Setting Sonos speaker as the default speaker

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3624?language=en_US

Add each account from the relevant family member's device  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yes i think you might be right Ken, i was so excited to see it work the last thing you want to do is give up and close the thing. As you say getting it to stick was the problem.

When did this change happen? i saw someone mention it in a facebook sonos group and thought i would try it.

All my Sonos speakers appears in that list. Have you tried scanning for your speaker in the GA app.

You are mistaken. Sonos speakers do not currently appear in that list.

I think you're both right..

I found out that some people can set Sonos as default and some can't.  It looks like you can only set your Sonos Speakers as default if you have at least 1 assitant enabled speaker in your setup..

I, for example, can't set them as defaults, because I only have a playbar and 2 Play:1's.  I've ordered a pair of Ones during black friday, so i'll update this thread somewhere next week with my own experience. 

I’m not sure this is right. I have a GA enabled Sonos Play One but my Google Nest Hub won’t allow me to set it as the default speaker for music. It only allows me to set Bluetooth enabled speakers...

I only have a single Sonos One with GA enabled. I can't set it as a default speaker for my Google Home devices. If you can do this, please post a screenshot.

Badge
Google Assistant settings in Sonos app

Hi all,

I’ve found what confused me:

I have a pair of Sonos One now and linked them to the Google Assistant (BTW, the results from Sonos are really bad! My Google home listens a lot better!)…

In the Google home app I have no option to set any Sonos as default speaker for my Google Home devices..

In the Sonos app (services - Voice service) - I can select a default speaker for the assistant in the Sonos One. That can be any Sonos speaker arround the house (even without a mic).

For now I put my Google home mini on the desk besides the Sonos Ones and tell it to play XXXXX on “Sonos Kantoor” (Sonos Office). Meanwhile I’ve disabled the Google Assistant on Sonos, because of the bad results. 

Bumping this thread as there is still not the ability to set Sonos as the default speaker. Has anyone heard anything new?

All my Sonos speakers appears in that list. Have you tried scanning for your speaker in the GA app.

You are mistaken. Sonos speakers do not currently appear in that list.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just setup GA on my Sonos One. There is an option to setup default speaker in the Google app, have you tried that?

That option is not available. If you go into Google Home app and select setting for a mini/home device the default speaker only lists other Google speakers or third party such as Sony, JBL and LG. Sonos didn't build in this basic feature!

You can also select any Bluetooth speaker as a default.

Poor by Sonos really!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just setup GA on my Sonos One. There is an option to setup default speaker in the Google app, have you tried that?
That option is not available. If you go into Google Home app and select setting for a mini/home device the default speaker only lists other Google speakers or third party such as Sony, JBL and LG. Sonos didn't build in this basic feature!

You can also select any Bluetooth speaker as a default.

Poor by Sonos really!