Answered

Spotify: Browsing through genres not possible anymore

• 14 November 2019
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 1

Are these Spotify accounts free, or premium? 

From my understanding, the free account heavily limits what you are able to see and search for. 

Mine is premium.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are these Spotify accounts free, or premium? 

From my understanding, the free account heavily limits what you are able to see and search for. 

Userlevel 1

Totally agree with the above comments. My family made great use of this feature and now it is much more difficult. It would be great to get it back.

Agree that this has totally changed how I used to use the Sonos controller, and is very disappointing. I would like the functionality returned.

However, there is a (somewhat laborious) workaround that works on Android and iOS. Doesn't appear to be available on the Windows desktop controller. Through the Sonos controller, select browse, thence Spotify. Top right hand corner has the option to open the Spotify app. Go to search in the Spotify app and all the categories (eg. Genres, decades, moods etc) are there. Select your playlist and play. This will play it on your device. You then need to start it on your Sonos speaker through  'devices available’. If you want to group speakers, you can then do this through the Sonos controller. Alternatively, bypass the Sonos app and control directly from the Spotify app, and select 'devices available’ to listen on your Sonos speaker. 

Not sure how this work around would go if you were trying to play different playlists on different speakers. 

Again, the change is very disappointing, and I believe it has diminished the usability and appeal of Sonos.

Userlevel 3

While I agree with this proposition, even in an in-app notification today it was stated, that Sonos introduced this change (I won‘t paste the update here since my app Interface is in German).

And while it indeed became much more easy to select playlists one recently listened to, like I said, it got virtually impossible to select anything else.

The fact that Sonos needs to implement a software update to effect the change does not alter the fact that Spotify decides how the UX Will look and function.

Userlevel 3

Note that the data reflected in the Sonos search field is generated by Spotify. Sonos wrote the code that sends the request (what you typed) to Spotify, and Spotify parses the data, sends back a response, and Sonos displays what they receive from Spotify. 

You may want to voice your concerns to Spotify directly. 

I don’t think this is completely true. This change appeared with the latest update, indicating Sonos introduced the change. Other than that the redesign is also showcased here: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/spotify-free-now-available-on-sonos-with-10-5-1-6832169

I think Sonos must understand that this is a major drawback in usability. While I understand that playlist curation based on listening habits makes sense, just breaking workflows that have been there for years is cruel. At least give us an option to switch back to the old style, please.

I’m someone who usually never complains about updates because they most often make complete sense. But the Spotify experience on Sonos has dramatically degraded because of this change. Even the free Amazon (Prime) Music allows browsing through genres. In the end, if there won’t be any changes to this experience, Spotify will have to suffer though I’m using it for over half a decade already. Because mainly I use my music streaming service together with Sonos! And the removal of all possibilities to browse the Spotify catalogue makes me want to search for a streaming service where it is still possible. This shouldn’t be necessary. Is there really no one at Sonos who selects playlist based on genres in Spotify? I can’t believe this.

Userlevel 2

+1

Note that the data reflected in the Sonos search field is generated by Spotify. Sonos wrote the code that sends the request (what you typed) to Spotify, and Spotify parses the data, sends back a response, and Sonos displays what they receive from Spotify. 

You may want to voice your concerns to Spotify directly. 

Inconvenient, but you can try searching for names of genres in playlists. For example, go to search, type “Jazz,” and a list of all the Spotify playlists that include “Jazz” SHOULD show up in the search results. Can’t figure out why they made this change, though. 

This is a game changer and would actually give me cause to unsubscribe from Spotify!  Please fix this!  It is still possible to search by genre through the actual Spotify app, so it seems that this change has come from Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Same problem here. Please fix ASAP.