New SONOS app: many features no longer available!

Userlevel 6
Badge

Think twice before you install the new SONOS app as at least the following features are no longer available (temporarily or permanently):

• Sleeptimer has disappeared completely. Either you sleep the entire night with music on or you wake up to switch off the music… Quite defeats the purpose.
  • Alarms: creating and editing an alarm is no longer possible. You can only toggle an existing alarm on and off.
  • Local music library: make sure you don’t remove it as it is no longer possible to add a local music library stored on a NAS or shared device. Also the search doesn’t work on the local library any longer; it only searches the online music services. Sonos seems to have finally let down its initial user population that made Sonos big before music streaming services existed…

Either this is a deliberate choice by Sonos to reduce the functionality or someone validated a pre-beta release for production to meet some preset deadlines… In any case, don’t upgrade if you need these features.

171 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

While the substandard app release is a concern, I’m more worried about what the new web based interface (in place of the desktop app) means.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-new-s2-app-simplifies-audio-control-but-theres-a-catch-or-two/

Part of the reason I chose Sonos was because I could use it with a local music library when the internet was down.  If it needs permanent connectivity to function at all that’s going to be a show stopper at all. 

Thanks for sharing that article. It did try to "glam up" the new app in parts, (I suppose it had to I guess). This possibly explains why each morning you have to completely restart the App, maybe because the web tokens have expired. It's kind of surprising also that SONOS don't have any API methods for the timer and alarms if this is all going "via browser". It still stands that's it's appalling how this new app was unleashed on the masses. They really should've released it as a separate app. Maybe they're covering up a reason why they did this..... A potential vulnerability maybe? We'll see. 

Badge

What I also miss: when changing the volume there used to be numbers. For the radio I always used the same volume. That's impossible now.

I can not register my boost to my account anymore!! Tried everything but nothing works.

Sinds plaatsen van update werkt gans de App totaal niet meer zoals ervoor. Valt steeds weg en start dan opnieuw volledig op om dan weer van het scherm te verdwijnen. Gelukkig nog geen update gedaan op ander bedieningsapparaat, anders geen controle meer mogelijk.

Ook verschillende keren opnieuw geprobeerd, steeds de zelfde fout. 

Wat nu??

GO BACK>>>>>>>https://apkpure.com/sonos/com.sonos.acr2/versions

Userlevel 2

Uninstall/remove/throw away the 'new’ Sonos app 

And after that download the 16-1 apk and install
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/
And you'll be able to use your phone or tablet like you used to 4 days ago
Enjoy!

Userlevel 3
Badge

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/
Enjoy!

Worked. I have the old Sonos back. If they disable this version before the new one is completely fixed, I’ll be done with Sonos and will make a complete break. A disgraceful act on this company’s part.

I've followed the above instructions, uninstalled and downgraded the app.

Sleep timer is an essential function for me, and I won't be using the new app until it's re-added. It also runs slower, and is missing other features which are important.

I'm sure SONOS are listening, but this was a bad mis-step that could.have been avoided, and has created a real customer sentiment issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've followed the above instructions, uninstalled and downgraded the app.

Sleep timer is an essential function for me, and I won't be using the new app until it's re-added. It also runs slower, and is missing other features which are important.

I'm sure SONOS are listening, but this was a bad mis-step that could.have been avoided, and has created a real customer sentiment issue.

Hear Hear! Totally agree 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Enjoy!

Older working Sonos on my tablet. New Sonos still on my phone. I believe that the new Sonos tries to do everything via the Web, and not on your immediate Wired / Wireless Local LAN, thus the poor connectivity, plus it forgetting what system it's connected to.

The new Sonos app does not link properly with IDAGIO, and stops playing after each movement instead of playing  a whole symphony, concerto, whatever. Changing volume or speakers is slow and clunky. The previous app played IDAGIO seamlessly.  By chance, I have just installed a Bose 600 TV soundbar, and I discovered that IDAGIO links perfectly with that. So I am now planning to find a non-Sonos solution. The  Sonos phone support line in the USA has a current wait time of 70 minutes. All totally unprofessional and unacceptable.

Insane. Logged on to play music and app was just gone. New app appeared in PlayStore ALL OF MY FEATURES and services are gone. Just getting an Error Code 401Unauthorozed.

Why Sonos???? If it's not broken....DONT BREAK IT! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

You might think that a CONTROLLER app would actually let you CONTROL the audio that plays on this audio system.

Ha ha ha ha, joke's on all of us because it no longer does its MOST BASIC FUNCTION. I can't choose what song is going to play next, I can't take a song out of the queue, I can't even clear the queue to try to start lining up music fresh. In other words I CANNOT CONTROL what will play. Thus this is not actually a controller app. Not sure what it IS, but it's definitely NOT a functional controller. 

Thank heavens I could download an APK of the old S2 app and reinstall that instead! And I made sure to turn off auto updates both in the app, and in the Google Play store, so hopefully they can't brick my system without warning again in the future.

Userlevel 2
Badge

How can my queue be empty when I’m playing music. My God I’ve never seen such a rubbish app

I’ve tried to read through most of the replies but I don’t think this was mentioned. 

with this update I lost all of my custom url streaming links via tunein. The new tunein integration does not seem to allow me to add them back in. And Sonos has not updated their how to guide on what to do in this situation.

Along with all the other complaints this one needs to be added to their fix this soon bucket list or I’ll reconsider any further purchases.  I wanted to get invested into this ecosystem but after this update I can’t get behind that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve tried to read through most of the replies but I don’t think this was mentioned. 

with this update I lost all of my custom url streaming links via tunein. The new tunein integration does not seem to allow me to add them back in. And Sonos has not updated their how to guide on what to do in this situation.

Along with all the other complaints this one needs to be added to their fix this soon bucket list or I’ll reconsider any further purchases.  I wanted to get invested into this ecosystem but after this update I can’t get behind that.

I'm not sure how effective it will be but I posted my feedback through the app's Help and Feedback.

To anyone at the decision-making level at Sonos:

1. Bring back sleep timer
  2. bring back ability to create and edit alarms

Please!!

Don't forget the local library functionality.....

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

To anyone at the decision-making level at Sonos:

1. Bring back sleep timer
  2. bring back ability to create and edit alarms

Please!!

Don't forget the local library functionality.....

Yes. I mentioned that in my feedback too.

… I’ll write something positive about the new app. I think it’s fabulous, I finally have a stress free life! Music doesn’t suddenly disappear and reappear when streaming Sonos. Listening to the television is finally a relaxing moment. For the last three years it has done nothing but falter, sound disappears, delays in adjusting volume of up to 12 seconds… I think during the last two years I have endured indescribable suffering. I never knew what the cause was… I even changed internet provider once. Or was it the television, it was after all old. But no! It was the old SONOS app. I really don’t mind waiting for the updates. I am now just enjoying listening to music on my system without stress. 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

… I’ll write something positive about the new app. I think it’s fabulous, I finally have a stress free life! Music doesn’t suddenly disappear and reappear when streaming Sonos. Listening to the television is finally a relaxing moment. For the last three years it has done nothing but falter, sound disappears, delays in adjusting volume of up to 12 seconds… I think during the last two years I have endured indescribable suffering. I never knew what the cause was… I even changed internet provider once. Or was it the television, it was after all old. But no! It was the old SONOS app. I really don’t mind waiting for the updates. I am now just enjoying listening to music on my system without stress. 😁

Sounds like your speakers and equipment finally got updated along with this, good -- but a crap mobile-device controller app is not necessary for that and shouldn't be tolerated for mere minimum functionality of your speakers.

Userlevel 3
Badge

New app is slow, instable, misses features and absolutely not intuitive.

I moved away from Sonos years ago because of Sonos constantly removing features or not supporting legacy hardware (controllers and speakers) anymore. Go to BluOs, better quality, stability and UI.

My old dad is still using Sonos but is completely lost after the new update,  music was his life .. 

Like buying a car and suddenly the company update the software and disable 2 doors and call it a bold update…..

Userlevel 2

Enjoy!

Thank you for saving me finding this myself. Enshittification at it’s finest. I would laugh had I not spend a significant amount of money on hardware. Honestly thought Sonos could be trusted.

I can't even login to see my system. Absolute dog doodle.

Userlevel 1

Can’t turn truplay on and off anymore 

can’t turn auto update on and off which was a handy feature I always kept mine off so when Sonos released a update I always done research first to make sure it’s good to go 

no percentage on volume 

the list goes on and on 

Sonos why did you release this update with so many features missing you have so many loyal unhappy customers 

please fix this soon