Skip to main content
Answered

Phishing e mail from no-reply@con.sonos.com

20 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The above is a screen shot of an e mail I’ve received from no-reply@con.sonos.com. It looks like a phishing e mail. If I’m correct does Sonos have an e mail address to report it to?

I've received the same email and also thought that it looks suspicious. I didn't download the images though.

I wouldn’t open anything from @con.sonos.com. While I have marketing stuff turned off on my account, as I recall, everything would come from just @sonos.com. My guess is your suspicions are correct. 

Oh, sorry, missed the question part. No, to my knowledge, Sonos doesn’t have a ‘security’ email to forward it to. I’d just throw it away. I suspect a moderator will take note of your post, and either respond here, and/or pass it along, but I think you have done the right thing. 

Note, however, there was a post this morning from the CEO. You can access it by clicking on the light green link at the top of this page, or go to 

if you trust me to post a valid link. ;)

I also received the same email as the original poster from no-reply@con.sonos.com yesterday. I marked it as spam and deleted it.

Interestingly overnight I received another email purporting to be from the CEO as mentioned above. It contains the update letter mentioned in the body of the email but it too came from no-reply@con.sonos.com so I’m puzzled as to whether it is legit or not?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @john at poulton 

Thanks for your post!

Earlier yesterday, we sent out an email that, for some, appeared blank and without a subject. This email was supposed to contain an important update from our CEO. We’ve identified the error and have resent the email to those affected.

I hope this helps.

Yes I got this email - Sonos can’t even send an email out correctly. They really need to get their act together.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks Corry P. That clears it up and also confirms that no-reply@con.sonos.com is a legitimate Sonos e mail address. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Yes I got this email - Sonos can’t even send an email out correctly. They really need to get their act together.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing, I’m sure we are not alone.

BUT an apology, only 2 months too late but none the less an apology.

Also a list of their intentions of what they plan to fix and when, so i need to stay on S2 for a few more months

July and August:

• Improving the stability when adding new products
  • Implementing Music Library configuration, browse, search, and play

August and September:

• Improving Volume responsiveness
  • User interface improvements based on customer feedback
  • Improving overall system stability and error handling

September:

• Improving Alarm consistency and reliability

September and October:

• Restoring edit mode for Playlists and the Queue
  • Improving functionality in settings
Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Here’s an odd one… got this today, is this for real? Feels dodgy as why would you request my email when you appear to have it??? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try to use a temporary email address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Here’s an odd one… got this today, is this for real? Feels dodgy as why would you request my email when you appear to have it??? 

It’s your MAILING address that has been requested, not your email. In any case, looks dodgy but it depends which email address it has actually come from. Is it from the email address per the name of this thread? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Which if it is Patrick Spence is in my Sonos account information… so they should be able to access that? 

@Corry P is this something anyone can check? email looks like patrick.spence@sonos.com

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

“submitting a Sonos diagnostic via Reddit” ?? Is that a new undocumented feature? 😂

even without asking for a mailing address that screams spam.

Obviously the from address is easy to fake and examining the chain of email servers the message was sent through should reveal more details of where it originated from.

My question would be if the email address sent to matches a specific email address you use only for Sonos and isn’t a catch all or common across you use everywhere, where did being a Sonos owner/user and a name which may or may not be accurate end up linked together, unless it’s just a general mass spam sending to existing lists hoping to get lucky with wherever it ends up delivered.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

“submitting a Sonos diagnostic via Reddit” ?? Is that a new undocumented feature? 😂

even without asking for a mailing address that screams spam.

Obviously the from address is easy to fake and examining the chain of email servers the message was sent through should reveal more details of where it originated from.

My question would be if the email address sent to matches a specific email address you use only for Sonos and isn’t a catch all or common across you use everywhere, where did being a Sonos owner/user and a name which may or may not be accurate end up linked together, unless it’s just a general mass spam sending to existing lists hoping to get lucky with wherever it ends up delivered.

Following Patrick’s Q&A on Reddit, he offered a window (24 hours I think?) where people could submit their system issue to the Sonos team and the team would specifically look into them, as a one-off goodwill offer.

So if Ian_S did that, it’s possible, however unlikely, the email is legit. 

High level spammers and hackers routinely alter the email headers, often in characteristic ways. It’s a lot of unproductive work when attempting to track them down. My business account receives too many phishing attempts. I have a filter that recognizes many of the perpetrators because they tend to use (purchase) the same phishing apps. My filter returns a rejection code to the server. It’s interesting that there is some quality control along the way because most of the perpetrators give up after a while. Hyjacked systems have probably relayed many of the messages. My rejections get noticed by hijacked system administrators and they’ll block their link in the chain. I don’t waste my time attempting to track the chain of relays.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@Rhonny interesting. You’d have hoped a carrot would have been mentioned as an incentive to get more people to submit, so it then wouldn’t be a surprise to receive an email. Although with the speed spammers work at these days that could have backfired.

@buzz I don’t disagree and rarely investigate headers unless I’m occasionally curious and know what good looks like. The spammer and botnets have become far more sophisticated than they used to be. Not just for email, but also website attacks.

Userlevel 7

@Ian_S The email is legit. On Reddit, Keith from the Sonos team confirmed its authenticity. I would definitely send your mailing address as I believe the “token of appreciation” will be significant.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Maybe I should have just submitted an issue on Reddit rather than spending the last few months helping countless people with theirs on here.

Any recognition for that, Patrick….? No? Cheers.