Answered

Google Assistant room assignment PROBLEMS

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have Google Assistant on all of my Sonos devices.  And for the past year everything has worked great, including my integration with my smart home devices.   I can say things like “Google turn off the light” and it knows what room I’m in and does the right thing.

Today I moved a single ONE to a different room.  Re-assigned the room in the Sonos app.  Then re-assigned the room in the Google Home app.  Total chaos followed.  Now NONE of my devices know what room they are in, and turn lights on in the wrong room, or for the entire house.   I unlinked Sonos from Google Home, started over.  Didn’t help.   Then I tried moving things around to different rooms, experimented with a few things.  Didn’t help.  Unlinked a second time.  Didn’t help.    Any ideas?   It seems like when I re-link my Sonos to Google, Google still has a memory of the bad set-up.  Is there a way to totally wipe the Sonos configuration from Google and start over?  Unlinking didn’t help.

icon

Best answer by Nevyn72 21 May 2020, 22:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. All worked wel. When I was in my office and asked to turn the lights on, the lights in the office switched on.

But now when I am in the office and ask to turn the lights on, the lights in the living room are switched on.

This problem started directly after the Sonos 11.1 update. 

Also my girlfriend (different house) has the same problem.

I called the Sonos help desk and hope they will fix this problem soon

Userlevel 1

just chiming in to report that I am experiencing the same issue. all lighting related voice commands control only the lights in my family room. 

I've played all sorts of games with registering/unregistering speakers and disconnecting/re-connecting google assistant to sonos, same behavior every time.

the only thing to mention is that if I set up google assistant on the speakers one at a time (bedroom, office, daughter’s room) everything works as expected. but as soon as I set up google assistant on the family room system all voice commands only control the family room. 

Bedroom - Beam
Office - 2x Ones (L+R)

Daughter’s Room - One

Family Room - playbase, sub, one, one sl

Very similar issues here.  Bought a new One a couple of days ago, tried to set up in a new room which as moderately successful, but  the system did not respond correctly to Play x in y room via Google Assistant voice command. 

Eventually decided to set it up as a stereo pair with exiting One in kitchen.  Now keep getting `Sorry I couldn't reach Sonos`.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything multiple times (One, Sonos App, GA, GHome, even created new Sonos a/c with a backup email address).  The Assistant itself works fine if I ask it a question, so it seems to be the linkage between GA & Sonos. 

It's driving me mad.  Really hope it's related to the recent s/w upgrade and that there will be a fix soon.

I notice Sonos twitter support says they are exceptionally busy today..... 

PS. Was considering purchasing a couple of Ons SL's to create two stereo pairs, but I'm very reluctant now.  The whole GA/Sonos link thing seems so flaky. 

Great news, it just magically working again after that it didn't work for 3 weeks! The rooms where you are, are known again.

At least it now works in our house, hope the glitch stays away now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, problem seems to be solved👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good to hear I'm not alone in this: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-on-sonos-is-a-joke-6834241#post16422128

Sonos might point to Google on this, but my problems seem to have started with the 11.1 Sonos update….. 

Userlevel 1

OMG same problem here Sonos plz fix this issue asap. My Sonos Beam was working flawlessly with the google assistant controlling the light in my living room. Just a few days ago it start to taking control my kitchen lights. Everything is in a mess now…..

Hey Guys

Same problem here:

Have been having the issue for 1-2 weeks now - tried all kinds of relinking, but problem comes back within a couple of hours.

Welcome to the club!  

I've joined this too with 2 rooms! 😔

I have four devices with the same issue. “Hey Google, Turn on the lights” This turns on my four TV room lights, and not the lights in the room the Sonos is assigned. 

I did a lot of the same as the rest of you. Fully reset, and then setup the Sonos and the Google assistant, making sure to assign the correct room. Seems to work for a few minutes, and then breaks again.

I have reported the issue via email to Sonos. I specifically sent a link to this thread to point out this is an issue for multiple people. They are saying it will take up to a week to get back to me with a response.

Same problem here :/

Userlevel 1
Badge

I sent a link to this thread to the Sonos support (Germany) and just got a reply from them. They acknowledged the problem and said they are currently working with Google to get it fixed. Seems to be a problem on Googles side because they say it will be fixed with an upcoming update from Google. But they could not say when this will happen.

Userlevel 1

I have a nest hub in my kitchen, and it is my primary GA device in my house. It seems like Sonos will automatically bonded to your primary GA device in your home and control that room. I tried to move my nest hub to living room in Google Home app, and you know what, Sonos started to control my living room lights.

Then I moved nest hub back to kitchen, and Sonos is controlling my kitchen light again. And then, I moved my kitchen lights to another room in the GH app, so there is no light assigned to my kitchen, it started to control my whole home lights now…

Also, I tried to unlink and relink Sonos service in the GH app. After a few minutes the service is linked, it works properly, controlling the right lights in the right room. However, when I tried a few times more, the issue comes again.

I’m assuming that the new version of Sonos software somehow cannot contact with GA about which room it is assigned to? I’m just guessing…. Just hope it can be fixed soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S Maybe Sonos has noticed the problem too?

I’ve seen this sort of thing come up before, resolved at times by completely re-creating whole new rooms between smart devices and Home, but nothing specific or a new known issue currently that I have heard about. 

Sonos players in this situation are acting like a middle man, we don’t cache any smart home devices or systems, that’s all handled by the Google Assistant, which is why you were directed that way. 

This should 100% not be needed, but if you want to try another suggestion that’s a bit extreme, disconnect Google Home from Sonos, remove Sonos devices from Home and delete any preferred speakers in rooms using Sonos. Remove the Google Assistant from your players and system as well. Then wait 24 hours (so that the Assistant cache can be cleared), and try the set up fresh. 

I’ve also sent up your case with the support team for review so that another set of eyes can look into it. They may reach out to follow up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A Sonos employee mentioned this on the Dutch language forums too. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I use Philips Hue bulbs and they are working here okay and they are set in the same named rooms in the Philips Hue App as they are in the Google Home App .. they appear like this (see screenshot attached)… the one thing I do not do, is give my bulbs the same name as the room itself .. So perhaps give them ‘unique’ names that do not ‘clash’ with any other smart-home device or room name ...and see if that resolves things.

Thank you very much for trying to help. But unfortunately my Lights and other devices already all have names different to the room name. So that should not be the issue.

Interesting finding:

• I have 2 rooms with Google Home Mini devices. Let’s call them ROOM_A and ROOM_B. These rooms have no Sonos devices.
  • I have 5 rooms with Sonos devices. We call them ROOM_1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
  • The Google Home Mini devices work just fine.
  • All Sonos devices (ROOM_1 to 5) somehow react as if they were in ROOM_A. When I move that Google device to another room in the Google Home app, they follow. When I remove the Home Mini from ROOM_A completely, they instantly behave as if they were in ROOM_B. When I remove that Google Home Mini as well, they switch to ROOM_1… When I add the Home Mini in ROOM_A again, everything acts as if it were in ROOM_A.

One more weird thing:

Saying “Lights off” anywhere turns off the lights in ROOM_A and says so. But: Saying “Lights off in this room” behaves differently in every room (though it should do the same in my understanding):

• ROOM_A → Turns off lights in ROOM_A and says so.
  • ROOM_B → Turns off lights in ROOM_B and says so.
  • ROOM_1 → Does nothing but says “Ok I’m turning off 8 lights” (correct number for ROOM_1).
  • ROOM_2 → Turns off lights in ROOM_2 (yay), but says “Ok I’m turning off 8 lights” which only corresponds to the numer of lights in ROOM_1. But in contrast to what it says neither the lights in ROOM_A nor ROOM_1 are turned off (?!)
  • ROOM_3 to ROOM_5 → Does nothing but says “Ok I’m turning off 8 lights” (number for ROOM_1).

This is weird as hell.

I did more testing and removed all rooms from Google Home and then set them up one by one again. In the progress, it seemed to fall back to the first room I created and then as soon as I set up ROOM_A again, it was back to the previous behaviour...

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

HOOORAY!!!!   Just tried it, and everything works as it should!   Thanks for the head’s up!!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes, this is a common problem with Google. It happens every couple of months. I noticed it starting again yesterday - Google Home still shows my Sonos One stereo pair in the Bedroom, but when I tell it to turn off the light, it now turns off the Living Room light.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX THIS!

The last time this happened I tried removing the Sonos pair from the Bedroom and trying to get it back in there properly. Google Home got completely messed up, Sonos gave the speakers new IDs that messed up all my automation. It took over an hour to fix.

Working for me too!

I have just reset all my speakers, my home hub and I have turned my google assistant (which is in the kitchen) off. It started trying to turn on the living room speakers when asked to play music, having previously been linking with the Sonos unit in the kitchen properly. I theb found I couldn’t link to all of my speakers together, and some of them would drop from network. Sonos need to roll the previous update back and think agaian, I will leave the google assistant off until I see the system is stable again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. Occasional failing make your AI voice assistant seem more human. :grinning:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Same problem here.  I can’t believe how long it is taking them to fix this.  Controlling lights in a room via the Sonos One is the most basic capability and they broke it..  Why was this missed in the Sonos regression testing?

Same issue… Very annoying! 

Surely Sonos looks at these forums. What is their response to this??

Userlevel 1
Badge

So some new experiences here. I’m going to give a detailled description, maybe we can find some similarities?

Other than the Sonos I have some more GA devices: Home Mini (bedroom), LG Tv (living room), iPhone. Everything is set up in german.

Since most rooms didn‘t work any more after trying to fix this, I removed the Google Assistant from Sonos (unlinked it). I also waited 2 days to have any cache cleared. Then I started setting it up again. For setup, I use my iPhone (Google Pixel wasn‘t able to find the speakers most of the time in my last tests...).

After setting up the living room (2x Sonos One, LAN on the left one) I immediately tested it and the assigned room was correct. I repeated the test (switch light on/off) every few minutes and after about 10min, it started to fail (think‘s it‘s in the bedroom). It still fails now, more than a day later.

I proceeded with the dining room (also 2x Sonos One) and had the same experience. First ~10min ok, then wrong room.

Next I set up the bathroom (1x Sonos One). Sonos told me in the last step that the Assistant could not be set up, after the whole wizard from GA, but still it seems to be configured and this one continues to work fine, correctly assigned. At least for more than 24h now!

I just set up the last one (1x Sonos one) in the working room and it‘s fine but I will check on it later. This time there were no errors in the setup process..

Other notes:

When I move the room assigned to the bedroom Home Mini, the wrongly assigned Sonos speakers „follow“ it and think they are in the newly assigned room.

In the previous tries the speakers all went one when more than one was is listening distance („hey google“). This is NOT the case any more right now. Only the nearest one responds. Quite a relief.

So it‘s better than before, but still two rooms that are not quite right and also this feels fragile as hell.

Eiko

I have the same issue with a new Beam I just installed and had the same issue with 2x Sonos one's . If I use a GH device to control the room and have my Sonos as a default speaker it all works great great , but as soon as I have the beam as the assistant and ask it to turn off the lights it shuts them off in the wrong room.

Please fix.

Same issue for me -- I’m not sure exactly when it started, but it was sometime within the last week. This is stupid.