Google voice - sorry i can’t find what you asked for.

I have a few recurring issues with google voice and my Sonos ones. Either when I ask to play a radio station the response is OK playing xxx radio station. Sorry I can’t find what you asked for. 

Or sometimes when I ask to play artist name I get Sorry I can’t do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices. 

And sometimes this commands work… wondering if Alexa might be more helpful?

We use Google WiFi and have a WiFi point in the neighbouring room to one of the Sonos ones and I wondered if this might cause something funky to happen as I don’t think this was a problem until I upgraded the WiFi points and now have one which is voice enabled. Can anyone help? Please!

68 replies

Userlevel 2

A status update would be appreciated.

Userlevel 1

Any updates on this issue?

Please add me to the group too, @Simon B.

Diagnostic #: 911422862

Google on Sonos can’t find TuneIn or other music apps connected through Sonos. But weather, directions, any random google questions work just fine. And Google understands what I’m looking for, as it always first says, “Got it, playing [radio station] on TuneIn” before giving the sorry message. This has been going on about a month now. Possibly longer. I’ve tried the uninstall and re-install Google and that did nothing to change the problem. And nothing on my end changed to precipitate this.

Could you also please provide an update as to what is causing this issue and a potential timeline for addressing it? I’m sure all of us on this chain would appreciate that. Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This has nothing to do with your WiFi 

it is a long standing issue - just read these forums 

sending the diagnostic will not do much except make you think SONOS are working on an obscure issue when it has been reported many times on these forums for months now and can be replicated with ease. 

Hi @Simon B I’m having the same issue. I’m very technical (former Googler, actually) and happy to help troubleshoot, as this is fairly frustrating.

Context

• I live in Australia and bought my Sonos gear in May 2019
  • I have a Sonos Beam set up with the Google Assistant and Youtube Music on a subscription
  • The Beam is set up as a Sonos home theatre system with a Sub and pair of Play:1s
  • The system is part of a speaker group in my house named “All Speakers”
  • The issue started… I’m not sure exactly when, but a few weeks or months ago. Before that, I was able to use Google Assistant voice commands to make Sonos play music effectively

The problem

1. I say: “Ok Google, play music” or “play my supermix” to my Sonos Beam

2. On the Beam, the Google Assistant says: “Sure, playing music from Youtube Music–Sorry, I can’t find what you asked for.”

Triangulation and workarounds

What works

• Playing music from the Sonos (S2) app
  • Asking for anything more specific than “play music” or “my supermix”, such as “play Coldplay”, “play my chillout playlist”, “play my discovery queue” etc.
  • Controlling already-playing music. i.e. saying “Ok Google, next track” to the Beam
  • Saying “Ok Google, play music” to any other other Google Assistant device (phones, Google Home speakers of various brands, etc.)
  • Saying “Ok Google, play music on the Chromecast”: YouTube Music starts playing on the Chromecast plugged into my TV, which routes the audio to the Sonos system via the HDMI ARC port as usual. But this turns the TV on with music videos, which I don’t want (I have a toddler)

What fails:

• Telling another device “Ok Google, play music on Sonos”: the Google Assistant thinks it worked, but my Sonos is silent and the music plays on the device I spoke to instead
  • Telling any device “Ok Google, play music on all speakers”: the music plays on all speakers except the Sonos system
  • Telling any device something more specific, like “play Coldplay on all speakers”: the music plays on all speakers except the Sonos system

Troubleshooting attempted

• Removed and re-added Google Assistant to the Beam (system) via Sonos S2
  • Removed and re-added Youtube Music to the Beam (system) via Sonos S2
  • Turned off entire Sonos system
  • Sent feedback to Google and contacted them via Google One support. They confirmed this is a longstanding known Sonos issue and pointed me to this forum post, but signalled their engineers may be able to help if needed
  • Sent diagnostics. Confirmation number 1347484325

I would test other Assistants and other music providers, but I don’t use any, sorry.

Hope this helps!

So relieved to have found this thread! Yes, same problem for me, Google Assistant can play most things, just not radio stations - it’s always the “Sorry, I can’t find...” message

Userlevel 1

I started having this problem about a week ago as well. I have Sonos One Gen 2’s, Sonos Beam, Sonos Arc, all have the issue.

Diagnostic submitted, #1778073560

Sonos team, you’d save a lot of us and your team time if you could tell us how to resolve this on our own. 

Started for me on TuneIn stations about two weeks ago. Glad it's not just me! Diagnostic 2032091374

Same issue, beginning about 10 days ago. Status update, please.

Userlevel 2

An update please?

This has nothing to do with your WiFi 

it is a long standing issue - just read these forums 

sending the diagnostic will not do much except make you think SONOS are working on an obscure issue when it has been reported many times on these forums for months now and can be replicated with ease. 

I did take a look - I can see a whole bunch of people have the problem. Some have resolved but none of the resolutions offered worked for me. Shame. Disappointed. 

Hello, this is a recent issue that has just come up for me as well. I have had no problem with my Sonos ones, then added a move and I get the exact same issue as OP when asking Sonos through Google assistant. I have tried uncoupling and re-adding. I submitted diagnostics too: 2031686728. 

Very frustrating. Other radio stations will play, not certain ones. Any support would be great. 

Also, I switched this to Alexa and it works. I would like to stay in the Google ecosystem if I can though. 

Userlevel 2

I am having the same issue. It started about 2 weeks ago. Until now TuneIn/Sonos/Google assistant has worked without issue. I am getting the ‘sorry I can’t find what you asked for’ when asking for any radio station. Thanks so much.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @InlandNWuser & @aphasian, thanks for reaching out. Sorry to know that you guys have the same issue with your Google Assistant on Sonos. We’ll check and investigate this further, for the meantime, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause or any information that may help us check what's causing the issue. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Same issue here trying to connect to tunein, diagnostic # 1326254199

Userlevel 1

This started about two weeks ago for me as well.

When I say, hey Google, play KHUT.  

Got it, playing KHUT on Tunein. Sorry, I can’t find what you asked for. 

I have 9 Sonos One Gen 2, a Beam, and Arc, etc. The problem occurs across all devices.

Same problem with my local NPR station. Can play through the app but can't bet Google Assistant to play for me. Diagnostic confirmation number: 1492053890

Let us know how it works for you.

It doesn't.  I've performed all of the recommended steps and it still behaves the exact same way, as others have already reported.

IMHO, this appears to be an issue with the hand-off from the Google Assistant back-end to the Sonos system's TuneIn support.  It's not an issue with the Google Assistant itself, nor with network connectivity, microphone settings, not the specific command spoken.  Those are all red herrings.

Please escalate this issue and have your engineers continue their investigation.

Thank you.

Hi.

I called the phone support and spent quite some time with the support engineer.  He was very helpful and working together ultimately we were able to reproduce the issue on his side.  He said he would escalate it to the appropriate engineers for further analysis.

Also, we were able to determine that this happens only with certain radio stations.  For example, saying “Hey Google, play KUOW” would always fail, where saying “Hey Google, play NPR” or “Hey Google, play KEXP” would work.  We both got the same results on our respective Sonos devices.

In my opinion, this feels like an issue with TuneIn’s API that Sonos is using.  Since I can ask the Google Assistant to play KUOW on TuneIn from other non-Sonos devices (such as my Android phone), I speculate that TuneIn may have more than one version of their search API.  Perhaps Sonos is using an older one that fails certain lookups whereas the newer one doesn’t.  I can’t verify this, but it’s reasonable.

Hopefully the Sonos engineers can look at this and either take the issue up with TuneIn, or switch to a newer or different TuneIn API.

Also, to answer @perrymasterflex’s question, I am only on S2 devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also, we were able to determine that this happens only with certain radio stations.  For example, saying “Hey Google, play KUOW” would always fail, where saying “Hey Google, play NPR” or “Hey Google, play KEXP” would work.  We both got the same results on our respective Sonos devices.

In my opinion, this feels like an issue with TuneIn’s API that Sonos is using. 

This problem is most definitely NOT just related to specific channels, and it’s not limited to TuneIn.

For me at least, pretty much nothing is working through “Hey Google...” 

I get a version of “Sonos is not available right now” or “Sorry, I couldn’t reach Sonos” when saying, “Hey Google, play <Artist> on Tidal”.

It tells me Apple Music isn’t support on the speaker.

It tells me my Spotify account isn’t properly linked when I say, “Play <Artist> on Qobuz” or when I say, “Play <Artist> on Spotify.”

I’ve tried the suggested debug steps listed in the earlier post. 

I suppose I’ll reach out to phone support when I have time, which I do not have at the moment, but for now it’s pretty much a dumpster fire that used to work perfectly fine.

Months later and still no solid solution? My roam will not play anything from YouTube music (radio stations seem to be okay). This is disappointing. Might have to return this speaker for another brand.

I came looking for a solution to this issue but it looks like a Bermuda Triangle / X-files-y kind of place;

1. Users submits the problem. Same issue everyone is having.
  1. Support guy chimes in with boilerplate and request for diagnostic. Never any kind of sense that this is a known issue
  1. User submits diagnostic case number….never to be heard from here again…..

Has anyone actually gotten a fix for this?? Surely somebody must have after all the diagnostic cases submitted!

Looks like many people have the very same issue. Is Sonos working on a solution or is there a workaround? I’m facing the same problem using Deezer Premium. Thanks in advance! 

So just in case this could be useful to anyone, I found a "resolution" that at least worked for me: upgrading to YouTube Music Premium... I was using the free version and my Sonos Arc wouldn't play anything from YouTube Music, whether from my library or from asking for any genre or artist, but after upgrading to the premium version and re-adding my account in the Sonos app (the latter I had tried many times before of course), now my Arc plays whatever I ask for. Not sure if even Premium users still have the same issue anyway, but in my case it finally resolved it, so go figure.

I tried everything with Google assistant and the Sonos apps, resetting and reinstalling, reauthorizing and relinking, etc. FINALLY was able to fix this by downloading the Google Home app and adding Sonos as a device on there, I guess that was the only way. So for anyone who hasn’t tried through Google Home -- that might be your ticket.