Control all grouped Sonos using TV remote control (via Playbar)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

137 replies

Having the same issue. Because of this, I only use the surround system when I'm watching something important. A waste of two Sono's Ones most of the time. There should be a way to connect them all to the volume of the Play Bar that is controlled with a TV remote.You could 'unbond' the surrounds and then 'group' them with the PlayBar as a stereo pair and use the TV Dialog Lip-Sync slider bar in Room Settings... that will often work fine for standard TV PCM 2 channel audio output. It works for me with my Sonos setup, albeit I use a Sonos Beam and an additional stereo pair of speakers, rather than 'unbonding' the surrounds from my HT system. Hope it works for you and provides you with TV stereo audio from ALL your speakers.?
Having the same issue. Because of this, I only use the surround system when I'm watching something important. A waste of two Sono's Ones most of the time. There should be a way to connect them all to the volume of the Play Bar that is controlled with a TV remote.
I have raised this as an ADA issue for years (at least 3) and still no movement. For persons hard of hearing I typically install play1 by the sitting area and group the Playbar and play1. But they can only control the volume from their phone not the TV remote. It is very frustrating after spending a good chunk of money on a system. Very disappointed in Sonos slow movement on this issue.

What's worse is that it does seem as if it could be resolved through software. It seems almost everytime I login to the app there is an update but not for this.
Userlevel 1
100% this should be added as a feature.
The ability to control a group with the tv remote is a must for those users that cannot instead use a surround setup. In my case, my cable provider doesn’t offer channels with surround, so I have to use my Sonos speakers in stereo setup.

Been waiting for this feature for 2 Years+. I’m afraid to say that if it doesn’t make its way into a future update, I’ll be switching to another sound system. And I know I won’t be the only one....
Userlevel 1
+2 for this (my wife and I). I want to hear the tv in the kitchen without cranking up my playbar, so I added play ones. I would have Set them up as surrounds, but that removes most dialog and other audio that normally comes from the front. My only option was to create them as a second room and group them. I really really really want my tv remote to treat them as one system.
Is there a possible third-party work around to this problem if Sonos won’t address it? I group a beam with two play 1s so my tv audio is on bed nightstands as well as under tv which is across the room. Setting play 1s as surrounds off the beam doesn’t give me full tv audio on the nightstands (Play 1s) as I would like to have.

If Sonos is allowing me to group tv audio from beam with play 1s why would the ability to use the tv remote for volume control suddenly go away?
Sonos needs to fix this. So im watching tv, my iphone rings (where my sonos app is), so now i need to answer it then tell the person on the phone to hang on, open the app, turn off group volume. For an all-in 1k$+ sound option, thats a silly outcome. And seems like a BASIC function that you wouldn’t need to ask. Just have it control all speakers that are in the current Groupiing. Others arent affected .This is a simple software update.
Just added a Beam to my system. Disapointed that remote does not control group - only beam. Not useful at all. I was so certain that it would work like that so i didn't ask. very unfortunate.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes - please implenent this feature!
Userlevel 1
It would be great to control the volume for the total group with the TV remote. I have installed a Sonos Beam and I group this with two PLAY:5's + Subwoofer. Indeed only the volume of the Beam can be controlled which is not what I expected to happen. Normally there is always one group volume which you can control by the app or Sonos CR200. You have to do additional steps to control a singe speaker. I do not see why the interface is different when using the TV-remote. Also in this case I would expect that it controls the group volume. So, SONOS, please provide a solution.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
As mentioned above there is a difference between grouping actually joining the speakers in a 5.1 setup or even the stereo setup of two Ones or Threes together. I have often wanted to "permanently" join two or three speakers together in a similar fashion. Basically making them one room. When I use these speakers 99% of the time there are all included in the group, so combining them would be very convenient. Most of my listening is with my Playbar/Sub, Kitchen Play3 , and 3 Connect Amps for outside. If i could combine the 3 Connect Amps into "Outdoor" it would be very helpful. My Maser Bath has two Ones, but they are joined in stereo so i have only one room for them, it would be a pain if I didn't have then in stereo and I has to pick both L and R for music there.
I guess if we could join speakers to rooms, it would help implement the volume feature for people wanting for example to "join" their PlayBar/Base and a Play 5.
With close to 20 speakers, the ability join a few into rooms would be a nice feature. I guess a join room function instead of the normal group function. I have little hope Sonos ever implements, but I guy can dream right? LOL
I'm afraid you have your terms mixed up. The volume works fine for 5.1 when the system is configured as 5.1. Grouping is something completely different from 5.1.
Appreciate that the feature set needs to be limited for ease of use and to reflect those that are most popular with the Sonos userbase, but... It’s completely misleading to sell a system that claims to be 5:1 surround sound when the TV volume control only works on three of the five speakers. A simple on-off toggle for a ‘control group volume’ option would keep all happy, would not confuse even low-tech users and would make Sonos a viable 5:1 system. Poor form from a company that otherwise seems to be focused on delivering great products.
Airgetlam,

I’m with you on this matter... if you group two sets of speakers, such as the 'dining room' and 'hallway' and press the hardware volume controls on the actual speakers, they have only ever adjusted the volume for the one chosen room only... it has always been that way. It therefore should work the same for the TV remote operating on the Sonos PlayBar and PlayBase. It would be odd to make an exception for those particular products.

The group volume control is available in the Sonos App and that’s really where it needs to stay.

I should add that even the voice integration with Alexa, only controls the volume in a single Sonos room too even when that room is grouped with others.

There would probably have to be an extraordinary public demand to now get Sonos to change things over to always operate volume controls on an entire group ... then I’m sure there would then be a backlash from those who prefer to control each individual room in a group.

Leave things exactly as they are, would be my preference.
Just tried looking for the same capability. Sad that it's not possible yet.
If I may, I'd like to add an opposing view. I do not want my system to reduce the volume on grouped rooms. That would drive me crazy!
I have the same issue and this is very frustrating! If speakers are grouped they should all adjust volume using the TV remote. Please provide a solution!!
This would be very useful. Have 2 Play 5s grouped with my playbar in the main room and my wife loses her mind that she can only turn the playbar down. I then have to constantly group and ungroup between the stereo paired play 5s and the playbar when I want to listen to music vs. watch tv and it is very annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I would find this feature very useful as well (remote to set Group volume when Playbar is in use).
Same request. I have PLAYbase, two play 5 and Apple TV. Play 5 are next to tv (I don’t have another place to put it) if PLAYbase have them as surround, it sounds not so perfect as I would set it as a group. Then I have a problem to control sound volume from my remote. Would be great to have a volume group lock in app. That would be very useful!
My wife find this very frustrating also! I notice that no one has replied in the last 5 months. Has Sonos worked on correcting this problem?
I agree with many comments that you should be able to control volume of all speakers grouped to main soundbar room. I set up 2 Play ones as rear speakers for system (not surrounds ). So when I listen to TV they provide some rear sound but if I mute soundbar form remote it does not mute or change volume of other room Play ones even though they are "grouped" to main room?
No argument here 🙂
Userlevel 1
Airgetlam,

I completely respect that. I'll modify my request a bit by adding that this would be a feature that keeps my wife happy. When she picks up the remote and lowers the volume, having the playbar volume lowered but not the other grouped speakers is frustrating. When you drop cash on a playbar, sub, and two play 5's only for the grouped speakers not to work with the volume remote, its not fun to explain to someone who knows how much money was spent but can't understand why the function isn't available. Seems to be a rather basic function for the cost versus another add-on feature that confuses users with more options.
jbradbrown,

I think that all suggestions are worth looking in to for implementation. My only concern in general is at some point with making everything an option is you end up with an interface that is too confusing. If they implement even half of the suggestions here, there would be 20 pages of optional settings (OK, perhaps I'm exaggerating for effect), which would confuse the majority of their users, and make life complex for those who actually "get" the process. Without passing judgement on this specific request, I know that I've worked with many UI designers who have told me "no, that's too many options for any one person to process", and limited the amount of things I've been allowed to have in a game settings UI. It's just a fact of psychology that we as humans can only deal with a certain amount of complexity before losing the ability to understand all that is in front of us.

Sorry for pontificating.