how do i stop google assistant using tunein

Userlevel 1

I listen to my music through Sonos speakers and use Google assistant on  hubs to voice control these.

Up until this week BBC radio was available on TuneIn the radio app which Sonos used to radio stations. This now doesn't work which is fine as it advised I linked BBC sounds . I can listen to the BBC through the Sonos app all good. Problem is if I ask assistant to play BBC  radio 1 on sonos the reply is " playing BBC radio 1 from tune in " this results in silence .  I've deleted TuneIn from Sonos and it's still doing it. Even if I use the command "play BBC radio 1 from BBC" it either doesn't understand or just gives the same playing from TuneIn reply.  It also does it for all stations like radio X or heart . What command can I use or change stop assistant using TuneIn ?

Thanks sarah

54 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Poking this again. UK Sonos user here, wanting to hear BBC Radio on my Sonos via google voice assistant. I need “Play BBC Radio 2 in the bathroom” to get my Zoe ball fix in the morning. 

Still no fix for this? Unlike some others here I find depending on how I ask Google Assistant to play BBC Radio 2, it will either play nothing as it's not accessible, or occasionally it plays BBC Radio Cymru 2 on TuneIn as it finds that to be a match. As a non-Welsh speaker this was somewhat surprising to say the least. If you ask it to play BBC radio 6music it doesn't do anything as obviously this has been made inaccessible via TuneIn

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, you’re mostly right, in my opinion. It is a Google problem, they’re the ones who need to fix it. Sonos doesn’t have any control over that. 

;-)

Userlevel 1

I had a reply from the Beeb:

“We’ve had a response from the product team and they have confirmed that there is currently no access to BBC streams via voice using Google Assistant on a Sonos speaker, this is currently being discussed with Google to resolve. BBC streams can however be accessed using Amazon Alexa on a Sonos Speaker.”

I spotted that one of the BBC team had posted something similar on another thread here.

Just to add my frustration to the general discontent.  I bought Sonos One speakers after hearing the quality of the sound and in the belief they work fine with google only to find, as others, that you can’t get BBC radio on them except through the app not voice control.  So infuriating and thought it was me initially.  I can see not now and agree with all others whoever needs to resolve it should do so ASAP for all our sanity.  Customers getting caught in corporate crossfire I fear.

This feels like a Google problem with a healthy dose of BBC and Sonos not being that bothered that it annoys everyone and passing the blame around. “Use Alexa” is not the answer. Get it fixed!!!

Can I pointlessly add my opinion 

it’s such a shame it doesn’t work because its perfect on my other Google devices. The G Devices use BBC Sounds and even gives you a picture for the radio station on the Google Max ( shame it doesn’t give you current listening info but it works other than that ).

I presume that BBC Sounds is another casualty of the stupid war between Sonos and Google. Like the inability to properly link Google and Sonos speakers this will just be another problem that never gets fixed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, you’re mostly right, in my opinion. It is a Google problem, they’re the ones who need to fix it. Sonos doesn’t have any control over that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Where does the knowledge “it requires Sonos to do work which is not forthcoming”, come from - when Sonos denies this and even on Google speakers it does not work.

Update: 

I have spoken with tech support and they’ve raised this as a feature request with the development team. I did say it was almost certainly already a request and could I bump that one instead but they said they couldn’t access the list). This is opened as case number **********

I have also emailed the CEO with this email:

Hello Mr Spence,

I wanted to first thank you for Sonos being such an awesome company. I always wanted to buy in to the system and have at last been able to afford to.

However I have been deeply disappointed that the main feature I wanted does not work.

I have replaced a google home speaker with 2x Sonos One speakers as a stereo pair, one with google assistant. The sound is astonishing, I love it! I was telling everyone how great this was.

However when I asked the voice assistant to play radio 2 it kept playing BBC radio 2 Wales. I thought this would be a simple location fix.

However I have now discovered it is not possible to play bbc radio stations through google voice assistant.

This is a huge issue for me as it was the main feature I wanted. I now have to get out my phone to launch radio 2, which is more faff than even an old hifi! I can imagine this sounds like a small thing to some people, but it is literally the thing I do multiple times a day every day.

There are many in the community who cannot believe this problem exists and also looking for a solution. (see here: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/issue-using-google-assistant-to-play-tunein-radio-on-sonos-6864774

I have also spoken with Sonos technical help who have opened a feature request for this, though they couldn't tell me if there was already a request (which I assume there are many of the same already).

It is case number ********.

I hope this can be fixed soon, or I will be reviewing the speakers very poorly unfortunately as they are not the same as the google home, but with good sound quality, which is what I understood they would do for me,

Moderator Edit: removed case numbers

Ha-ha! There is however a serious point. This anomaly is alienating many people. Just think you are cooking in the kitchen. Your so-called Sonos Smart speaker not so smart that if you want to listen to BBC 6 Music you have to down tools - wash your hands - find your phone - and use an App simply to get the radio. It is just bonkers! I have another cheap Onkyo Smart speaker in a bedroom - absolutely no issue asking Google to put BBC Radio on. 

Any update on this, seems to be a pretty basic function that's missing?

And is there any reason Sonos keep closing older threads on the same issue, hoping it’ll go away?

Yeah what is going on with this. Now when I say ‘ok google play radio one’ it says, ‘ok playing radio one on tunein, sorry i can't find what you asked for’ - this is really frustrating!

Same issues. Anyone found anything? I saw some complicated workarounds on another post but they looked a real pain.

Hate having to have my phone with me to get radio! 

Userlevel 1

Alas - no. My understanding (which is very limited) is that (i) it is a common problem and (ii) it is not down to Sonos. I think it is a BBC Sounds issue. Do you have the link that you used to contact them - I will add my voice and perhaps others can too so it hopefully then does becomes a known problem! 

Try reporting via: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/contact-sounds-help/#/Need%20more%20help?

I used the options: BBC Sounds - UK - Report a fault - Smart speaker - Sonos - Streaming programmes

I'm playing slow email ping-pong with them, they keep asking for small extra bits of information like firmware versions etc...

I’ve been really disappointed with my sonos to be honest. 

wasn’t aware till I bought it that it was Google assistant so you couldn’t group with other Google speakers and there would be all sorts of bugs like this. In this case sounds like a bbc issue but one of things I really wanted from the Sonos. Super annoying. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Where does the knowledge “it requires Sonos to do work which is not forthcoming”, come from - when Sonos denies this and even on Google speakers it does not work.

I’m a product manager on BBC Sounds and worked on the Sonos integration, that’s where this info comes from. We have spoken with both google and Sonos about the issue.

It definitely is disappointing that Google restricts this ability from being used on Sonos’ enabled devices.  I guess they feel the need to reserve some things for their own hardware?

Badge +1

I’m a product manager on BBC Sounds and worked on the Sonos integration, that’s where this info comes from. We have spoken with both google and Sonos about the issue.

it may be worth reaching out to google too then  as it does not work on the Google/Nest hubs either. We get exactly the same problem with them along with Google assistant as the voice service on the Sonos

Same issue here. Relived it's not just me. It's been driving me mad!

What happens if you say “OK Google, play radio one on BBC Sounds’?

Doesn’t work

My wife refuses to use an App to listen to the radio in the kitchen. This leaves me feeling bit shame-faced after investing significant money on a Play Five and a Move.

She now hates Sonos with a vengeance and takes every opportunity to castigate me for spending so much for something she can't easily use. I have now went back in time and bought a radio for the kitchen. She's happy - I'm not!

Oh this is awkward, I think we might be married to the same person 😂

Badge

I am trying to set up Google assistant on my iPhone and Sonos app. Google assistant tells me it will use otheraccounts  preferences on shared devices  but still picks up TunIn or plays Cymru2. I have no devices with TuneIn so it  really feels like this is coming ftom Google as Sonos is now working very well with BBC Sounds all be it I have to use the touch stream. 

I hope the fix comes soon but I can imagin it is not a priority ????