Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Userlevel 1
The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 June 2019, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wentzel thank you for reaching back out to us. 

At a quick glance, I would try changing the Sonosnet channel from 1 to 11

I’m also including a master list of Unifi and switch settings that you may want to look at:  

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  • Force Protocol Version = IEEE 802.1d (Classic)

CST Port Configuration

• Set both "Port Cost" & "External Port Cost" to 0 (Auto)
  • Set the "External Port Cost" to 2 (10Gb)

Please keep us posted on how things are working. 

I have a similar problem with Spotify stops playing and after some time 5-10 seconds continues. It’s only my Sonos Play5 Gen1 thats affected, not my Sonos One and it doesn’t matter which channel I use or the Play5 is close to the Access point or not. Other sources works fine. For my system it started around october/november 2019. Sonos support says it’s my wifi ...

My network equipment is:

• Ubiquiti Networks USG,512MB (router)
  • Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC LR (UAP-AC-LR) (access point)

I have made these changes on the configuration as requested by Sonos support but it did’nt make a difference:

I’ll check the other setting mentioned above.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there, @larsvillaume

Can you provide us with a Diagnostic Report confirmation number so that we can look more closely at what might be happening?  

Badge +1

Before you try to fix the wireless issue, try the wired, closed network if a speaker is close to the router. All you need to do is simply wire any of your Sonos products to your router with an ethernet cable, and your system will switch over automatically. You will need to keep one of your Sonos products wired to your router permanently in this configuration. Your easiest solution to wireless issues may be to switch to the wired network--it worked for me after a year of aggravation!

Badge

Hi @wentzel thank you for reaching back out to us. 

At a quick glance, I would try changing the Sonosnet channel from 1 to 11

I’m also including a master list of Unifi and switch settings that you may want to look at:  

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Force Protocol Version = IEEE 802.1d (Classic)

CST Port Configuration

• Set both "Port Cost" & "External Port Cost" to 0 (Auto)
  • Set the "External Port Cost" to 2 (10Gb)

Please keep us posted on how things are working. 

Hi,

I’ve tried to follow these directions, but it seems to not be completely adapted to the UDM. There are settings in many different sections, so I’ve only found some of the ones you mention. E.g. I can’t seem to find the force protocol version setting.

Also, I’m not sure what “CST Port Configuration” is. If you meant that I should “Configure the STP”, then that is actually not supported on the UDM. But as long as I’ve only connected one Sonos device by ehternet cable it shouldn’t make a difference, should it?

I’m wondering whether the setting “Enable minimum data rate control for 2G” needs to be disabled, or at least lowered? Are my Sonos products only 802.11b? Will they have an issue if the minimum data rate is set to 6Mbps? But then again, why would any of the settings of the wireless network matter (except maybe the network channel), if the Sonos sets up its own mesh network when it’s connected to the ethernet?

My latest diagnostics code: 1585311725

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wentzel,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, unfortunately the diagnostic report you submitted is corrupted so i’m not able to pull anything useful from it. 

I wasn’t able to track down any specific documentation regarding the Ubiquiti Dream Machine specifically but common settings found in other Ubiquiti network equipment. 

You may actually find some useful information on the Ubiquiti support community regarding Sonos systems.

CST refers to Common Spanning Tree so yes its related to STP,  but again you may need to reach out to Ubiquiti or a network  professional to configure this device.    

Same problem here. I am using the Negear Orbi mesh router, nothings changed recently although I did change the wifi channel to 6 but it didn't change anything. 

The Sonosnet option is grayed out for me.

Diagnostic number 819722271

Badge

Hello @wentzel,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, unfortunately the diagnostic report you submitted is corrupted so i’m not able to pull anything useful from it. 

I wasn’t able to track down any specific documentation regarding the Ubiquiti Dream Machine specifically but common settings found in other Ubiquiti network equipment. 

You may actually find some useful information on the Ubiquiti support community regarding Sonos systems.

CST refers to Common Spanning Tree so yes its related to STP,  but again you may need to reach out to Ubiquiti or a network  professional to configure this device.    

So what am I supposed to do to make my Sonos products work? Configuring the spanning tree costs is not a function that is available on the UDM, so a network professional can't do it either.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore 

Welcome to the Sonos community.

Sonosnet will only be an option if you have one Sonos player or speaker wired into your router. 

If your system is operating over WiFi network the Sonos players will use the channel that the router is using, currently 6 on your system.

I’m looking at your diagnostic report and I’m seeing a lot of interference and packet loss, how far away from your primary Orbi node is your Beam?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there ​@wentzel,

Either Ubiquiti support or a networking professional will have a better idea of what configurations are possible on that model of Ubiquiti router and I was able to locate a page regarding STP settings here

That being said, I have consulted with a few colleagues here and we have a very specific test scenario that we would like you to try.

1. Remove the Ethernet cable and return to a WiFi based configuration
  2. Test playback from Spotify on the “Kontor” Connect: Amp.
  3. Add other players to Kontor keeping this player as the group coordinator.
  4. Submit a diagnostic report with the results, hopefully the second report will not be corrupted.

If this playback test fails it may be necessary to acquire a switch that supports the STP settings we need for the network to be compatible with Sonos. 

Hello @RonSingapore 

Welcome to the Sonos community.

Sonosnet will only be an option if you have one Sonos player or speaker wired into your router. 

If your system is operating over WiFi network the Sonos players will use the channel that the router is using, currently 6 on your system.

I’m looking at your diagnostic report and I’m seeing a lot of interference and packet loss, how far away from your primary Orbi node is your Beam?

Hi @Jean C. 

The primary Orbi node is 1 floor above the satellite. The Satellite is about 1 meter away from the Sonos PlayBar.

I have changed the Wifi router channel to 11 while Sonos is on channel 6. Spotify is still unable to play. Please advise

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @RonSingapore,

Did you wire the Playbar to the satellite or did you wire something else to the primary node? 

Can you submit an updated diagnostic report from your system so I can offer more accurate advice?  

Hi there @RonSingapore,

Did you wire the Playbar to the satellite or did you wire something else to the primary node? 

Can you submit an updated diagnostic report from your system so I can offer more accurate advice?  

@Jean C. 

There is nothing wired to my Netgear Orbi primary node, nor is there anything wired to the satellite. Sonos is wireless. My new diagnostics is 1072921446.

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RonSingapore,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

I asked about the wiring since the only way to set Sonos on its own channel is to wire a Sonos player to the network via Ethernet cable.

Is there anything that you can do to reduce wireless interference in your network?

Badge

Hi there ​@wentzel,

Either Ubiquiti support or a networking professional will have a better idea of what configurations are possible on that model of Ubiquiti router and I was able to locate a page regarding STP settings here

That being said, I have consulted with a few colleagues here and we have a very specific test scenario that we would like you to try.

1. Remove the Ethernet cable and return to a WiFi based configuration
  2. Test playback from Spotify on the “Kontor” Connect: Amp.
  3. Add other players to Kontor keeping this player as the group coordinator.
  4. Submit a diagnostic report with the results, hopefully the second report will not be corrupted.

If this playback test fails it may be necessary to acquire a switch that supports the STP settings we need for the network to be compatible with Sonos. 

Hello again,

New issues. Before I did this test I found my last Sonos product in a box, and I have now connected it also, and moved the others around a little bit. Now there’s a new problem though, that needs to be resolved before we keep looking into the sporadic stopping of Spotify music. Because now, the Connect won’t even play anything except when I play it only on that one. Actually, this morning it worked somewhat when I played it together with one of the Connect:Amp but when I connect a third device, the Connect will simply stop playing music. How do I solve that issue?

Code: 1012826267

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there @wentzel,

When the audio stops on the Connect, does the app still claims that it is playing and that the volume level is up?

Do you notice any flashing white lights on the Connect while this is occurring?

Is the Connect wired into the Dream Machine currently?

Are there any Volume settings on the receiver or amplifier that the Connect is connected to that mediate this in any way?

Badge

Hello there @wentzel,

When the audio stops on the Connect, does the app still claims that it is playing and that the volume level is up?

Yes

Do you notice any flashing white lights on the Connect while this is occurring?

Nope. Everything looks normal.

Is the Connect wired into the Dream Machine currently?

Yes, it is the only Sonos device that is wired.

Are there any Volume settings on the receiver or amplifier that the Connect is connected to that mediate this in any way?

I have a hard time understanding how the receiver would know if the Connect is grouped with other Sonos devices or not. As far as I know, RCA cables do not have the capacity to convey such information from the Connect to the receiver. The sound works fine when the Connect is playing alone, sometimes work when grouped with one other Sonos device, and never when it’s grouped with two or more other Sonos devices.

Please see my responses in red above.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Forgive my wording, @wentzel.

I guess a better question to ask is are you playing line-out to another audio device (and this audio device has it’s own volume control) via the Connect with other grouped players or

are you playing line-in to Sonos from an external source via the Connect and grouped to other players?

Are you able to wire a different device to the network and see if this continues or has it all been shuffled around so that has become difficult? 

Badge

Forgive my wording, @wentzel.

I guess a better question to ask is are you playing line-out to another audio device (and this audio device has it’s own volume control) via the Connect with other grouped players or

are you playing line-in to Sonos from an external source via the Connect and grouped to other players?

Are you able to wire a different device to the network and see if this continues or has it all been shuffled around so that has become difficult? 

Oh 😁

The Connect is connected to a receiver through line out RCA (I never managed to get optical out to work, don't know if it's the Connect or the receiver). When the connect plays alone it works, but as soon as I group it with other Sonos devices the sound disappears. Sometimes it comes back after a few seconds if I just group it with one other device. But then it comes and goes every 5-10 seconds.

I have network outlets ine room, so I can hook up any and all of the devices to the UDM. But as we realized earlier, the UDM doesn't let me configure STP costs, so if I've understood correctly it's not a good idea to hook up more than one.

Hi @RonSingapore,

Thank you for the additional information about your system. 

I asked about the wiring since the only way to set Sonos on its own channel is to wire a Sonos player to the network via Ethernet cable.

Is there anything that you can do to reduce wireless interference in your network?

Hi @Jean C. 

When Sonos is wireless (connected via wifi), Spotify exhibits the problems we’ve been describing above. TuneIn works perfectly in Sonos wireless mode so there is probably something wrong with Spotify.

On the other hand when I connect Sonos via ethernet to the router, Spotify works great.

I bought Sonos for its wireless capabilities - I’d really like to hear your recommendations to get Spotify to work wirelessly. Please advise.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore ,

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your system while the Sonos player is wired to the network and after 5 minutes of testing?

I’d like to be able to look at the communication data from that configuration so I can offer you more specific and less general advice. It’s great that Sonos is able now to run on Wifi but a WiFi network environments are almost as unique as fingerprints and sometimes a wired connection  will bring superior connectivity. 

As I’ve mention before, Sonos can create it’s own mesh network and be isolated on it’s own channel but that will only happen if one Sonos product is wired to the network. Being able to compare these configurations against each other will all me to offer a more tailored analysis of your situation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks for the clarification @wentzel

It’s more a question of if the Dream Machine supports STP at all and it doesn’t seem to, you can test this by plugging two of them in and seeing if the network breaks. 

Were you able to see if there were multicast settings or LAN/WLAN multicast filtering settings int the UDM? 

I certainly will be taking some of my down time to investigate this further for my own edification as well as for trying to crack this particular nut. 

If you have network wall ports in every room, they would also be fed by a switch, do you know where and what this switch is?

If the switch feeding the wall ports is managed, it can be configured to support STP, if not we’re back to square one.

As for the grouped playback behavior, that’s going to be tied to how well the players are communicating to each other, the one wired shouldn’t be the one dripping out though. Very strange. 

Does it ever matter which audio source you are using, Spotify vs radio for instance?

Hello @RonSingapore ,

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your system while the Sonos player is wired to the network and after 5 minutes of testing?

I’d like to be able to look at the communication data from that configuration so I can offer you more specific and less general advice. It’s great that Sonos is able now to run on Wifi but a WiFi network environments are almost as unique as fingerprints and sometimes a wired connection  will bring superior connectivity. 

As I’ve mention before, Sonos can create it’s own mesh network and be isolated on it’s own channel but that will only happen if one Sonos product is wired to the network. Being able to compare these configurations against each other will all me to offer a more tailored analysis of your situation.

@Jean C. I submitted diagnostic report 492588371 as requested. After you review, please advise how I can switch back to wifi. Thanks

Badge

Thanks for the clarification @wentzel

It’s more a question of if the Dream Machine supports STP at all and it doesn’t seem to, you can test this by plugging two of them in and seeing if the network breaks. 

I’m not sure exactly what that means, all i know is that it doesn’t support configuring the spanning tree protocol costs. However, I connected one more Sonos device, and the network matrix at <device ip>/support/review looks better. It looks like both devices are forwarding and there are no orange or red squares for the moment. I submitted a diacnostic report (1234271432) and just exactly while I was doing that the sound from the problematic Connect disappeared, but just after the diagnostic report was sent in the sound came back, and it has been working well while writing this message. Here’s a new report, in case the first one was corrupted: 1356008615. Oh! Interesting! Actually, the problematic device shuts down the sound during the submission of the diagnostic report. Is that the expected behavior? It is one of two “secondary nodes”.

Oh, and by the way - after hooking up the second device also, the Connect no longer drops the sound when a third or fourth device is added to the group. However, when I group all five devices it still drops (and comes back every once in a while, kind of like how it was with two in a group before)...

Were you able to see if there were multicast settings or LAN/WLAN multicast filtering settings int the UDM? 

There is a possibility to enable or disable “Multicast DNS”, which according to the description “enables the mDNS reflector service on UniFi Security Gateways. It is currently enabled.

I certainly will be taking some of my down time to investigate this further for my own edification as well as for trying to crack this particular nut. 

Cool! Thanks for the dedication :)

If you have network wall ports in every room, they would also be fed by a switch, do you know where and what this switch is?

If the switch feeding the wall ports is managed, it can be configured to support STP, if not we’re back to square one.

Well the switch that is originally in the house is not managed. As I’m not using all network ports in the house, I’m not using that switch, just the UDM. It only has four ports though, so if I need to hook up more devices I’ll need to use the original switch that isn’t managed. Currently, both Sonos devices that are hooked up, are hooked up to the UDM.

As for the grouped playback behavior, that’s going to be tied to how well the players are communicating to each other, the one wired shouldn’t be the one dripping out though. Very strange. 

Does it ever matter which audio source you are using, Spotify vs radio for instance?

I’m usually listening to Spotify. Just now I tested with TuneIn radio, and the same issue was there. It kind of works when the Connect is grouped with one to three more devices, but as soon as the fifth is added to the group the sound disappears, but still displaying as playing with sound in the Sonos software.

Jean, Please see my answers in red above.

I’ll keep listening today with both devices hooked up by wire, and see if it works any better.

EDIT: Uhm...now it’s super weird actually. Now the problematic device actually doesn’t really work well by itself anymore. But when grouped with another device it seems to be working fine. Not if it’s grouped with all of them though… :S

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RonSingapore

Thank you for your patience.

If Spotify works fine while one player is wired in, we may need to find a way to wire a player for more stable playback performance. 

Sonos is designed with WiFi in mind, but using the Sonosnet mesh feature can help it navigate around structural and wireless interference. 

We even make a Boost that can be the product wired to your router so that you don’t have to relocate your speakers. 

I understand that this isn’t your ideal solution but it may be the best one since Something in your environment is stymieing the connectivity just enough to interfere with playback. 

Has that other Sonos One(Tipsy Cow) been there the whole time and had been missing from the system or was it unplugged or elsewhere in your previous diagnostics? 

If this player has been missing, this could also indicate network connectivity issues that are intense enough to disrupt playback.

If you would like to return your system to a WiFi based set up, all you need to do is detach the Ethernet cable and the players will connect to the network rather than Sonosnet.