Spotify Free Now Available on Sonos with 10.5.1

• 12 November 2019
  • 32 replies
Spotify Free Now Available on Sonos with 10.5.1
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 12267 replies

We are excited to share that Spotify Free, Spotify's ad-supported tier, now works on your Sonos system. 

If you have a Free Spotify account, just open the Sonos app and head to Settings > Services and tap Spotify to link your account, as shown here: 

The differences between Spotify Premium and Spotify Free are highlighted below: 

• Premium is ad-free and supports on-demand listening, while a free account is ad-supported and offers listening on shuffle.
  • A free account will not have library access within the Sonos app. You can still access your Spotify library with a Free account. To do this, you can control your system via the Spotify app. 

full description of Spotify’s features can be found here. That article will also describe how to control your system with the Spotify app, via direct control. 

Please see the Spotify website if you want to make changes to your Spotify subscription. Any changes can take up to 1 hour to show on your Sonos system. 

There have also been some changes to the look and feel of Spotify on your Sonos system. 

This has been done to showcase music curated based on your taste or listening habits. This redesign is also intended to help you discover new music based on your listening habits: 

• Your heavy rotation: Content that you listen to frequently. 
    Made for You
  • Daily mixes: A mixture of music based on your listening habits. 
  • Discover Weekly: Playlist of unheard music that fits your listening preferences. 
  • Release Radar: Playlist of newly released music that fits your listening preferences.

• Recommended Radio: Suggested radio stations based on your listening habits.

• Jump back in: Music that you’ve recently listened to. 
  • Daily Soundtrack: Music for the moment. 
  • Genre playlists: Multiple genres with curated playlists.

• Popular artists: Currently trending artists
  • Popular new releases: Trending new releases

• Best of artists: “Best of” playlists, based on artists you listen to frequently

• Your library (Premium only)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

The Spotify Stations app now works with Spotify Connect and Sonos targets.

Why have you put "my library" in the bottom of the list in Spotify? Should be at the top IMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Excellent!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

And they've fixed the way the notification looks in Android 10 dark mode! Good on you, Sonos!

Badge

Oddly enough, my Sonos Android app doesn’t show the new redesign (Heavy rotation, daily mixes, etc) though my Windows PC does. I’m on 10.5.1.

More importantly: It used to be that Spotify streams started from the Sonos app did not affect the "one stream at a time" so the Spotify app can play one thing on the go while the Sonos app was able to play its own thing. This is no longer the case, either due to the update or a very recent change.
(I'm a premium user)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

More importantly: It used to be that Spotify streams started from the Sonos app did not affect the "one stream at a time" so the Spotify app can play one thing on the go while the Sonos app was able to play its own thing.

That was never my experience. I could (and can) play multiple different, simultaneous Spotify streams using Sonos, but not in parallel with playback using the Spotify app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Same here.  Could have different Spotify streams per room started via Sonos.  If I were to connected to Spotify on my phone or Alexa then I would not be able to connect via Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Oddly enough, my Sonos Android app doesn’t show the new redesign (Heavy rotation, daily mixes, etc) though my Windows PC does. I’m on 10.5.1.

More importantly: It used to be that Spotify streams started from the Sonos app did not affect the "one stream at a time" so the Spotify app can play one thing on the go while the Sonos app was able to play its own thing. This is no longer the case, either due to the update or a very recent change.
(I'm a premium user)

Before it shows in the app, you need to also update the Sonos system firmware itself (the players).

As for simultaneously playing from the standalone Spotify app and Sonos with the same account, that has never been possible. Just multiple Spotify streams from the same account within the same Sonos system.

Badge

More importantly: It used to be that Spotify streams started from the Sonos app did not affect the "one stream at a time" so the Spotify app can play one thing on the go while the Sonos app was able to play its own thing.

That was never my experience. I could (and can) play multiple different, simultaneous Spotify streams using Sonos, but not in parallel with playback using the Spotify app.

I was definitely able to play Spotify through Spotify app on my phone at the same time as Spotify through my Sonos app on my Beam before. Not sure when in the last few months this stopped being the case because I only tried again right after this update.

(I'm a premium user)

Before it shows in the app, you need to also update the Sonos system firmware itself (the players).

As for simultaneously playing from the standalone Spotify app and Sonos with the same account, that has never been possible. Just multiple Spotify streams from the same account within the same Sonos system.

My firmware is updated so unclear why it doesn’t show for me on my Android app (but does show on Windows)..

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’d also like to confirm that what pwt, bockersjv, and Sjoop1985 all said is correct. The expected behavior today is that you can have multiple concurrent streams using the Sonos app to play Spotify to Sonos, but if you start up a stream using Alexa, Google Assistant, or a Spotify app, the streams will stop on Sonos under the stream limitation rules from the service. Most music services have similar stream limitation rules.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I was definitely able to play Spotify through Spotify app on my phone at the same time as Spotify through my Sonos app on my Beam before. Not sure when in the last few months this stopped being the case because I only tried again right after this update.

Not if the Sonos players and the Spotify app were using the same Spotify user account. This has never been possible because it triggers mutual exclusion at the Spotify end.

Badge

Not if the Sonos players and the Spotify app were using the same Spotify user account. This has never been possible because it triggers mutual exclusion at the Spotify end.

I cannot explain it then because I’ve only ever had 1 Spotify account. Perhaps there was a bug on Spotify’s end that prevented the block for a short period when I tested.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Your heavy rotation: Content that you listen to frequently. 

Release Radar

What rubbish terminology!   Another blasted update for more ‘millenial’ daftness 

Release Radar

What rubbish terminology!   Another blasted update for more ‘millenial’ daftness 

You do realize Sonos has nothing to do with these types of features?  The UI is done by Spotify, Sonos only supplies the API. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey castalla, thanks for sharing your opinion. If you aren’t familiar with the service, “Release Radar” is a default playlist created by Spotify as one of their Made For You Playlists. You can see it here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZEVXbfU16Bu3hLvu

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Whatever!  I’m sick of these unnessary updates - just make them optional. Please!

Whatever!  I’m sick of these unnessary updates - just make them optional. Please!

Shut off auto updates on your controlling devices, and shut off update notifications on your Sonos.  You’ve been told this dozens of times in the past, I don’t see how you could still be complaining about it.   

Also, Sonos has no way of forcing the App Store or Google Play Store to make an app update optional.  That is up to you via your personal App Store or Google Play Store update settings (as advised above)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Not true!  I’ve reported this many times … update notifications can’t be disabled on the PC app or the CR200.  Very irritating.   

Not true!  I’ve reported this many times … update notifications can’t be disabled on the PC app or the CR200.  Very irritating.   

No, it’s 100% true, and we’ve been over this dozens of times before!!!  What is actually happening is one of your mobile controllers updates automatically, then the owner of that controller updates the system, then the notifications appear on the other controllers because the app/hardware versions are out of sync.  So stop automatic updates on all your controlling devices, and you will never see those notifications!!!

And please tell me, if your wish for optional updates were implemented, how is Sonos going to force an optional update on an app that is downloaded from the App Store or Google Play Store?  That right there makes your optional updates impossible. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Whatever you say.  Not my experience … but I could just be dumb I guess.

Whatever you say.  Not my experience … but I could just be dumb I guess.

Actually, I believe in the past you have checked the versions and found out it was just as I stated.  You just refused to believe anyone updated the hardware.  I do know you are the only poster who claims to see update notifications when update notifications are turned off and no update has occurred.

Badge

(I'm a premium user)

Per my Sonos App’s “About My System”:

Sonos App Info: Version 10.5.1, Build 53371041

Sonos One:  Version 10.5.1 (build 53371051)

Beam: Version 10.5.1 (build 53371051)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Okay, so that's strange indeed. You could try to remove and re-add the Spotify service if you're prepared to take that inconvenience, see if that helps. Otherwise, I don't have any other suggestion at this point.

As for playing streams “outside” and "inside” Sonos, that seems to be an anomaly on your end, because that has never been a feature. So unfortunately, I have to tell you not to hope for that to return.

Release Radar

Ok, boomer 

(before anyone accuses me of an ageist remark, please consider that calling someone or something “millennial” with a negative connotation is just as ageist)

Many have been crying out for Spotify to update their UX on Sonos, and now they finally have. Sorry to hear it doesn't fit your tastes.

Also, before starting the same discussion in this thread again, please do a little research into the difference between updates within the Sonos system, and app updates from Google or Apple app stores. No app in existence will allow you to turn off updating of the app itself from within the app, you will have to do that in the respective “store”. Other than that, I have nothing to add to jgatie's posts.

How do you install/access Spotify Stations from the Sonos App? My house music is driven by 4 sonos connects. 

How do you install/access Spotify Stations from the Sonos App? My house music is driven by 4 sonos connects. 

See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1153?language=en_US