Answered

complaint about the End of Software Updates

• 22 January 2020
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

just received my " 30% off special deal " e-mail from Sonos ...
in the past year iv spent £2000 / £2500 grand on their expensive kit for all over my house
Why ? cause it worked straight out of the box with no complications for me or my kids ...
Not ever was i told at the point of sale that my kit would self break and be worthless as a working hi-fi
What this tells me is ... i need to quickly sell all my kit on the "bay" and try and recover some of my investment
Do not EVER buy any of their kit ever again as all the new kit will eventually go "bricked " once again
What a greedy stupid decision from Sonos ... just to make even more money in my opinion

PS

Just looked on the "bay" and all the second hand prices have collapsed !

update

What a massive storm on the internet ... so much anger ... could be the makings of a horror movie !
I wish i was a fly on the Sonos boardroom wall ... what a self inflicted total nightmare .
But seriously ...
It doesn't matter what Sonos does or says now ... the Sonos brand is now very toxic if not dead !
Even if they roll back everything to "as was" I for one will not be buying any more of their kit.
I have lost all trust in the product and the company. I realise if it goes bust nothing will work
but i consider my existing kit as worthless now anyway ... even if i bought new ... it will eventually go "Legacy"

SONOS = LEGACY = SCRAP . Lets call it what it really is !

This whole Sonos debacle has made me realise that any Internet connected hardware from any company is time limited.
Why spend top money on the best products { which Sonos was } when a cheaper alternative is available
When it goes "Legacy" i wont lose so much of my hard earned money if i buy cheaper ...

PS

I hope that if it does go bust all the hard working innocent staff get re-employed in any Sonos alternative company .

They are the ones who will really be paying the price for this crazy stupid mess ....

Yours

A Totally 100% angry pissed off disillusioned never ever again former Sonos advocate

Userlevel 2

A good lesson on how to trash a brand in a week. Legally no company is formed to help its customers, all are formed for the benefit of its share owners, but do u really think your shareholders will thank you for trashing their brand?

Userlevel 2

Just want to add my voice to the righteous anger already on display. I invested a lot of money in my “legacy” system thinking it was a quality investment. I am keenly watching what happens next and waiting to see if the Sonos brand becomes toxic.

Userlevel 2

Totally unsustainable policy in every sense of the phrase. I was a Sonos evangelist but as of yesterday became the opposite. Feel betrayed

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sonos have made it clear that they will only support their products for 5 years after they stop selling them.  BIG MISTAKE.  This could be akin to the Ratner Jewelry debarkle and will be studied in business schools for many years to come as how destroy a loyal customer base with one simple email….

Hadn’t heard the Ratner story before, very interesting, and good food for thought for Sonos. Here is a summary: Ratner Story

Userlevel 2

Sonos have made it clear that they will only support their products for 5 years after they stop selling them.  BIG MISTAKE.  This could be akin to the Ratner Jewelry debarkle and will be studied in business schools for many years to come as how destroy a loyal customer base with one simple email….

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I appreciate the sentiment KinPin. What I’m saying is that you should expect that Play:1 to get software updates for at least five years after when we last sold it, which is our commitment for supporting players.

Also, that legacy devices, even after they’ve stopped getting software updates, will continue to work as mentioned:

...they’ll keep on working as they currently do, just without updates. Eventually some features that are reliant on connected services will stop working and they won’t be able to get new features.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Ryan S ”Play:1 was only just recently no longer sold.” - in light of what just happened, you are in effect saying that I can expect my Play 1 to be bricked in five years. Your products have gone from investment pieces to perishable goods. You cannot charge the same price for that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing your feedback, everyone. We’re listening and answering what questions we can in the main thread. Let’s try to keep the discussion for this topic in one place.

We’re committed to supporting players for 5 years after we stop selling them and have a track record of supporting them for far longer than that. The Connect:Amps which are moving to legacy in May came out in 2010, and the newer version of them from 2015 is still considered a modern unit. These older devices just don’t have the needed hardware to keep up with the demands of the software coming later this year.

As to the Play:1 and Sub you mentioned, the Sub is still sold today and the Play:1 was only just recently no longer sold. These devices do have the needed hardware specs for what’s currently planned and don’t have any listed legacy flag for them right now.

It’s also worth noting that if you have legacy devices, they’ll keep on working as they currently do, just without updates. Eventually some features that are reliant on connected services will stop working and they won’tbe able to get new features.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

That's the point

I'm scared to purchase any more kit as it will eventually all become obsolete

I bet Sonos have lost millions of old and new customers for this crass decision

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also will be refraining from purchasing any new Sonos products.  How long before my (multiple) PLAY:1s and Sub are flagged as “legacy” products?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

well said . I also will not be upgrading and NOT be buying any other Sonos products