Question

Sonos Ace - Static

Userlevel 2

Just had my new Ace delivered, and there seems to be a slightly varying static sound coming from the right headset.

Anyone getting this too?

51 replies

Userlevel 2

Thank @Mark Derrick 

okay, I’ll call support today and get my exchange as well. I will repost here to confirm it. 

I've replaced it already two time via the store where I buy the Ace. All three of them where faulty. 

I would suggest that you get it replaced by Sonos directly, so they can be sure to send you a product from a known good batch, otherwise you’ll likely to keep getting models from the same batch

Userlevel 1

I'm also having this issue. Sonos support put me on hold for 30 minutes, then the call dropped. I'll try contacting them again, but may have to return these if it's not resolved. I understand it's Sonos' first headphones, so issues are expected. But for a premium price, better customer support is needed.

Userlevel 2

I'm also having this issue. Sonos support put me on hold for 30 minutes, then the call dropped. I'll try contacting them again, but may have to return these if it's not resolved. I understand it's Sonos' first headphones, so issues are expected. But for a premium price, better customer support is needed.

When calling the support line, after a few minutes it offered me the option of having someone call me back, which I took - an hour or so later I got the call and all was sorted - excellent support considering the position.

Userlevel 1

When calling the support line, after a few minutes it offered me the option of having someone call me back, which I took - an hour or so later I got the call and all was sorted - excellent support considering the position.

Sorted how? What's the fix?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same here I went to know, what do you mean sorted? 

I know we have 30 days to return it. I just wonder if we will get an answer soon enough about this so that we can keep our units if it can be fixed by software update.

30 days is for if you’ve changed your mind. It’s totally separate to the manufacturer’s warranty (Sonos offers two years here in the UK) and also whatever statutory rights you may have against the retailer (likely Sonos again) as a consumer (e.g. in the UK we have the Consumer Rights Act 2015, in the EU there is the Consumer Rights Directive) 😃

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/legal/terms#legal-terms-sale-2024-returns

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/legal/terms#2022-legal-terms-sale-warranty

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/shopping-consumer-rights/index_en.htm

Userlevel 2

They’re sending me a replacement. 

I used the Support Chat this afternoon, and eventually got through to a real person.

I said up front that I wanted a replacement, and I pointed the Chat Agent to this thread and the other one.

They said the issue was a known issue, went through the usual questions, waited for authorisation from the support tier above them, and then finally came back to say that a replacement was authorised 👍

Only annoying thing is that I have to send the original headphones back before I get sent the replacements.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I used the Support Chat this afternoon, and eventually got through to a real person.

I said up front that I wanted a replacement, and I pointed the Chat Agent to this thread and the other one.

They said the issue was a known issue, went through the usual questions, waited for authorisation from the support tier above them, and then finally came back to say that a replacement was authorised 👍

Only annoying thing is that I have to send the original headphones back before I get sent the replacements.

But is it hardware related? I cant find an answer on that question. If it is an known problem Sonos need to come with a statement.

No idea! ☹️ I just hope that my second set don’t have the same issue...

Not very good for Sonos with their highly anticipated new hardware suffering from faults right on the heels of the Sonos App debacle...

Userlevel 3
Badge

They’re sending me a replacement. 

Let us know when you receive them if they are fine please. I’m in two minds. It depends what the tech team says. If I can get them replaced I will. I mean I love them they are great sounding and I love the quality. 

Such a shame this issue has soured my experience. I have beam, mini bass, Sonos one etc. Like a whole system and love it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Today we have a new update for the Ace headphones. No patch notes so we can't see what really has changed. The static noise isn't gone after the update sadly. 

Sonos started a vote on this on reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/s/dBLyHzoCe4

Moderator edit: I don’t think that was us.

I am having a similar issue and seems to be linked to Bluetooth activity in my case. Being especially audible when pairing, reconnecting and doing changes to the Bluetooth connection. Also when starting a new Track or Video. During the playback I cannot hear it. I can only hear it when ANC is either on or in Aware-Mode.

It kind of sounds like the Bluetooth signal is causing interference with the right speaker/microphones?

If that is the case I don’t know if a software update is able to fix this...

Userlevel 2

bummed to say I can also hear the static buzzing in the right cup of the headphones. It is most noticeable to me when I use the transparency mode. I have also heard a higher pitched static noise when connecting to my macbook pro during transparency mode. 

The sound is very clearly some form of bluetooth interference or internal module being amplified by the headset.

I have updated to the recent software version and the issue is still present. Possibly more subtle than it was before… but very much still an issue. 

To those considering purchase, I would say it is hardly there and makes you feel kinda OCD for complaining about it but at this price point it is normal to expect perfection or at least something on par with Airpods Max.

Userlevel 2

For folks wondering why some units have it and some don't - here is an anecdotal data point:

I experience it on my unit, and can definitely hear it. My wife who cares a lot about sound (she has a Sony WH-1000XM5) can't hear it at all.

I'm inclined to think every unit has this issue, but some people can't hear it as I have yet to encounter someone who reported hearing this come back later and tell us they got a unit without this issue. Yes, replacements have been sent, but I've not seen the folks who say they've got a replacement update to say they no longer hear it. Until I see that I'm convinced every unit has this problem.

Userlevel 2

My thoughts are inline with yours Imranra

Userlevel 2

Just want to update here that Sonos level 2 has reached out to me and plans to replace my unit. They have been great all things considered. They are overloaded with a lot of vocal pessimism so I just want to echo that this stuff while unfortunate - happens with tech. Reasonable people should know that they will come full circle and make this right. Sonos is a premium product and have always treated their loyal customer base as such. 

give it time. I’ll report back as to whether the new unit resolves my issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge

For folks wondering why some units have it and some don't - here is an anecdotal data point:

I experience it on my unit, and can definitely hear it. My wife who cares a lot about sound (she has a Sony WH-1000XM5) can't hear it at all.

I'm inclined to think every unit has this issue, but some people can't hear it as I have yet to encounter someone who reported hearing this come back later and tell us they got a unit without this issue. Yes, replacements have been sent, but I've not seen the folks who say they've got a replacement update to say they no longer hear it. Until I see that I'm convinced every unit has this problem.

So I did a similar test with my husband and he cannot hear it all. So I’m also starting to form an idea that it’s there for everyone but some people just don’t seem to have sensitive enough hearing maybe? I have no idea, it does annoy me but… and it’s a big BUT: if this is normal for every unit I might be okay to put up with it. 

Although, I have a feeling that this will be addressed by Sonos in the future. And future units won’t have this issues at all. 

I was so hoping that the software update would resolve this and we could all move on and enjoy our ACEs… I love them, they are the perfect headphones for me. 

Any chances Sonos would fix this with a software update? 

Same same, but different  - For me the noise/ buzzing sound is only present when ANC is in Aware mode. Please be software :| 

Hi everyone,

Same issue here. Such a “relief” to read I’m not the only one who has this issue. I was starting to think I was too picky. It’s also good to know that some of you are getting a new unit. However, I think at this point we have not obtained a clear answer whether or not this is a hardware or software issue (correct me if I’m wrong). 

From my side, and after reading all the comments, I’m more inclined to think it’s a hardware issue. The way I’d describe this sound is very similar to me to the sound of some external hard drives when copying files (not the spinning part, but the writing part). I notice it especially when I’m hearing classical music and there is a silence within that piece. Plus, when updating the Ace software to the latest version, I kept my Ace on my ears and that same buzz intensified considerably, the loudest I heard so far, so I do think it has to do with data processing. This seems to be more noticeable (or just noticeable) when noise cancelling is on. Those are my two cents on this.

For those who received a new unit, it would be great to hear from you if this issue is solved.

Let’s hope for the best! Thank you all who contributed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi everyone,

Same issue here. Such a “relief” to read I’m not the only one who has this issue. I was starting to think I was too picky. It’s also good to know that some of you are getting a new unit. However, I think at this point we have not obtained a clear answer whether or not this is a hardware or software issue (correct me if I’m wrong). 

From my side, and after reading all the comments, I’m more inclined to think it’s a hardware issue. The way I’d describe this sound is very similar to me to the sound of some external hard drives when copying files (not the spinning part, but the writing part). I notice it especially when I’m hearing classical music and there is a silence within that piece. Plus, when updating the Ace software to the latest version, I kept my Ace on my ears and that same buzz intensified considerably, the loudest I heard so far, so I do think it has to do with data processing. This seems to be more noticeable (or just noticeable) when noise cancelling is on. Those are my two cents on this.

For those who received a new unit, it would be great to hear from you if this issue is solved.

Let’s hope for the best! Thank you all who contributed. 

Hi @Dertheus 

Wbat you describe is what everyone here is complaining about. We have no idea if it’s hardware or software. I have a feeling there’s been some major issues during QA where this problem managed to get through. 

I have personally returned mine as I know some people that have received the replacement unit had the same issue. I think at the moment is a roulette. 

If you want to try and it’s easy to return yours (mine had to be sent back via post to Poland) then go ahead and let us know if you manage to get a good pair. 

I think I’ll wait as I’m sure Sonos knows they have a problem but as it’s not noticeable to everyone they don’t want to come out and say so as not to alarm everyone that had these headphones. 

I will wait couple of months and try again. Will defo report back here to inform everyone. 

I updated my Ace to the latest Firmware-Version and the Problem seems to be (almost) gone? At least for the 2 days I have been testing.

Usually was hearing it constantly when doing Bluetooth related things, like pairing, switching devices etc. Now on my test devices and my Ace I can no longer hear the noise after updating.

I added “almost” because I can still hear it faintly when connecting (though a lot less than before).

On a side note, it seems that they also fixed the weird glitches happening during TV-Swap.

Maybe try to update your Sonos App, Restarting the App and then Updating your Ace. This seems to have helped in my case.

After contacting Sonos support I was sent replacement Ace headphones set (they provided a pre paid shipping label).

I can confirm the new headphones do not have the right cup noise issue. Highly recommend getting yours replaced as well if you have this issue!

A little bummed how long this whole process took as I was one of those excited and even preordered but I'm happy to finally have a nice set of working Ace headphones now!

This is the risk you take I suppose with 1st generation products.

Thank you support, regardless!