdoor pavilion. I have a 4x2 HDMI switch. I’m going to test both ways. 1st I’m going to try and go wirelessly to the ARC, because that would save a lot of hassle, but ultimately I think I'm going to have to go wirelessly to the projector and have the source and switch tucked away above the ARC. Not too much more hassle and it should work with no lipsync issues.

Honestly, since it doesn’t mention ARC, I would put money on the fact it doesn’t handle it at all. 

I’ll be interested in what you find out. There’s absolutely no mention of it handling ARC or eARC at all on their website. 

I’d be surprised if it works, and if it actually does, I’d be surprised if there isn’t significant lag, resulting in lip sync issues.

@packman69 I assume this is for a projector situation.  If this doesn’t work, then I would look into getting an HDMI splitter  near the source, with one HDMI output going to the PJ, and the other to your wireless transmitter.  Your transmitter than feeds the Arcana, which can feed Sonos Arc.  With this setup, you are sending normal HDMI wirelessly instead of an eARC signal.  I still think you’ll have lip sync issues though, and you’ll be limited in the audio codecs you can send.

I’ll be interested in what you find out. There’s absolutely no mention of it handling ARC or eARC at all on their website. 

I grabbed a REI WHD-100-K hdmi wireless sender and receiver. My hope is to wirelessly mimic an ARC port from the HD FURY through the REI transmitter to the receiver that’s connected to the SONOS Arc. 

I preordered the HD Fury eARC dongle. Should ship this week. I’ll report back if I get it to work. I’m also trying to get it to work wirelessly, so I’ll try hardwired first.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Jason

Wirelessly?  In what way do you mean that?  The device (which really isn’t a dongle, since 5 ports and requires it’s own power) doesn’t have any wireless capabilities.

I preordered the HD Fury eARC dongle. Should ship this week. I’ll report back if I get it to work. I’m also trying to get it to work wirelessly, so I’ll try hardwired first.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Jason

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Following up on the recent conversations and my idea, although I think it would work (and I will try it) I was looking at switches (what a minefield!) and I am sure you could find one that works but HD Fury were very precise on the need to match all input and outputs. so I convinced myself it would be better to match up so I have bought a Vertex 2 and with the excellent help of the team have set it up with my system and all is working well. There are so many things that you can do with it and being a novice I think it will take some time for me to learn. initial impression is very good and support from Fury has been superb. I have it set to give Dolby vision and full audio for all sources and you can make changes “on the fly” if you want. it seems a lot of people with projectors use them and they can configure it to get much better image.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Looking forward to it’s arrival!

Pre-order count broke 1000, so price is now $175.  Price won’t change again till 1500, or pre-order ends.  No official date for when preorder ends, other than ‘before October 1st’.  From what I’ve seen from watching HDFury, then much prefer to under promise and over deliver, so I imagine it will be a couple weeks sooner than that.

Should have mentioned this earlier, but they are only doing a 1000 devices in the first order batch, so purchases after this point will ship ‘before November 1st’.  They have also said that Arcana should start showing up in online retailers, like Amazon,  November 1st, but that will be at the after pre-order price of $199.

Not much in terms of new information to talk about regarding Arcana.  The current pre-order sales count is at 980, which means the price will jump from $165 to $175 when it reaches 1000 orders.

And although I don’t really have the best grasp of video processing, it looks like some of the features of Arcana can help improve picture quality as well.  Some of that is modifying the signal, and some of it seems to be more about properly communicating video capabilities between source and display.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I wanted to hear some experiences of how Arc has performed in terms of Atmos performance for streaming services which deliver Atmos through DD+. Is it considerable or is it hit or miss. How is the sound in comparison to when you play the same content on DD+. I have invested a lot in the Arc+Sub combo and on the fence for Arcana, would cost close to $300 in Canada. If the difference is considerable, for streaming services, I would cross that fence. If not, I would stay on the side of DD/DD+.

I had a Yamaha YSP2700 which i thought was great but does not do Atmos. i have a lot of Sonos gear and when i saw the ARC i had to try. I have no regrets what so ever (other than the money i have spent) if you like movies then you will love the ARC Dolby 5.1 sounds great, DD+ sounds even better so i would imagine full fat Atmos would be even more so. i find normal TV is also better if it is 5.1 when it is Dolby 2.0 some channels can be lower volume.

i have added a sub and play 1’s and i absolutely love it, i would watch movies every night if i could!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I wanted to hear some experiences of how Arc has performed in terms of Atmos performance for streaming services which deliver Atmos through DD+. Is it considerable or is it hit or miss. How is the sound in comparison to when you play the same content on DD+. I have invested a lot in the Arc+Sub combo and on the fence for Arcana, would cost close to $300 in Canada. If the difference is considerable, for streaming services, I would cross that fence. If not, I would stay on the side of DD/DD+.

It’s somewhat of a tough question to answer, as there are several factors involved.  Obviously, the source may not use the atmos format very much or very well, so you may not hear much.  You also need to consider the room and how well audio reflects off the ceiling.  From my opinion it is worth it, but I can’t completely say it’s not more of a placebo effect than anything else.  I can’t identify a particular sound and say it came from the ceiling, but it does sound better/fuller to me. :thinking:

Do you have rear speakers?  If not, I think I would go for that before getting the Arcana if I was in your position.  That will provide more for for you. I’d think about Arcana later on, or perhaps you opt for a TV upgrade.

Thanks, I do have the rear speakers and I am not sure if Atmos over DD+ with Arc would be significantly better than just DD+. As you mentioned I have a rectangular room with 9 ft ceilings and open kitchen on one side. I have no plans to change the TV.