Radio 4 voice command stopped working

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is highly speculative, but would someone like to try the instruction "play radio 4 from the BBC".

It's based on an issue that arose on Alexa, and I don't really expect it to carry over to GA. But you never know…

(I only use Alexa, so cannot test it myself)

Or maybe try "play radio 4 from BBC Sounds"

No, plays radio4 extra:joy:

OK.  Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried formulating the commands differently as I previously suggested?

As stated, I don't really expect it to work but it would only take a few seconds to test.

Same issue here. Has been happening for months as per this thread’s timeline. I was kind of just waiting for it to fix - my assumption is that it’s a TuneIn mapping issue.

It is due, I believe, to the BBC no longer allowing access to their stations via TuneIn. Exceptions were made for certain third party users like Sonos, but not voice assistants like Alexa and GA.

https://cms.tunein.com/press-release/changes-to-bbc-stations-on-tunein-in-the-uk/

(There may have been other changes subsequently, but this is the ultimate origin of any difficulties in playing BBC stations using TuneIn.)

It’s definitely not this issue as you can use all the other BBC radio stations in this way.

Voice commands for Radio 2 / 5 live work no problem.

The issue (which is still being ignored is that it is playing the wrong BBC radio 4 station (4 extra, rather than 4)

Same issue here. Has been happening for months as per this thread’s timeline. I was kind of just waiting for it to fix - my assumption is that it’s a TuneIn mapping issue.

It is due, I believe, to the BBC no longer allowing access to their stations via TuneIn. Exceptions were made for certain third party users like Sonos, but not voice assistants like Alexa and GA.

https://cms.tunein.com/press-release/changes-to-bbc-stations-on-tunein-in-the-uk/

(There may have been other changes subsequently, but this is the ultimate origin of any difficulties in playing BBC stations using TuneIn.)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I used to be able to start radio 4 with the voice command "OK Google, play BBC Radio 4" now this just leads to Sonos playing Radio 4 Extra. Has any one else seen this to know how to fix it?

I'm waiting on this too...

This is highly speculative, but would someone like to try the instruction "play radio 4 from the BBC".

It's based on an issue that arose on Alexa, and I don't really expect it to carry over to GA. But you never know…

(I only use Alexa, so cannot test it myself)

Or maybe try "play radio 4 from BBC Sounds"

Userlevel 2

I made the original post 4 months ago and with no sign of progress I've decided to sell my Sonos on. I waited ages for Google integration and boy what a waste of time. Coupled with frequent disconnection issues I've had enough. Anything I need to know / do to the speaker before selling it?

Pretty unbelievable to have an issue with no responses for months, Sonos are in a legal battle with Google so this must be part of it. Can’t think why they just not engaging.

Having purchased these speakers because of google assistant compatibility, perhaps they should start accepting returns?

Userlevel 1
Badge

About to buy another speaker, you guessed, NOT Sonos!

This issue also effects BBC Radio 4 LW (plays BBC Radio 4 Extra). 

This is typical of Sonos poor UK consumer support and lack of an effective complaints system. I won't buy more Sonos because of this. techzpod mobdro

I think that the only way Sonos will respond is by seeing enough purchasers complain about its lack of voice control. Please encourage anyone you know that has bought a Sonos ‘ voice activated “ product  to add to the pressure by posting their complaint.

Same issue ongoing here - hoping for a fix soon

Excited to pay a lot to have a Sonos move and then discovered that it will not play Radio 4 through google assistant. Now, after 3 months it still isn’t fixed?? 

I’ve also got this issue and I’m following to see the hopefully ‘speedy’ resolution………...

Userlevel 1

Hm.. playing BBC radio 4 EXTRA this morning - don’t know what happened yesterday, if anything.

Userlevel 2

Sorry this is still an issue for me. (14th Aug)

I remember waiting nearly two years for Sonos to add voice integration, guess it's still very much a work in progress. I know there is litigation between Sonos and Google, I wonder if this is hampering the support / service. 

Userlevel 1

Seems to be working for me now...

This is getting a bit ridiculous now - how can there always be so many issues with voice activating radio stations. Genuinely no idea why Sonos moved into the smart speaker segment without the support team to make sure the service works? I’ve had a one since it was launched and this issue has to be at least the 5th time activating radio 4 has become impossible for a long period of time.

Sort it out Sonos, people will lose patience if you can’t do the simple things right.

This is typical of Sonos poor UK consumer support and lack of an effective complaints system. I won't buy more Sonos because of this.

Just trying out a new Sonos one. Radio 4 is my most listened to station so this bug is frustrating. Seems like a simple issue with GA and TuneIn integration. I’ll try contact Sonos today.

So frustrating - same issue here, exactly as described. Watching this thread to see if/when anyone gets more info. Thanks everyone for exploring on our behalf.

I am pretty certain now this is due to Sonos defaulting to using TuneIn to stream BBC programmes. It is TuneIn that wrongly points at BBC 4 Extra, not Sonos or Google Assistant. 
When auto connection between GA and Sonos system gets decoupled, GA resorts to BBC Player and then plays correctly everything. When attempting to play BBC 4 through TuneIn, problems begin. 
This is my umpteenth issue with TuneIn, and the reason why I have removed it literally from all the gadgets I have. But when Sonos, lazily, goes to them, they needlessly introduce problems into an otherwise good system.

Userlevel 1

@James L. et al

So, over a month since this was reported and acknowledged…

Must be a tricky one.