Answered

New Windows 11 refuses Sonos access to Music Library

• 27 November 2022
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Added my Sono’s system (Sono’s S1) to a new Dell computer which was already running Windows 11. No problem connecting to existing Sonos system (five rooms). Does not recognize Dell computer for connecting to music library.  No problem running services such as Sirius XM.

Had no problem connecting Sonos S1 to an HP computer music library running Windows 10. 

If you’re referring to a new library held on the Dell PC then you will need to enable SMB-1 protocol on that PC and share the folder. There’s information about enabling SMB-1 if you search for it via Google.

You will also need to ensure the PC’s netbios name (if using) is no longer than 15 characters with no special characters included.

Does the computer name have any ‘odd’ characters in it, like a hyphen?

Userlevel 1
Badge

My problem is the same as KRMart except that my PC is an HP.  The setup did not allow naming the NetBios longer than 15 letters and no special characters were allowed either.  SMB-1 is enabled.  Network is set to Private.  All permissions for Sonos access have been granted.  Norton 360 has been ruled out as the cause because the problem persisted even when Norton was uninstalled. And as already mentioned, Microsoft also did not have an answer.  Somewhat reassuring that I am not the only one with this problem, but frustrating that Sonos does not have a ready solution since the problem is obviously not unique  to me.  I have spent many hours with Sonos tech support with remote access, which was then elevated to their level 2 tech and I am awaiting level 3 tech assistance, scheduled soon.

My problem is the same as KRMart except that my PC is an HP.  The setup did not allow naming the NetBios longer than 15 letters and no special characters were allowed either.  SMB-1 is enabled.  Network is set to Private.  All permissions for Sonos access have been granted.  Norton 360 has been ruled out as the cause because the problem persisted even when Norton was uninstalled. And as already mentioned, Microsoft also did not have an answer.  Somewhat reassuring that I am not the only one with this problem, but frustrating that Sonos does not have a ready solution since the problem is obviously not unique  to me.  I have spent many hours with Sonos tech support with remote access, which was then elevated to their level 2 tech and I am awaiting level 3 tech assistance, scheduled soon.

Is it perhaps a case you need to have a secure client for Microsoft Networks and therefore have a username and password to logon to the PC …and then use those credentials for the share, perhaps🤔? Maybe worth trying that and see if it works for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

No.  I wasn’t allowed to create a computer name with odd characters.  After initial messages when I tried to connect with the Music Library indicating that the computer could not be found, now the messages are that the computer refuses to let Sonos connect with it.  Sonos correctly identifies the computer name.

As you setup your home network make sure that it is “private”.

In the SONOS library setup dialog sometimes, giving the IP address of the computer, rather than its name is helpful. Eventually, probably be challenged for the share’s username and password.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Already set the network to private even before consulting tech support.  Sonos tech, amongst many other things, tried the IP address instead of the computer name.  Still no success.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ken,  I am not exactly sure how to do that, but that will be on my list of questions for the level 3 tech that I am supposed to talk to soon.  Not sure if it is related, but I have no problem accessing other Sonos functions/services on my Connect and Play 5 speakers, just unable to access my music folder on my Win11 PC.

I wondered if it could be that Sonos is trying to connect via the 5 GHz setting on my router, something that Sonos did not notice until I pointed that out to the level 2 tech.  It is possible, maybe likely, that the Sonos 1 Controller may not work with 5 GHz.  So I went into my router settings.  Band steering had been disabled for the 2.4 GHz band, so I enabled it and tried the current channel 11, then 6 and 1, but with no success.  I tried all three channels with band steering disabled and with the same result.  In some cases Sonos could not find my PC, in most cases the PC refused Sonos access.  There might be more along these lines that could be done with the router settings to make sure that Sonos only connects to 2.4.  We’ll see what Sonos level 3 support thinks about that.