Sonos S2 ReFresh (80.00.08) Perceived Issues_Don't Signal the End of Your Sonos Enjoyment

Userlevel 7

Hello

OK…call me a Sonos Fanboy or whatever you like. I’ve got thick skin and I’m not worried about someone showing up on my doorstep to press a point. 😂

That said I have one word of advice regarding the recent S2 refresh (80.00.08) and your valid concerns regarding missing features and that is to CHILL.

I say that as I’m confident that the majority of your concerns will be addressed and/or resolved. You’ll notice that I said “the majority” which by statement means that some concerns will not. It would be nice if the final roll-out is 100% positive to everyone’s liking; but in reality that’s most likely not going to be the final outcome.

With any software and/or OS change some attributes/features will improve, change or be removed. The ones that are removed are hopefully replaced by something better.

It goes without saying that everyone in the Sonos-sphere has a cell phone or tablet…otherwise you wouldn’t be able to use Sonos. Take a moment to think/recall if the OS on those devices are the same year-over-year; or have changes been made that were not to your liking? If they weren’t did you participate in a forum to complain about the lost feature/functionality; and if so have they been resolved/answered to you satisfaction. I seriously doubt it. 

Apple, Microsoft and/or Google/Android have rarely (if ever) made changes to their OS midstream after a new release. Please don’t confuse “bug fixes” with OS changes.

Sonos on the other hand does have an open forum where your concerns are being addressed. They are also trying to consolidate/condense them into a workable manner to speed the resolution process. Some of the major concerns have already been resolved. Here’s the link...

You have to remember that Sonos’ versatility that allows you to do many system personalization’s is also their Achilles heel. It will take a moment for Sonos to figure out generic solutions regarding the recent S2 release that will cover the majority of concerns. 

The bottom-line is to be patient. I’m confident that at the end-of-the-day you’ll be enjoying your Sonos as you were before. 

Take Care!

71 replies

There’s no risk. They just change the policy and they are good. 

Not true at all.  But don’t let that stop you from posting your FUD. 

what does this mean? Cause it says they can change the policy if they need/want to. 

Sigh . . . You need to research FTC regulations.  But I’m not getting into it with you.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Sigh 🫢 feel free to ignore then but you can’t can you🤣  Sonos already collects user data. They can’t collect new data and make it mandatory as a TOU. In addition they can monetize whatever data they are currently collecting because you’ve already consented to the collection. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In the absence of clear communication people start to speculate and the imagine the worst.

We all know that and we should take that knowledge into account before we start writing up things we'll regret after some seconds of thought. Stop speculating! Stop imagening!

https://www.ftc.gov/policy/advocacy-research/tech-at-ftc/2024/02/ai-other-companies-quietly-changing-your-terms-service-could-be-unfair-or-deceptive

https://www.ftc.gov/policy/advocacy-research/tech-at-ftc/2024/02/ai-other-companies-quietly-changing-your-terms-service-could-be-unfair-or-deceptive

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Depends is that US billion (1000 million) or imperial (million million)?  The second could be a problem 😁

Why would you care?  You use LMS, so all this criticism of Sonos app is just you piling on.  It actually doesn’t affect you one bit, right? 

Sonos doesn’t collect aggregate data if you use a third party controller? 

How do you know what I use - that's irrelevant to the current topic.  I frankly don't give a fzrt what they collect - the FSB, CIA, MI5, DND, etc probably have it anyway.  If there were a better android app than S2 I'd use that.  I use LMS because then I can access other endpoints.

I care also because I think users deserve far better than what is being foisted upon them. 

Hello

OK…call me a Sonos Fanboy or whatever you like. I’ve got thick skin and I’m not worried about someone showing up on my doorstep to press a point. 😂

That said I have one word of advice regarding the recent S2 refresh (80.00.08) and your valid concerns regarding missing features and that is to CHILL.

I say that as I’m confident that the majority of your concerns will be addressed and/or resolved. You’ll notice that I said “the majority” which by statement means that some concerns will not. It would be nice if the final roll-out is 100% positive to everyone’s liking; but in reality that’s most likely not going to be the final outcome.

With any software and/or OS change some attributes/features will improve, change or be removed. The ones that are removed are hopefully replaced by something better.

It goes without saying that everyone in the Sonos-sphere has a cell phone or tablet…otherwise you wouldn’t be able to use Sonos. Take a moment to think/recall if the OS on those devices are the same year-over-year; or have changes been made that were not to your liking? If they weren’t did you participate in a forum to complain about the lost feature/functionality; and if so have they been resolved/answered to you satisfaction. I seriously doubt it. 

Apple, Microsoft and/or Google/Android have rarely (if ever) made changes to their OS midstream after a new release. Please don’t confuse “bug fixes” with OS changes.

Sonos on the other hand does have an open forum where your concerns are being addressed. They are also trying to consolidate/condense them into a workable manner to speed the resolution process. Some of the major concerns have already been resolved. Here’s the link...

You have to remember that Sonos’ versatility that allows you to do many system personalization’s is also their Achilles heel. It will take a moment for Sonos to figure out generic solutions regarding the recent S2 release that will cover the majority of concerns. 

The bottom-line is to be patient. I’m confident that at the end-of-the-day you’ll be enjoying your Sonos as you were before. 

Take Care!

It would be great if I could even connect my devices to the app as a starter……..it’s a brick since the new app was released 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello

Take Care!

The problem is not the bugs or the fact that Sonos published new version that was useless for most people. The problem is that Sonos has steadfastly refused to admit the mistake and refuses to allow users to revert to the old version while the problems are addressed. That is inexcusable. I have already made my decision and have ordered replacements from another company with a better track record for the way users are treated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep to the subject of the thread.

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep to the subject of the thread.

Can you enlighten us when a fix for this shambles will be available? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This post is pure garbage. The old app was fine, just roll it back and throw this new POS away forever.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello

Take Care!

Sonos users didn’t end the Sonos Enjoyment. Sonos did that themselves. It’s the experience no Sonos users asks for. Sonos please keep up with great work and see how long you stay relevant or in business.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I agree - but still, I believe that 90% of the users do not even care, if they notice at all

If their music play is hampered they would notice surely? Assuming that they use their kit to listen to music. Or are 90% of users not getting affected by this chaos?

Well, you and I see chaos but others do not. Even here in this forum there are several people describing how everything still works for them. Other users I know also tell that they have not paid attention to it.

Strange but true :)

Unbelievable 

This app is pure crap

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I agree - but still, I believe that 90% of the users do not even care, if they notice at all

If their music play is hampered they would notice surely? Assuming that they use their kit to listen to music. Or are 90% of users not getting affected by this chaos?

Well, you and I see chaos but others do not. Even here in this forum there are several people describing how everything still works for them. Other users I know also tell that they have not paid attention to it.

Strange but true :)

Oh two people on the forum plus a guy you know. Your numbers definitely add up 🤣

…………...

As with everything that can boil up in some forums, there are many people who don’t even know about this - people who do not today have Sonos or do not use it very much, or, indeed, use it in a way that still works. People who roll back the update, if they can, or use the desktop apps instead of the mobile app. Or use the system as an Airplay endpoint or similar, where they don’t even need a Sonos app.

It would be nice if Sonos would get scared of all the fuss and because of that change direction and let their main focus be customer satisfaction, but I have seen no sign of that - not now and not at earlier occasions. Instead, they have learned from history that they can do anything and still keep their customers.

Hence, the presumed 90% to seemingly not care about the problems.

I visited a friend the other day who has Sonos and asked him what he thought of the app update.

He was totally unaware of it despite his (iOS) controller having automatically done the upgrade some days before - we checked that the upgrade (?) was installed - but had not noticed as he only ever uses his system to stream Spotify and uses its app to control it.

So he’s a happy customer whereas I, a devoted long-term user of a NAS based library, am very glad to have recourse to Android V16.1  on one of my controllers so as to have continued access to all the facilities the “Upgrade” has ditched.

It all revolves around your use-case and Sonos is probably dead right that “the presumed 90% to seemingly not care about the problems”, as the vast majority of new buyers will be streamers who will not have local libraries to care about.

But we, the Music Library-loving dinosaurs who have enjoyed Sonos for (in my case anyway) over a decade, will just have to keep agitating for a return of what made Sonos irresistible back in the day and up until V80 was dropped on us with all its pretentious and misleading hype and disastrous (for us anyway) delivery.

Let’s keep right on agitating until they FIX IT!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’ve been using my Sonos speakers daily for the last ten years using my iMac, iPhone and iPad with the Sonos apps to access and play songs and playlists from my local library. I don’t use a streaming service so my local music library is my sole source of music.

I have to chuckle at the title of this thread. The phrase “Perceived Issues” is  what made me laugh. That Sonos eliminated the path to the Music file for those of us relying solely on our Mac local music library is hardly a “perceived issue”. It’s a reality that renders the system useless. While I have no idea what the Sonos user split is between types of customers and operating systems and who is and whose not experiencing issues or how often, the phrase “once is a lot if it happens to you” comes to mind. 

As many contributors have noted, the biggest “issue” is the arrogance of a company that releases an app making their products unreliable at best and unusable at worst. Negative word of mouth comments can spread exponentially to potential customers. Sonos either doesn’t care or is willing to take that business risk.

Just my 2¢ . . . your results may vary.  

I’ve been using my Sonos speakers daily for the last ten years using my iMac, iPhone and iPad with the Sonos apps to access and play songs and playlists from my local library. I don’t use a streaming service so my local music library is my sole source of music.

I have to chuckle at the title of this thread. The phrase “Perceived Issues” is  what made me laugh. That Sonos eliminated the path to the Music file for those of us relying solely on our Mac local music library is hardly a “perceived issue”. It’s a reality that renders the system useless. While I have no idea what the Sonos user split is between types of customers and operating systems and who is and whose not experiencing issues or how often, the phrase “once is a lot if it happens to you” comes to mind. 

As many contributors have noted, the biggest “issue” is the arrogance of a company that releases an app making their products unreliable at best and unusable at worst. Negative word of mouth comments can spread exponentially to potential customers. Sonos either doesn’t care or is willing to take that business risk.

Just my 2¢ . . . your results may vary.  

Many moons ago, Sonos published usage figures that stated streaming from the internet was 93% of all Sonos traffic.  Which meant local libraries were around 7%.  It is very likely to be far less now, because those numbers were from the mid-2010s.  

Many moons ago, Sonos published usage figures that stated streaming from the internet was 93% of all Sonos traffic.  Which meant local libraries were around 7%.  It is very likely to be far less now, because those numbers were from the mid-2010s.  

I would also think that the Venn diagram of those using local libraries and those who complain on here, reddit, X, and/or other social media site has a pretty significant overlap.  

Userlevel 3

Well, as one who managed enterprise software development groups for some of the largest companies in the industry, I know a bad release when I see one. So ix-snay with your condescending missive. There is a difference between features (plus or minus) and functionality. And the functionality of the last release is not good to say the least. The rollout could have been handled far better with more comprehensive QA which is clearly lacking here. And the communication channels (Chat has no aviailable technicians when I last went in and phone wait exceeds an hour) is not the way to manage change. Sonos, I advise you strongly to get ahead of this. Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I would also think that the Venn diagram of those using local libraries and those who complain on here, reddit, X, and/or other social media site has a pretty significant overlap.  

Jusr stating reality and making honest observations. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

“Many moons ago, Sonos published usage figures that stated streaming from the internet was 93% of all Sonos traffic.  Which meant local libraries were around 7%.  It is very likely to be far less now, because those numbers were from the mid-2010s.”

I wonder what the size of that total customer base is is now. 

Userlevel 3

I stream exclusively so your Venn Diagram is simply a circle in my case. There shouldn’t be a debate among users here without SONOS weighing in.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It’s been a week, and I still have no answer to my simple question.  The end-of-what-day?  End of August?  November?  Perhaps a year?  Later than that?  When?

And what is your source of confidence that at the end of some unspecified date, we will all “be enjoying our Sonos system as we were before”? I have not seen a comprehensive list of needed “feature enhancements” (i.e., bugs) tracked and acknowledged by Sonos, much less a resolution date for such bugs. Since you are confident, I assume you have such a list? Please share it with us. I suspect you don’t, but I would love to be proven wrong. I really would.  I could use some confidence.

This production release is, to be generous, a “public beta” imposed on users without the technical skill, knowledge, or desire to participate in a beta program. But worse, it has been imposed by a development team ill-equipped to manage a public beta of this magnitude.  

Of course, I’m being too generous.  The real production release (v. 16.1) is unavailable to all but the most sophisticated users.  And even then, it is not available to be used by these users on purchases of additional Sonos hardware.

Please tell me what’s wrong with my assessment.