Setting Sonos speaker as the default speaker

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

All my Sonos speakers appears in that list. Have you tried scanning for your speaker in the GA app.

You are mistaken. Sonos speakers do not currently appear in that list.

I think you're both right..

I found out that some people can set Sonos as default and some can't.  It looks like you can only set your Sonos Speakers as default if you have at least 1 assitant enabled speaker in your setup..

I, for example, can't set them as defaults, because I only have a playbar and 2 Play:1's.  I've ordered a pair of Ones during black friday, so i'll update this thread somewhere next week with my own experience. 

Bumping this thread as there is still not the ability to set Sonos as the default speaker. Has anyone heard anything new?

There is a workaround using a Chromecast Ultra (for Sonos devices equiped with HDMI) or Chromecast Audio (for Sonos with line-in entry only). Just plug the chromecast, link the chromecast to Google Home and … tada ! :-)

All my Sonos speakers appears in that list. Have you tried scanning for your speaker in the GA app.

You are mistaken. Sonos speakers do not currently appear in that list.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just setup GA on my Sonos One. There is an option to setup default speaker in the Google app, have you tried that?
That option is not available. If you go into Google Home app and select setting for a mini/home device the default speaker only lists other Google speakers or third party such as Sony, JBL and LG. Sonos didn't build in this basic feature!

You can also select any Bluetooth speaker as a default.

Poor by Sonos really!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just setup GA on my Sonos One. There is an option to setup default speaker in the Google app, have you tried that?

That option is not available. If you go into Google Home app and select setting for a mini/home device the default speaker only lists other Google speakers or third party such as Sony, JBL and LG. Sonos didn't build in this basic feature!

You can also select any Bluetooth speaker as a default.

Poor by Sonos really!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
That feature wasn't available at release and isn't yet available (unless I missed the announcement somehow). I'm sure this is on the development radar since it was a highly desired feature for Alexa. It took a year before it came to Alexa, but I don't think we'll have to wait that long for it to come to Google. Partially because it's highly desired and partially because Google already has somewhat of a mechanism in place to accomplish the feature (where Alexa did not).
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Does anyone know if a future update will allow a Sonos speaker to be set as the default speaker for a google home room? Its so frustrating this option is not available on release!

Surely that will be a Google App setting, like it is for Amazon Alexa.