Can people stop complaining about DTS?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Not sure where to post but I need to chime in. I love this forum, but a question for all the complainers of DTS not being supported. Did you actually research before you purchased this very expensive equipment? I have read so many people whining “I’m going to return my Sonos” or I’m selling my gear” or “wahhhhhh I’m not buying Sonos unless they give me DTS”. I spent hours researching before I even went to the store to give it a listen. It very clear and in no way hidden that this equipment is geared towards streaming media and music. It clearly states that DTS is not supported. To be honest, I didn’t even know people still watch DVDs! Wait....are VCRs still around too?? People think that Sonos is not listening. I believe they are listening and their answer is NO. They have a very specific brand with one goal in mind. Add music easily throughout your whole home. I think the 5.1 is a bonus but it’s not their claim to fame. I have the 5.1 set up and a couple Play 5s and could not be happier with them. Movies AND Music sound great.
Please stop complaining. If the equipment is not exactly what you want, don’t buy it and please don’t whine that you would buy it “if”. Should I call Apple and tell them I’ll buy thousands of dollars of their brand if they “would simply integrate windows 10” to their interface? Ok, enough venting for 1 day. Phew, that felt good! Bring on the hateful comments, I can handle it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

174 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
LoL...are you a Sonos stockholder or employee? Either way why would you not advocate for Sonos to support widely adopted standards? I’m told that Sonos did not properly educate the sales staff that sold me the system back in 2015. Has that changed? A major audio system manufacturer not supporting the audio standard of BluRay movies is a big risk.
Meanwhile, can you show me where on the Sonos home theatre website it tells me about not supporting BluRay DTS audio?
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/products/wireless-home-theater
All I see is a sentence about enjoying “every movie...”
Userlevel 1
Just adding my voice here: I regret buying a Sonos Beam and it's more or less down to their lack of DTS support. I have lots and lots of blu ray discs and I had no clue about surround sound formats and how they are supported on different platforms - until Sonos Beam. The more I read about this and how to pry some transcoded Dolby Digital signal out of the cold dead hands of archaic home cinema hardware, the more people echo this marketing bull about Sonos being a solution for streaming customers who never ever owned a single disc nor expect to get surround sound from it, the more infuriated I become.
Why should people stop complaining about DTS? It's boneheaded and backwards to leave it out and it should be fixed sooner rather than later.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Not sure where to post but I need to chime in. I love this forum, but a question for all the complainers of DTS not being supported. Did you actually research before you purchased this very expensive equipment? I have read so many people whining “I’m going to return my Sonos” or I’m selling my gear” or “wahhhhhh I’m not buying Sonos unless they give me DTS”. I spent hours researching before I even went to the store to give it a listen. It very clear and in no way hidden that this equipment is geared towards streaming media and music. It clearly states that DTS is not supported. To be honest, I didn’t even know people still watch DVDs! Wait....are VCRs still around too?? People think that Sonos is not listening. I believe they are listening and their answer is NO. They have a very specific brand with one goal in mind. Add music easily throughout your whole home. I think the 5.1 is a bonus but it’s not their claim to fame. I have the 5.1 set up and a couple Play 5s and could not be happier with them. Movies AND Music sound great.
Please stop complaining. If the equipment is not exactly what you want, don’t buy it and please don’t whine that you would buy it “if”. Should I call Apple and tell them I’ll buy thousands of dollars of their brand if they “would simply integrate windows 10” to their interface? Ok, enough venting for 1 day. Phew, that felt good! Bring on the hateful comments, I can handle it.

Oh good grief, really? :P

We got our PlayBar, Sub and 2x Play 1s years ago (about 6 months after the PlayBar came out from memory) and love the sound they give us. But Sonos clearly dropped the ball not having DTS support and perhaps for not having HDMI input.

Yes, we were well aware of the lack of DTS support when we made our informed decision to purchase. But why should we not wish for DTS support and ask Sonos to consider DTS support in the next OS update or hardware release?

If you did not realise the people still use DVDs you really are out of touch!! ;)

Please stop flaming people for giving feedback to Sonos !
Userlevel 3
Badge
LoL...are you a Sonos stockholder or employee? Either way why would you not advocate for Sonos to support widely adopted standards? I’m told that Sonos did not properly educate the sales staff that sold me the system back in 2015. Has that changed? A major audio system manufacturer not supporting the audio standard of BluRay movies is a big risk.
Meanwhile, can you show me where on the Sonos home theatre website it tells me about not supporting BluRay DTS audio?

I have repeatedly stated the Playbar is not fit for purpose for a true home theater, starting from the day it was released. That doesn't mean a thing when someone refuses to take responsibility for their own purchases. I knew Playbar was not for me, so I don't have one in my home theater, I have an actual home theater system. Far more effective for getting what I want than to complain in a forum about a system that doesn't have what I want.

Well I wish you wrote for the Sonos website, which misleadingly advertises:
"Home theater for music lovers.
Epic sound for all your movies, games and TV shows."

How bout that statement "all your movies." Watch, they'll be changing that false advertising soon.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have repeatedly stated the Playbar is not fit for purpose for a true home theater, starting from the day it was released. That doesn't mean a thing when someone refuses to take responsibility for their own purchases. I knew Playbar was not for me, so I don't have one in my home theater, I have an actual home theater system. Far more effective for getting what I want than to complain in a forum about a system that doesn't have what I want.

Dude you are like a broken record player.

It is not unreasonable at all for owners who have paid a premium for a system to expect support for a codec that systems much much cheaper support.

Pushing innovation requires constructive criticism not sarcastic I have an actual home theater system - good for you.

How much are sonos paying you?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I think this topic is frankly ridiculous.

Sonos has a lot of Home Cinema booths set up in retail stores worldwide, in which they advertise their expensive playbar-sub-two rears as a complete home cinema system. What they don't tell you is that if you buy one, you are severly restricting yourself in terms of content you can play on your system.

The core of the problem is not that dolby digital 5.1 does not sound good or immersive. It's that your Sonos system it is unable to play a lot of common audio sources that feed into a typical home cinema system.

For crying out loud more than 80% of Blu-rays have DTS audio tracks. If you have a 4k / HDR television, and you want to experience ultra HD bluray 4k content, which is vastly superior in terms of visual quality to what Netflix streams, unless you have a very expensive blu-ray player that transcodes, you will have either stereo or no sound.

This is also foregoing the possibility that streaming services will move to higher fidelity sound codecs such as DTS and DD TrueHD in the coming years (which they will). That would mean that unless you get a transcoding device, you and your Sonos home cinema system will be stuck in stereo.

If you are okay with getting stereo sound in 2018 from your $1600 Sonos Home Cinema system, be my guest. I'm not, which is why, like others, I'm trying to get my voice heard. We are locked in the ecosystem, switching costs are high, which is why Sonos is getting away with this kind of stuff.

I seriously do not get why you are complaining about people raising this issue. If it does not affect you, good for you. This issue is a big issue for alot of people though.

If you think Sonos is making the decision to not support modern audio codecs and connections out of practical, design and 'love for audio' considerations, you are kidding yourself. Sonos is gearing up for an IPO and has in the past year laid of plenty of employees. They are pursuing a fat bottom line on the short run. That is exactly why they are targeting the technically unsavvy affluent consumer, looking for a premium home cinema system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Just adding my voice here: I regret buying a Sonos Beam and it's more or less down to their lack of DTS support. I have lots and lots of blu ray discs and I had no clue about surround sound formats and how they are supported on different platforms - until Sonos Beam. The more I read about this and how to pry some transcoded Dolby Digital signal out of the cold dead hands of archaic home cinema hardware, the more people echo this marketing bull about Sonos being a solution for streaming customers who never ever owned a single disc nor expect to get surround sound from it, the more infuriated I become.
Why should people stop complaining about DTS? It's boneheaded and backwards to leave it out and it should be fixed sooner rather than later.

Completely agree. The beam and Playbar are primarily marketed as ‘home cinema’ and not music streamers (it’s an added bonus). To not support one of the most used formats in optical disc based media is frankly ridiculous. You are now limited in which uhd player you can buy (Samsung) as there are no other black box solutions to downmix DTS to DD. I would rather buy the Sony or Panasonic UHD players as they support Dolby Vision, but if I do I will only be able to watch films in Stereo. It’s 2019 and not 2003. I am honestly not sure why these codecs are not included in the beam when cheaper soundbars from other manufacturers carry them. If it’s a matter of cost then I would happily pay if a Software update was available.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I'd like to see Sonos support DTS not because I need it (lost my blu ray player in a move and have been all streaming since) but because I think they should stay competitive. If they're competitive, they can keep making money to spend on developing new products for the rest of the line.
Userlevel 3
Badge

How bout that statement "all your movies." Watch, they'll be changing that false advertising soon.

Anybody who takes marketing at face value is a fool, unless you think sugar coated Frosted Flakes are really part of a "G-r-e-e-e-a-a-a-t breakfast"?

LOL...great example... and what if after buying frosted flakes (on face value) you brought them home only to discover they’re incompatible with milk? ? Please show us, oh great consumer who condescends upon us average shoppers, where on the Sonos consumer website it’s made plain they do not support BluRay (DTS) audio out of the box, forums excluded, as the vast majority of people only go to forums after the fact.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well most people wouldn't have a clue what to look for, know what DTS, DTSx, true dolby etc etc etc is.
So a sticker wouldn't help them.
Still sonos thinks the problem is strong enough to state it in requirements. They don't mention DD5.1+ or any others...

But buyers would expect any soundbar to plug into a Blu-ray/4K player and work.
I guess it's buyer beware, and then take it back to store for something else when/if you find out, within returns timeline....maybe sonos have calculated that store returns and then stock of 2nds is minimal.....
Userlevel 3
Badge
So why can't this statement be printed on a sticker on the playbase/Playbar box?

PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE Requirements

The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE are compatible with any television that has an optical digital audio output. The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE are compatible with a Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo PCM signal passed via optical output. The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE do not support the DTS format.

It is in system requirements on sonos website:-
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127

A voice of reason! Thank you, that would be one step, more a legality though than helping consumers, who don’t know what they don’t know (most people don’t know DTS and the implications of incompatibility). Most people owning BluRay discs and buying Sonos would simply expect it to be compatible without understanding the technical jargon. In a perfect world Sonos would go ahead and add support for the DTS codec via a software update. Though I’m guessing that would require a hardware (DSP chipset) change and perhaps that’s the hurdle? Or is it a licensing thing that Sonos refuses to pay to leverage that codec? Who knows. I’m just going to say in all my years of purchasing electronics this was the rudest awakening to “buyers beware” than perhaps the release of Windows Vista.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Well most people wouldn't have a clue what to look for, know what DTS, DTSx, true dolby etc etc etc is.
So a sticker wouldn't help them.
Still sonos thinks the problem is strong enough to state it in requirements. They don't mention DD5.1+ or any others...

But buyers would expect any soundbar to plug into a Blu-ray/4K player and work.
I guess it's buyer beware, and then take it back to store for something else when/if you find out, within returns timeline....maybe sonos have calculated that store returns and then stock of 2nds is minimal.....

Amen!! Another rational person who lives in the “real” world. 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Please stop complaining. If the equipment is not exactly what you want, don’t buy it and please don’t whine that you would buy it “if”. Should I call Apple and tell them I’ll buy thousands of dollars of their brand if they “would simply integrate windows 10” to their interface? Ok, enough venting for 1 day. Phew, that t is felt good! Bring on the hateful comments, I can handle it.

So good for you, you have started a interesting debate. Here is why I am annoyed about lack of DTS support. I live in an area that does not have fibre broadband so I can’t stream 4K movies and programmes. DVD’s are virtually my only source of surround sound and UHD pictures. By the way, what do you do if Netflix/Amazon etc switches to DTS? Secondly, I did do some research before I parted with a grand plus. The Sonos Playbar site clearly states that it is compatible with anything you plug into it. Finally, if I had a clue what DTS and DD was I wouldn’t be trying to buy a plug in and play system. I know just enough about Sound however to realise that a wireless system will never match a (cheaper) separates system. The Sonos is a convenience workaround and lifestyle product.

I am a busy man who has a life and expect to get premium service from a premium company. I don’t have the time or inclination to troll support pages for weeks prior to making a purchase like this, life is too short. I am jealous of people who do have the time because I am now forced to do this research and it is absolutely the most tedious thing I have ever done. ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sonos has a lot of Home Cinema booths set up in retail stores worldwide, in which they advertise their expensive playbar-sub-two rears as a complete home cinema system. What they don't tell you is that if you buy one, you are severly restricting yourself in terms of content you can play on your system.

The core of the problem is not that dolby digital 5.1 does not sound good or immersive. It's that your Sonos system it is unable to play a lot of common audio sources that feed into a typical home cinema system.

For crying out loud more than 80% of Blu-rays have DTS audio tracks. If you have a 4k / HDR television, and you want to experience ultra HD bluray 4k content, which is vastly superior in terms of visual quality to what Netflix streams, unless you have a very expensive blu-ray player that transcodes, you will have either stereo or no sound.

This is also foregoing the possibility that streaming services will move to higher fidelity sound codecs such as DTS and DD TrueHD in the coming years (which they will). That would mean that unless you get a transcoding device, you and your Sonos home cinema system will be stuck in stereo.

If you are okay with getting stereo sound in 2018 from your $1600 Sonos Home Cinema system, be my guest. I'm not, which is why, like others, I'm trying to get my voice heard. We are locked in the ecosystem, switching costs are high, which is why Sonos is getting away with this kind of stuff.

I seriously do not get why you are complaining about people raising this issue. If it does not affect you, good for you. This issue is a big issue for alot of people though.

If you think Sonos is making the decision to not support modern audio codecs and connections out of practical, design and 'love for audio' considerations, you are kidding yourself. Sonos is gearing up for an IPO and has in the past year laid of plenty of employees. They are pursuing a fat bottom line on the short run. That is exactly why they are targeting the technically unsavvy affluent consumer, looking for a premium home cinema system.

Bravo, succinctly put.

What they said x100 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And actually for the first time about a week ago I set my Playbar to a permanent 5.1 group (before I had only done on a few occasions for a movie just to try it out). I got a Sonos One for my bathroom which meant I really had 2 extra Play:1s then to go full 5.1 (I have always had Playbar and Sub grouped).

I have to say after a week of having and playing not only TV but Music. The setup is pretty amazing when it comes to sound quality. It really fills a room and with great lows and clarity. Not sure why we get complaints here on not hearing voices very well as I think the overall tone of it is terrific. Also nice you can trueplay the whole thing where the 2 Play:1s aren't exactly at same height and angle in room but with trueplay the sound is well balanced between them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thank for the story Janna.

I was really into 5.1 and home theater about 10 years ago and had the full hard wired 5.1 system ... top of the line speakers etc.

It was fun at first but lost the novelity. When I went Sonos when I moved to my new house I never setup the whole 5.1 system again. I did use the 2 rears B&Ws for a system in my bedroom (with a Sonos Connect attached). And my old system with the 2 B&W fronts and Sub attached. My B&W Center Channel speaker sits in a closet.

And I really barely use those. Sonos is just so much more convienient and the old 5.1 systems and amps just don't give me much use.

Now .... over Christmas I got a good deal on a new Sonos One and another Play:5. I had a Playbar/Sub on my TV on my third floor loft (that didn't get a lot of use either). I put the new Play:5 up there and a Sonos One replaced the Play:1 in my bathroom. So that freed up a playbar, Sub and a Play:1 .... yes for reason my sunroom with my 65" TV just so happens to have a Play:1 already in there.

Now back enjoying 5.1 sound for the first time in about 7 years at home. Sounds terrific without the wires and hassle of my old system. No I'm not to watching movies yet - I think if I use my son's PlayStation 4 attached to that TV I can watch bluerays (will it convert to DD5.1 I have no idea). Key thing is I'm actually enjoying 5.1 again which other solutions just weren't giving the ease of setup and quality that Sonos gives.

Is the compatibility still in the back of my mind. yes - for one I don't know what I will be able to play via the playstation movie wise (but I dont' really watch blurays anymore). Does it hinder my purchase decisions - yes I would probably replace the B&W/amp system in my living room with a Playbase if I knew it was more future proof.

What I really want is a SuperConnect Box that sends out signals to all Sonos speakers to create 5.1 (like using 3 Play:5s for front, center, right). And Dolby Atmos compatibility - that would be incredible.

So I guess my point is I really like the current Sonos solution. It is easy and high quality. But I can also see people still shying away from the Sonos solution because it does have its limitations. I still right now for a lot of people recommend getting a wired 7.1 system if they want surround sound/atmos/DTS/higher end codecs with a Sonos Connect attached to make it Sonos.... if that is what they are in to they won't be satisfied with the current playbar/playbase solution.

Anybody who takes marketing at face value is a fool, unless you think sugar coated Frosted Flakes are really part of a "G-r-e-e-e-a-a-a-t breakfast"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So why can't this statement be printed on a sticker on the playbase/Playbar box?

PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE Requirements

The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE are compatible with any television that has an optical digital audio output. The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE are compatible with a Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo PCM signal passed via optical output. The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE do not support the DTS format.

It is in system requirements on sonos website:-
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127
Userlevel 3
Badge
where on the Sonos consumer website it’s made plain they do not support BluRay (DTS) audio out of the box
https://www.sonos.com/shop/playbar.html#specs
Optical input to connect to your TV. Allows PLAYBAR to work with DOLBY DIGITAL and stereo.

And no, there isn't a list of all the things the product does not do. It could be interminable.

“All the things...”? Playing audio that’s based on an industry standard is assuming too much? I’m not asking the stupid thing to make coffee. I’m asking to stick a disc in a Blu-ray player and have the sound come out of the audio system that touts itself to be a home theater audio system. You people are hilarious. You all must work for Sonos. Lol;)
Userlevel 3
Badge
It isn’t just you, I do the same research before spending my hard earned dollars.
So when you research a brand new car, you specifically make sure that it has a left-hand turning signal or don’t you just assume a brand new car does those basic things?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Users with a serious need for a "theatre room" most probably won't have gone down this PLAY* path anyhow. They'll have a receiver with passive speakers dotted around the room, quite possibly hooked up to a CONNECT/ZP90/ZP80.
Exactly!! Serious users know what they want (DTS) and would know to look for it. It is not an unreasonable assumption for a normal user to think that all Sonos units would just accept all standard inputs (as the ZP100/ZP80/Play 5s at the time did), after all one of the original (back in the day) Sonos USPs was how simple a set up the system was.

I remember all the forum traffic on this DTS issue as well as the lack of HDMI inputs when the PlayBar came out. There were lots of cleaver workarounds that users came up with just to get the PlayBar into their Sonos setups. Why bother? Because if you want; better "stereo" than your TV came with, want to be able to send TV's sound around the whole house and are not too fussed if the surround sound is not up to true theatre room standards then the PlayBar setup does a good job and we love ours.

We purchase our PlayBar, Sub (matt black is best!) and Play 1's knowing full well of these two issues. Many people thought that Sonos had dropped the ball, me included (and I have not changed my mind in the intervening years!) but we all hoped that at some point Sonos would bring DTS to their system.

I have no idea why this has not happened, there might a valid technical reason but I am not qualified to understand these things! Or it might be that Sonos just do not want to go back on their decision and be seen to have lose face. Whatever the reason I for one still hang onto my hope that DTS (and HDMI?) will make it to the Sonos system at some point either in an update or a PlayBar 2.

Of course I may end up in a "sod's law" position, that the upcoming OS update in April brings both DTS support and at the same time the death of the CR100, then what will we do?? :?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Lol, not beating myself up. It’s interesting to see though, how passionate people are regarding this issue no matter what side of the fence they are on. I didn’t join in on the conversation too much after I posted the question, but I did lurk! What I have concluded, there are 3 types of people that got involved in this conversation; 1- The people that did plenty of research BEFORE they made their purchase. 2- The people who DIDNT do their research before they bought it and were like “wtf” when they got home. 3- The people that “REALLY WANT SONOS” but will not spend a dime on it until they implement the codec. It’s nice that we have such a diverse group in the community!
Let’s see what’s next.....?
Hey Sonos, when we getting that outdoor speaker??? Hahahaha jkjk
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Bravo, succinctly put.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Most people going forward will be streaming from netflix, itunes and amazon and their content is in 5.1, so it looks like Sonos made the right decision bypassing DTS. DVD's and Blu Rays is not the future. I've got the 5.1 set up and all current content on netflix is in 5.1, no hassle of selecting different sound types from dvd menus for each movie, it just works. itunes is coming to Samsung TV's this year and when it does that is where I will purchase my movies from again all in 5.1 dolby sound. I see no reason to add DTS when the formats using it are dying out.

DVD and Blu-Ray sales are still very strong & there's no harm in including a codec if you personally don't use it.