Skip to main content

Sonos/Deezer - how to disable Hifi/FLAC

• 17 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a setup at home with multiple Sonos One speakers and another Roam in a separate system/location. Bot systems are mainly used with Deezer. 

At home with a solid internet connection everything works perfectly. My Roam is in a location with solid wifi but a relatively slow internet connection (<5 MBit/s). Using Sonos Radio or TuneIn works flawlessly. However, Deezer tries to stream uncompressed Hifi audio and due to the slow connection constantly aborts play. 

When I use Deezer on my phone in that location and stream to Sonos Roam via Bluetooth, the Deezer app on the phone automatically moves down to compressed audio at a lower bitrate, but Deezer on Sonos does not do that. 

Is there a reliable way to manually force Deezer on the Roam to play compressed audio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d say all non HD audio you receive from streaming services is compressed, but you might want to push Deezer to use a lower bit rate?

Badge +20

All I can suggest is to swap music service to one without CD quality, such as Spotify or the lower tier of Tidal. I don’t think there is a way to get Deezer (when subscribed) to play the lower bitrate service that the free tier has.

Userlevel 1

I’d say all non HD audio you receive from streaming services is compressed, but you might want to push Deezer to use a lower bit rate?

That is correct. I was using the word compressed to indicate “non-Hifi” audio quality. The problem is that Deezer on Sonos choses to stream at a bitrate above network bandwidth and does not fall back to a lower bit rate (as it does on the iPhone app).