Skip to main content
Answered

Most Recent Sonos Update has stopped Google Assistant!

The latest Sonos App Update has removed my Google Assistant.

I have tried deleting unlinking Sonos Beam and re-adding it.   When trying to add Google Assistant to Sonos Beam, Google Assistant looks for Devices.  Most times it does not find any device, occasionally it finds the Sonos Beam and then fails to add Google Assistant!  Going round in circles!   Help please!!

The Sonos App Info is Build 80.03.06-release+20240613.b0fbafe42 (and has the latest update). 

I can confirm the Google Assistant has access to my Sonos Account.

I can confirm that the Sonos Firmware is up to date.

I can confirm that both Sonos and Google Assistant are on the same Network and the Network is stable.

The Sonos Beam works with the TV and it works with third party music App and Google Assistant worked perfectly before the major Sonos App update.  I have unlinked the Sonos Beam from Google Assistant and re-linked it.  Currently get message via G Assitant that says 'No Device Found';  occasionally G Assistant finds the Sonos Beam but then says there is a problem adding GA to the Beam.

On Google Home the Sonos Beam is showing and I can control the volume on the Beam, I can Mute and Unmute, so I know Google Home is talking to the Beam but not loading Google Assistant.

I have just been on to Sonos Support; this is clearly a known problem to Sonos, I have been told…….. “At the moment the feature has not been implemented but will return in a future update.”

“The Sonos team wants to make sure that Google Assistant is implemented without issues.”

Pretty poor really!  I have tried the Sonos Assistant and it is useless.

Moderator edit: combined posts

36 replies

Right - same experience here.

Support will confirm Add Google Assistant is broken if you call them.

But I can’t find anything official from Sonos online documenting this as a known issue.

Badge

Got same issue 

We need to get this solved right now!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MichaelKil 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve been having. Although existing Google Assistant configurations already on Sonos speakers will continue to work, at present, the Sonos app is unable to add Google Assistant to a speaker not already running it. This feature will return in due course, but in the meantime, you will not be able to add Google Assistant to your speaker(s).

I will update this thread to let you know when the functionality has been restored.

I hope this helps.

“This feature will return in due course”

Here’s the thing: Sonos has zero incentive to put development dollars and time into supporting the Google assistant API. They’re betting on their own assistant. I’m sure it’s better at managing the music part of a user’s Sonos ecosystem, but many of us have come to rely on our speakers as smart speakers, adding to lists, reading recipes when our hands are dirty cooking, answering our kid’s questions about the world, and many other things not related to music. So they’ve stopped putting effort into Google Assistant. The new speakers don’t even support it, so why would they fix the API integrations they broke with the “new app experience”? They won’t. And Google assistant on Sonos speakers sucks now. If you had it before the app update, it’s now broken. If you want to add it after the app update, you can’t. So we’re left with two choices if we want smart speakers: buy Google home or some other smart speaker, or wait and hope Sonos does the right thing—the thing they advertised and sold us on when we bought our speakers and that worked fine before the amazing app update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Physicsnerd 

It looks like you just found our incentive:

the thing they advertised and sold us on when we bought our speakers

If we sold a speaker as Google Assistant capable, then Google Assistant capable it will remain.

As for Google Assistant being missing from our newer products, that is because it changed:

Google has changed the technical requirements for Google Assistant on third-party devices. We’re evaluating these requirements, but it’s a heavy engineering lift and we’ll continue to prioritize work that builds on our vision of voice assistants all working concurrently.

I hope this helps.

That’s great to hear, thank you. Looking forward to it.

Userlevel 1

Can somebody tell me if the problem with adding Google Assistent still exists?

Im not being able to add Google Assistant to a new Sonos One and a Roam in my system. It cannot find any of those products when the system searching for them. Just like it’s described in this tread.

Im on iPhone with iOS 17.5 and Sonos 80.05.04 and I’m located in Sweden. 

Its really hard to find relevant information about this.

his issue killed all of my S2 ability to use “Hey Google”. LAME!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Midens 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There is still an issue with adding Google Assistant to compatible Sonos devices with the new Sonos app, yes.

This thread has been tagged with the issue tracker and I will update this thread when the issue is known to be resolved. There is no estimate for when this might be.

Google Assistant will continue to work on Sonos speakers that it is already installed on.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your answer. Now I know for sure that the failure Google gives me when trying to install isn’t a WiFi problem.

I want also thank the Sonos team to answer all of our concerns here in the community. I for sure know that the situation is not easy for you at the moment I also know that you’re working so hard to help all of us with smaller or bigger issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

With Sonos speakers in almost every room and with one of the reasons for going with a Sonos setup in the first place was the ability to control things at home with Google Assistant, this was not the information I wanted to find...how you guys are aware of the issue but with no ETA when it will be addressed.

So, I can only hope you'll sort it out sooner rather than later or it might be time to switch to a more reliable brand.

So far, things which have been controlled in our home using Google Assistant via our Sonos speakers include the air conditioning unit, the robot vacuum cleaner, switch lights on or off, playing music or ask questions such as what the weather will be like etc etc.

All this has been working just fine for the last couple of years where suddenly, we started having some issues I was hoping to sort by deleting the link to Sonos in Google Assistant followed by adding Google Assistant back to our Sonos speakers.

This was before I found this thread and learning now I won't be able to re-enable Google Assistant to our Sonos speakers within the foreseeable future.

I think it goes without saying, I'm not particularly impressed  by Sonos right now and sadly I understand I'm not the only one.

I hope what I read from your CEO will turn out to be true, how you're currently investing all your time and resources into winning your customers confidence back ASAP.

Oh, one more thing I wanted to ask after reading this - why on earth do you still have the functionality in your app to add Google Assistant to your speakers enabled when you know it won't work?

If I would have known this is an already known issue and how it's currently not possible to add Google Assistant to your speakers, that would have saved me from hours of headache trying to accomplish something which isn't possible.

Userlevel 1

I’m a bit (!) surprised that I couldn’t find ANY official information about this matter. I was trying to put GA back on my factory reset speaker for hours before I after some more hours ended up in this tread. You can’t read anywhere about this. At least I couldn't find any relevant info.  

What I’m trying to do right now is to inform other users on Reddit and other social media channels that this function is broken just to make them aware. The problem is that you probably wouldn’t search for this kind of info until it’s to late.

Im very active at most social media channels to keep me informed of what’s going on after the realese. That helped me a lot and I’m also trying to help others if I can, but this was a really cold shower for me as well. I’m also having the GA to help me run a lot of stuff. 

I’ve got the same issue with Alexa - working fine for years, then it stopped and I can’t re-add it.  This is so disconcerting and unsettling.  To add insult to injury, it seems like all of Sonos folks from the CEO on down have developed a “party line” of non-answers to peoples’ legitimate concerns about functionality THEY broke.  I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on my Sonos system, and when I told my wife I’m thinking about dumping it, she couldn’t believe it; but, I haven’t seen an ounce of commitment (on Sonos’ part) to fixing all of the stuff they broke.  I tried the Sonos voice assistant for one day, it’s a giant piece of crap.  So, is their strategy to lock customers into an inferior solution in a space they have no business competing in? This company won’t be in business in 2 years.

An ounce of commitment? 

I’m unsure of how to weigh the (admittedly late) response from the CEO, the schedule of proposed ‘fixes’ in that response, or the current list of releases made already. 

Userlevel 1

I also think that they should disable the functionality and inform users that it’s not working (at the moment). Feel sorry when I read posts that they have tried, sometimes many hours to put it back, without success. I’ll hope some more official info soon will presented by Sonos. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Funny thing is I have been able to add GA back to the speakers but it's been a hit and miss adventure where I have no clue what made it work eventually. Also very odd when Sonos confirms it's not possible at this time.

This is only partly true though because I still have 2 Roam speakers where I have the same issue. The speakers where I've now managed to add GA back include one Arc and 2 Sonos One speakers.

Userlevel 1

I read a post on Facebook that someone with an arc  succeeded to put it back after a factory reset. I haven’t have a clue how he did it. Neither did he. So strange. Anyway, the problem is the overall lack of information. No one seems to know about things like this. Is it worth trying to get it working or not? What did you do that I didn’t? I guess we never know…

I can understand that Sonos is overwhelmed by questions and discussions like this and that’s not their no 1 to fix, and I’ll by that absolutely. The only thing is that it would be so much easier if they could inform us, even if they don’t have that much to say. Just a simple yes or no would be helpful at this time I think. But now all of us have to guess. Guessing leads only to speculations and roumors, and THATS not a good thing. At all. Come on Sonos, just tell us, what’s going on? My own speculation is that this is a security issue that they must solve together with Google and if thats true, I think that Google Assistent will be permanently removed on current speakers. Not only at the new Eras. 
I hope I’m wrong.

Userlevel 1

I managed it after a long time of trying! App version 80.06.04.

1. first remove all connections to Google Home & Assistant

2. disconnect all boxes from the power supply for at least 10 hours

3. reconnect boxes after 10 hours, switch on and set up again

4. google assistant can then be set up on the first box for me!

5. for further boxes, disconnect them from the power again and carry out steps 3&4.

This is how it worked for me today!

Userlevel 1

I’ll guess you’re on Android then? For iOS the current version is 80.06.03. I’ll try your guide, what’s there to loose. Will get back and tell how it worked out :)

Userlevel 1

I’ll guess you’re on Android then? For iOS the current version is 80.06.03. I’ll try your guide, what’s there to loose. Will get back and tell how it worked out :)

Yes Android

Userlevel 1

Didn’t have any luck with your advice. Probably because I’m on iOS. Thanks anyway 🙏

Userlevel 1

Didn’t have any luck with your advice. Probably because I’m on iOS. Thanks anyway 🙏

Maybe because of Android. But it seems that the whole system needs hours before you can connect a box. My 3rd Sonos One was resting powerd on about one day without connecting it. After one day I tried to add it and it worked! Now all my 3 boxes (2 Ones, 1 Roam) are fully connexted again including Google Assistant. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I still have a Roam which refuses to have Google Assistant added to it whatever I try.

Very annoying! 

Userlevel 1

I still have a Roam which refuses to have Google Assistant added to it whatever I try.

Very annoying! 

Remove it from your Sonos App and Google Assistant. Power it off for 1 day. Power it on and wait for some hours befor trying to add it again. If it doesn’t work, let it powerd on and wait about one day and try it again. This worked for me on Android with 2 Ones and 1 Roam.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Will give it a go, thanks buddy!