Skip to main content
Answered

Problem with Music Library "Imported Playlists" under new Firmware 16.3

Today I successfully updated to the latest 16.3 Firmware and Windows Desktop Controller.
I subsequently performed an “Update Music Library Now” from the 16.3 Windows Desktop Controller.
Now when I select “Imported Playlists” using any Sonos Controller (including SonoPhone, SonoPad) the app either displays “Something went wrong. Try again” or if it does display the playlists then it displays “Something went wrong. Try again” when I select a playlist. Trying again doesn’t resolve the issue.
Anyone else having this issue?
Ross.

37 replies

Confirmed. “Something Went Wrong” error. Tried 5 imported playlists same error on all. Sonos Controller. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Confirmed. “Something Went Wrong” error. Tried 5 imported playlists same error on all. Sonos Controller. 

Oh crap, @Bumper,  my “don’t update your firmware to v16.3” warning didn’t reach you in time?

Speaking of warnings, you need to give us advance notice before changing your profile pic.

Oh crap, @Bumper,  my “don’t update your firmware to v16.3” warning didn’t reach you in time?

Speaking of warnings, you need to give us advance notice before changing your profile pic.

No I updated pretty early🤦‍♀️ In my mind I should wait but intrusive thoughts always win 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Tagging:

@Corry P 

Being that at least one other user is having this problem, is the Local Music Library “Imported Playlist” issue described above a known issue with Firmware 16.3?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rosswells127 

Not as far as I am aware, though I do recall a colleague mentioning imported playlists recently (as a suspected issue with an iTunes-generated .xml file) - I recommend that anyone affected please get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. Be sure to mention whether your playlists come from files in your music folder, or from iTunes/Apple Music xml file (I say this because I have .m3u playlist files and see no issues with them or the Imported Playlists section of the app).

I hope this helps.

@rosswells127 I’ve found a workaround for my system. Most of my playlists are 250+ tracks. If I load a smaller playlist, ~ 50, the system loads it. Then if I go back the larger playlist loads. 
It appears that it times out on larger playlist initially. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Corry P 
Yes, my Music Library “Imported playlists” do currently come from the “iTunes Library.xml” file. My library has around 20,000 tracks so the XML file is approx 30megs. I believe the new firmware has issues with playlists stored in the XML file with large libraries. I had no problems with playlists under the old firmware.

I can manually export the iTunes playlists to .M3U files which I can then store under my Music folder on my NAS so Sonos can find them. But I assume that the Sonos index process will then find them there and also in the XML file - correct? If so then how did you work around the double up issue or do you not have the XML file present under your music library folder.

Ross.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ross

I’ve never installed iTunes or Apple Music, so I have no xml file. iTunes (now Apple Music, but it’s easier to say iTunes when not talking about the online service) hasn’t actually used the xml file to store playlists for some time now - in fact, the Desktop Sonos app will create an xml file from wherever iTunes now stores them, if it does not find the file, seeing as the speakers look for the file but iTunes no longer uses it. As a result (unless you are using a very old version of iTunes), there should be no issue with you just deleting the xml file. As a precaution, however, I would recommend renaming it over deleting it - if there are unexpected consequences, you can always rename it back.

Having said all that, I’m not sure what the actual issue is here - it’s possible that just deleting/renaming the xml file and telling the Sonos app to re-index will prompt the app to make a new xml file for you that simply works.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I assume you would see duplicates, yes.

Userlevel 2

Same here. I can index the library (only on the windows app), and the “Music Library” option shows up on IOS devices. I get a list of categories, but I can’t browse anything. I keep getting the message “Something went wrong”. This after also deleting and adding the library back in. This is my Apple Library so it has the XML file.

Only on the windows app, I’m able to drill down and get a list of categories (e.g., Artists, Albums, etc.), and then when I go to my “Imported Playlists” I see all of my playlists, but going any deeper gives the “unable to browse music” error.

What is weird is that music in my library shows up in the queue on the windows app and are playable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Whubis 

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve been having with imported playlists. We are not able to replicate your results, however - as a result, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rosswells127 et al

Thanks to some customers who called in, we have now identified an issue and are investigating. Thanks you all for flagging this issue.

I’ll update this thread once a solution is in place,

Userlevel 1

Investigating?  This is the same issue that has come up repeatedly over the past year.  Every time there is an OS/iOS update or change in the Sonos app you lose access to your music library.  There are elaborate schemes published in YouTube with work arounds, all necessary due to a continuing failure by the Sonos Software.  The promises for a solution are never fulfilled.

I use a NAS device to store my music. All my music runs through iTunes libraries. Since spring, I have been unable to browse on iPhone or iPad because of an app update and had resorted back to Windows Controller. Today, I tried to change playlist and no longer can play music. I only bought the NAS device when I could no longer use my iPad for music storage many moons ago. My Sonos 1 and Sonos 5 are now redundant and can only use my Sonos Roam through Bluetooth.

Most companies, when they upgrade apps, the enhance the user features, Sonos just limits them further and further. I really regret splashing out on these devices. The Speakers are Brilliant but the user interfaces just get worse and worse until they are no longer functional.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

My imported playlists are M3U.  They reside in a NAS.  When I attempt to play one the only command that works is “Replace Queue”.  “Play Now”, “Play Next” & “Add to End of Queue” all fail with an error message.  Even very short M3U playlists suffer from the same issue.

The “Albums” catagory from the same local library seem to work with all commands.  Oddly the “Artists” category only shows the command “Play Now” which seems to work OK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Corry P . Thank you for the update. Good to know that Sonos is working on a fix.
Ross.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Whubis 

Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve been having with imported playlists. We are not able to replicate your results, however - as a result, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the help Corry!

Same here. I can index the library (only on the windows app), and the “Music Library” option shows up on IOS devices. I get a list of categories, but I can’t browse anything. I keep getting the message “Something went wrong”. This after also deleting and adding the library back in. This is my Apple Library so it has the XML file.

Only on the windows app, I’m able to drill down and get a list of categories (e.g., Artists, Albums, etc.), and then when I go to my “Imported Playlists” I see all of my playlists, but going any deeper gives the “unable to browse music” error.

What is weird is that music in my library shows up in the queue on the windows app and are playable.

same issue here with the Sonos Controller for Mac Version 16.3 and iTunes files residing on a Synology NAS - after upgrading the Sonos Controller and updating the Music Library the imported playlist are shown but the access to the files does not work, not even after resetting the Music Library folder credentials 😒

Was told today that Sonos realizes there is this issue with imported playlists and they are “working” on a solution.  The problem is a result of the latest update so instead of “working” on a solution Sonos needs to work on updates that DON’T create issues. No timeframe for a solution.  Of course!  Perhaps if sales of products drop off Sonos might pay closer attention to its customers’ issues

LTS

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes, same issue.

Can play the music from the library just fine.

The playlists synchronise - if I rename one, the new name shows up in the Sonos app (iOS; MacOS).

But whenever I choose a playlist - “an error occurred” after a bit os time.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@rosswells127 I’ve found a workaround for my system. Most of my playlists are 250+ tracks. If I load a smaller playlist, ~ 50, the system loads it. Then if I go back the larger playlist loads. 
It appears that it times out on larger playlist initially. 

I have one with 52 tracks, Doesn’t load.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am now having this exact problem, the only difference being that when I try to open an Impoted Playlist the message I get is “Unable to browse music library” or something similar. Also after trying to open an Imported Playlist the controller can no longer access individual artists or albums within the library without being closed and restarted.

Despite assurances of issues relating to the new app launch being corrected, everything seems to be getting more and more difficult. It is very frustrating.

Userlevel 1

And still, from the perpetrators at Sonos, there is silence.  When you review the litany of complaints above, all detailing the same deficiency and over a considerable period of time, you are left with only two conclusions:  1) Sonos is incompetent and can’t cope with changes to one of the most popular operating systems on the planet…. or 2) Sonos has an unfathomable contempt for customer service.

There is queue of issues to be addressed. The general user attitude is that MY issues should be promoted the top of the queue, YOUR issues can wait.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @rosswells127 et al

We believe this issue may have been resolved with today’s firmware (speaker software) patch update. Could anyone affected by this issue please install the latest update and test whether this issue has been resolved? Thank you.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Is this firmware also causing Music Library Albums to show up as Individual Songs as some have reported?  I have not updated but am afraid to.