Answered

system disappearing after app 80.04 update

Userlevel 3

After updating my system with the latest app (80.04) my system has vanished, including arc and surrounds, every room that had a speaker isn’t showing up. Even when I try and add an existing speaker I get an error. 

after using the previous app for years it has been very stable and these issues popped up right after update, not sure if anyone else is seeing these issues. 

icon

Best answer by Vincen_t 8 May 2024, 20:09

View original

79 replies

The new Sonos app is becoming so frustrating to use. Since 80.05.04 I have lost all my system settings as of today 26th July.

My playlists have disappeared. My library has gone so I can no longer access any of my music (I don’t stream) My 2 stored Radio stations have disappeared and the app cannot see 5 of my speakers.

SONOS LET US USE version 16.1 until you properly fix this pile of crap you’ve released. Why do I have to wait to Oct to be able to use playlists again!!!! Give the customers what they are asking for which is access to the old app. Keep them happy while you fix your issues.

Yours Mr Angry

I had the exact same problem. Support told me to reset my system and create a new one. It’s really annoying as I have all my devices setup on my smart home software as well. And also just setup a new home not long ago so I now have to go through this long process with 5 x speakers around the house all over again. This new app has been a real terrible release. I hate to say it but someone will probably get fired over it

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Igro: So what does this mean? I have a a number of the listed speakers. Are you telling me I can no longer connect them at all?

You can, but only when, at least, one of the speakers is wired to the router. Other than that - no. These older speakers won't see a list of available WiFi networks anymore (even when speakers are wired). From the link in the previous post, seems like it was their informed decision.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Igro: So what does this mean? I have a a number of the listed speakers. Are you telling me I can no longer connect them at all?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Seems like they have removed this option altogether (connecting to wifi):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/issues-during-wireless-setup

Unsupported products

Currently, the Sonos app can update WiFi settings on Sonos products that are capable of using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Some Sonos products don’t have BLE capabilities, so the Sonos app will not be able to discover them in order to update their WiFi network information. These products are:

• Connect (Gen 2)
  • Connect:Amp (Gen 2)
  • One (Gen 1)
  • Play:1
  • Play:3
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Playbar
  • Playbase
  • Sub (Gen 1)
  • Sub (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)
  • SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 1)

Installed the new version of the App and lost my entire system and all my settings. Had to totaly reset al my devices and create a new system and add all my devices again and configure every setting in the app like for instance my favorite radio stations, voice service and surround system. Had to use my girlfriends Iphone to add my sub mini because the Android app crashed every time I tried to add it with my Galaxy S23

This new SONOS app totaly sucks.

Thanks for the info but it did not work for me.  Seriously disappointed in SONOS.

I just added this to another post about the same issue. Hopefully it may help at least some of you since it worked for me after the same issue:

I (fortunately) only updated App on one device (iPhone) and it was giving me the “devices not available” message. Old app still worked on non-updated devices. On updated iPhone I could see the “your system” screen for a few seconds when turning on app before going to the “not available” screen.  After a few days of frustration and searching for a solution I was about to give up ( I have 13 Sonos devices). I happen to be looking on the iPhone with the update app and after a Oh, what the “Heck” moment did something that allowed it to work. Hopefully this may help a couple of you. I won’t claim this is THE solution, but I’m hoping it may at least help a couple of you. Enough typing.

Go to account setting on Sonos app (top right, person in circle).

In account setting, scroll down to App Preferences.

In App Preferences, scroll down to and tap Reset App and click on Reset.

I got the message that it found all my devices not being shown before on the update and reconnected them through the app.

Again, hopefully this may help some of you.  Good luck!.

It’s a really big shame because it was such a great product and they killed it with horrible software upgrade.

Hello, 

My Experience: I had this experience occur over the weekend.  First all my speakers at the bar (5 total inc sub) stopped working completely.  Sonos support is closed on the weekend.  With an issue like this they should be 24x7.  So I did all the necessary troubleshooting on the sonos support website.  After neither of those worked, I called the Sonos support & also joined sonos chat to see which was faster, from my PC.  The phone call answered first which took 1hr 38mins to be exact.  That was almost 2hrs of wasted time that I can’t have back, because the technician was useless. 

All of my speakers are mounted, except the Sub (Gen3 & Mini).  They wanted me to read to them the pin code from the bottom of the speaker. LMAO!!!!  I can’t it’s mounted to the sonos bracket. I was told well, sorry we really can’t do to much, so he had me go back (I already did this over the weekend)
to support> missing room> add speakers He told me since were on the phone the speakers can’t record any sound.  I advised him I did this prior without no phone call, & it told me it can’t record to contact support.  Which is why I’m on the phone with you sir.  He told me there’s nothing they can do.  Now I’m livid, because I had this for only 6 months and like many of you I spent a pretty penny of my hard earned money. And now there’s nothing you can do???? So I said ok, I’ll figure it out on my own. Sure enough I did. 

Resolution: Glad my brother stopped by.  I found out how to factory reset each of the speakers including the beam / arc.  Since all 8 except Sub (Gen3 & mini) my speakers are mounted it def req a 2nd person.  After I factory reset I had to then setup the speakers in the Sonos app and join them back together again, as if I’d just purchased them from the store.   So that’s the resolution folks factory reset each speaker. I sure hope this helps everyone.  Just when I was thinking about purchasing the Sonos headphones and patio speakers this happened.  I won’t be spending anymore money on this brand.   I’d never recommend Sonos to anyone after this huge collapse and their non-technicality reps.  

I used to rave about the Sonos app but no more….now POS.  Nice work, not!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m literally speechless on it all……….It’s not just ineptitude it’s unbridled ARROGANCE! 

I have over 300 clients in the UK, to whom I’ve ensured plenty of warnings for when they’re upgrading sound systems!

I’ve reset my Sonos devices a couple times now. Re-created my network to only have the system work for an hour and then the app looses it again. My Sonos app on Android phone can’t see the system, the OSX app looses the system as well.

It’s been over a month now and this still the worst software update that has made my Sonos home system the most expensive dust collectors.

I was just about to order their outdoor speakers for my back deck and I was very interested in giving their headphones a shot but after this, I’m pulling Sonos out of my home, this just isn’t worth it. The hardware folks at Sonos know what they are doing, great hardware. They have to be pissed that the software team has completely ruined the companies reputation.

This will be a masterclass on how to ruin a company with poor software practices and how very poor communications. The CEO and head of software needs to be fired.

All my speakers were removed also. An estimated hr+ wait for a human after dealing with their AI answering service. They went from a simple easy to use app to a bunch of crap that so far has made nothing easier.

Userlevel 2
Badge

After updating my system with the latest app (80.04) my system has vanished, including arc and surrounds, every room that had a speaker isn’t showing up. Even when I try and add an existing speaker I get an error. 

after using the previous app for years it has been very stable and these issues popped up right after update, not sure if anyone else is seeing these issues. 

As per an earlier Poster, I finally resolved the room dropout issue by firstly powering off all Sonos Amps, then re-booting the BroadBand router. Once I powered up the Amps, they all reappered (very slowly), now perfect, as follows:

Many thanks to the OP :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can everyone please email Patrick Spence =  ceo@sonos.com  and complain, not only about the buggy app release but also that Sonos appears to be staying silent so we have no idea if/when a fix is going to be available.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have just spent nearly 3 very frustrating hours trying to help a friend with his Sonos system (just 4 Play:1 speakers) which had curiously suddenly disappeared from the app on his phone. He is not at all techie, the system was playing music and the only way to stop it was to use pause button on speaker or unplug.

I spent AGES trying to connect to his speakers, factory resetting, going through setup, it would see the speaker, connect to the local speaker wifi, fail, ‘try another way’, connect again, fail, try network cable, fail. I rebooted the router, the phone, tried another phone ….

During the process I kept seeing a Sonos Ray and another Sonos speaker which my friend doesn’t own appearing, so I decided to change the SSID and password of his network. I set about factory resetting each speaker in turn and, connecting using an ethernet cable, I was finally able to get three added to his system. Halfway through adding the fourth speaker, the entire system disappeared again. I could not get it back, restarting app/phone etc. didn’t work.

This has to be the awful new app. I just don’t know what else to try. Meanwhile, I can only lend my friend a bluetooth speaker as he lives alone and really misses being able to listen to his music.

System also disappeared with latest app update. Did a factory reset and it ended up worse, as the app can't even locate the Soundbar while in factory reset mode. 

Still waiting for Sonos to fix this!!!! I thought I had it cracked last night. I managed to add my Roam and actually had it playing, then I woke up this morning to find it had disappeared from the App again 🤬🤬🤬

How is is possible that this arrogant company doesn’t even find it necessary to apologize here?

They simply deliver constant s*** and have their customers go through it, simply because their software teams are complete morons. Sonos? Hello? Anyone caring at all about this? Or did your CEO also prohibit you to show weakness? Maybe to buy another Yacht from the savings? What bulls*** this is. We should be sueing them. A nice class action lawsuit might actually change something.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Odd. Just checked on my iPad. It had not been turned off. But I’d agree, it certainly should be ‘on’. 

Save yourself 3 hours on customer support.  When you update the new app, for whatever reason, it turns off your “local network” in your sonos app settings.  It won’t matter how many times you try to connect or reset all your speakers, it won’t connect without this setting turned back on… 

Badge

Hi All,

I had the same experience as you all, start the app and no system, no services almost blank. I then closed it and quickly reopened it I got the system, but no services so repeat again. This time everything turned up. But If I let the app sleep in the background, just not use my phone for a bit, I needed to do it all again. So not good but at least not a full reset.

This is not a fix but a stop gap if it works, while the cluster F$#@@# is fixed

I have an android phone for what it’s worth

This worked for me as well - speakers showed up then disappeared when I left the app running in the background when I went out.  Closed it, waited and then followed the above - can now see my speakers.  Not ideal but avoided the factory reset (for now) and can play.  Two other options: use the web app (not great but at least you can listen to music, etc. or use Spotify to play.  Again, not ideal but at least the speakers are accessible.   I’ve given up on my libraries for now - nothing is showing up except my Spotify songs so another hurdle to over come going forward.   Thanks It’s Me Not You for the recommendation. 

That post was written before the software update that seems to have caused many other issues, so there is the potential for other things now, but generally, one should never think of a WiFi in a ‘vacuum’, it can always be affected by outside things. I’ve personally had to deal with a neighbor setting up a new WiFi system stomping on the channel I had been using, as well as an errant microwave, leaking RF when it was operating. We’ve also had, in the past several weeks, a large solar storm, which can affect any electrical device, including WiFi routers/systems. And now, there appears to be some issues in Sonos’ own software, which makes things even more difficult to pin down. 

If you have the time, currently, the best option remains to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Badge

I suspect this isn’t an app problem, but more likely a network issue, as the app can’t connect to the speakers to show you what is going on.

There are two possibilities that spring to mind, the first being wifi interference . It might be worth reading through that FAQ and checking for some potential solutions there. 

The other is a potential duplicate IP address issue, which can be caused when the Sonos installs new software, and there’s an issue in the router. In order to reload everything, which ‘may’ fix this, unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. While they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Give the router a couple of minutes to reload everything before plugging back in your Sonos devices. Wait another couple of minutes for them to load and connect before testing again. If this indeed fixes the issue, I’d recommend setting up reserved IP addresses in your router, the instructions should be in the router’s manual, unfortunately many systems handle it slightly differently. But it is ‘good housekeeping’ for your network, and shouldn’t cause any issues. And it helps keep the router ‘straight’, so it doesn’t fall back into this state.

But there is always the possibility that I’ve misdiagnosed the issue. Certainly no harm would come from either suggestion, but if the issues persist, I would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Why would anyone have wifi interference all of the sudden? The system stopped working after working for weeks.