Answered

Creating 5.1 with non-Sonos Subwoofer

• 25 December 2013
  • 66 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm so glad I read this thread!  I was about to spend A LOT of money buying into the Sonos Eco-system for my home, and use the AMP to connect my very capable Onkyo rear speakers and sub.  Now that I know Sonos prevents people from doing this, I'm going to skip the system entirely and go another way.  I wonder how many people out there didn't know this before buying (and are angry) or like me, aren't investing in it?

Frankly, I would still consider the Sonos system but $700 just for a sub is ridiculous (on top of $700 for a playbar).

I did exactly that, I got rid of my connect amp, play bar and a couple connect's and since I build AV automation systems for a living decided to integrate a creation adagio AMS, so I have 7.1 with all my own gear and then have 4 extra zones and plan to expand to another 8 in the future. I have both AMX Mio remotes as well as my iPad and iPad integrated into the system. There's options, but I definitely originally wanted to keep it simple going the only sonos route. I still have 3 sonos connect's, in addition to 4 am/fm/xm radio feeds on the crestron. If anyone is interested in going a custom route, I program AMX and crestron as well as custom embedded and realtime Linux, so we can make anything work. rrdbstudios@gmail.com
I'm so glad I read this thread!  I was about to spend A LOT of money buying into the Sonos Eco-system for my home, and use the AMP to connect my very capable Onkyo rear speakers and sub.  Now that I know Sonos prevents people from doing this, I'm going to skip the system entirely and go another way.  I wonder how many people out there didn't know this before buying (and are angry) or like me, aren't investing in it?

Frankly, I would still consider the Sonos system but $700 just for a sub is ridiculous (on top of $700 for a playbar).

Well then, you should definitely go buy the competing wireless surround sound system that allows use of an aftermarket sub and is fully integrated into a multi-room synchronized audio system controlled by your phone/tablet. Be sure to post here when you find it.

quick question....Does anyone have input on the Sound quality of the Playbar and the Sonos Sub?  how do they match up against mid to high end sound bars ?  I have 8 zones currently none of them have Sonos speakers...(not quite sold on Sonos as a bonified speaker company) all speakers are Polk audio in walls with 1 outdoor pair. (no complaints with the Polk speakers).. I was thinking about getting the Play bar to use with a Polk Audio 10 inch LSI sub  until i came across this forum. If we can't use a thrid party Sub then buy another comparable sound bar whatever sub you want and pick up a Sonos Connect to integrate the setup into your sonos mesh. Everything i've seen on the playbar and sub says fantastic wireless functionality but not too much on sound quality . Even read something about the volume being somewhat restricted.. your thoughts? 
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a similar setup using an external RCA switch box to select input to the subwoofer.  It works.  However, as Buzz says, I need to adjust the volume on the subwoofer manually when I switch between TV and music.  It's not convenient.
Has anyone tried this:  Use an optical audio splitter (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/27027) so one output could go to the Playbar and one output could then connect to an optical audio to analog RCA device (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28727) in order to connect your existing third party subwoofer?  You can get both of these devices for about $45.  A lot cheaper than buying a new subwoofer.
With this arrangement there would be no integrated volume control. One would need to separately adjust the subwoofer and PLAYBAR.
Has anyone tried this:  Use an optical audio splitter (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/27027) so one output could go to the Playbar and one output could then connect to an optical audio to analog RCA device (http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28727) in order to connect your existing third party subwoofer?  You can get both of these devices for about $45.  A lot cheaper than buying a new subwoofer.
I'm was interested to use Sonos ... until I read this thread.  I already have my own speakers + woofer so if this feature request was granted I would have bought the connect amp + playbar to get 5.1 surround.  Being able to expand to other rooms after that would have been nice.

Still: at least the competition is catching up fast.
Userlevel 2
Cuz they want you to buy their sub and their surrounds. Sonos is a closed system and I'd bet that they truly hate the idea of supporting the AMP as a workaround for surround sound. Even the way they've implemented the idea is weak. With hardly any effort at all they could have added a couple other features easily without even enabling the sub out. While I love the SONOS gear I've been rather disappointed overall that I've not achieved what I hoped. I'd sell it all and go wired but there's no after market that makes the loss of $$$ acceptable to me. SONOS has more or less ignored us on this sub out idea for over 2 yrs now. I don't imagine we'll ever see resolution on this piece. They are amazingly responsive to all kinds of other issue but this one. That says something.

SONOS does not owe us an option to use a cheaper sub. It's really poor business for them to do as it creates a host of new support issues with people buying crap subs and complaining about bad sound and so on. It also cannibalizes their own product line. For all of you that actually think it's good business for them to do this you're simply mistaken. It would be nice of them for sure and I would have really appreciated a big red warning label about the how the AMP really works rather than having to find it in the manual after my return period expired but proper support for 3rd party hardware of any sort is problematic for them.

That all said...would be nice if they did address us and tell us that they're not going to do this rather than leave us all hanging on hoping.

SONOS: I'd be totally cool if you proved me wrong 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge
why not allow a dedicated connect to provide sub signal for a powered sub

why not just firmware upgrade the connect amp like the op suggested that way you only need to buy 1 sonos device to control your rear speakers and subwoofer.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Interesting idea.  Cheaper than buying a Sub.  However, looks like the Connect doesn't have a sub channel out--not a showstopper of course, but yet another reason why Sonos should step up and offer us a solution.
why not allow a dedicated connect to provide sub signal for a powered sub
Userlevel 2
Hello Sonos? Any input on this discussion?
Sonos,  I just recently purchased the Playbar and like it a lot.  But I would like for you to give us a solution to allow the integration of a 3rd party SUB.  I already have a 12" Klipsch powered subwoofer that I would love to add on to the playbar.  Many of us already have a subwoofer that is either on par or better that the Sonos sub and do not want to folk out an additional $700 for a new one.  Do your fan base a favor and get us a solution for this problem.

Thanks  Scott
Is it not possible to just use a single CONNECT?
Group this with the playbar and connect left RCA to the subwoofer?
Or is it not possible to group a CONNECT together with the Playbar?

If not possible, this should not be a problem solving in software.
Then you could even send the correct subwoofer signal from the 5.1 signal.
Any low pass filter would be adjusted in the 3. party active subwoofer
Userlevel 2
totally agreed - I'm in the same boat as Lars - this is preventing me from buying a playbar
Userlevel 2
nothin yet Sonos? How about an update? acknowledge that we're even here?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos recently added the ability to keep the AMP as the rear channel, but when playing normal music, it switches to either a full mode or ambient mode, the subwoofer output is STILL disabled despite being used in essentially a separate zone. I had to make my own program to go into the webpage and disable the amp as a rear channel, and configure as a group; and then when the input is selected back to TV, I have to re-setup in the webpage as the surrounds.

This is stupid, why is the subwoofer output STILL disabled when switching to full in the music playback section.

This should be trivial and I don't understand why the ball continues to be dropped!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Any news on this?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Keep this thread alive, this would be an excellent new feature and really help those with their own highend subwoofers for a 5.1 system.

Another Idea would be to allow a connect amp to be used as the other channels from front left/right and center.
I strongly encourage Sonos to release a firmware/software solution, that brings the SUB back online when used as a add-on for surround sound. Most Sonos users probably as I started of with the connect AMP and a high end relative expensive stereo/SUB setup from a previous setup. So the connect amp was the add-on not to give up the high end setup for everyday music listening. Now having to switch between 4.0 and connect amp regular function is already too annoying for movie watching, and furthermore this only gives a descent surround setup, because you lose the SUB in  surround mode. It is ridiculous, and this have to be improved sooner than later. 
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the option, but a work around is not sufficient for the amount of money paid for these devices; this hound be a firmware or software fix.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a workaround using a switch box that seems to work.  It's not elegant, but here it is:
1.  Subwoofer cable from AMP to left line on switch box
2.  Dual RCA cable from line out on TV to switch box
3.  Dual RCA from switch box to 3rd party subwoofer

And of course, I need to select the input on the box manually for music or TV. 

The relative signal strengths from the TV and Connect AMP seem to be different.  So still experimenting to resolve.  I'm still new to Sonos.  So, I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to address this.  
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would very much like the ability to use my 3rd party sub from the sub out of the connect amp from the rear channels.

I finally jumped at getting a playbar and am now very disappointed and debating returning it. I want to use my connect amps sub out from the surround channel, as well as be able to listen to music out of all speakers without having to remove the connect amp from 5.1

I hope to see this change, or my playbar is going back.

I have a workaround using a switch box that seems to work.  It's not elegant, but here it is:
1.  Subwoofer cable from AMP to left line on switch box
2.  Dual RCA cable from line out on TV to switch box
3.  Dual RCA from switch box to 3rd party subwoofer

And of course, I need to select the input on the box manually for music or TV. 

The relative signal strengths from the TV and Connect AMP seem to be different.  So still experimenting to resolve.  I'm still new to Sonos.  So, any suggestions on how to address this would appreciated it.  
Userlevel 2
I would very much like the ability to use my 3rd party sub from the sub out of the connect amp from the rear channels.

I finally jumped at getting a playbar and am now very disappointed and debating returning it. I want to use my connect amps sub out from the surround channel, as well as be able to listen to music out of all speakers without having to remove the connect amp from 5.1

I hope to see this change, or my playbar is going back.

yep - I'd have returned all my Sonos gear at this point but I didn't add the third party sub until it was too late. it is in the documentation that this won't work bit with all the demand out there they certainly should put this on the map to fix with an AMP firmware update. The don't appear to care at this point.