Question

A huge step backward--what are you guys thinking?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

280 replies

Yes. Petty whining.

Not to mention constantly complaining that Sonos doesn't enact a technically unsupportable, financially unviable policy of developing, maintaining, and allowing for release every software version ever made going back over a decade in order to placate the wishes of a tiny fraction of its users who want to remain frozen in time but not lose any functionality, while still being able to add new devices. This insane request has nothing to do with not liking a support site, and has everything to do with . . . (now saying it a third time) - Petty whining!

Not even a remotely accurate description of my position. My recurring theme in every thread has been that Sonos needs to find a way to prevent disruption in large installations where frequent hardware obsolescence (controllers) or feature changes (players unintentionally coming off local mute due to a group volume change) simply do not scale well and cannot be managed the same as they are for somebody with only 3 or 4 Sonos zones.

If some of the suggestions for how they might do that are impractical then fair enough, I'm fine if they pick some other way to address this as long as they do address it. As far as this issue being petty, I'd say no more (or less) so then the current concern over the changes to the queue. What is important vs. what is petty seems to vary based on whether the feature in question is used by the person handing out the labels... which was the point I was making in the earlier post.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
... constantly complaining ...
Do as I say, not as I do.
Yes. Petty whining.

Not to mention constantly complaining that Sonos doesn't enact a technically unsupportable, financially unviable policy of developing, maintaining, and allowing for release every software version ever made going back over a decade in order to placate the wishes of a tiny fraction of its users who want to remain frozen in time but not lose any functionality, while still being able to add new devices. This insane request has nothing to do with not liking a support site, and has everything to do with . . . (now saying it a third time) - Petty whining!
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
... petty whining ...
Oh jeez, give it up. The fact one poster may find a current situation to be unacceptable does nothing to legitimise another's complaints about something else. People can find one thing an imposition and still find other things to be petty whining. This especially applies when comparing complaints about a support website vs. the actual software being supported. That's not even apples and oranges, it's apples and orangutans. :rolleyes

Not very impressed either by the changes imposed in recent software revisions. They seem more geared to new customers, with scant attention paid to the needs of the older and longer term Sonos client base. Lots of promises to pass on comments to "the team", but nothing very much ever happens.

When an earlier update a few years ago caused problems for people with large Sonos installations I got very little sympathy here on the forum. Back then I predicted that eventually Sonos would change something that my critics would find unacceptable and then they would see how it feels to have features they were happy with get disrupted just to appeal to new users with no attention paid to the needs of existing customers. I think with this most recent change many of those people are finally seeing that this is indeed the case.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Well said TJRL! My enthusiasm for my Sonos has been well and truly trashed since the move from the previous forum to "this Community thing". Riddled with spam, it no longer stokes my urge to post on it, which I used to do quite regularly. Why Sonos continues to stick with Insided I just cannot fathom! I note that Kenneth R (the original and main proponent of this new board) has mysteriously vanished from the Sonos scene. I suppose it's too much to hope he is quietly beavering away in the background to fix its myriad shortcomings?

Not very impressed either by the changes imposed in recent software revisions. They seem more geared to new customers, with scant attention paid to the needs of the older and longer term Sonos client base. Lots of promises to pass on comments to "the team", but nothing very much ever happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I just received a community survey and directed them to this topic. Lets hope someone has noticed a nosedive in community activity and actually plans on doing something about it sometime soon.
As it's now a year since this board debuted I somehow doubt it's going to receive anything like the remedial attention demanded. Maybe it's headed for a complete overhaul/replacement?

Apart from the odd thread with some earnest discussion this 'community' is now mostly a support site. Part of that may be a simple reflection of the changing demographic in the user base, the amount of time/money/commitment the user is willing to expend, and the fact that for longstanding customers Sonos 'just works'.

I have come back after being away for a "few" months and still not change, despite the promises. I love Sonos and I loved the old site (now long gone it seems) but this Community thing is just pants.

I used to check the Sonos forum every day without fail unless out of the country, now I go months and months not looking in because when I do I cannot find anything interesting to look at. A forum for interested users and a support site for support questions how hard is that? Not very we had it a year ago!
Apologies Ratty, i answered the question of the wrong person, sorry no offence meant.
Hi Ratty, you didn't look very far for the password change did you, have a swift eyeball in your profile and voila it's top of the list.
Excuse me? I don't recall commenting on the password setting mechanism.
Hi Ratty, you didn't look very far for the password change did you, have a swift eyeball in your profile and voila it's top of the list.
I just received a community survey and directed them to this topic. Lets hope someone has noticed a nosedive in community activity and actually plans on doing something about it sometime soon.
As it's now a year since this board debuted I somehow doubt it's going to receive anything like the remedial attention demanded. Maybe it's headed for a complete overhaul/replacement?

Apart from the odd thread with some earnest discussion this 'community' is now mostly a support site. Part of that may be a simple reflection of the changing demographic in the user base, the amount of time/money/commitment the user is willing to expend, and the fact that for longstanding customers Sonos 'just works'.
I do hope Sonos isn't paying InSided much for this incredibly poor system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The shortcomings of the InSided platform have been called out in detail and in various locations. Here we are 6 months since inception yet still stuck with basically the same features, give or take a bit of tinkering round the edges and a grafted-on attempt at highlighting unread posts on a per-subforum basis.

Is there actually any development going on at all? Forgive me but I have my doubts. On the face of it we're lumbered with a bespoke wheel reinvention with missing spokes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

PS - Does anyone know of a better way to reference earlier posts other than my ham fisted "(near the top of page 8)" attempt at the start of this post?
PPS - Ratty, how did you embed the link to the other thread?

in the top right of each post is a small icon looking like a figure of 8 /chain link. Click this (or right click and copy) and it will give a link directly to that specific post and page.

A bit like this to your post 'near the top of page 8'

https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index8.html#post15995484

This site really continues to be very poor as a community platform as is really missing the most basic of features like the ability to go directly to the unread posts in a thread or sort/narrow search results according to ANY criteria at all !

Nicka99, many thanks for the info on how the 8 /chain link works much appreciated.
Incredible. The email notification piece is no longer working again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Do you have to go to the first page of a thread and then select the last page? Winds me up but not had the inclination to create something and ask.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

PS - Does anyone know of a better way to reference earlier posts other than my ham fisted "(near the top of page 8)" attempt at the start of this post?

in the top right of each post is a small icon looking like a figure of 8 /chain link. Click this (or right click and copy) and it will give a link directly to that specific post and page.

A bit like this to your post 'near the top of page 8'

https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index8.html#post15995484

This site really continues to be very poor as a community platform as is really missing the most basic of features like the ability to go directly to the unread posts in a thread or sort/narrow search results according to ANY criteria at all !
nevermind
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ratty, I was working from the posts earlier in this thread from 2 months ago (near the top of page 😎 where Ryan S replied to my post with:-

""TJRL wrote:
Is there anyway to sort "Activity since last visit" searches by subject area rather than date order?"

Good question, there isn't currently extra sorting options on that list but I like where your head's at. I'll pass the suggestion on for you. We'd like to make it easier for all the regulars, so believe me it's something on our to-do list. I don't have any specifics right now, but we will let you guys know as soon as we have more."

So whilst I agree this is not an actual commitment that this platform to be retrofitted with the kind of basic board facilities we used to enjoy, in regard to my request to be able to sort "Activity since last visit" searches by subject area rather than date order, he did say "so believe me it's something on our to-do-list".

I do believe Ryan S which is why I keep looking back here every 4 weeks or so to see if it has happened yet.

I guess I am just waiting for this (now not so) new style forum to get back to the usability / functionality of the original one.
In that case I suspect you could be waiting for ever:
https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/community-platform-updates-6731275?postid=15969962

There's never been any commitment that this platform would be retrofitted with the kind of basic board facilities offered by the old vBulletin forums, or even Ask/GetSatisfaction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ryan, many thanks for the update, I guess I am just waiting for this (now not so) new style forum to get back to the usability / functionality of the original one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Another month has gone by and it still seems nothing has been improved in the last month or did I miss something?

You missed some great discussions, but no major website changes happened on the community in the last month. We're looking to make improvements, but don't have a timetable for any right now. I'll update you when there are any changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Another month has gone by and it still seems nothing has been improved in the last month or did I miss something?