Skip to main content

Just had my new Ace delivered, and there seems to be a slightly varying static sound coming from the right headset.

Anyone getting this too?

Exact same issue, static like noise originating from right headphone, particularly prevalent when taking calls with the headset, otherwise noticeable during in between songs and when music paused.  Appears to only present with active noise canceling on. Hoping it’s something that can be resolved with a firmware update or only impacting a small number of units.

I have the same issue with static noise in my right ear, which also gets much worse during calls.

Same issue here.  In fact the odd static noise from the right headphone goes away if i place my palm over outer right cup (not blocking the mic metal mesh thing) just contacting the outer cup with my palm.

Hopefully Sonos can fix this, because other wise I’ll have to return my Ace headphones.

I have the same issue, it’s increasingly annoying when I am on the Zoom call, when I am listening to music it’s difficult to notice.

Same issue. 

Seems to not be present when hard wired or using WiFi from the arc.  I think it’s the Bluetooth module + ANC - I’ve noticed similar sounds on AirPods and xm5s. 

Same here, are people returning it do we think there could be a software fix?

If i disable Active Noise Cancellation and Aware Mode it seems to go away (requires Sonos App connection to do this).  So it seems to me related to ANC/Aware mode.

edit: it also seems worse when connected to my PC vs my phone’s bluetooth.  However both produce this odd static/slight glitchy beeping when ANC/aware mode is turned on.

Omg so glad I’m not alone with this!! I’ve also created a thread over this. 

Same exact issue here too. Seems to be very commons and maybe it’s a software issue? I hope it is and it can be fixed. 

What have you all decided to do? I was thinking I had a fault unit and I was going to return them to swap them. But I feel like it’s every pair at this point. Maybe we are more sensitive to this and only a bunch of us have noticed? 

Do we know if Sonos is aware of this?

Same here - right ear buzz. Hoping it’s something that can be fixed with a software update…

Didn’t read any mention of this in any reviews :-(

The Sonos Support Bot can’t help, and the live chat is closed here, so I’ve emailed ceo@sonos.com  ...

The Sonos Support Bot can’t help, and the live chat is closed here, so I’ve emailed ceo@sonos.com  ...

Keep us posted!

No I dont have this issue with mine. Mine sound clean. 

No I dont have this issue with mine. Mine sound clean. 

Are you connected via Bluetooth or do you cable yours? I’ve been doing some random tests to see what’s causing this light buzzing-mechanical sound. I am definitely not certain yet but I think it might be Bluetooth interference or similar. 

It’s very noticible especially if you play a song then stop it and listen to the right cup in noise cancelling mode. 

After doing some testing this morning, it’s definitely related to the noise cancelling drivers. 

If you switch off noise cancelling from the app ‘noise control’ off - buzzing is gone. So:

1- either we have faulty noise cancelling and these need to be returned. 
2- it’s a software issue. @Sonos we need HELP please. 

You’ll need to contact Sonos customer services directly.

After doing some testing this morning, it’s definitely related to the noise cancelling drivers. 

If you switch off noise cancelling from the app ‘noise control’ off - buzzing is gone. So:

1- either we have faulty noise cancelling and these need to be returned. 
2- it’s a software issue. @Sonos we need HELP please. 

I am using mine mostly via bluetooth - I just checked again to ensure my reply is correct and I am still NOT hearing any hissing / static in the right ear cup or left tbh. I just played a few tracks and paused as you said and no hissing. I tried with ANC on and off. 

Oh god, thank you for this topic.
I have the same issue, I was afraid I got a defective unit.

Since a lot of people hear the same static noise, I hope this is software issue and they will find a solution. For now, I'm not returning my Ace, I will stay in touch here.

Symptoms : right ear with annoying bzzzzz, with or without ANC. When changing mode (ANC / AM), the sound seems to disappear but it comes back. 

edit : 

i can confirm : If you switch off noise cancelling from the app ‘noise control’ off - buzzing is gone

Thank you for all the comments here. 

So I’ve done extra testing and I’m trying to use the cables and plug directly into my PC or my iPhone and with or without noise cancelling on the buzzing is gone. So now I don’t know if this means it’s the Bluetooth causing this issue/the static noise.

I know we have 30 days to return it. I just wonder if we will get an answer soon enough about this so that we can keep our units if it can be fixed by software update.

It’s strange that some of us can hear it and some of us can’t. I just wonder if our units are faulty somehow.

Hi @Mark Derrick et al

I’m sorry to hear of the issue you all are having with your new Aces! Please ensure you have the latest Sonos update and Sonos app update, and if the issue is still present, I’d encourage you to call in to our technical support team for assistance.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P 

thanks for the reply I have indeed updated the app and the ACE. I’ve just called your customer service and it says there’s a 45min wait time….

It seems like a common problem as there are so many of us raising this issue here. Did you receive any notes from your Technical Team? Are they aware of this issue? 

After extensive testing today, I’m pretty sure it’s something related to Bluetooth and ANC combined. 

I spoke to tech support yesterday, who confirmed it was a known issue and they are arranging to send me a replacement product.

Thank @Mark Derrick 

okay, I’ll call support today and get my exchange as well. I will repost here to confirm it. 

Hello from France. Same issue as described here.

The Sonos Ace works fine, but as soon as I use its microphone for a Bluetooth call (with ANC activated), I hear a buzzing sound (mostly from the right ear) as if it were wave interference.
The Sonos Ace is up-to-date.

No issue while listening to music only.

Thank @Mark Derrick 

okay, I’ll call support today and get my exchange as well. I will repost here to confirm it. 

I've replaced it already two time via the store where I buy the Ace. All three of them where faulty. 

Thank @Mark Derrick 

I've replaced it already two time via the store where I buy the Ace. All three of them where faulty. 

I hope it’s not a design flaw and it can be fixed via software update!