Sonos App is Complete Garbage - for mobile or desktop

• 2 September 2023
  • 41 replies

Show first post

41 replies

Daily issues now. Sometimes just restarting the app will work, even when it can’t find the system initially. It is very flaky, consistently frustrating.

Any network device, including Sonos, is only as good as the network it is attached to. The vast majority of issues reported on these forums can be attributed to network issues. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Any network device, including Sonos, is only as good as the network it is attached to. The vast majority of issues reported on these forums can be attributed to network issues. 

While I appreciate this may be the case I think it would be fair to say very few of us purchase Sonos thinking we need to resolve network issues just to hear premium sound. There must be a better way to avoid these issues. 

Sonos speakers are great, but everything about the apps is garbage, and gets worse with each update.

Almost everyday, Sonos “forgets” where my library is. I have to go into settings and add the folder again, even though it is already there. Sometimes, I can just start playing something I played recently through the app, even though it says there’s no music library!

On the mobile app, when I search an artist, it can’t find the song files I have stored locally on my phone! I’ve checked permissions, I’ve updated… everything. For a while, I could fix this by toggling between new and classic search and now that doesn’t even work. 

This system is way too expensive for such * software.

If I find a better app that can work with these speakers I will absolutely never use Sonos apps again.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

The app is terrible and confirm it is absolutely NOT a network issue. Constantly does not recognize the other Sonos speakers. In the 6 months I have ARC and Sub Mini I have had to reset almost 20 times!!! I recently added the Move 2 and opened 12 suport tickets. Complete garbage app that is unstable and needs to be rewritten. 

Hard reboots (i.e. disconnecting the mains supply for 10s and reconnecting (as per Sonos’ own instructions) are a fact of life with this garbage. Only 20 times in 6 months? Your system is working relatively well. You should consider yourself fortunate. You could always ditch it and go back to real gear that works for decades =).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

While I appreciate this may be the case I think it would be fair to say very few of us purchase Sonos thinking we need to resolve network issues just to hear premium sound. There must be a better way to avoid these issues. 

It is pretty simple to avoid the WiFi issues, just wire everything and be done with the unreliable and shared with the neighbors and other devices WiFi mess.

Since the ‘app’ is really running on the speakers, and not technically on your mobile or desktop, it’s not surprising that you’re seeing the same behaviours in both places. 

It seems as though you have some sort of network issue, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I must admit I am not a lover of the app either.

I read a few reviews where it said it was great but that is not my experience

I am in dolby atmos music and unless Sonos, Apple and Amazon improve the way we find that music it will stunt the growth of Atmos music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So it’s not the app you’re having problems with, it’s the software on the system. The app is just a remote to the system.

Since the powers that be [Google for Android, Apple for iOS) have forced the exclusion of “play from this device”, it’s not surprising that you're  having issues with local search and playback. You can still use Airplay2, if you’re on an iOS device, but Apple requires Atmos content to be sent to an Apple TV device, when using AirPlay 2 to a non-Apple device, the best you’ll get is stereo. Again, this is a restriction imposed by Apple, Sonos has to follow what parameters they are given.

Again, you’re experiencing network issues. Submit a diagnostic to Sonos, let them help you figure out what the issue is, and get it resolved. Ultimately, your Sonos system will be much easier to use. 

And yet, I don’t have any issues with my 20+ Sonos speakers. I wonder what is different about our two setups. You certainly seem to be having issues that I am not. And yes, I still happen to use a BOOST for SonosNet, although my Roam sits on my WiFi network. 

The Sonos software is complete garbage. It fails regularly and getting any tech assistance from the company is impossible. This is because they fired all their programmers and replaced them with their marketing department.

Since the ‘app’ is really running on the speakers, and not technically on your mobile or desktop, it’s not surprising that you’re seeing the same behaviours in both places. 

It seems as though you have some sort of network issue, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Sonos confirmed it’s 100% not a network issue.

nothin wrong on the diagnostics test as well they said.

it’s weird how passive aggressive people are here.

too much brand loyalty, too much ignorance.

You joined today, and we have no idea what your problem is. 

Sonos confirmed it’s 100% not a network issue.

nothin wrong on the diagnostics test as well they said.

So what is the issue, hardware failure, low average SNR levels, SSDP multicast/broadcast communication, STP issues, or something else? At least give readers a hint as to where your own issues may lie.

My family, friends and I, have used Sonos at our various Homes, business premises and elsewhere for a good many years and none of us have had any huge issue that was not down to ‘poor-network-configuration’ related, but fortunately the advice in the community here and Sonos support pages have helped to eradicate those, even the multicast/broadcast issues that may arise between controller devices and wired/wireless network segments can be quickly resolved in most cases.. but if you’ll enlighten everyone, then it might be useful for ‘any other users’ who land here in the community and perhaps read this thread.

Concur. The app is complete garbage, an embarrassment. Am working to unload my Sonos products via Craiglist and will replace with Bose. What a disappointment that this company can’t develop an app to match the speakers (which are great).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which is strange, since, as explained above, the app does not do anything but contact the speakers……