Can people stop complaining about DTS?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Not sure where to post but I need to chime in. I love this forum, but a question for all the complainers of DTS not being supported. Did you actually research before you purchased this very expensive equipment? I have read so many people whining “I’m going to return my Sonos” or I’m selling my gear” or “wahhhhhh I’m not buying Sonos unless they give me DTS”. I spent hours researching before I even went to the store to give it a listen. It very clear and in no way hidden that this equipment is geared towards streaming media and music. It clearly states that DTS is not supported. To be honest, I didn’t even know people still watch DVDs! Wait....are VCRs still around too?? People think that Sonos is not listening. I believe they are listening and their answer is NO. They have a very specific brand with one goal in mind. Add music easily throughout your whole home. I think the 5.1 is a bonus but it’s not their claim to fame. I have the 5.1 set up and a couple Play 5s and could not be happier with them. Movies AND Music sound great.
Please stop complaining. If the equipment is not exactly what you want, don’t buy it and please don’t whine that you would buy it “if”. Should I call Apple and tell them I’ll buy thousands of dollars of their brand if they “would simply integrate windows 10” to their interface? Ok, enough venting for 1 day. Phew, that felt good! Bring on the hateful comments, I can handle it.

160 replies

june 2019. I just bought Denon professional DN-500BD MKII (at B&H Photo in NYC) and, out of the box, plays dvd dts 5.1 over my bravia/sonos sound bar with surround speakers listening now. easy! (couldnt really tell from the online research i did, so i just went for it and it works. about $400
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I am fine with the Atmos issue. I am much more influenced by DTS, DTSHD, DOLBYHD and 7.1 decoding. If they can't go all in with 7.1 decoding, at least have a format that 'downplays' 7.1 Dolby and DTS into 5.1 I would be very pleased with that. Those that truly enjoy using Discs to view films 'n such and don't have an option in the owned UHDTV/HDTV to drill what it receives down to Dolby Digital 5.1 it becomes a real problem. The Oppo-UHD-203 that I use has that option so that is what I use. Basically, I route everything through the Oppo to get the audio I want since the Oppo Playbar only accepts optical inputs and only decodes Dolby Digital 5.1 if you want surround. Yes, it will do PCM and basic stereo that sounds way better than a UHDTV, but most of us want surround. You are well versed in these items, probably more than me on most. Thanks for the input

My understanding is that using HDMI-ARC requires that Dolby signals (7.1, Atmos) are going to sent to the Beam as DD 5.1. That doesn't do anything for DTS sources of course, but just saying that Dolby isn't an issue. Also adds to why Sonos isn't going to put out Atmos if the end result doesn't really sound better than DD 5.1.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@jannabana69 no, the people cannot and will not 🙂 DTS has its uses, and if you don't need it, it does not mean others share your needs.

I like my Sonos beam, but I'd like DTS support as well. I have a lot of previously bought media that requires quite a bit of effort and/or money to be playable with Sonos HT. And most of that media is much higher quality than what you get from Netflix. As it is, I backup my stuff on my computer and use PLEX via Fire TV stick to watch stuff transcoded into AC3. This is a very time consuming process, and to anyone who does not know how to do this easily, I recommend solutions other than Sonos. Implement DTS support, and I will immediately yell to everyone to use Sonos for any HT scenario.

So, yes there's consumer demand (referring whathifi? interview). If I could have wired the walls of my flat for speakers instead of dragging wires across my flat, I'd have gotten a traditional AVR system. But hating wires(more than ripping and transcoding Blu Rays), I'm going with Beam, and soon with symfonisk bookshelf speakers (my budget is very limited). If the Beam didn't come into market with much lower price than playbar or playbase, and symfonisk bookshelf announced priced at >=100 euro with full HT integration support, I'd have gone with Yamaha's soundbar + wireless satellites.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am fine with the Atmos issue. I am much more influenced by DTS, DTSHD, DOLBYHD and 7.1 decoding. If they can't go all in with 7.1 decoding, at least have a format that 'downplays' 7.1 Dolby and DTS into 5.1 I would be very pleased with that. Those that truly enjoy using Discs to view films 'n such and don't have an option in the owned UHDTV/HDTV to drill what it receives down to Dolby Digital 5.1 it becomes a real problem. The Oppo-UHD-203 that I use has that option so that is what I use. Basically, I route everything through the Oppo to get the audio I want since the Oppo Playbar only accepts optical inputs and only decodes Dolby Digital 5.1 if you want surround. Yes, it will do PCM and basic stereo that sounds way better than a UHDTV, but most of us want surround. You are well versed in these items, probably more than me on most. Thanks for the input

Ah, I see your perspective. Yeah, I guess for the time being people who have DTS discs will have to rely on Blu-Ray players that can transcode from DTS to DD in real time. In fact, I see that there's already a thread on this :)

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/blu-ray-player-that-converts-to-dolby-digital-5-1-6736040
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I just dug up this older article:

https://www.whathifi.com/amp/features/sonos-talks-dolby-atmos-dts-sound-quality-and-beam-soundbar

Pertinent quotation:

__Sonos works with a host of music and movie industry professionals on the performance of its products and clearly takes a lot of their feedback on board. One such person is Academy Award-winning sound mixer, Chris Jenkins (Mad Max: Fury Road, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Love & Mercy). And he wasn't taken with Atmos sound from existing soundbars.... "We found in a product this size… when we listened to some products which were way more expensive that did Atmos…" Martin tails off, making a somewhat unimpressed face. "Chris said to me, 'that’s got good height, but I didn’t put that stuff up there'. And we have to get it right. It would be a good thing to stick on the side of product but it has to work."__

It tells me Sonos will only release an Atmos soundbar only after they have perfected the implementation of Atmos in a soundbar form factor. It has to pass the Chris Jenkins test; if Chris is not impressed with even $2000 Atmos soundbars, then we have a long ways to go. This reminds me of the way Apple approaches things: they wait for others to come out with a new feature, then take their time to release the same feature but exquisitely executed and "just works".

It's possible we'll never see a Sonos Atmos soundbar if they are never happy with the end result. In that case I hope they release individual speakers with the addition of height drivers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If they do I will likely be early in line to upgrade what I have now. I am already considering the Samsung HW-N950 soundbar that includes rears as my next purchase. If the sounders don't catch up, it will be Emotiva with all separate speakers. I would prefer to keep a bit of the cost down but basically if it truly sounds better, I will pay up.

I'm kinda in a similar boat: while I'm currently happy with my dedicated Pioneer Elite + Energy Encores 5.1 setup that provides way more power than I'll ever need, I'd get in line to cut the cords and migrate to a Sonos system. At one point earlier in my life I was very particular about having proper 5.1 for my home cinema, but now that I'm older with kids I don't mind trading all that for a close approximation if it means a less cluttered living space and more convenience.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
If they do I will likely be early in line to upgrade what I have now. I am already considering the Samsung HW-N950 soundbar that includes rears as my next purchase. If the sounders don't catch up, it will be Emotiva with all separate speakers. I would prefer to keep a bit of the cost down but basically if it truly sounds better, I will pay up.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I do believe that in order to increase their revenue, Sonos will have to enter new markets or increase their market share in existing markets like home cinema. If they are serious about increasing their market share in home cinema, I predict that Sonos will eventually release a proper Dolby Atmos soundbar with support for DTS Virtual:X as well.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Yes, I have 5.1 with Play 5's in one room and Play 1's in the other and they sound great. The worst issue is that I cannot decode the DTS, Dolby Atmos or anything less compressed and better that Dolby Digital 5.1! Yes, those codes sound better and were invented for just that. It is true if one wants true 'home theater' in a room, one needs to spend a much larger amount of money and buy all separates with enough power to drive them, NOT a soundbar with wireless speakers. I do know because I have done it about 15 years ago when 'home theater' was pretty much a new thing. Soundbars and Sonos didn't exist then. I do have the experience with Microsoft operating system and went to Apple when I learned how much better the MAC is. Windows was basically a copy of so much of Apple's MAC system so why would Apple need Windows? Back to DTS now...DTS, Dolby Atmos, DTSHD and more do sound much better basically because they are much less COMPRESSED audio and do sound better in films. Sonos become a publicly owned company and raised enough cash to invest in new products to expand on services. Many streaming services are now offering much more that Dolby Digital in their services. Apple iTunes does, Amazon Prime, Netflix and more are there and more items arrive every month. If Sonos at a bare minimum had HDMI ARC in all the new items they would sell more. If they had HDMI 2.2 recognition and or passthrough with DTS, Dolby Atmos an all audio decoding then they would double the sale and then the stock price. I am a shareholder so I will mention it when I attend the shareholders meeting. This is not a wah,wah, or boo, hoo. It more like a step up and catch uo with what all the other manufacturers of Soundbars/Subs/Suooround are already doing and selling. This is about the bucks, and the sound. Both are better.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
jannabana69, I will say that anyone with the ability to enjoy terrific new 4k discs or Streams that now use DTS, Dolby Atmos, and more that provide an enormously better experience while watching the film. Yes I did my research an about the best available at the time. Nowadays, the other manufacturers are stepping over Sonos with HDMI 2.2 inputs/passthrough with DTS, DTSHD, Dolby Atmos and more decoding capabilities. The main place where Sonos is trying to keep pace is the WiFi connectivity vs Bluetooth for many others. Sonos is now a public corporation and will have toe answer to shareholders, like me, that are concerned that Sonos will nbe unable to keep pace with all the other items/ brands now available.
Badge
Might be worth mentioning, but TVs that passthough DTS are still fairly scarce. Even if Sonos implement support (and I do still believe they should), many Sonos users, including myself, would still be unable to chain the signal from source to speaker.

It's probably unpopular advice, but the best way for Sonos users to get surround sound from their DTS content is to buy an xbox one or some other device that can transcode on the fly.

Besides Xbox, do you know specifically what supports this? Models? I saw the older articles on here, but those recommendations seem to be for gear that is no longer made/supported. Most product descriptions don’t appear to explicitly say. I guess only those of us with Sonos systems are asking.
I have a Sony Blu-ray and Sony HD and neither seems to resolve my dts issue (or lack thereof)
Badge
I love the beam but I think not providing the ability for DTS is limiting. I am currently looking to purchase a UHD player and only Samsung have the option to transcode DTS soundtracks to 5.1DD on the fly. I am now being forced down a route where I have to purchase the Samsung to get some surround sound otherwise I will be stuck with 2 channel PCM. Hopefully this will be addressed in the future with new product releases.

May I ask if you found a good model Samsung UHF that allowed you to hear DTS on your Sonos system and if so, what model? I searched the older Sonos articles and apparently this has been a big issue for a long time. The recommended players from earlier articles are no longer made and I can’t afford to take any more Mis-steps after this “Sonos blunder”.

The sound from Sonos is great.

But overall I’m highly disappointed that I can’t listen to my favorite Blu-ray’s thru my expensive new Sonos system. From the articles, the makers appear to be tone deaf on the subject.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Buy the latest Samsung Blu-ray you can, the have Netflix app etc and can transcode that into DD..
I would very much like DTS support, did know I’d have to buy a Samsung blue ray player when I bought my Playbase but with no more players available to transcode at sensible money it’s concerning that options are now limited to PS4 pro or Xbox for optical out transcoded to DD. However I always liked buying physical media from shops and with my local HMV now closed buying from the internet really doesn’t appeal to me. Perhaps rather late to the technology we now watch most movies via Sky or Netflix and have been looking at Apple TV and buying movies through their store and streaming. All these are in DD and the video quality seems ok, perhaps not quite as good as a well mastered blu ray but not a deal breaker. I’d go as far as to say that the convenience of streaming means sooner rather than later I’d have stopped buying blu rays anyway so my need is more for old favourites than anything going forward. I suppose my only concern is if any of these services stopped streaming in DD would Sonos be left obsolete but I’d imagine that’s highly unlikely.
Badge +1
Since Sonos uses WiFi to pass data, I could see why they stick with Dolby Digital as their 5.1 audio format. DD uses the least amount of data of all the home theater sound formats. Here’s a nice explanation of the various formats and the space they use:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/dts-vs-dolby-digital/
Badge
Thanks for replying I did not see that before but In all honesty have listened to DTS for years through my Amp via optical. So should be possible right?

Are you connecting your source via a TV? Does your TV passthrough a DTS signal? If it can't than it's a moot point.

I am connecting my source (a Roku Ultra) directly to my TV (LG 65SJ8500) via an HDMI cable. The playbar is connected to the same tv with an optical wire. For some reason this does not pass through if the Roku is broadcasting DTS.. If I then switch to internal speakers I hear the audio
Badge +2
Thanks for replying I did not see that before but In all honesty have listened to DTS for years through my Amp via optical. So should be possible right?

Are you connecting your source via a TV? Does your TV passthrough a DTS signal? If it can't than it's a moot point.
Badge
Let me quote from this:

https://www.lifewire.com/digital-optical-connection-1846881

Digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections. To transfer these types of audio signal formats you need to use HDMI connections.

Note that the majority of soundbars sold by Sonos are still based on the digital optical process. It's only the latest Beam release that can use an HDMI-ARC connection.
Badge
I have content that is in fact streaming yet with DTS in there so no idea why this should not just be supported. It is a widely used form of providing audio so why would the playbar not be able to play or process it?
You could rip the disk to a local hard drive, and in that case, you would still be in DTS. I think others have stated this is their preffered method, and they then transcode DTS to Dolby.

My days of transcoding are over. I have wasted hours of my life waiting for movie to transcode before being able to watch the movie. I want to be able to slip a disc into my play, press play and watch it. Convenience is one of the things that draws me to Sonos. I have a house full of various devices, by my home theatre will remain off limits without supporting the stuff I already own.
Should I call Apple and tell them I’ll buy thousands of dollars of their brand if they “would simply integrate windows 10” to their interface?

Great analogy. Oh wait..........you can integrate Windows 10 with MacOS using parallels. Dang!

On a serious point, I would love to throw money at Sonos to replace my home theatre setup with something that sounds better (I do not dispute sound quality for the level of convenience), but the reality is I have loads of DTS Blu Ray disks and my current setup supports DTS. Therefore, I am not prepared to drop a few thousand dollars on something that gives me less functionality that I currently have.

I don't expect this for free and I am happy to pay extra - maybe as an add on so all those people who don't want it don't have to pay. But as things stand my money stays in my wallet. This is not a whinge, it's just the reality of the situation.
Badge +2
Might be worth mentioning, but TVs that passthough DTS are still fairly scarce. Even if Sonos implement support (and I do still believe they should), many Sonos users, including myself, would still be unable to chain the signal from source to speaker.

It's probably unpopular advice, but the best way for Sonos users to get surround sound from their DTS content is to buy an xbox one or some other device that can transcode on the fly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
"Samsung will no longer make any new 4K / Ultra HD Blu-ray players. Website Forbes was able to get this confirmed confirmation with Samsung, that includes UHD Blu-ray players by the way. A high-end model that was initially planned for January this year was also cancelled. It seems the trend is that we all move towards streaming video services like Netflix" More evidence to the fact that the future is streaming, meaning DTS won't be a problem for the majority, as streaming is in normal 5.1. I can see when Blu Rays were more popular it would have been a feature required by many but I really can't see why they would add it now when people will be moving over to streaming.

I don't know that Samsung's announcement is the best data to show that people are moving away from blu ray and DTS. It could be that the market is saturated with blu ray players already, or that people prefer different vendors for blu ray players. However, googling "blu ray disk sales" shows that sales of discs is definitely declining, while streaming services is increasing.

So, I'd agree with the conclusion that as time continues on, there will be less and less people who desire and could utilize DTS in their home theatre setup.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings