SONOS are you reading this? Please put the controller queue function back how it was!

• 12 September 2016
  • 353 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
I've downloaded version 6.4 of the app. What a mistake. To anyone who is about to do it, DON'T DO IT IF YOU LIKE YOUR QUEUE.

Sonos please put it back how it was. This new app is so awful I am considering selling my entire Sonos rig (6 pieces!) and walking away from you, after what was until this week, many happy years.

Touching on a track because I want to play it, or add it to the queue (the queue that I DID WANT), does not mean I want to delete the whole queue and replace it with the entire album (which I DON'T WANT) which the newly added track comes from.

If I wanted to delete my queue, I would delete it. If I wanted to add the whole album, I would add it using the play all function.

You've just taken something intuitive and user friendly which worked so well and turned it into a worse than hateful mess.

PLEASE UNDO THIS AWFUL, HORRIBLE CHANGE.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

353 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There were complaints during beta but Jose were for the most part ignored (except for adding play now back - which actually made things worse unintentionally).

I don't know if Sonos is ever going to respond to the issues. They don't have a great track record when it comes to customization allowances for customers. It's kinda a take it or leave it approach.

Having used the new controller for some time now it is fine when t comes to a single user. The changes do make playing songs faster if your just a single user of the system. Problem is this is a multi user system. The new version fails when it comes to using in a multiuser environment. They need to look at providing some type of party mode to protect the queue when there are multiple users of the system. This isn't a new request. Even before these changes not having a party mode was an issue. What they need is a way so a controller can activate Parry mode. Once party mode activated only that controller can group rooms change volume or manipulate override the queue. Not simple but what Sonos needs to secure its place as not just a system for individuals but the ultimate system for parties and groups.
Userlevel 2
While this thread is trending towards the dramatic, this update is in fact *incredibly annoying,* leading me and many others to take the time to comment.

As a long time supporter and early adopter of Sonos there have been more improvements than missteps, but this change in the the latest iteration of the app is really quite frustrating if not maddening. We would much prefer the prior process whereby playing a selection adds it to the *end of the existing queue,* by default, and then and plays it, leaving the queue in tact.

Thank you.
Yep, as noted previously in this thread, this is definitely Sonos' "New Coke". Hope they realize their mistake and revert back to Coke Classic soon.
Please Put back the option to add individual songs to the queue. I hate the fact it adds entire playlists or album a that you have selected an individual song from. It has spoiled Sonos for me and if not fixed I will look at moving from Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To play an inividiual song instead of clicking on the song click on the ... to the right of the song. Not saying good method but that is the way currently have to do it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
There were complaints during beta but Jose were for the most part ignored (except for adding play now back - which actually made things worse unintentionally).

I don't know if Sonos is ever going to respond to the issues. They don't have a great track record when it comes to customization allowances for customers. It's kinda a take it or leave it approach.

Having used the new controller for some time now it is fine when t comes to a single user. The changes do make playing songs faster if your just a single user of the system. Problem is this is a multi user system. The new version fails when it comes to using in a multiuser environment. They need to look at providing some type of party mode to protect the queue when there are multiple users of the system. This isn't a new request. Even before these changes not having a party mode was an issue. What they need is a way so a controller can activate Parry mode. Once party mode activated only that controller can group rooms change volume or manipulate override the queue. Not simple but what Sonos needs to secure its place as not just a system for individuals but the ultimate system for parties and groups.

An excellent suggestion. There is, to my mind, an actual need for such a function now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Please Put back the option to add individual songs to the queue. I hate the fact it adds entire playlists or album a that you have selected an individual song from. It has spoiled Sonos for me and if not fixed I will look at moving from Sonos!

It never went away. It only moved to the three dots at the side. As the screens you flipped through following the update described the changes to you.
The function of the three dots has now changed in all appearances of them.
An excellent suggestion. There is, to my mind, an actual need for such a function now.

It's been suggested dozens of times before, both in this and the beta testing thread. Ironically, the suggestion most often came from the people you've been yelling "RTFM!" at for the last few months. :rolleyes
To play an inividiual song instead of clicking on the song click on the ... to the right of the song. Not saying good method but that is the way currently have to do it.

They probably should have reversed that and buried the "select a whole album" under the three dots.
Userlevel 2
Very frustraing change. The only reason I left my Sonos system on 24-7 was to preserve the queue that I'd built up over weeks and months of listening. Shouldn't really need to post on an internet forum to find out how to play and entire album without it destroying my queue but if anyone could let me know how to do this it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Shouldn't really need to post on an internet forum to find out how to play and entire album without it destroying my queue but if anyone could let me know how to do this it would be much appreciated.
If the queue is exhausted (ie. it has completed playing all of the prior contents), you have to press the 3 dots (or the down arrow on the DCR), and use Add To End of Queue, and then scroll back through the queue, until you find the first track of the new album. Then you simply tap on, or double click, that track.

Sonos call this new feature "Listening out loud just got easier."
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It's been suggested dozens of times before, both in this and the beta testing thread. Ironically, the suggestion most often came from the people you've been yelling "RTFM!" at for the last few months. :rolleyes

And the update is how old? A few months?
Which applied to the situation THEN. The situation NOW is different. RTFM still applies. NOTHING has changed there.
The other difference is between a knee jerk rant (RTFM) because something is different and a measured, considered calm opinion after using the system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Very frustraing change. The only reason I left my Sonos system on 24-7 was to preserve the queue that I'd built up over weeks and months of listening. Shouldn't really need to post on an internet forum to find out how to play and entire album without it destroying my queue but if anyone could let me know how to do this it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

If you mean not deleting your queue.
The three dots at the top right of the album give you the options to play now, play next, add to end which inserts the album into your queue either now, next or at the end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't need to RTFM and used it enough all along to give an informed opinion of the pittfalls of the current release.

Which applied to the situation THEN. The situation NOW is different. RTFM still applies. NOTHING has changed there.
The other difference is between a knee jerk rant (RTFM) because something is different and a measured, considered calm opinion after using the system.

I had been using the new release for months during the beta by the time you posted your first decidedly condescending RTFM. So I was more than capable of giving a measured, considered, calm opinion. I said it then, and I still say it now; you can take your FM and stick it where the sun don't shine. It has no bearing on the like or dislike anyone has for this release. Time to spit the binky, BoB. It's worn quite thin. Find a new shtick.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I had been using the new release for months during the beta by the time you posted your first decidedly condescending RTFM. So I was more than capable of giving a measured, considered, calm opinion. I said it then, and I still say it now; you can take your FM and stick it where the sun don't shine. It has no bearing on the like or dislike anyone has for this release. Time to spit the binky, BoB. It's worn quite thin. Find a new shtick.

Guys I really don't know why you waste a single ounce of energy to respond to that individual. I realized a long tome ago that it makes no sense. Some ppl just aspire to annoy. My advice.......IGNORE COMPLETELY!!!
SO frustrating; having entire albums added to the queue when one song was wanted. Cutting off existing song when something was lightly touched by accident. I would much rather have the old system back, or at least a slightly cumbersome "Confirmation" pop-up asking if I meant to do whatever the hell Sonos is going to do to me. At least I can stab at the NO.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
243 posts and no response from Sonos?
Can we not just be given a option to either start playing a track immediately, or to give the old options? This would have made the most sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If the queue is "edited" I have never understood why the dumb pop up message. Why not just give the queue options as normal.
Badge
I have to DIVE for my phone now when a new person tries to add a song to the queue - I came back here hoping that there was some sort of resolution. I am honestly really surprised. I was very happy with my system until the update that broke it. Can we just get a legacy rollback?

I wouldnt be great if someone makes some sort of 3rd party replacement for the actual player itself. I think ive lost like 8-10 playlists now due to this new change.
Supposedly the next update to version 7 fixes a lot with the queue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Supposedly the next update to version 7 fixes a lot with the queue.Really? Such as?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Really? Haven't heard even a whisper myself that they have been listening regarding the queue issue at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
dgtlhybrd - there are alternate Sonos controllers available such as Sonos Phone that don't have the issue with the new official controller. The only negative with those is that you don't get the universal search of services (you have to go into each service like the old days to look for a song).