Answered

BEAM HDMI INPUT QUESTION

• 12 February 2019
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

It depends on the TV. The Shield could be wanting to send DD 5.1, but if the TV says it can’t accept it then the Shield will down convert to stereo. Check if your TV supports DD 5.1 pass through over optical on rtings.com.

There are often ways of forcing broken TVs to accept DD 5.1 over optical even if their engineers misread the HDCP spec and blocked it, but first you need to make sure the Shield is capable of sending it.

Thanks but as per previous post I’m using a projector not TV.  HDMI into matrix with audio extracted out through optical to Sonos.  

That’s really handy thanks. 
I found This which seems to fit the bill

I can confirm that the splitter and beam work well together - when Chrome kicks in it automatically takes over the Beam so it doesn’t require any selecting within the Sonos App. 

The power-in line on my splitter was a bit dodgy so meant the chrome kept loosing connection, but since I’ve stabilised it everything runs fine. 

Extra tip… the Beam will learn the remote control for your tv/projector and you can use it to control the volume - on my Optoma it wasn’t possible to deselect the built-in speakers - so what I did was plug a 3.5mm headphone jack into the output socket and this cancelled them out without effecting the audio to the Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Apart from this it would be helpful to add a simpler option to see the type of audio input that arrives at the beam sonos from any source than the one currently available via "About"

Preaching to the choir on this one. Thats why my Sonos apps show the exact type of music source right in the Now Playing area. No idea why Sonos bury it in About, same reason they bury Alarms I guess.