Cant get Sonos One to play Spotify Using Google Assistant

Just bought a Sonos one. I have Spotify Premium as my Default Provider in Google Home, it works on the 3 other google minis I have. But Sonos one keeps saying I am sorry I cant help with that, or I dont know how to do that.

If I change my default music service to Google Play Music it works perfectly ( still got a couple of days remaining on current subscription).

I have unlinked and relinked spotify on google home and the sonos app but nothing seems to work, anyone had a similar issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Posting for visibility:

We have confirmed that there is currently a partial outage with Google Assistant.

If you follow the announcement I just posted over here, I will write another response in there once we are all back up and running. Thanks for your patience.
I’m experiencing this problem right now which I haven’t experienced in my months of owning my Sonos One speakers. Every time I ask google assistant (through Sonos) to “play music”, it says “I can’t do that here, but you can ask me to play music in one of your other devices”. But when I do the exact same thing through my google home speaker, it works. Is this a Sonos issue, or is this a google issue, or Spotify issue? Or all three?

I haven’t changed my Spotify account recently. I already unlinked and relinked my Spotify account to my Sonos and google home account. I’ve already unlinked and relinked my Sonos to my google home account.

If Spotify doesn’t work on my Sonos speakers through google assistant, I’m definitely losing a shit ton of functionality and would most likely sell my Sonos speakers.
Badge
It appears to have randomly started working for me tonight with no other changes other than updating the app when I was at work today. Playing most artists on command, others require "on Spotify" on the end. I assume as the artist name isn't immediately recognised as music.

I received and email from Sonos explaining they are still working on a fix.

I did not receive the Sonos app update overnight.1

Do you have yours working @soundslave?
I do 🤔

Haha. Now I don’t. A couple of artists seem to take voice commands but nothing else does.

I do 🤔

For sure. For a premium product you’d expect premium software support.

Maybe try updating your sonos app (new update for iOS came out overnight in Australia), make sure your sonos app and google assistant are signed into the same Spotify account and then reauthorize your Spotify account from within the sonos app.
Rebooted and no dice. Pretty laughable that this still isn't fixed in over a week. It's a music speaker that no longer plays music.
Ok that’s easy, thanks. I will give it a try.

Hi...what did you do to reboot? Uninstall and reinstall or something else?

Rebooting Sonos means you just remove power, then plug it back in. Same for the Google devices. No need to uninstall/install anything.
Same here, just rebooted it and seems to be working

Hi...what did you do to reboot? Uninstall and reinstall or something else?
Same here, just rebooted it and seems to be working
Status page still says problems but I just restarted my Sonos and Spotify seems to be taking google assistant commands again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi all

There is a temporary outage that could be causing this, please monitor this page: https://status.sonos.com/
Same deal here in Victoria, Australia. Purchased 2 Play One's with the discount deal over the weekend.
As above doesn't recoginse my Spotify Premium account. Setup a trial Google Play account and got it working.
Really not good enough. These aren't cheap devices.
I have since called Sonos and they are aware of the problem. There is a connection issue between Sonos and Spotify in Australia and NZ. If you call Technical Support they will log your issue and send you a notification once the bug is fixed. At least we know there is an issue. They expect a quick fix on this thank goodness.
Adding my voice to the ever growing number of people for whom this is happening....disappointing that the best Sonos can do ATM is a weblink with a 'partially degraded service' indicator...
Got in touch with support and, over a few hours, went through a number of steps. No resolution.

Glad to know I'm not alone!
Just bought a Sonos one. I have Spotify Premium as my Default Provider in Google Home, it works on the 3 other google minis I have. But Sonos one keeps saying I am sorry I cant help with that, or I dont know how to do that.

If I change my default music service to Google Play Music it works perfectly ( still got a couple of days remaining on current subscription).

I have unlinked and relinked spotify on google home and the sonos app but nothing seems to work, anyone had a similar issue?

i have the exact same problem. Funny enough when I first set up google assistant with my Sonos Ones & Playbar it worked perfectly. Now all of a sudden google assistant on my Sonos does not know what to do. I tried through Google Play and works.
So what is Sonos doing about it? Do they ever respond? Funny you go onto their website and they are still promoting how it works with spotify etc. A bit of ‘false advertising’ at present!
status.sonos.com is STILL showing degraded performance for Spotify via Google Assistant in Australia. I first noticed that was the case on Friday night when using GA to play my playlists on Sonos One wasn’t working any more. It’s now an hour away from Sunday night and there’s been no change to the status. No way to click through from that status to more information, such as, you know, an ETA for fixing the issue. It’s not a good start for the recent addition of GA to Sonos here. It’d be nice if someone from the company would actually provide more info - I imagine there are a lot of frustrated Australian users out there.
Badge
Adding my voice to the choir of users experiencing the exact same issue. Thought it might have been as we have multiple Spotify accounts registered on the system (all under the one family account, of which my wife's is the main one), and so tried a multitude of different combinations to get it to work as well as the reauthorisation, language settings, etc, discussed above. Even had the wife install Google Assistant on her iPhone (I'm Android) and completely re-set up the Sonos One to see if that would change anything. Would call Sonos but we're at work during their support hours. Keenly awaiting any solutions from Sonos or other users regarding this.
Same issue here.... Sigh. I'm in Australia too. I was excited to set up Google assistant.
bought a new Sonos one the other day. Having the same issue with Spotify, when asking to play Spotify “sorry, I’m not sure how to help with that yet”. Everything is linked up to the same account, other commands work fine, it’s only spotify that seems to have an error.
After disappointing experiences with Alexa on my Sonos One (usually says the Spotify service is unavailable) I now have Google Assistant telling me essentially the same thing (sorry, I can't help with that).

We waited months, years for some people, for Sonos to add Google Assistant as promised, the excuse for the extended delay being "we need to get it right", and it isn't right! Not good enough Sonos!

I'm just hoping this is a temporary implementation glitch that gets fixed quickly!
Same issue here. I was using Alexa whilst eagerly awaiting the addition of the Google Assistant.

Once the assistant arrived I enabled it and set it up with my Spotify premium account. The assistant itself was working great but the Spotify integration sucked. Same issue as you guys describe above. I did manage to get it to work by reauthorising my spotify account once setup which worked for a while and then got the same can't help you problem which I constantly had to reauthorise.

If you open the Sonos app and go into Settings -> My Music Services and then tap on your Spotify account you get the "Reauthorise Account" option. Try that and it may work for you.

My main issue is that Sonos/Google Assistant only seem to be able to use the one Spotify Premium account and the two have to match on both the Sonos App/Sonos One and the account that you have your Spotify App logged in as.

Alexa doesn't have this problem which is great as I have a dedicated Spotify account setup for my Sonos One (which the family access) which doesn't mess up my personal Spotify account and playlist/history, etc.

Have switched back to Alexa while this is being sorted out.