Control all grouped Sonos using TV remote control (via Playbar)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

137 replies

Badge

Making the surround setup able to play stereo will resolve all issues for sure. 

Wondering why sonos have a user forum but not even 1 reply on their part , 6 years worth of over 100 posts in this thread. 

WAKE UP SONOS 

This is absolutely ridiculous, either allow TV to control group volume or allow full stereo on surrounds as an option. Also for you Soni’s kings, stop being so patronising, people WANT rear speakers to be used when watching TV normally, also they want group control to be used IF THEY WANT IT when using a remote control. To sit there TELLING them they are wrong and they need to use it differently is ridiculous and unfair. Is it really really an issue to give an army of users a tick box option???? 

There are a few different questions/issues discussed in this thread here.  The main topic is controlling a group via the TVs IR remote, and yes some people are bringing out that it may not make as much sense in reality as it does in theory.  Indeed, Sonos could have developed this and found through inhouse or beta testing that it was deemed rather confusing and maybe not so useful...even if it make sense in theory.   I don’t care whether this happens or not, I just don’t think it will be as lovely as some imagine it will be.

One of the other topics that intermingled in here is what Sonos defines as a home theatre room.  People are asking to throw an extra play:5, for example, in the physical room and have it be bonded to the speakers that make up the Sonos home threatre.  Some of the comments are about informing people what the actual issue is, and how bonding and grouping are different things technically. If this is what’s referred to as ‘telling people they are wrong’, then well, there are wrong in terms of understanding the situation.  They might not like hearing they are wrong, but it makes no sense to think there

The last topic seems to be the desire to have the rear speakers play the front left and right audio channels, and I personally would be in favor of this. It seems like a toggle between ‘always playing stereo, play stereo when no surround audio channels are present, and never play stereo on the rears for TV audio would meet everyone’s needs.   I’m not sure what the downside would be.

Badge

Will test the tv remote part and et you know here

Controlling the volume for sonus when tv is turned off is less important for me as if I air play or Spotify play I use my phone not the TV remote. 

Allowing full stereo on surround I know it can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d be pleasantly surprised if Bose could do the things asked for above:

• control group volume with the TV remote;
  • control volume for Sonos when the TV is turned off;
  • allowing full stereo on surrounds.

Can you please provide a link to a Bose system that can do this?

Badge

Controlling group via Hdmi CEC or IR is also a crucial add on for me. Arguments about the need of it is wate if time  as many posts from customers request it. I'm returning my $1800 speakers to best buy just because of it. Going with the bose

Indeed it is. I’ll also says there is no way this option isn’t already built and probably in test app environments. It’s probably even had UAT and sat stagnant already built. It’s baffling that it isn’t an option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I realise the things you mention are nice to have, for some. I also understand that some things are hard to program, given Sonos’ choices earlier: surrounds are commanded very differently form stand alone speakers, Trueplay is different for each set up. Commanding speakers with a remote connected to a TV that is turned off, will be difficult.

Just because you want something, Sonos is not obliged to give it to you. I want an end to the 65k limit and SMBv3 for my Sonos. In the end it’s Sonos who decides where to put their development time, so if you do not like that, looking for another supplier is the perfect option.

This is absolutely ridiculous, either allow TV to control group volume or allow full stereo on surrounds as an option. Also for you Soni’s kings, stop being so patronising, people WANT rear speakers to be used when watching TV normally, also they want group control to be used IF THEY WANT IT when using a remote control. To sit there TELLING them they are wrong and they need to use it differently is ridiculous and unfair. Is it really really an issue to give an army of users a tick box option???? 

think I’ll sell my beam and 1’s simply because of this. Sounds quite extreme doesn’t it? No more extreme than this ignorance 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There is a remote for the system - it’s your phone. And the remote with HDMI-CEC and (e)ARC is even more a part of your TV than it used to be in PlayBar times. With HDMI-CEEC the remote will only command the system (via Bluetooth and HDMI) when the TV is on instead of commanding the Arc directly via ir (as it would have been on a PlayBar). This limitation seems to be technical in nature (even more so now than in the past) and so to me is not unreasonable.

I can understand people wanting this feature, though I do not understand why when the TV is off a phone would not do as a remote.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I still think this is an unreasonable limitation! I'm going to return my Sonos kit if i can't figure out a workaround 

I think you’re going to become Sonos kitless, @kiteless  I’m sure someone would have posted it if they’d come up with a practical workaround. 

Thanks @106rallye. I understand how the app currently limits the types of speakers you can use in a "bonded group" now.

I still think this is an unreasonable limitation! I'm going to return my Sonos kit if i can't figure out a workaround - For  $1500 I expect basic functionality like "turn all my speakers in the same room up and down with a remote", regardless of how Sonos has chosen to implement their configuration hierarchy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A surround set on Sonos is formed using two surround speakers. A Five, even when set to stereo, counts as one speaker, so has to be set up to a room by itself. So if you want volume control on all speakers in the same physical room via your TV remote you need another Five or change the Five for two One SL’s. I’m not sure the Arc would respond to the remote when you are not using the tv though (as it needs to be commanded by HDMI-CEC).

Can we get an update on this?

I just bought a new Sonos Arc and Five for my living room. I fully expected to be able to add them to a room and adjust the volume using my TV remote (or if not, that a remote of some kind would be included to do the same).

As it stands whenever I turn down the TV volume, I have to unlock my phone, go to groups, and manually reduce the volume on my Five. It’s infuriating.

It seems like the only thing blocking this from working is considering the Five as a surround speaker -- You can add surrounds to an Arc, but it doesn’t find my Five, so I’m assuming it’s expecting a Pair, even though the Five can play in stereo?

I’m dumping this stuff back at Best Buy if Sonos can’t sort this out.

If a Beam is playing audio from a connected TV, all the grouped speakers are playing the the same TV audio. There are many situations where you might want to do this, it isn’t an isolated case. I run into this problem daily and my friends with Sonos share the same frustration. Muting all speakers from the TV remote control simply makes sense.

+1 vote for adding this feature. 

It's the usefulness of controlling the group volume that I question. I don't doubt that some users would see it as worth having. But I would suggest that it is a small gain for a small subset of users.

So it would come as no surprise to me if this were a long way from tbe top of Sonos' priority list.  Even if it were fairly simple,  which I doubt.

Technically feasible on the -- now apparently discontinued -- iPort xPress keypad. It’s simply configured to adjust the entire group volume.

I would bet the iPort was send commands to both rooms through.  It wasn’t a case of a Sonos room telling another Sonos room to change it’s volume level.

I dare say, though it’s not necessary to preconfigure the keypad with the group. It must learn the group members on the fly.

Certainly not something an IR remote can do.

The iPort xPress keypad is a WiFi remote. I’m using the IKEA Tradri remote which also works over WiFi - and yes, these remotes are able to control the volume of Sonos groups. Technically, the Sonos app is also a WiFi remote.

Technically feasible on the -- now apparently discontinued -- iPort xPress keypad. It’s simply configured to adjust the entire group volume.

I would bet the iPort was send commands to both rooms through.  It wasn’t a case of a Sonos room telling another Sonos room to change it’s volume level.

I dare say, though it’s not necessary to preconfigure the keypad with the group. It must learn the group members on the fly.

I would bet the iPort was send commands to both rooms, via WiFi, through.  It wasn’t a case of a Sonos room telling another Sonos room to change it’s volume level.  I would guess that’s the issue with an IR remote.  It can communicate with Sonos devices with IR sensors only.

set the soundbar as group master => once volume changed via remote => soundbar communicate via wifi new volume level to allgroup devices      

Technically not feasible. A similar engineering challenge is the popular request “Pairing one SUB to two rooms”.

set the soundbar as group master => once volume changed via remote => soundbar communicate via wifi new volume level to allgroup devices      

was referring to the the group volume , so one remote button is enough :-)

There’s is no IR receiver built into ONE/ONE SL, Five, Play:5 gen. 2, Play:3, Play:1 which is the basic requirement to control a device via IR remote.

was referring to the the group volume , so one remote button is enough :-)

The sonos app provide a way to control the group audio volume, why not from a remote control connected to the soundbar ? 

Maybe because a TV remote only has one volume button?