Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Please add me to this list.

Beam and two Ones as surrounds with a Sub, and music system in the room next to it, where the Sub is on the shared wall and there are two arches between the rooms, not even a door separating them. Would be so ideal to share the sub seamlessly. 

Please add me to the list too.

I have an open space with both a TV and a turntable setup. In terms of the room’s layout it makes no sense to connect the two setups. However the TV’s Arc could easily share a sub with a separate Amp and speakers connected to the turntables.  Two subs is out of the question. If I can’t connect the sub to both setups, there are better and cheaper options.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Please add me to the list too. Have 2 x play 5’s a sub and beam in the same physical space.

Ross.

Please add me to the list too, have two One (+ Sub) for music left and right of the tv. I am going to buy a beam for my new tv and i would love to pair the sub to the beam and the stereo pair of One‘s. Re-grouping is not an Option as trueplay is essential in my room.

Please add me to the list too, have two Play:5 (gen 2) in open plan room for music and Arc + 2x One for movies. Have a Sub on the way that I would like to use between the two!

Userlevel 2

Please add me too to the list of people requesting this functionality: living room with 2 Play 5 (gen 2), one  Sub (gen 2) l. Planning to buy a Beam that I would love to group to the Sub (and continue group the Sub to the 2 x Play 5)

thank you Sonos!

a

+1 please add me to this as well - open floor plan and do my music and home theater watching separately but don’t want to buy a sep sub for each set up. Looking to upgrade my Gen 1 Play:5s in this space.

I cannot see me ‘physically’ moving the sub about my home (well not on a frequent basis, at least) so in my case I’ve attached the Sub to my Sonos HT and then I just group that room with the other Sonos Room (which is in the same physical room) whenever I’m playing music. I can live with that group setup and there is no need either, to keep TruePlay tuning the two rooms.

To get the requested setup being mentioned in this thread, it would need a feature that mutes all speakers in my HT setup (except for the sub itself ) I guess, but I’m quite happy to leave them all playing for now. There’s no point having the sub in one physical room and the speakers playing in a separate room, so grouping rooms will do for me.

On a slightly separate, yet maybe related topic, ...I would like to see a ‘balance-slider’ in the EQ of a HT room settings, as sometimes other people can take up the chosen ‘sweet spot’ when visiting our home and it would be ‘nice to have’ that option to adjust the audio left, or right, a little rather than having to retune (TruePlay) the HT room again. I think a balance slider could also provide more customisation to ‘perhaps’ assist when grouping rooms for their combined audio output, as mentioned above, where the grouped-room speakers include a HT setup and are all in the same physical room.  

Please add my name for users requesting Sub to be supported for Multiple Zones 

I want to be able to use

Sub + Arc for TV

Sub + AMP with ceiling speakers for Music 

These are all in open plan Living and Kitchen area 

+1 please add me to this.

Similar scenario to many others: open floor plan with 5.1 Sonos home theater setup + separate Play Five turntable setup. Would love it if the sub could be used for both (not at the same time, obviously)

Please add me to this list as well. I recently purchased a Sonos Arc Surround sound set and wanted to use the sub with all my play ones grouped throughout my home in living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom when TV is inactive. Once I realized tia can’t be done I became quite dissatisfied. I know this can’t be done with a wired system which is why I switched to sonos! This shouldn’t be so difficult to configure. 

I would also like to be added to the list requesting this feature.

I’m planning on soon buying a pair of Fives for a space that shares a Beam/Sub combo.

It’s a relief that recent updates allow for easy enough re-grouping, but the ability to save groups/scenes sharing one Sub, allowing instant switching with stored Trueplay settings would be perfect. I’m not thrilled I’ll need to go through the Trueplay steps each time I switch the Sub’s speaker grouping. I won’t be moving any speaker’s location, so this step will feel a bit much.

Thankfully it seems the Fives do not need the Sub like the Beam does, so perhaps grouping the Fives to the Sub each time won’t be necessary. But still something I’d love to see in the future!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

One question though: Is it not possible to group two fives with an Arc, a sub and two ones? The ones are added to the arc as surround, and the five stereo pair is added to the Room? 
Does that not work? I could have sworn I have seen this demoed at a dealer...

Not unless it’s changed very recently. You can add the 5’s but they won’t sync properly i.e. you can’t use them as front left and right, even if you were happy that they’s also carry the centre 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

One question though: Is it not possible to group two fives with an Arc, a sub and two ones? The ones are added to the arc as surround, and the five stereo pair is added to the Room? 
Does that not work? I could have sworn I have seen this demoed at a dealer...

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Add my vote too. I would have bought two fives had this worked. (I have an Arc and a sub, would like a Hi-Fi group as well...)

Come on, Sonia!

Please add me to the list - I would also like to switch my sub between the Play 5 pair for audio & Beam for TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Then it’s no use for me… Thanks!

No. The process of removing or adding a speaker erases any stored TruePlay and resets the ‘rooms’. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

But you can turn trueplay on and off for a room without having to re-tune, so this suggests that it does remember?

Obviously this might be different if you take one part of the speaker grouping out?

Wasn’t aware of that, but I wouldn’t qualify that feature as remembering a previous tune.  It’s storing the current tune, which is no longer valid when you remove or add a speaker to the room.  I understand that removing and adding a speaker without physically moving the speaker essentially makes the tune still valid, but this isn’t something that Sonos supports.

So I just followed this through and switching the sub to the other room (my stereo pair of 5’s) is really easy but, as suspected, you need to re-tune each time you move it. You can skip that, of course, so if you don’t use Trueplay this would work a treat, but Trueplay makes such a difference for the TV group that I couldn’t leave it undone.

Still frustrating, therefore, especially so as the 5’s / Sub combo sounds fantastic. 

(PS - I wonder if you turned Trueplay OFF on the TV group before switching the Sub, if it would still be available to turn back on when you put the Sub back? No speakers are physically being moved in this scenario, so the tuning would still be valid?)

But you can turn trueplay on and off for a room without having to re-tune, so this suggests that it does remember?

Obviously this might be different if you take one part of the speaker grouping out?

Wasn’t aware of that, but I wouldn’t qualify that feature as remembering a previous tune.  It’s storing the current tune, which is no longer valid when you remove or add a speaker to the room.  I understand that removing and adding a speaker without physically moving the speaker essentially makes the tune still valid, but this isn’t something that Sonos supports.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So it appears that I owe Sonos an apology. On Sonos controller version 12.0.6, If you select the room that the sub is currently assigned to in settings, and select ‘remove sub’ you can immediately assign the hub to a new speaker group (room) without re-pairing. This accomplishes, at least for me, what I need the system to do and quickly group the sub with the supporting speaker groups based on music or multimedia playback.

Can’t wait to try this later. Major change if it works as simply as this

Just wonder if we have to retune the room after every re-pairing?

I had a look at this (but didn't actually do it yet) and it says it will remove the tuning when you remove the sub from one room. The question is whether or not you can then just turn that back on when you add the sub back, or if it will require a new Trueplay tuning. Will experiment once as I want to re-tune the Arc /sub/rears set up anyway. 

The rooms/speakers don’t store previous ‘tunes’.  There is nothing to restore, when you add speakers back.  I doubt the speaker even knows that the recently added rear speakers or sub were previously part of the room.  It certainly doesn’t know that you’ve placed the speakers in the exact same position they were previously.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So it appears that I owe Sonos an apology. On Sonos controller version 12.0.6, If you select the room that the sub is currently assigned to in settings, and select ‘remove sub’ you can immediately assign the hub to a new speaker group (room) without re-pairing. This accomplishes, at least for me, what I need the system to do and quickly group the sub with the supporting speaker groups based on music or multimedia playback.

I had a look at this (but didn't actually do it yet) and it says it will remove the tuning when you remove the sub from one room. The question is whether or not you can then just turn that back on when you add the sub back, or if it will require a new Trueplay tuning. Will experiment once as I want to re-tune the Arc /sub/rears set up anyway. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Userlevel 2
Badge +2