Answered

Google Assistant room assignment PROBLEMS

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please keep us posted.

phenx,  

Your post isn’t very clear to me, but when you mention that ‘after 10 minutes the speakers appear in the wrong room’, do you mean they get renamed? … if so, then you will likely find that it is Apple HomeKit renaming the accessories back to their original names. Which means they will change rooms in the Sonos App and also your Google Home. 

If that is what is happening, then you just need to rename the speakers to the correct room in Apple HomeKit.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I had something similar happen to me.  One of the times I was relinking Sonos to GA, I started with only one speaker.   And for a few minutes everything actually worked correctly and “turn on the light” behaved as expected and controlled the room that speaker was in.   Then a few minutes later I added GA to a second speaker.  After I did that both speakers were back to misbehaving.  Wasn’t sure if it was the elapsed time or the fact that I had set-up a second speaker.

Badge

I’ll add my voice to the collective cry of frustration.

Everything worked perfectly, Sonos updated their software, now I have an annoyed wife as the Beam in the lounge turns on the lights in our bedroom.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Rooms are working (mostly) for me as well again :-)

As long as I say “Turn on the lights” it works as intended. When I say “Turn on the lights in this room” in any room it still responds with “ok, I’m turning on 8 lights (=living room)), but does nothing.

But since I never say “… in this room” I guess it’s fine.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Try “Turn on the room lights.”

Userlevel 1
Badge

phenx,  Your post isn’t very clear to me, but when you mention that ‘after 10 minutes the speakers appear in the wrong room’, do you mean they get renamed? … 

When I say “appear in the wrong room” I mean that the command “Hey google, turn on the lights” turns on the lights in another room than the one the speaker is assigned to.

E.g. saying “turn on the lights” in the bedroom and they turn on in the bedroom → correct room

Saying “turn on the lights” in the living room and they still turn on in the bedroom → wrong room

When I open the Google Home app, all speakers still show up in the room I assigned them to (bedroom speaker in bedroom, living room speaker in living room etc.). Moving them to different rooms has no apparent effect. They still all think they are in the bedroom..

if so, then you will likely find that it is Apple HomeKit renaming the accessories back to their original names. Which means they will change rooms in the Sonos App and also your Google Home. 

I am not sure how to understand this. We are talking about Sonos and the Google Assistant. How is Apple HomeKit playing a role in here? To make sure HomeKit is not somehow interfering, I just removed all Sonos devices from HomeKit and will try again. Will report back.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Next I set up the bathroom (1x Sonos One). Sonos told me in the last step that the Assistant could not be set up, after the whole wizard from GA, but still it seems to be configured and this one continues to work fine, correctly assigned. At least for more than 24h now!

I just set up the last one (1x Sonos one) in the working room and it‘s fine but I will check on it later. This time there were no errors in the setup process..

Just a quick report back: Some hours later the bathroom Sonos One also now think’s it it in the bedroom 😞 And the working room one as well.

So now all Sonos speakers behave like they are in the wrong room...

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

briguybb, Yes playing music still works, and while going back-and-forth with Sonos they kept bringing that up “...but the music plays, right?”  I opened a case with Google Home team.  They made a few suggestions which did not help and they suggested I contact Sonos because according to Google this is a Sonos issue (surprise!).   So Sonos says it’s a Google problem, and Google says it’s a Sonos problem.  In my last volley with Google I did tell them that this is happening to many Sonos customers.  Waiting to hear back from Google.

Oh and P.S. once I agreed to contact Google, Sonos quit contacting me even though the issue was not resolved.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’ve gone back-and-forth with Sonos support several times in the past few days.  Since voice control of the music playback is working all they tell me is to contact Google.  That’s it.  Wow, thanks guys!   

I tried deleting some of the rooms in my Google Home app where it seemed like GA was most confused and then recreating those rooms, but that didn’t help.  I’m going to “delete home” in Google Home app and set up everything from scratch to see if that helps. When I get to that I’ll post results here.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

THANK YOU lewesyru93!  At least now I know that I’m not losing my mind.   I have a Google Home Mini named “speaker 2” in “bedroom 2” and the lights in that room are the ones being incorrectly controlled when I tell GA on Sonos to turn a light on/off.   So I moved “speaker 2” to various rooms in my home via the GH app and viola!   My voice instructions to GA on Sonos followed it around.

Now I’m just wondering why did it break now?   Everything has been working flawlessly in my home for many months and now this.   Yes I “touched it last” when I moved a Sonos ONE to a different room.  But why now?   Hmmm...

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Unfortunately everyone in my house has already learned all the commands.  Everyone has a ceiling fan and light in the bedroom they control with “Hey Google, turn on the fan” or “turn off the light” etc.   It’s going to be a while to train everyone to say “Hey Google, turn on the fan in the mater bedroom” etc. That’s lousy.   Really takes away from the out-of-the-box functionality GA/GH provide.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you @Ryan S.   I have attempted unlinking Sonos from Google Home already (a few times).   

• I go to Google Home and unlink Sonos
  • When I do this all Sonos devices automatically disappear from Google Home
  • I am only ever able to configure Google devices as preferred speakers, so Sonos speakers were never listed as preferred.  (This keeps getting recommended, perhaps I’m missing something?)
  • Then I go to Sonos, confirm that Google Assistant has been already removed from all devices.  (This occurred when I unlinked in Google Home)
  • Then I start over from Sonos app and re-add Google Assistant to devices.
  • A few times I’ve also deleted rooms from Google Home and then recreated those rooms, but that didn’t help.

I’ve never waited 24 hours though.  I’ll give that a shot.  Curious to learn more about the Assistant cache.

I don't have tons of time to mess with this during the work week, but this weekend I thought of trying to delete my entire Home from Google Home and setting it up from scratch.  If I end up doing that I’ll report back my findings.

Badge

I tried contacting Sonos Support via Twitter. They had me send a Diagnostic, then unlink my Sonos account from Google Home, remove the Assistant from the Beam, and then add the Google Assistant back to the Beam.

Well, I’m happy to report that this time (this is probably the third time I’ve reset my home) the Beam decided that it was actually in the Lounge, and so far so good. I’ll update the thread after the weekend and let everyone know if it’s stable.

Badge

Unfortunately everyone in my house has already learned all the commands.  Everyone has a ceiling fan and light in the bedroom they control with “Hey Google, turn on the fan” or “turn off the light” etc.   It’s going to be a while to train everyone to say “Hey Google, turn on the fan in the mater bedroom” etc. That’s lousy.   Really takes away from the out-of-the-box functionality GA/GH provide.

What ceiling fans do you have?

Badge

What ceiling fans do you have?

I have regular Hunter brand fans that include a light fixture.  But here’s the good part:

• In my home there were two wall switches up to the fan junction box (i.e. “2-wire setup”).  One switch for the light, one for the fan.  
  • I did not install the remote that came with the fan. 
  • I “hard-wired” the fan to the existing electrical wires in the junction box.
  • At this point one switch controls the light, the other will turn on/off the fan (but not control the speed)
  • My fan did not have pull-chains, but if it did, the fan pull chain should be in the position for “high”
  • Then I replaced the wall switch for the fan with this:  https://www.amazon.com/GE-Enbrighten-Required-SmartThings-14287/dp/B06XTKQTTV
  • I have a SmartThings hub which will control the fan speed. 
  • I linked my SmartThing hub to Google Assistant/Home and can control the fan with my voice:
    • “Turn the fan on”
    • “Turn the fan off”
    • Note that Google doesn’t recognize the fan speeds “high/medium/low” so you have to use voice controls like it’s a dimmer.  “Turn the fan to 30%” etc.   0-30% results in low speed, etc.

Love it!

If you don’t have that kind of set-up Hunter also makes fans with Smart capabilities built-in that directly integrate with Google Assistant, Alexa, Apple Home Kit, etc.

Good luck!

I have the Hunter Romulus, but the smart home integration is terrible. Honestly, I feel like I was lied to through advertising. To talk with the fan you have to say like “Hey Google connect to simple connect app” and then eventually you can tell it to adjust the speed or light, but it's extremely tedious and I never use it.

Terrible!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have the Hunter Romulus, but the smart home integration is terrible. Honestly, I feel like I was lied to through advertising. To talk with the fan you have to say like “Hey Google connect to simple connect app” and then eventually you can tell it to adjust the speed or light, but it's extremely tedious and I never use it.

Oh my!  My set-up is direct: “Hey Google, turn on the fan.”   It’s named “ceiling fan” in the apps but it figures it out.  Also the switch remembers the last speed and will stay at that speed every time you turn on the fan, until you change the speed.

I have fans like this in all the bedroom, and then can setup macro commands in Google Assistant: “Hey Google, turn on all the fans” etc.   Love it.